Preview Changes & Preview Thread for QF2, 2024 vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Biggest statement for me was "Theres no finals team that wants the chaos game more than Geelong does".

My takeaway is that because their midfield isn't as good as other teams, they want to lock down the midfield and make it a slog. When we played them last time, we were smashing them in the middle in the first half with lots of easy clearances and easy scores, they then went to town on locking down JHF and tightening it up.

I rewatched that game last night... we went in with Visentini leading ruck ... and he did a reasonable job, but if we are honest we would expect more out of Sweet. They also activated their sub Oisin Mullin midway through the game to put a lock on JHF. From what I can tell Mullin hasnt been in great form and hasnt played since round 16, so it will be interesting to see what they do there.
They were missing their top 3 clearance winners - Dangerfield, Bruhn, Bowes.

We should still expect to win the midfield but they will at least be competitive this time around

He’ll play back for sure, Narkle playing against his old side in a final, it just feels right😉
Sinn can go on the wing alternating with Jase down back. But I can not see Ken picking him.

We need a flying start in the first quarter, LBJ should start in the forward line and be an option for down back (if required).

If jed and Todd play we will lose. Just no place in the team for their levels of non impact.
Todd now at orazio levels of not being able to get past the 1st qtr

If jed and Todd play we will lose. Just no place in the team for their levels of non impact.
Todd now at orazio levels of not being able to get past the 1st qtr
Clearly the key to winning is playing Evans and Narkle, 2 Geelong delistees who have done nothing at Port. In place of Marshall and McEntee who have both played key roles in wins against Geelong. If we don't do that we will lose.

🚨 doctor time 🚨

Sinn probably needed to string a few good games together in the SANFL, he just hasn't been able to do that due to injury and form.

I think he has the makings of a good player, but definitely needs more minutes on the field, we don't have time for trial and error here. Whilst he does have a nice kick, quite often in the games he has played he was quite panicked and rushed with his kicking, resulting in a lot of dump kicks, we need composure in defence. Sinn in was a nice idea, but would've been a risk.

I don't really understand how we are being cute or risky putting DBJ down back, a position he actually was AA in once before over, if anything that is the safe bet with the next option being moving Burgoyne or bringing in Williams. Sinn was always the biggest gamble.

Narkle and Evans should be able to cover DBJ offensively.
The risk is if we have an injury to a small defender who goes back?

Burgoyne I guess?

It certainly can't be Narkle or Evans.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Narkle, Evans and McEntee is surely the worst collection of small forwards to take the field in a Qualifying Final in AFL history. Narkle is the best one of that lot, and he's like a 6/10 on a good day.

Probably gonna need Rioli to kick 3 or 4 at a minimum to win this.

Narkle, Evans and McEntee is surely the worst collection of small forwards to take the field in a Qualifying Final in AFL history. Narkle is the best one of that lot, and he's like a 6/10 on a good day.

How good is Kenny for getting us to this position? What a king!

Anyone looking to purchase a couple tickets that may have missed out. I've got two, row c, seats 3 and 4 in section 322.

Wife can't go due to kids, and i can sit with another group.

Please let me know if interested.

But we finished second....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can see the logic behind DBJ back and Narkle in.

That robs our forwardline of an important scoring link, but it keeps a very similar structure with a shuffle in personnel. He hasn't done it for a while, but DBJ is probably also best equipt defensively for Geelong's smalls, compared to the alternatives.

Marshall in for Farrell instead of Narkle is a change to structure. We'd need to adjust our gameplan to give the talls more scoring opportunities, rather than just having them (aside from MG) bring the ball to ground, and that's not happening in a final. No point bringing the ball to ground if there's nobody there to get it.

I can see the logic behind DBJ back and Narkle in.

That robs our forwardline of an important scoring link, but it keeps a very similar structure with a shuffle in personnel. He hasn't done it for a while, but DBJ is probably also best equipt defensively for Geelong's smalls, compared to the alternatives.

Marshall in for Farrell instead of Narkle is a change to structure. We'd need to adjust our gameplan to give the talls more scoring opportunities, rather than just having them (aside from MG) bring the ball to ground, and that's not happening in a final. No point bringing the ball to ground if there's nobody there to get it.
We need to adjust our gameplan more if it's DBJ down back for Farrell. Farrell and Houston have minimal defensive responsibilities which allows them to attack as HBs. If DBJ stays as a lockdown defender on their smalls, who's doing the attacking as HBs? Evans and Burton yes but we've always had 3. It has to be Sinn down back for this very reason.

And please don't tell me DBJ is attacking cause we're in a world of trouble if he is haha

Here's how they compare.

View attachment 2100318
And that does not factor in the amount of full games where Evans & Narkle are often the Sub.
Where Narkle who is not a forward is the ideal sub.

For what it's worth I noted this on the Geelong thread.

QUOTE: I would much prefer Port play Esava in defence, than forward.

His unpredictable play causes issues in defence but he can be a handful on his day forward.

He was forced into defence and ruck at Geelong after we got Cameron and it was never his go.

Port have made the right call here.

I have a feeling if McEntee goes to him again he will give away free after free.

Scott will have spoken to the umpires and they will be on the look out for any infringement.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app
On the main board someone said Scott had brought the issue up on Melbourne radio & had discussed it with umps.

On the main board someone said Scott had brought the issue up on Melbourne radio & had discussed it with umps.

There's some heavy-duty irony for you. Chris Scott complaining about a small forward roughing up a tall defender.

Yep we have the worst forward line since Collingwood, Melbourne and Richmond x3. We're stuffed

My concern is the Cats know our Jed plan for Stewart and in fact changed Stewarts position from a pure defender where Umpires ignore holds on defenders but they do and should, pay a free when a mid is infringed.

Taking what you have said, and I agree with you.
Is the list good enough to win a flag ?
Having the worst collection of small forwards in AFL history doesn’t sound promising.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back