Preview Changes & Preview Thread for Round 24, 2024 vs Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we're playing the 'who would we rather play' game, I'd rather cop the harder game against GWS in a QF where we haven't historically shit the bed like we have in elimination finals. If we win that we hopefully get the easier game against Geelong in a prelim. If we lose it we're not doing shit this year anyway.

The problem with this idea is that if Geelong finish 4th and lose to Sydney they'll very likely be playing Brisbane in a SF and it won't be Geelong we're playing in a PF.

The problem with this idea is that if Geelong finish 4th and lose to Sydney they'll very likely be playing Brisbane in a SF and it won't be Geelong we're playing in a PF.

QF vs GWS (who we lost to the last time we met) and a PF vs Brisbane (who we lost to the last time we met) would be perfect lol.

But how interesting would it be if we do meet Brisbane in finals? That’s where the booing of Hinkley started and that’s what clicked this team into gear and sparked the turnaround.

QF vs GWS (who we lost to the last time we met) and a PF vs Brisbane (who we lost to the last time we met) would be perfect lol.

But how interesting would it be if we do meet Brisbane in finals? That’s where the booing of Hinkley started and that’s what clicked this team into gear and sparked the turnaround.
I can vouch for this - I feel weirdly more confident vsing a team we lost to earlier in the year to get them back (or in this case, get them both back for 2023 finals series).

As opposed to doing the classic Port and possibly losing to Geelong in the one that matters more, when we beat them earlier at their home.

Am I crazy for thinking this?

I can vouch for this - I feel weirdly more confident vsing a team we lost to earlier in the year to get them back (or in this case, get them both back for 2023 finals series).

As opposed to doing the classic Port and possibly losing to Geelong in the one that matters more, when we beat them earlier at their home.

Am I crazy for thinking this?

Every final we’ve played in since 2014:

2014:
  • EF: Beat Richmond who we lost to the last time we met
  • SF: Beat Fremantle who we lost to the last time we met
  • PF: Lost to Hawthorn who we beat the last time we met

2017:
- EF: Lost to West Coast who we beat the last time we met

2020:
  • QF: Beat Geelong who we lost to the last time we met
  • PF: Lost to Richmond who we beat the last time we met

2021:
  • QF: Beat Geelong who we lost to the last time we met
  • PF: Lost to Western Bulldogs who we beat the last time we met

2023:
  • QF: Lost to Brisbane who we beat the last time we met
  • SF: Lost to GWS who we beat the last time we met

Why? We don't have a single fit KPF in form. The KPF line in the showdown was an absolute train wreck, a non event. Why would you not bring back a clearly more capable player than Ratugolea or Burton?
Marshall has a a history of concussions, the other year he was even knocked out at training.
He was subbed out in Round 16 against St Kilda due to a muscle injury, then injured with a Hip strain against Gold Coast.

Where since R18 he has had eight possession !!!!

Why? We don't have a single fit KPF in form. The KPF line in the showdown was an absolute train wreck, a non event. Why would you not bring back a clearly more capable player than Ratugolea or Burton?
It wasn't a night for key forwards. There were only 11 marks taken inside 50 for both teams the entire game.

It wasn't a night for key forwards. There were only 11 marks taken inside 50 for both teams the entire game.

This excuse wouldn't be allowed if Marshall was playing. He'd be slated on this board for not having an impact. This is the sort of bullshit double standard I'm talking about. Ratugolea is playing football that would see this board calling for Marshall's immediate delisting if it were him.

Fogarty and Thilthorpe kicked 3 between them, playing on far higher quality defenders and for a shit team with a poor midfield. Our KPFs kicked 0 goals.

Ratugolea isn't good enough as a KPF. Burton isn't good enough arguably in any role.

This excuse wouldn't be allowed if Marshall was playing. He'd be slated on this board for not having an impact. This is the sort of bullshit double standard I'm talking about. Ratugolea is playing football that would see this board calling for Marshall's immediate delisting if it were him.

Fogarty and Thilthorpe kicked 3 between them, playing on far higher quality defenders and for a shit team with a poor midfield. Our KPFs kicked 0 goals.

Ratugolea isn't good enough as a KPF. Burton isn't good enough arguably in any role.

Marshall's stats have been terrible for months as well. So if you've got two players who both do not much but one at least looks like he provides a contest when the ball is kicked to him, it's obvious which one you pick.

Please Ryan Burton, please be the player that Hawthorn supporters talked you up about for once

Please Ryan Burton, please be the player that Hawthorn supporters talked you up about for once
funnily enough I was just coming over to ask about him.

I know both burton/houston played together in the showdown but had previously though Burton fallen out of favour in the best 23? Or was it injury keeping him out of the team?

How do you see the backline shaping up with houston out?

I didn't think burto played great on the weekend although didn't focus too closely on him.

He really was playing some pretty good footy for us back in 2017/2018.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know both burton/houston played together in the showdown but had previously though Burton fallen out of favour in the best 23? Or was it injury keeping him out of the team?

I didn't think burto played great on the weekend although didn't focus too closely on him.

Burton has been shit for years. Weak as piss

He did some things that said ‘don’t pick me’ next week…

There’s Burton , Sinn or Dyl Will , Burton at his best but is he ? I’d be tempted to go Williams , but they’re all pretty line ball That Houston run and deliver through the corridor is what we need to try and recreate, .
Whoever gets the gig will have the chance to elevate their game

Thoughts on Soldo playing as key forward and 2nd ruck to Sweet as opposed to Dixon?

I don't believe for a minute it would be considered but I can't see Charlie doing much in the finals up forward that Soldo couldn't do, and Ivan would is the better ruck.

Also doubles as an insurance policy if Sweet is injured during the match.

Note I haven't seen Ivan play since his last AFL game so no idea how he's travelling.

I don't believe for a minute it would be considered but I can't see Charlie doing much in the finals up forward that Soldo couldn't do, and Ivan would is the better ruck.
Boggles my mind that people can genuinely believe things like this. And I don't even like Dixon.

Boggles my mind that people can genuinely believe things like this. And I don't even like Dixon.
Why so?

He wasn't considered first choice start of the season. If he's a guarantee starter for a finals campaign than he should have at least a one year extension in front of him.

Ignoring the shooting gallery game against Swans and hard to judge him on showdown performance given conditions.
He managed to get 2 important goals against Melbourne in a quieter game but struggled against Carlton in both matches.

Also went goalless against Hawthorn and Geelong but too far back for me to remember how he played.

Reckon he missed GWS, Bulldogs & Brisbane

Given quality of opposition and pace of the game goes up from here, I wouldn't say he's a lock to take the game by the scruff of the neck like 2017 where it was only his kicking for goal that let him down.

Granted he brings physical presence and team comradery but why isn't it fair to ponder if we could get more with a different option?

I definitely wouldn't swap him for Marshall or Mitch different roles, nor Lord who hasn't made the most of his chances, but if Ivan has returned to some form, and given he offers different options, like Ratugolea, why not ask the question?

Thoughts on Soldo playing as key forward and 2nd ruck to Sweet as opposed to Dixon?

Also doubles as an insurance policy if Sweet is injured during the match.

Note I haven't seen Ivan play since his last AFL game so no idea how he's travelling.

I'd have Dixon fairly comfortably ahead of Soldo, that said I could happily see Soldo playing KPF if the alternative is Burton or Ratugolea. Soldo can clunk a mark and is a nice set shot, but Dixon is a much more well rounded player, good below his knees and gives off pretty good handballs etc. He forces the defense to be accountable to him even if he's out of form. He takes a lot of heat off of Georgiades.

My order of preference is basically:

Georgiades >>>>>>>>>>> Marshall/Dixon >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Soldo > Lord > Ratugolea > Anyone else.

If Marshall is fit to play -
Do we?

People will already know my opinion, but the truth is that the alternatives just aren't good enough.

I'd hope that if the risk is too high that the doctors will just rule him out. But he's a clearly better option than whoever else might be up there if he is fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back