Preview Changes: R2 vs Richmond, Saturday March 25, 4.05pm ACDT @ Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

I think people would prefer to hear what you think is the right thing to do.
Instead of second guessing what you think the coaches will do
I'd still probably go with Murphy - well ahead of McHenry. Gollant hasn't impressed me a whole lot to date, and it takes more than one 4-goal effort in a SANFL game to push his case. I'm not writing him off, but I want to see a bit more from him before he gets rewarded with AFL selection.

I know that Murphy has his shortcomings, and hating on him is the latest trend for the BigFooty sheeple. He far from perfect, but he doesn't deserve the crap that gets posted about him here.

Out: Schoenberg, McAdam (suspension), Himmelberg, Brown
In: Taylor, Gollant, Thilthorpe, Sholl

Smith to sub
I like these changes.
I am starting to think Shoey isn't up to to the level now, and Taylor has been classy
We all questioned how Brown got selected, another selection blunder by the coaches.
Gollant for the suspended McAdam.
And Sholl just keeps racking up possessions, kicking goals and finds team mates

We had 33 shots on goal from 52 entries, and 15 marks inside 50.

The reason we had 0 tackles inside 50 isn't that we weren't playing some defensive spud up there, it's that we were first to the ball and efficient with our delivery.

The issue is we barely got an inside 50 in the second half. 18 to 9 in favour of GWS in the last quarter
A lot more teams appear to be far more efficient with their scoring from I50s this round as they are not just blasting it long, instead choosing to short chip around the arc and wait for a hole to open up for the leading forward. At one stage in their game, Geelong had 15 goals from like 28 entries or something ridiculous (their accuracy helped). Port were ultra efficient too. The other end of the spectrum is Richmond, who only managed 18 shots from 66 entries.

It is easy to have more entries if you continually just bomb it long, instead of being patient around the arc and then spotting up a lead. A team that bombs it long could have 2-3 entries in the same time frame a patient team has one, but the patient team ends up with a mark inside 50 instead of a stoppage/turnover. We have been a 'bomb it long' team in the past, so I'm glad we are trying to move away from that and it is helping with our scoring.

30 scoring shots won't lose you too many games and it would not have lost us the game yesterday if we were more accurate in front of goal. I can't see us losing next week if we again have ~20 scoring shots at half time and Rankine has ~10 score involvements.

I'd still probably go with Murphy - well ahead of McHenry. Gollant hasn't impressed me a whole lot to date, and it takes more than one 4-goal effort in a SANFL game to push his case. I'm not writing him off, but I want to see a bit more from him before he gets rewarded with AFL selection.

I know that Murphy has his shortcomings, and hating on him is the latest trend for the BigFooty sheeple. He far from perfect, but he doesn't deserve the crap that gets posted about him here.
I think that because Murphy has very little impact up forward, we get frustrated that he is not dangerous enough to be a forward.
I am a bit biased towards Gollant, I think he has some unique traits that does make him a dangerous forward.
He not only kicked 4 goals in the sanfl, last year he also did it in the AFL, so he has shown ability to step up to the next level

I'm not sure the answer on who comes in for mcadam but I'm hesitant to put Gollant in a forward line that already has Tex, Fog & EH and no amazing pressure forwards to make up for their lack of effort. I'm not keen on Mchenry / Murphy either so I'm all ears who else we could play. I wouldn't mind Sloane playing forward and moving Milera to a wing, maybe Parnell in to replace but not exactly like for like

I think that's what the selectors will do.

I never said that it was what I would do, if I were a selector.

It is absolutely clear, from both the pre-season matches and R1 team selection (where Murphy was named on the extended interchange) that Murphy is "next man up". The BigFooty sheeple hate this - but it an absolute truth of the AFC right now.

Do we not have the right to hate what the club does and think they make poor decisions given their lack of success?

I'm not sure the answer on who comes in for mcadam but I'm hesitant to put Gollant in a forward line that already has Tex, Fog & EH and no amazing pressure forwards to make up for their lack of effort. I'm not keen on Mchenry / Murphy either so I'm all ears who else we could play. I wouldn't mind Sloane playing forward and moving Milera to a wing, maybe Parnell in to replace but not exactly like for like
Don't we have Rankine, Pedlar, Rachele and Keays up forward to offer pressure ?

Don't we have Rankine, Pedlar, Rachele and Keays up forward to offer pressure ?
None of those players have elite pace. Rankine & Rachelle are not that kind of forward. Keays is a high half forward and unlikely to be in the forward line to put pressure on when it's coming out. Pedlar is more of a power type.

Do we not have the right to hate what the club does and think they make poor decisions given their lack of success?
My criticism is that this is largely the result of group think - hence the comments about brain dead sheeple, who are seemingly incapable of thinking for themselves, and who just go along with the hate because that's the trendy thing to do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Every player has issues, Tex, laird, I could go on and on.
The question is how best to address RT's issues, in order for him to achieve his full potential.

This is not a binary "play him in the SANFL" or "play him in the AFL" thing. I suspect that the issues holding him back are fairly complex, and need to be addressed accordingly. It's not as simple as "play him in the AFL and he'll come good eventually".

My criticism is that this is largely the result of group think - hence the comments about brain dead sheeple, who are seemingly incapable of thinking for themselves, and who just go along with the hate because that's the trendy thing to do.

I think most people on here are not brain dead and have watched players like Murphy extensively over their 70 odd games and can make a valid judgement call

Say brain dead sheeple a few more times.

Pretty ****ing hilarious coming from the most ingrained public service mentality poster on this board.

I like these changes.
I am starting to think Shoey isn't up to to the level now, and Taylor has been classy
We all questioned how Brown got selected, another selection blunder by the coaches.
Gollant for the suspended McAdam.
And Sholl just keeps racking up possessions, kicking goals and finds team mates
I think Sholl would be very unlucky if he is once again looked over should there be any shake ups on wing/half back. Yes he has flaws in his game but just turned 23 and had an excellent pre-season.

Question: were you thinking this in the first half ? ......were you happy with what was happening first half, and does that get wiped out in entirety, based on the 2nd half

It's obvious, they gassed themselves, 7-8 min B4 half time .....it's on the senior players, the same ones who have continually let us down the last 6 years, no need to name

There'll only be 2 changes .....McAdam & one other (?) ....should be Butts, my god he was horrid & caught out of defensive position so many times .....the other putrid game all day, was Hinge

Question: were you thinking this in the first half ? ......were you happy with what was happening first half, and does that get wiped out in entirety, based on the 2nd half

It's obvious, they gassed themselves, 7-8 min B4 half time .....it's on the senior players, the same ones who have continually let us down the last 6 years, no need to name

There'll only be 2 changes .....McAdam & one other (?) ....should be Butts, my god he was horrid & caught out of defensive position so many times .....the other putrid game all day, was Hinge

I don't think one half of football changes much about the club's recent history.

I think they are generally on the right track but they have a sketchy history of poor decision making and my confidence in them is very much not restored yet (and wouldn't have been even if we won)

You know what's trendy?
wanting your football club that has been mediocre for 80% of the past 25yrs to do better.

I think Sholl would be very unlucky if he is once again looked over should there be any shake ups on wing/half back. Yes he has flaws in his game but just turned 23 and had an excellent pre-season.
Brown over Sholl was a terrible selection.
I think Sholl's positives easily outweigh any of his negatives which he has worked on.
I think he has been hard done by not getting more of a chance when our team is performing so poorly

I’d go:

In: RT, Taylor, Parnell
Out: McAdam, Himmelberg, Smith

Realistically Murphy’s going to come in for Shaneo, though. Hopefully RT’s apparently dominant SANFL performance is enough to get him in the side

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes: R2 vs Richmond, Saturday March 25, 4.05pm ACDT @ Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Back