F: Pedlar Walker Gollant
R: Thilthorpe Berry Laird
I: Himmelberg Sloane Keays Taylor
Sub: Hinge

Jones in for Brown (Hinge to sub)
Gollant in for McAdam
Thilthorpe in for O’Brien
Taylor in for Schoenberg

We need size and athleticism in the middle. Add in Dawson and Thilthorpe. Don’t be scared to put Fogarty in the middle for short stints when shit hits the fan like it did in the 2nd half today.

if/when mcadam gets suspended i'd rather play a man down than murphy. no one would notice.

but man, there are quite a few players who are already on notice, and are probably lucky it's only the first round so yeah. none of the experience blokes will be dropped, but this really has to be the season we see less of brodie 'elite kick' smith and more of someone like sholl, provided he's no longer scared of his own shadow.

out: mcadam, himmelberg, brown
in: gollant, thilthorpe, anyone with legs

need to find a way to get dawson into the middle more often too. not too sure how that would be worked though

I thought Milera lost track of Daniels defensively a couple of times but it wasn’t a total train wreck by any means. Still think he should be on the wing.

Did Thilthorpe ruck in the SANFL because he had to, or because we are now developing him as a ruckman? If we are developing him as a ruckman then, good, and also he should probably play a couple in the SANFL in that position before we drop ROB for him.

Thilthorpe for Himmelberg (It was almost as bad as not picking Head first test)

If Macadam is suspended...ugggh, it's a shitshow of mediocrity on the sidelines, Murph, Ned, Golly, Cooko.

Seriously, move Milera onto the god damned wing, he isn't a defender and he's a lazy forward, said for ages he should be on a wing and put Parnell back in defence

Early thinking... I would make a few changes given the heat today & the result... but selectors more likely to limit changes.

B: Michalanney, Butts, Murray (Keane if injured)
HB: Parnell, Doedee, Dawson
C: Taylor, Soligo, Jones
HF: Pedlar, Walker, Keays
F: Gollant, Fogarty, Rankine
R: Thilthorpe, Berry, Rachele
I: Hinge, Laird, Sloane, Himmelberg
Sub: Smith

Parnell - Milera... I would have picked him today
Taylor - Schoenberg... make him earn his way back & we need to debut Taylor
Jones - Brown (Smith to sub)... we need an impact sub
Gollant - McAdam... assuming suspension & Gollant kicked 4
Thilthorpe - ROB... get him in after 4 goals to share duties with Berg against the mobile Nankervis
I saw a Collingwood fan post that they were glad they had genuine backup (Frampton) for Howe's injury, instead of resorting to someone like Keane.

Our midfield is the worst in the comp and will be for a long time. We are not setup to beat teams like GWS in the middle and we haven't drafted to do this.

Well we have with pedlar / soligo / Rachele. We are just 7 years behind GWS. There midfield is a bunch of top 5 picks in there prime (who tbh have all under achieved)

We could have thrown back in keays in the middle but we are still in the rebuild phase and need the blood the young mids.

We have to be honest, no amount of changes to that squad would stop today. Our midfield is the worst in the comp and will be for a long time. We are not setup to beat teams like GWS in the middle and we haven't drafted to do this. It doesn't matter if we have the best forwards in the comp if we can't win a centre clearance.

I don't know the stats but it seemed in the first half our midfield walked the ball out the centre too... I think the heat got to our young boys more than them maybe... just a thought....🤷🏻‍♂️
We still should have run over them that last 10 minutes though-my point is that we showed what we are capable of in the first half .

Elliot out for RT. He should never have been picked ahead if RT. The fact he was worries me.

McAdam out via suspension, and Gollant in. We need to give Gollant a good run at it as he has some talent and we need to see what he can Do.

I disagree, EH wasn't shooting the lights out in pre season but he was a lot better than RT. I get that RT has way more potential than Elliot but form has got to count for something doesn't it. ? I think EH deserved to be picked before RT on pre season form... however he needs to very quickly show some form to hold his position.!

Realistically, only 1 change likely:
OUT: McAdam (susp)
IN: Murphy

Murphy is clearly next in line, if there's a vacancy among our small forwards. The big question is how many weeks McAdam will get - it won't be a short vacation.
Just spotting a stat and I think you could be right - not about Murphy being next in line - thats what you say to help you justify the call

I dont agree with the move but coaches panic when a stat is highlighted

0 tackles in the Inside 50 suggests our defensive effort wasnt there

But

Do you play Rankine, McAdam, etc in that forward line knowing the ball gets run out quicker or do you plug gaps?

I fear our natural inclination will be to plug gaps

Just spotting a stat and I think you could be right - not about Murphy being next in line - thats what you say to help you justify the call

I dont agree with the move but coaches panic when a stat is highlighted

0 tackles in the Inside 50 suggests our defensive effort wasnt there

But

Do you play Rankine, McAdam, etc in that forward line knowing the ball gets run out quicker or do you plug gaps?

I fear our natural inclination will be to plug gaps
I don't think our forward line was the biggest problem yesterday. Our midfield was next to non-existent, and barely won a contest, after half-time. Whether that was because ROB is next to useless, GWS switched things up and found something which worked, or Adelaide's young mids just ran out of gas early in the heat, is a moot point (I suspect it's a bit of all 3). Regardless, the ball was rarely at our end of the ground in the second half, so blaming the small forwards for a lack of defensive pressure, when the ball was never in their area, seems a bit strange to me.

If you want to blame our small forwards for something, then their inaccuracy when kicking for goal was a much bigger contributor to the loss - and with 2.5 to his name, Izak Rankine was the chief culprit.

I don't think our forward line was the biggest problem yesterday. Our midfield was next to non-existent, and barely won a contest, after half-time. Whether that was because ROB is next to useless, GWS switched things up and found something which worked, or Adelaide's young mids just ran out of gas early in the heat, is a moot point (I suspect it's a bit of all 3). Regardless, the ball was rarely at our end of the ground in the second half, so blaming the small forwards for a lack of defensive pressure, when the ball was never in their area, seems a bit strange to me.
So 0 tackles inside 50 is ok by you?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So 0 tackles inside 50 is ok by you?
It's not... but it's not one of the main reasons why we lost.

In any case, Murphy won't be coming back because of the pressure he creates (though that's a bonus), he will be coming back because he's next in line among our small/mid sized forwards.

It's not... but it's not one of the main reasons why we lost.

In any case, Murphy won't be coming back because of the pressure he creates (though that's a bonus), he will be coming back because he's next in line among our small/mid sized forwards.
Gollant should be

Murphy will come in for his defensive role

So we're agree that Murphy will come in... which is what I said all along, and have copped a lot of negative emojis for stating reality.
Yes but I think its for defense you think its because he is ' next in line' - that should never be a reason to get selected

We had 33 shots on goal from 52 entries, and 15 marks inside 50.

The reason we had 0 tackles inside 50 isn't that we weren't playing some defensive spud up there, it's that we were first to the ball and efficient with our delivery.

The issue is we barely got an inside 50 in the second half. 18 to 9 in favour of GWS in the last quarter

Elliot has been in the side for how many years? He isn't now suddenly going to turn into a superstar. He will continue to give what he has given to date. One ok game, one bad game and into the 2nds. RT has more ability and will be a top line player.

The only reason you play EH over RT is if you are of the mistaken belief that it's about winning as many games as we can and not developing the young talent still.
EH is a back up for RT.
Last year Freo were into EH and to keep him we obviously promised him that he would be played.
EH is a depth player. Infact, I would much rather see if he can play in defence to be honest.

Yes but I think its for defense you think its because he is ' next in line' - that should never be a reason to get selected
I think that's what the selectors will do.

I never said that it was what I would do, if I were a selector.

It is absolutely clear, from both the pre-season matches and R1 team selection (where Murphy was named on the extended interchange) that Murphy is "next man up". The BigFooty sheeple hate this - but it an absolute truth of the AFC right now.

If I was naming 10 players who were big reasons why we lost today, Himmelberg wouldn’t be one of them. I could get around bringing in Thilthorpe for O’Brien though. Just can’t see it happening.

Brown was unbelievably bad. Fresh legs, 3 opposition midfield injuries, comes on with significant time remaining in the 3rd quarter. 1 possession total. Wow.
Swap Brown with Sholl and we win.

Elliot has been in the side for how many years? He isn't now suddenly going to turn into a superstar. He will continue to give what he has given to date. One ok game, one bad game and into the 2nds. RT has more ability and will be a top line player.

The only reason you play EH over RT is if you are of the mistaken belief that it's about winning as many games as we can and not developing the young talent still.
EH is a back up for RT.
Last year Freo were into EH and to keep him we obviously promised him that he would be played.
EH is a depth player. Infact, I would much rather see if he can play in defence to be honest.
I don't think anyone regards EH as a superstar - either now, or future. RT has the potential to be a superstar, but for now he is clearly being outperformed by EH, who really didn't do anything wrong yesterday - and certainly doesn't justify all the hate, let alone comments comparing RT's non-selection to that of Travis Head in India.

While RT clearly has far greater potential, he's not currently firing on all cylinders. The questions which should then be posed are - why not, and what can best be done to fix it?

I suspect the answers to the "why" question is a combination of multiple factors - a lack of innate aggression in his psychology, still growing/developing into a mature body, and maybe just a lack of confidence. There are probably other factors too.

The question of what to do, to best develop him, is equally tricky. Many of the brain-dead sheeple on BigFooty think we should just keep playing him, until he magically comes good. That's just plain dumb. Fogarty eventually came good as a result of working on his body/fitness, and seeing a sports psychiatrist to address his confidence issues - just selecting him (regardless of form) wasn't the answer, because doing so failed to address the real reasons why he wasn't achieving his potential. I suspect that the solution to RT achieving his full potential may be equally complex.

Until RT's real issues are addressed, EH continues to hold his position on the basis of superior form.

I think that's what the selectors will do.

I never said that it was what I would do, if I were a selector.

It is absolutely clear, from both the pre-season matches and R1 team selection (where Murphy was named on the extended interchange) that Murphy is "next man up". The BigFooty sheeple hate this - but it an absolute truth of the AFC right now.
I think people would prefer to hear what you think is the right thing to do.
Instead of second guessing what you think the coaches will do

If I was naming 10 players who were big reasons why we lost today, Himmelberg wouldn’t be one of them. I could get around bringing in Thilthorpe for O’Brien though. Just can’t see it happening.

Brown was unbelievably bad. Fresh legs, 3 opposition midfield injuries, comes on with significant time remaining in the 3rd quarter. 1 possession total. Wow.
He was amazingly bad. Hope to not see him play again after that. Hopefully we play someone in sub that can actually provide fresh legs in future.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes: R2 vs Richmond, Saturday March 25, 4.05pm ACDT @ Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Back