Preview Changes & Preview Thread for Round 24, 2024 vs Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd have Dixon fairly comfortably ahead of Soldo, that said I could happily see Soldo playing KPF if the alternative is Burton or Ratugolea. Soldo can clunk a mark and is a nice set shot, but Dixon is a much more well rounded player, good below his knees and gives off pretty good handballs etc. He forces the defense to be accountable to him even if he's out of form. He takes a lot of heat off of Georgiades.

My order of preference is basically:

Georgiades >>>>>>>>>>> Marshall/Dixon >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Soldo > Lord > Ratugolea > Anyone else.
Fair, definitely have Dixon ahead of Soldo as pure forward, but watching Sweet come off injured in the showdown got me thinking. Had Sweet not come back on, do we win that game with Dixon closing out the ruck role.

Not sure I'd play Soldo and Dixon in the same side with Sweet either. While Ratugolea frustrates me for lack of football know how, I don't mind how he provides options for the back line if circumstances calls for it.

Also would be taking zero chances with Mitch or Todd this weekend of any questions on their ability to play a full game or hit a contest.

People will already know my opinion, but the truth is that the alternatives just aren't good enough.

I'd hope that if the risk is too high that the doctors will just rule him out. But he's a clearly better option than whoever else might be up there if he is fit.

He’d be what, one more concussion away from retiring? But like you said unless George plays I guess he has to come in.

At least my spud Evans is doing his bit.

I want to see Houston out there kitted up ready to play to **** with the minds of the opposition, commentators and the AFL!

Then as he makes he way to the bench he gives a big f.u. to the camera.

Why? We don't have a single fit KPF in form. The KPF line in the showdown was an absolute train wreck, a non event. Why would you not bring back a clearly more capable player than Ratugolea or Burton?
Seriously mate , when does Marshall become capable forward ? . He has 7 years to show his talent . Some people are sweating on Esava 2 games . Even then he was crashing pack for us and making much easier for his team mates .

Seriously, wanting to avoid teams, if we’re good enough we beat them!

As stated, I’d throw JHf to Houston’s role. If we’re ontop push him middle and forward, under the pump play the quarter back. We have the attacking mids to cover his potential loss.

You don’t change what’s working and jhf should be no where near the backline when he’s so important mid or forward

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Seriously mate , when does Marshall become capable forward ? . He has 7 years to show his talent . Some people are sweating on Esava 2 games . Even then he was crashing pack for us and making much easier for his team mates .

He already is a capable forward. He's already demonstrated it.

Esava has also played a heap of KPF at AFL level, we also know what he's capable of, and it's clear, Marshall is better.

Even this season where Marshall hasn't been at his best, he's producing more than Esava ever has as a KPF at any point in his career. Esava has had 4 games at it now for us, and he's offered nothing.

Whether Marshall is good enough or not can be debated, but you can't reasonably argue that we have 3 KPFs better than him on the list.

He already is a capable forward. He's already demonstrated it.

Esava has also played a heap of KPF at AFL level, we also know what he's capable of, and it's clear, Marshall is better.

Even this season where Marshall hasn't been at his best, he's producing more than Esava ever has as a KPF at any point in his career. Esava has had 4 games at it now for us, and he's offered nothing.

Whether Marshall is good enough or not can be debated, but you can't reasonably argue that we have 3 KPFs better than him on the list.
Marshall lacks 4 important attributes that Esava has, guts, strength, heart and will (attributes crucial for finals footy) All the talent in the world can’t account for those 4 things. Esava has a presence in our forward line and regardless of his shortcoming, He worries the opposition. I tell you what I’d rather go up against the frail Marshall then the monster Esava any day of the week

Thoughts on Soldo playing as key forward and 2nd ruck to Sweet as opposed to Dixon?

I don't believe for a minute it would be considered but I can't see Charlie doing much in the finals up forward that Soldo couldn't do, and Ivan would is the better ruck.

Also doubles as an insurance policy if Sweet is injured during the match.

Note I haven't seen Ivan play since his last AFL game so no idea how he's travelling.

Another week in the sanfl.

I'd fly Dante to Perth as emergency at least and give Soldo a full sanfl game in the ruck.

Esava may not hit the scoreboard directly much, but he has a presence about him and we're a team that likes to bomb long and hope when the heat is on. He seems the most likely to actually mark one of those at a crucial moment in a final.

Whether he actually kicks the goal is another story. But with Dixon less effective now, he suits our gameplan... So long as MG is playing as well so we can actually score.

Every final we’ve played in since 2014:

2014:
  • EF: Beat Richmond who we lost to the last time we met
  • SF: Beat Fremantle who we lost to the last time we met
  • PF: Lost to Hawthorn who we beat the last time we met

2017:
- EF: Lost to West Coast who we beat the last time we met

2020:
  • QF: Beat Geelong who we lost to the last time we met
  • PF: Lost to Richmond who we beat the last time we met

2021:
  • QF: Beat Geelong who we lost to the last time we met
  • PF: Lost to Western Bulldogs who we beat the last time we met

2023:
  • QF: Lost to Brisbane who we beat the last time we met
  • SF: Lost to GWS who we beat the last time we met
Great stat work. Crazy.

We really need to have a back up ruck. There's nothing worse than losing your ruck through a game and having to make shift which upsets the forward line. If Sweet goes down in a final we are stuffed. He has a suspect shoulder already.
We know Ken runs out rucks into the ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dixon and Rat are providing contests, something that Marshall has been struggling to do.

Soldo over Dixon, for mine, is crazy talk.

Dixon is cooked and he tries his frigging heart out. He doesn't have the body power anymore and sometimes gets pushed around like an old man out there but he's constantly looking to do what he can for the team. It is painful to watch him miss marks he would've gobbled up even a year ago but that is the way it goes.

Rat is fine.

I'm a Marshall fan but you can't play him in finals. Opposition will give him one big clash and he's back on protocols and out for the game.

I'd seriously think about playing Lord this week and see what he can do. He played well in that final last year.

Georgiades has been one of the key cogs in our recent form. When he's out, we've struggled a bit and when he's in, he finishes plays with goals.

Last edited:
Why so?

He wasn't considered first choice start of the season. If he's a guarantee starter for a finals campaign than he should have at least a one year extension in front of him.

Ignoring the shooting gallery game against Swans and hard to judge him on showdown performance given conditions.
He managed to get 2 important goals against Melbourne in a quieter game but struggled against Carlton in both matches.

Also went goalless against Hawthorn and Geelong but too far back for me to remember how he played.

Reckon he missed GWS, Bulldogs & Brisbane

Given quality of opposition and pace of the game goes up from here, I wouldn't say he's a lock to take the game by the scruff of the neck like 2017 where it was only his kicking for goal that let him down.

Granted he brings physical presence and team comradery but why isn't it fair to ponder if we could get more with a different option?

I definitely wouldn't swap him for Marshall or Mitch different roles, nor Lord who hasn't made the most of his chances, but if Ivan has returned to some form, and given he offers different options, like Ratugolea, why not ask the question?
Because Ivan isn't a forward and Dixon is? Dixon kicks a goal and a half a game. Ivan played mostly ruck/forward at Richmond but has never even averaged a goal a game, let alone a goal and a half. Dixon averages 3.8 marks a game, Ivan averages 2.2.

Dixon is far from the player he once was, but the idea that we can just stick any random tall bloke up forward and have them replace 4 marks and a goal and a half a game is absurd. Marshall, Ratugolea and Lord all haven't gotten close to those numbers and those guys are actual forwards, why do you think a ruckman who has never shown a lick of forward ability in his life is going to be able to do it?

Burton at his best is the best option to replace Houston for sure. The question is if he can get to that and if he can get rid of all the pea hearted bullshit he was doing earlier in the season.
yeah agree, hes the closest we have in skills, as you say needs to get much much harder at the contest.

I wouldnt be adverse to them trying rozee back there from time to time, might be worth a look in the freo game.

Last edited:
Burton has been shit for 2 full seasons, including as recently as Saturday eve. He's not going to suddenly come good in a huge final.

There is no one to replace Dan. We're screwed.

I'd go as far to say that I would rather have come from positions 5-8 with Dan in the side, vs top4 without him. I reckon he is that important to our game plan.

Because Ivan isn't a forward and Dixon is? Dixon kicks a goal and a half a game. Ivan played mostly ruck/forward at Richmond but has never even averaged a goal a game, let alone a goal and a half. Dixon averages 3.8 marks a game, Ivan averages 2.2.

Dixon is far from the player he once was, but the idea that we can just stick any random tall bloke up forward and have them replace 4 marks and a goal and a half a game is absurd. Marshall, Ratugolea and Lord all haven't gotten close to those numbers and those guys are actual forwards, why do you think a ruckman who has never shown a lick of forward ability in his life is going to be able to do it?
Agree Soldo no where near Dixon forward craft. We definitely lose in the forward line making the swap. But we get a bit in the mid when Soldo plays 2nd ruck.

Question I'm asking is can Soldo show enough between now and week 1 of the finals justify what we gain in the mid is more than what we lose up front.

Our whole game is built on winning the mid and setting up behind the ball to lock it in. Listening to Zak's comments about Sweet just emphasises how much we missed having a dominate ruck.

Obviously all hypothetical because I have zero idea on how Ivan is tracking both as a ruck option and competing up front.

Also a risky change given Ivan has zero form atm, so probably also a question of the risk of Sweet breaking down during a final than Dixon's form.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back