Preview Changes & Preview Thread for Round 24, 2024 vs Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will play in finals.

"An abundance of caution" Port have stated as why he is not playing this week.

He will line up in finals.
I’m not happy about that for two reasons.
A) If he has to come off again early in a game and that’s always on the cards now.
B) I’m no Doctor but how many times do you need to get concussion before you give it away.

A) If he has to come off again early in a game and that’s always on the cards now.
B) I’m no Doctor but how many times do you need to get concussion before you give it away.

I've got a gut feeling Toddy might retire due to it at seasons end. He's signed until 2029 and AFL have their system now when they compensate % for 3 years.

Don't know.

Todd's definitely got mass potential... it's just unfortunate. I reckon he lacks confidence now because perhaps has trauma of being hurt or hit in the head. Affects him mentally.

McEntee is an emergency every week, so I doubt he's actually playing.

If there ends up being nothing to gain, I wonder if Boak on the bench is to give him a game as sub. Otherwise I think it's probably Sinn, but I'd prefer he gets a full game.

His form this year as a key forward is better than Ratugolea. Better than Lord. Better than McEntee would would be the next small in. Clearly so in all 3 cases.

If the doctors say he's not good to go, then he's not good to go and shouldn't be selected. But if he's fit, it's not worth selecting a clearly inferior forward ahead of him. He had more touches, marks and score involvements in a quarter against Melbourne than Ratugolea did in the entire game against Adelaide.
I hear you I do and I was OTT after the Melbourne game but I think his (justifiable) fear of another concussion is taking a player (who was never a strong presence) and making him invisible and that’s why his form has dropped off this season

He tried to impose himself on the Melbourne game and what happened? Add finals pressure/physicality and he’ll get concussed nothing is more certain in my mind

This omission is essentially the story of Narkle's career. Very tough ask to be a sub for a month straight, wins a match two weeks ago. Deserved a full game finally. Result? Dropped. 🤣

Hinkleys lost the f*#king plot think its time to put him in a home after these selections
jed ffs ! he never learns we all know what will happen 3 disposals 0 goals 2 behinds

Jed gets named as an emergency every Sunday game and people who don't understand football are like 'bLoOdY jED aGaIn rabble rabble rabble' and then he doesn't actually play and then because everybody has the memory of a goldfish we do the same thing for our next Sunday game.

I’d like to see Sinn given a shot at the Houston role, Burton will probably end up with it but given his lack of competitiveness in some games I’d like to see someone else given a shot at it before the finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok thanks for letting me know, I think it’s almost certain if he plays finals he gets subbed for concussion, if you thinks that’s good for the team or Todd I disagree
Obtuse? Whoosh? Playing games?

You dissed another person in the mistaken belief everyone agreed with you.

There are many valid points of view around Todd. Yours is but one.

I have denied this forum is a group-think, that people do make up their own mind on issues, but you sound like a lemming.

Will play in finals.

"An abundance of caution" Port have stated as why he is not playing this week.

He will line up in finals.
I know there is a medical argument that helmets do not prevent concussion, but I hope Todd wears one anyway.

Over the decades of First Aid sessions I attended the advice, eg on CPR, has changed regularly.

So just do it anyway.

Hinkleys lost the f*#king plot think its time to put him in a home after these selections
jed ffs ! he never learns we all know what will happen 3 disposals 0 goals 2 behinds
Anyone that thinks that Jed is getting 3 disposals and two scores is kidding themselves. And if he, it'd probably actually be 2 goals not behinds. He's actally been a pretty reliable shot when he's rarely gotten into position to have a shot.
I know there is a medical argument that helmets do not prevent concussion, but I hope Todd wears one anyway.

Over the decades of First Aid sessions I attended the advice, eg on CPR, has changed regularly.

So just do it anyway.
The more advanced research into concussion is what has changed to "they do nothing".

His form this year as a key forward is better than Ratugolea. Better than Lord. Better than McEntee would would be the next small in. Clearly so in all 3 cases.

If the doctors say he's not good to go, then he's not good to go and shouldn't be selected. But if he's fit, it's not worth selecting a clearly inferior forward ahead of him. He had more touches, marks and score involvements in a quarter against Melbourne than Ratugolea did in the entire game against Adelaide.

Its always a pleasure to pick apart the stats Philthy and you present when it comes to Marshall.

1724349012466.png

Against Melbourne Marshall had 3 more SI's. Tick. He had one more disposal. I suppose that was the deliberate out of bounds tap that resulted in a Melbourne goal. Same number of marks. He had one tackle.

For completeness sake, Marshall in a full game against Adelaide in Rnd 8 Marshall had 6 disposals, 2 marks, 2 tackles and 3 score involvements.

Rat had 7 disposals (more than Todd in the first game against Adelaide), 2 marks i.e. the same number of marks as Todd in either game and 1 score involvement. He had 6 tackles which I doubt Todd has ever had in 1 game ever, certainly not this year. Also more contested possessions than Todd in either game and double Todd's ave for this season.

Admittedly Rat was well held in a game that didn't suit tall forwards. He was worn like a glove and struggled to get into the game and struggled to get clear. He at least laid 6 tackles and got involved in the game in a way Todd never could when he was having a quiet game. Tackles, contested possessions and physical presence.

Clearly inferior? Not so clear. No doubt Todd with double the number of games as a forward has more skill and is more potent when it comes to scoring. However he lacks what Esava has. Physical presence, the ability to win contested ball and contested marking power. Even though that it a breakdown in strategy despite being the norm in football forward entries.

Attachments

• 1724348273152.png
    1724348273152.png
    2.6 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

I see John Platten around now and then.
It's a real concern. If I were Marshall I'd want to play for ever and he's a favourite of mine.
If I were his family it's a different story.

Marshall's last 7 games:

R23 - 8 disposals, 0 goals (subbed at half time)
R19 - 0 disposals, 0 goals (subbed half way through second quarter)
R18 - 15 disposals, 0 goals
R17 - 7 disposals, 0 goals (subbed half way through third quarter)
R16 - 9 disposals, 1 goal
R15 - 8 disposals, 1 goal
R13 - 6 disposals, 1 goal
Fyi, Todd didn't play round 19

Seems like Burton or Sinn will get the opportunity to fill the Houston role. Play them both this week, tell them whoever contributes the most to the team gets the spot for week one of finals only. Expectation is for continuing high performance or the other one gets in.

WCE were terrible with there two best defenders (McGovern & Barrass) in the side. A 100+ Cats win is well & truly on the cards, which means we’ll likely have to win to secure a home QF.
This is my concern, too. I'm more worried about Geelong winning by 90+ than I am of GWS beating the dogs. I feel like somehow that we will happen and we will stuff it and lose to freo by 10 points or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back