Preview Changes & Preview Thread for Round 24, 2024 vs Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no one to replace Dan. We're screwed.

I'd go as far to say that I would rather have come from positions 5-8 with Dan in the side, vs top4 without him. I reckon he is that important to our game plan.
Won 2004 without Franco and Primus but we're screwed if we lose a HBF?

Granted Dan's a gun, but old Ports would be busting at the bit to win this and stick it up them. 5 weeks is clearly a FU message. Dan to cope that on his first suspension running into a final campaign is over the top.

Partly blame the club for starting with accepting 3 weeks though.

Agree Soldo no where near Dixon forward craft. We definitely lose in the forward line making the swap. But we get a bit in the mid when Soldo plays 2nd ruck.

Question I'm asking is can Soldo show enough between now and week 1 of the finals justify what we gain in the mid is more than what we lose up front.

Our whole game is built on winning the mid and setting up behind the ball to lock it in. Listening to Zak's comments about Sweet just emphasises how much we missed having a dominate ruck.

Obviously all hypothetical because I have zero idea on how Ivan is tracking both as a ruck option and competing up front.

Also a risky change given Ivan has zero form atm, so probably also a question of the risk of Sweet breaking down during a final than Dixon's form.
Go and watch our game against Collingwood this year the last time we tried this. Sweet and Soldo both played their worst football of the year for three quarters until we relented and tactical subbed Sweet out, then dropped him the next week.

Go and watch our game against Collingwood this year the last time we tried this. Sweet and Soldo both played their worst football of the year for three quarters until we relented and tactical subbed Sweet out, then dropped him the next week.
You wouldn't have thought Sweet would be playing first ruck coming into the finals and be comfortable with it on the back of that game either.

But I hear you 2 rucks hasn't worked over a decade, hence why I'm focusing on the role Dixon is playing rather than Dixon himself.

You wouldn't have thought Sweet would be playing first ruck coming into the finals and be comfortable with it on the back of that game either.
I didn't judge Sweet either way on that game, because I understand that all playing two lumbering rucks in the same side does is ruin both of them.

Perfect time to bring in Sinn and figure this out. By now, Burton is a known quantity this year. Sinn had some good games early in the season, and has some advantages in that he's faster than Houston and Burton and he's relatively unknown to the opposition.

If he hits his straps now we might find an extra edge at the right time.

Marshall lacks 4 important attributes that Esava has, guts, strength, heart and will (attributes crucial for finals footy) All the talent in the world can’t account for those 4 things. Esava has a presence in our forward line and regardless of his shortcoming, He worries the opposition. I tell you what I’d rather go up against the frail Marshall then the monster Esava any day of the week

This is just the key forward version of a unique blend of speed and endurance. It's the sort of argument that was being used to defend Jake Neade when it had become clear he wasn't contributing as a forward, or Matt Thomas when it was clear he was a liability as a midfielder.

I'm sorry, you actually have to do something as well as look big and strong.

We just played in a heated rivalry game with huge connotations for our season and Esava's guts, strength, heart and will didn't do shit for us. We had zero aerial presence in our forward line or in transition. The same the week before.

This is just the key forward version of a unique blend of speed and endurance. It's the sort of argument that was being used to defend Jake Neade when it had become clear he wasn't contributing as a forward, or Matt Thomas when it was clear he was a liability as a midfielder.

I'm sorry, you actually have to do something as well as look big and strong.

We just played in a heated rivalry game with huge connotations for our season and Esava's guts, strength, heart and will didn't do shit for us. We had zero aerial presence in our forward line or in transition. The same the week before.
This is just rubbish. Watch the highlights and see how many times Esava is sitting under a high ball, getting scragged, holds position and drops the ball to the front of contest for a crumb.

And then follows up at ground level. He had 6 tackles.

There is zero chance Marshall marks any of those balls. There is a very high chance he gets out marked.

This wasn't a game against North Melbourne or Richmond where Todd roam in acres of space taking uncontested marks.

With Houston gone there's a few avenues to take.

Plugging Burton into the backline keeps some experience there, he has shown in the past he can be quality as a half back. Think he would be more defensive minded these days and Farrell and Evans will step up as distributors. One thing I worry with Burton is he is a massive downgrade on defensive pressure around stoppages, where Houston would often play a crucial role tackling and holding up opposition clearances. Someone like Jones can maybe take Houston's position at stoppage.

Bringing in Sinn would be looking forward to the probable future without Houston next year. Haven't seen enough of him at SANFL level, but most of his AFL games to date he's struggled to get up to the speed of the game. Think he will bring more around stoppages than Burton, but instead is a massive downgrade on Dan's clean disposal. Risky to rely on him so much coming into finals but could be a chance for him to show why Port were so desperate to get him in the draft.

More left of field is to shift Rozee into that role. He has the pedigree and can definitely cover Houston's skill set in most areas, but might not be ready to be so defensively accountable without warning. Have felt like he has struggled to impress himself on matches in the midfield since coming back from injury, especially with the shift in focus to inside accountability with Drew and Wines (will be important in finals) and the inevitable emergence of JHF. He's often drifting back to find the ball anyway, and could become an important leader in a now inexperienced backline.

Rozee could still have some mid rotations, but would mean that Boak and Mead increase their CBAs. This leaves a spot open on the wing for Lorenz, who seems to be the most in form option in the Magpies. Though it's an even bigger ask for a first year player to come in on the eve of finals.

I think it would be great if they can afford to tinker in a dead rubber against Freo. Take Burton, Sinn and Lorenz over (one of them as sub) and see what works the best to cover Houston.

This is just rubbish. Watch the highlights and see how many times Esava is sitting under a high ball, getting scragged, holds position and drops the ball to the front of contest for a crumb.

And then follows up at ground level. He had 6 tackles.

There is zero chance Marshall marks any of those balls. There is a very high chance he gets out marked.

This wasn't a game against North Melbourne or Richmond where Todd roam in acres of space taking uncontested marks.

This is just how people used to defend Matt Thomas again.

We didn't (and don't) need a poor man's Dixon sitting under high balls. We already have Dixon doing that at a much higher level. We needed someone to move and take marks on the lead to open up some space to unlock the defence.

Adelaide are 15th. Their tall defenders are at best, workmanlike. He wasn't holding his own against prime Alex Rance preventing an elite rebound. The Crows rebound is trash. Esava offered nothing and if Marshall had played the exact same game, you'd want him delisted.

This is just how people used to defend Matt Thomas again.

We didn't (and don't) need a poor man's Dixon sitting under high balls. We already have Dixon doing that at a much higher level. We needed someone to move and take marks on the lead to open up some space to unlock the defence.

Adelaide are 15th. Their tall defenders are at best, workmanlike. He wasn't holding his own against prime Alex Rance preventing an elite rebound. The Crows rebound is trash. Esava offered nothing and if Marshall had played the exact same game, you'd want him delisted.
Marshall has played the same game many times the year, except worse because his direct opponent takes 15 intercept marks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Marshall has played the same game many times the year, except worse because his direct opponent takes 15 intercept marks

Marshall hasn't had a 2 mark, 0 goal game this year in any game he's played more than 30% game time.

Marshall sucks but that’s not why we shouldn’t play him. His body is absolutely a problem and honestly until he’s had all the scans/tests etc his health should come first

Nobody would be debating if Brad Ebert should’ve played on after that knock in the prelim, Marshall is in the same category imho

i think we just go burton, the least risky option, burton has been here for a while, albeit in poor form, but has understanding of the port adelaide defensive system, in comparion to a sinn who has hardly played many games. in finals i think burton is the best option due to experience.

Didn't drop Sweet after the Collingwood game. It was actually Soldo who went out. Weirdly enough we never listed him as injured until he was also not playing for the Magpies.

More left of field is to shift Rozee into that role. He has the pedigree and can definitely cover Houston's skill set in most areas, but might not be ready to be so defensively accountable without warning. Have felt like he has struggled to impress himself on matches in the midfield since coming back from injury, especially with the shift in focus to inside accountability with Drew and Wines (will be important in finals) and the inevitable emergence of JHF. He's often drifting back to find the ball anyway, and could become an important leader in a now inexperienced backline
I assume that Hinkley will go with the easy option and play Burton there but this is such an intriguing option that I'm a bit miffed I didn't think of it myself.

I mean Rozee could easily play that role to perfection and he's been a bit down since the injury and this could be a really good way to get him back in form with the quarterback seagull position.

In the very least, it should be looked at for a half.

Would've been interesting to see what we'd have done if Finlayson was available.

Could Rozee fill the Houston hole? He was drafted after winning a flag at HBF with North Adelaide. he already gets back to help with rebound and his impact at stoppages has been minimal this year- this means he can take on a more outside role in attack. Could be the making of his captaincy as a quarterback style general a la Hodge.

The half back distributor is such a crucial role and don't really want to go into a finals series relying on an untried kid (Sinn) or washed senior player (Burton) to find their feet. Also takes from an area we are flush in and have decent options to cover i.e. Boak and JHF up their mid minutes.

No to Rozee at HBF

It's either Burton or Sinn realistically. Wouldn't put Burgoyne back there.
Would've been interesting to see what we'd have done if Finlayson was available.

Love Jezza but I'm parly thankful he's out for the remainder. He just wasn't in it unfortunately and put pressure on the entire team around him.

I'd say Sinn for Jones if he isn't fit, but otherwise as a replacement for Houston

With Treacy out Fremantle are gonna be quite small so Sinn's speed would be handy

Otherwise, Georgiades for Burton is a must.

Burton to be banished back so the SANFL and included as steak knives in a trade

No idea how the back structure of Port works but I would hazard a guess that Burton's drop off in form and Houstons emergence as an elite HBF may have something to do with the roles they've been asked to play the last few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back