Preview Changes & Preview Thread for Round 24, 2024 vs Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reading through some of the ridiculous suggestions in this thread really demonstrates just how ill equipped we are to replace Dan.

For a club that is obsessed with recruiting half back flanks, we sure do lack (quality) depth at HBF…

Houston didn't do much defending anyway so I don't see a Houston for Burton change impacting our defence much. Burton and Houston are probably equivalent in the air.

Ball movement will be worse but Houston is irreplaceable in that respect.

Houston didn't do much defending anyway so I don't see a Houston for Burton change impacting our defence much. Burton and Houston are probably equivalent in the air.

Ball movement will be worse but Houston is irreplaceable in that respect.
It shouldn't impact too much. Biggest difference is Houston had an elite field kick. Burton has a great kick too but no Houston. Houston was also playing like a centre half back position in a way but running straight into the midfield to get receives.

People need to remember, Bergman playing solely back position now has freed up Houston more. When Burton was playing, Bergs was still on wing. Also, during that period they had Esava back there and the backline looked a bit disorientated. Now, with just Zerk, Aliir, Bergs and even Jones with help of Evans is much better and tighten.

I believe Burton should be fine. Just need either him or Farrell running into the midfield at bounce to get receives, etc, more.

Is Lorenz a chance this week?

I would say, yes. They should just in case they need a player for finals if any injuries or concussion etc.. I would rather Port allow Lorenz this one game here over letting McEntee, Williams and others in.

Perhaps Houston out, Georgiades in, Burton half back. If Jones good to go then leave him in. And bring Narkle in for the full game instead of Evans this time with Lorenz as sub. Let him go on after half time to rest a key player if Port up or what ever. Frankie Evans has done good recently but Narkle needs a good full game in AFL not SANFL prior to finals.

If McEntee plays any finals it MAY be against cats for Tommy Stewart as he funny enough always seems to do a solid job.

I would say, yes. They should just in case they need a player for finals if any injuries or concussion etc.. I would rather Port allow Lorenz this one game here over letting McEntee, Williams and others in.

Perhaps Houston out, Georgiades in, Burton half back. If Jones good to go then leave him in. And bring Narkle in for the full game instead of Evans this time with Lorenz as sub. Let him go on after half time to rest a key player if Port up or what ever. Frankie Evans has done good recently but Narkle needs a good full game in AFL not SANFL prior to finals.

If McEntee plays any finals it MAY be against cats for Tommy Stewart as he funny enough always seems to do a solid job.
catters 0-6 when stewert has been tagged. wouldnt mind it

catters 0-6 when stewert has been tagged. wouldnt mind it
Would rather Evens do a number on him and stick it up them.

But I’m romantic like that… and it means Jed doesn’t get another Hrmm game the following week and cost us.

This is just how people used to defend Matt Thomas again.

We didn't (and don't) need a poor man's Dixon sitting under high balls. We already have Dixon doing that at a much higher level. We needed someone to move and take marks on the lead to open up some space to unlock the defence.

Adelaide are 15th. Their tall defenders are at best, workmanlike. He wasn't holding his own against prime Alex Rance preventing an elite rebound. The Crows rebound is trash. Esava offered nothing and if Marshall had played the exact same game, you'd want him delisted.
that person is Georgiades.

Stop defending Marshall, you are embarrassing yourself.

The quicker we can trade or de-list the kid, the better.

Esava offers the strength, size, mongrel etc.

Which is significantly more than Marshall offers full stop.

Yea he kicked 5 v North - great, build him a statue. Wake up Ken.

that person is Georgiades.

Stop defending Marshall, you are embarrassing yourself.

The quicker we can trade or de-list the kid, the better.

Esava offers the strength, size, mongrel etc.

Which is significantly more than Marshall offers full stop.

Yea he kicked 5 v North - great, build him a statue. Wake up Ken.

Size, strength and mongrel are nice but they aren't a replacement for actual production. Otherwise Matt Thomas would be a hall of famer.

Esava hasn't kicked a bag of 5 in his career and has never averaged 1 goal a season.

Esava has kicked 4 goals once, and 3 once, and 2 on 9 occasions.

Todd has kicked 5 goals on 4 occasions, 4 on 6 occasions, 3 on 10 occasions and 2 on 24 occasions.

It shouldn't impact too much. Biggest difference is Houston had an elite field kick. Burton has a great kick too but no Houston. Houston was also playing like a centre half back position in a way but running straight into the midfield to get receives.

People need to remember, Bergman playing solely back position now has freed up Houston more. When Burton was playing, Bergs was still on wing. Also, during that period they had Esava back there and the backline looked a bit disorientated. Now, with just Zerk, Aliir, Bergs and even Jones with help of Evans is much better and tighten.

I believe Burton should be fine. Just need either him or Farrell running into the midfield at bounce to get receives, etc, more.

The Biggest difference is Houston tries. Burton doesn't haha. If Burton tried, he'd be my first option too but after a season full of embarrassing performances from him, he doesn't make it in for me. If we want to play it safe, go with Sinn at HB. If we want to do something left-field, bring Todd into that position (not as a 3rd tall), given he's an elite field kick and there's minimal defensive accountability required in that role.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d bring in Sinn as the sub this week.
Georgiades on up forward.
Burton down back for the first half. Sub for Sinn second half (assuming no injuries) to work out who gets the spot for finals.

Stiff that Narkle goes out as well but think a full gameday run would be good in the twos and he can be our sub come finals. He’s shown he’s decent at that burst play.

Size, strength and mongrel are nice but they aren't a replacement for actual production. Otherwise Matt Thomas would be a hall of famer.

Esava hasn't kicked a bag of 5 in his career and has never averaged 1 goal a season.

Esava has kicked 4 goals once, and 3 once, and 2 on 9 occasions.

Todd has kicked 5 goals on 4 occasions, 4 on 6 occasions, 3 on 10 occasions and 2 on 24 occasions.

**** all this year though.

You can't survive on performances from 2022.

**** all this year though.

You can't survive on performances from 2022.

You can when your club plays a 3 KPF setup and you're in the top 3 KPFs in both quality and form.

Ratugolea could have made that 3rd KPF position his own, but he hasn't. He's just played in line with his previous time as a KPF at Geelong, clearly below what Marshall has done even this season where he's been below par. Lord hasn't done anything to suggest he's better than Marshall. Burton certainly didn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back