Preview Changes R18 v Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the idea in theory but given Lycett's injury history, the fact he has rarely rucked all game so may not have the stamina to do so regularly etc and we are getting to the tail end of the season, I think they will take a more cautious path and bring Vardy in straight swap for NN. I think they would have real concerns about overtaxing any one of Lycett of Vardy given if we get another injury we are down to McInnes. Although, if its wet, they may have one ruck with someone else chop out for a week. But for the rest of the year, I think we will stick with two rucks.

I think that other teams who are heavily reliant on their first ruck being there for finals continue to play them in the ruck most of the game. I'm thinking about Nank, Grundy, Gawn and Sinclair.

If Lycett is fit enough to ruck 75% of the game and spend the rest of the time on the bench then I'd support it, if it meant we could get more run out of the team without it costing us much in clearance-ability. The other way of looking at it is that Lycett has been playing a lot less ruck than he could have, so maybe he is a bit fresher to step into a more demanding role.

Our forwardline is definitely tall enough to not need the resting ruck.

I agree with you that I think we will stick with two rucks. I hope this weekend, with the rain, we at least try the 1 ruck approach to see how it goes.

Last edited:

Yeah that was probably his best game for the year. He is probably our best kick I50. I just wish he did it more often.

Needs to play on to himself from kickouts more to pump up his stats, then everyone will complain less. He is in the side because he is an elite kick, goes missing a lot and and as a defender struggles in marking contests but when he gets it his kicking can really set up play. 1 passage of play hurn kicked to jetta who used the centre corridor and it sliced Collingwood up. He is not a consistent player and he never will be. The MC are prepared to accept that because of his elite kicking which often is risky and using the corridor.

In Vardy
Out Nic

Give Barrass another week in the 2's, sheed, petrol and ryan are all close. I think we are a bit reliant on too few mids and need to add another one in but hard to drop any one after last week. Yeo is one of the few players in our side that has versatility. Maybe we need to give Willie more of a run through the guts

Reluctant to just have one ruck as it is too early to overwork lycett as we really need him in the finals.

Not at the MCG. Tigers are machines there and will be very hard to beat on GF day.
80,000+ home crowd doesn't hurt either.

I'm in the same boat as a lot of folks in that I think Vardy doesn't address the more pressing need of NicNat's loss: his pressure around the ball. So let's say we've got Turbo at CHB, JK is FF, JD is CHF. We currently use Waterman as a link man between 50s which helps JK stay at home more, which helps him be less injured. Depending on Barrass' fitness, he's likely the first choice FB.

Tactically, pending fitness my changes are

In: Barrass
Out: Naitanui

Rotate the third tall defender, be it Schofield or McGovern through the on ball position as the backup to Lycett. Focussing mostly on Schofield in that role (let's assume Gov would do tit better) he can:

- defend a tall player
- run hard (in straight lines generally)
- participate in tall defender rotations
- take a mark

The first two points give Schoey a leg up on Vardy, the third means that Hurn or Sheppard's roles do not change when either of the talls hit the bench, and the last point you could suggest they're equal on. So the consideration could be how valuable Vardy's ruck compete is, because he messes with the forward structure in a bad way otherwise.

After EP performance some players will need to be rewarded.
Vardy with 66 HO's comes straight in for an injured NN.
Sheed's dominant 37 possession 3 tackle and a goal game get's him back in at the expense of Hutchings (doesn't get enough of it for a mid)
Flying Ryan's 3-goal and 7 tackle highlight reel get's him straight back in for an underwhelming no goal performance from Venners.
3-goals and 100 mtrs of scorched turf down at Steel Blue oval gets PetrolJelly a call up to take up the wing position currently neglected by Masto.

We have to reward WAFL level performance over AFL right??

There had to be one... :rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just a footnote on Barass.I think it was Burgoyne talking about Hodge and he said Hodgy spoils with his whole body.Its been a bugbear with Barass in that he tries to spoil clean.I.E. punching the ball with no body contact.I think he needs an injection of nasty and a right foot.

I'm torn, ideally I'd like to keep the same structure and have Vardy back up Lycett the way Lycett backed up NicNat. I think that's best for continuity and also for Lycett's longevity, he's suddenly vitally important and we don't want to overload him.

But if we were ever to experiment going with a solo ruck the way 90% of other teams are doing it this would be the week to do it, against a team with a relatively weak ruck division on a wet day.

So, Out: Naitanui (general unfairness of life and our existence)
In: Ah Chee

B: Sheppard, Schofield, Hurn
HB: Jetta, McGovern, Duggan
C: Gaff, Shuey, Masten
HF: Cripps, Darling, Waterman
F: LeCras, Kennedy, Rioli
R: Lycett, Yeo, Redden
I: Cole, Hutchings, Venables, Ah Chee
E: Vardy, Sheed, Nelson, Partington (held over)

Ah Chee to give Lycett a chop-out in the ruck, since he's been doing a little bit of it in the WAFL. I know it's unfair to ask a 188cm bloke who's playing for his career to play a role he's got very little experience in, but life is unfair as we've been reminded this week. And adding another string to his bow can't hurt. (Unless Roughead or Trengove actually hurts him, which regrettably is a possibility).

I originally had Barrass in, but give him another week to get match fitness. Same with Ryan, although it's more about getting his head right.

Partington takes his turn at missing a game, so that Nelson can continue to build on his good game last week and Sheed can keep working on whatever he's needing to work on and keep pressure on the mids to perform.

Vardy probably comes in the following week to combat Goldstein/Daw. Horses for courses.

Seriously, you just cut and paste "Out: Masten, Waterman" every week don't you. Your hatred of them is beyond a joke now, it's actually concerning.

Round 17

Round 16

Round 15

Round 14

Round 13 - to be fair you didn't have Masten as an out this week, though that's probably because he was already out of the side.

Round 11

Round 10

It's so concerning that he has his own opinions I think we need a royal commission on it.
It's disgraceful.

Just viewed the highlight video and he was involved in about 3-4 goals from his pressure acts alone.

Just watched the Eagles Vision round 17 review and they mentioned Venables was ranked #1 for pressure acts v Pies.:thumbsu::thumbsu:

Building nicely, just needs to start kicking a few.

They also mentioned Rioli is starting to get reward in goals after putting in a lot of defensive efforts that in previous games netted others goals.

Same with Cripps.

These three will not be dropped as they are working hard without the ball and provide real pace and defensive pressure.

Just a footnote on Barass.I think it was Burgoyne talking about Hodge and he said Hodgy spoils with his whole body.Its been a bugbear with Barass in that he tries to spoil clean.I.E. punching the ball with no body contact.I think he needs an injection of nasty and a right foot.
Burgoyne overlooks Hodgey's reputation which allows him leverage with umpires. Other defenders who crash contests give away free kicks, which I imagine why Barrass as well as other Eagles aim for a clean spoil or intercept.

Just watched the Eagles Vision round 17 review and they mentioned Venables was ranked #1 for pressure acts v Pies.:thumbsu::thumbsu:

Building nicely, just needs to start kicking a few.
Needs to get his hands on the ball a bit more as well, otherwise our big midfield prospect turns into a really tall small forward.

Its very interesting seeing who can't perform when we travel. Its getting easier to see who they are and its the usual suspects...Masten, Waterman, Cripps, Venebles and Cole. On the issue of Venebles, this guy isn't AFL standard by a fair bit and its getting more obvious after we play him more and more. 3 of Those 5 get dropped this week for me and bring in Ryan, Allen and give Brander another shot.

Wow.

Just wow!!

I'm guessing this is you watching the game each week?

images

It's so concerning that he has his own opinions I think we need a royal commission on it.
It's disgraceful.

People can have their own opinions, but if those opinions are that promising 19 year old forwards should be written off, dropped and delisted then I'm going to call them out as being shithouse opinions. Deal with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back