Preview Changes & Preview Thread for Round 24, 2024 vs Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess the more west coast score, the better, if its Geel 130-30 WCE then if we lose by say 10 points they'll jump us.

Its always a pleasure to pick apart the stats Philthy and you present when it comes to Marshall.

View attachment 2088138

Against Melbourne Marshall had 3 more SI's. Tick. He had one more disposal. I suppose that was the deliberate out of bounds tap that resulted in a Melbourne goal. Same number of marks. He had one tackle.

Todd played 30% of the game. Esava played 94%. The tap out of bounds would not count as a disposal.

For completeness sake, Marshall in a full game against Adelaide in Rnd 8 Marshall had 6 disposals, 2 marks, 2 tackles and 3 score involvements.

Rat had 7 disposals (more than Todd in the first game against Adelaide), 2 marks i.e. the same number of marks as Todd in either game and 1 score involvement. He had 6 tackles which I doubt Todd has ever had in 1 game ever, certainly not this year. Also more contested possessions than Todd in either game and double Todd's ave for this season.

Admittedly Rat was well held in a game that didn't suit tall forwards. He was worn like a glove and struggled to get into the game and struggled to get clear. He at least laid 6 tackles and got involved in the game in a way Todd never could when he was having a quiet game. Tackles, contested possessions and physical presence.

Todd is more likely to have an influential game as a key forward than Esava by any reasonable measure. Cherry picking games doesn't change that.

Tackles are not an important metric for Key Forwards.

If we look at the last 2 games, Todd and Esava both have 1 contested mark despite Todd playing just 30% of one of those 2 games. Contested marks are important, but they aren't the measure of a forward.

For comparison, Dixon had taken double the amount of contested marks as Georgiades this year in the same amount of games. Does that make him more valuable?

Clearly inferior? Not so clear. No doubt Todd with double the number of games as a forward has more skill and is more potent when it comes to scoring. However he lacks what Esava has. Physical presence, the ability to win contested ball and contested marking power. Even though that it a breakdown in strategy despite being the norm in football forward entries.

It's clear.

If we just look at games played as a KPF this season (so Esava's last 4 games), Todd averages more marks, marks inside 50, goals, score involvements, inside 50s, and this is in a year where Todd has struggled.

If we compare their careers, it's not even remotely close. They were taken in the same draft and Esava played for a high scoring Cats team and was eventually moved to defence because he wasn't effective as a forward.

Its always a pleasure to pick apart the stats Philthy and you present when it comes to Marshall.

View attachment 2088138

Against Melbourne Marshall had 3 more SI's. Tick. He had one more disposal. I suppose that was the deliberate out of bounds tap that resulted in a Melbourne goal. Same number of marks. He had one tackle.

For completeness sake, Marshall in a full game against Adelaide in Rnd 8 Marshall had 6 disposals, 2 marks, 2 tackles and 3 score involvements.

Rat had 7 disposals (more than Todd in the first game against Adelaide), 2 marks i.e. the same number of marks as Todd in either game and 1 score involvement. He had 6 tackles which I doubt Todd has ever had in 1 game ever, certainly not this year. Also more contested possessions than Todd in either game and double Todd's ave for this season.

Admittedly Rat was well held in a game that didn't suit tall forwards. He was worn like a glove and struggled to get into the game and struggled to get clear. He at least laid 6 tackles and got involved in the game in a way Todd never could when he was having a quiet game. Tackles, contested possessions and physical presence.

Clearly inferior? Not so clear. No doubt Todd with double the number of games as a forward has more skill and is more potent when it comes to scoring. However he lacks what Esava has. Physical presence, the ability to win contested ball and contested marking power. Even though that it a breakdown in strategy despite being the norm in football forward entries.
I don't want argue too much about esava v Marshall.

But I do think from the eye test Esava creates more and stops intercept marks via his physical ability, which he won't get a stat for.

I don't want argue too much about esava v Marshall.

But I do think from the eye test Esava creates more and stops intercept marks via his physical ability, which he won't get a stat for.
Seems pretty obvious to me that Esava displays smarter forward craft. He leads out in front to smart areas and gives himself a good chance. Shame he can't kick. Todd tries to compete from behind and gives himself no chance.
Unfotunately, Todd also has a glass jaw and is a very high chance of not getting through a game

I'm a big Marshall fan and I don't want to get into the Marshall versus Ratugolea argument but what I will say is that Todd really should be solidifying and strengthen his game and goals and overall stats but since his best year in 2022, Todd has been on a steady decline in most stats at about 30% to around 50%.

Sometimes its form, off field stuff but this seems to be strongly related to his issues with concussion and his ability to play a decent contested game and confidence in not only his body but his consciousness.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Toddy is definitely a better key forward with his kicks (although he's been shocking this season) but unfortunately he clearly has trauma and scared or worried to compete physically especially more so now with his head situation. That's the difference right now with Esava. He goes in physically and competes plus follows up with tackles. Love Toddy but he's either got to somehow get pass the issues in his head about being hurt or it's time. Sadly. If big Sav is to remain more forward moving onwards then Port need to focus on teaching and developing kicking techniques over pre season etc and fingers cross he'll come good. Sav seems the type who if you put effort into him and build him up he'll be bloody good.

Esava isn't that far off with his kicking technique, as with Georgiades 18 months ago, the drop and the spin of the ball is fine, he's just off target.

IN: M Georgiades 19, J McEntee 41
OUT: D Houston 5 (suspended), Q Narkle 42 (omitted)

EMERG: Sinn, Visentini, Lord

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back