Preview Changes: R21 2019 vs West Coast

Changes for West Coast?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Returned just to join the meltdown about Jacobs coming in for ROB. Unbelievable! Can. Not. Believe. It. Even for our club this is astounding.
It is, but also, it’s really not.

Sportsday SA tweeted a quote from Burton saying there wont be many changes, they will look at the ruck, outside of that there wont be too much to look at.

Them wheeling out Brett ****ing Burton to explain the changes is just rubbing it in now.

OR we all know Keath did his ankle two weeks before he was “rested”. It’s not rocket science.

Keath was the travelling emergency and publicly states to be available for selection in the case of a late withdrawal.

THAT is what ‘we all know’

Them wheeling out Brett ****ing Burton to explain the changes is just rubbing it in now.

His comments on 'like for like' selections show just how rigid they are in their thinking re team structure as well as players abilities to play even a slightly different role (except the almighty Mackay).

The discussion on selecting the team to win this week is obvious...there's no longer term strategic thinking in their selections. Not to mention they suffer from the fallacy that experience always equals better short term performance, which compounds the first mistake and digs the hole even further.

I'm concerned with a late season injury, where it might mess up his preseason for next year.

If ROB is fit and firing during training, then I'd be ok for him to play on. But if ROB is training like he was playing last round, then I'd be ok if he's rested. Also hard for a 1st year AFL ruckman to play out for an entire season without rest/injury. Big body versus big body is just going to create more bruising and likely to accumulate as the season carries on.

Fourth year ruckman but hey you’re getting closer

This club's selection strategy is like one of those magic eye pictures.

No matter how hard I cross my eyes I just can't make sense of it.

Dropping ROB for Sauce is disgraceful. ROB has been one of the few positives this season and one of the few reasons to bother watching.

I have finally reached the tipping point - I am barracking for the Eagles to win by 100points. They will probably win by 5 goals but a 100 point smashing is required to drive home the obvious point to this inept coaching group that the 2017 grand final team did not win the premiership in 2017, and the same team but older, slower and more injured is not going to win the premiership in 2019.

How come Richmond (a team absolutely in the window, the team that won the 2017 GF and the minor premiers of 2018) manage to introduce and continue to select two young players this year in Stack and Chol and we can't continue to select ROB in a failing mid-table team? Sauce isn't a good ruckman anymore and hasn't been for over a year. Pathetic selection. Go Eagles.
Chol has been on the Richmond list for 4 years, debuted in 2016. Perhaps we should include Rob in the comparison.

Fourth year ruckman but hey you’re getting closer
Next time try and think a little before quoting me out of context.
I meant ROB is playing his 1st proper AFL year, playing the majority of it.
Can you think of a ruckman in their 1st year of senior footy to play out a full season of AFL without any physical issues?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don: "Whether we make a change or play both, we'll keep you guessing,"

Ooh, I'll play. My first guess is we drop ROB for rest of the year so that we can bring in old Sauceasaurus to finish out the season because "experience".
We've got to get sauce to 200 games.

Personal milestones are more important than team success everyone knows that

Next time try and think a little before quoting me out of context.
I meant ROB is playing his 1st proper AFL year, playing the majority of it.
Can you think of a ruckman in their 1st year of senior footy to play out a full season of AFL without any physical issues?
He has not played a whole season, is built like a brick shithouse, is far better than sauce and can use the experience. Let him play , I'm sure he wants to.

This club's selection strategy is like one of those magic eye pictures.

No matter how hard I cross my eyes I just can't make sense of it.

The selection policy is super clear. It's just stupid.

Step 1: Fill out the established core

Any experienced senior player who's been around the club for a while gets automatically selected, especially the captains. This means all of Walker, Sloane, Betts, Douglas, Mackay, Jacobs, Talia, Smith, Brown, Jenkins, Laird, Lynch, the Crouches get selected automatically and without question.

Step 2: Back in experience and seniority

At this point 14 players have automatically been picked. From here there are a few remaining spots. The first thing we look for is experience: is there anyone else on the list that has played significant AFL time. This puts players who haven't been at the club for ages, but are senior bodies, right into contention. Players such as Gibbs and Seedsman.

Step 3: Refer to the pecking order

We've probably only filled 16 or so spots at this point. So we then go down the list of players who have a) played AFL games and b) have been around the club for a while, to choose the next group. This would filter through players like Hartigan, Kelly, Knight, Milera, Greenwood, CEY etc in that specific order. We need to reward the players who have stuck around and given us good service.

Step 4: Ensure continuity

We want maximum continuity with the players selected up until this point. So if there are any minor niggles or form concerns, continuity takes any and all preference over anything else. When it doubt, use the continuity rule.

Step 5: When faced with injury, make like for like selections, referring to previous steps

Obviously not everyone is available at all times due to injuries. So the next man up is strictly selected on a like for like basis; there can be no flexibility with player positioning. Selections are then made on the above rules: established players (eg. returning from injury) first. Then experienced players (eg. Otten). Then we go down the pecking order and choose the next man up.

Step 6: When players return from injury, refer to the pecking order

When a player returns from injury, how quickly they get back in the side depends on the pecking order. Established core players are straight back in. The next level may need 1-2 games in the SANFL. Players lower down will not be able to make it back in even if they have moved up the pecking order, because they'll still be too far down the order.

Step 7: Dropping players for form uses the reverse pecking order

If changes to the side need to be made, this will be done using the reverse pecking order. That is, players who are lower on the pecking order, will be dropped first. The pecking order of course is a list of experience, seniority and tenure at the Crows, so this means younger players will make way ahead of senior players, and there will be less tolerance for poor performance the more inexperienced you are.

Step 8: Occasionally make 'statement' changes, but follow strict criteria

Sometimes a statement selection is required to 'shake up' the playing group. However this can only happen under specific circumstances. These players will only ever be one rung below the absolute top of the pecking order at the absolute highest, with a preference for newer-to-the-club players. They will be dropped for the minimum possible amount of games. No more than one statement selection will ever be made at a time.

Step 9: Advancing in the pecking order is done in the off-season

The only time a player can advance up the pecking order is in the off-season. Moving up the order is achieved through strong work ethic and training ability, as well as understanding of the game plan, adherence to the game, 'good bloke' status, running ability and other intangibles. Players leaving the club can see others receive a relative rise in pecking order as fewer players stand between them and their AFL spot. Otherwise you will accrue status at the selection table based on your tenure and experience.

---

....and that's it. No consideration for form at almost any time, especially for players high on the pecking order. No management of players. No consideration of youth. No consideration for talent or skills at any time.

Every single time we follow this plan to a tee, basically

Fresh for what? 2 dead rubbers?
Seasons already over. Pyke just can't see it. He's delusional. Keep playing Dad's Army Pyke. That way we can piss you off this year instead of going through another year of this bullshit next year.

Last edited:
Oh there's no doubt about it. Fogarty will be dropped.

It was a token selection to appease the restless members
Congratulations Scorpus, you have now achieved 100 incorrect selection predictions for the season. Care to admit you were wrong about Fog?

I guess you hit the mark with Sauce, you said he would come straight back in when he was fit and Bingo, five months later he is back.

The selection policy is super clear. It's just stupid.

Step 1: Fill out the established core

Any experienced senior player who's been around the club for a while gets automatically selected, especially the captains. This means all of Walker, Sloane, Betts, Douglas, Mackay, Jacobs, Talia, Smith, Brown, Jenkins, Laird, Lynch, the Crouches get selected automatically and without question.

Step 2: Back in experience and seniority

At this point 14 players have automatically been picked. From here there are a few remaining spots. The first thing we look for is experience: is there anyone else on the list that has played significant AFL time. This puts players who haven't been at the club for ages, but are senior bodies, right into contention. Players such as Gibbs and Seedsman.

Step 3: Refer to the pecking order

We've probably only filled 16 or so spots at this point. So we then go down the list of players who have a) played AFL games and b) have been around the club for a while, to choose the next group. This would filter through players like Hartigan, Kelly, Knight, Milera, Greenwood, CEY etc in that specific order. We need to reward the players who have stuck around and given us good service.

Step 4: Ensure continuity

We want maximum continuity with the players selected up until this point. So if there are any minor niggles or form concerns, continuity takes any and all preference over anything else. When it doubt, use the continuity rule.

Step 5: When faced with injury, make like for like selections, referring to previous steps

Obviously not everyone is available at all times due to injuries. So the next man up is strictly selected on a like for like basis; there can be no flexibility with player positioning. Selections are then made on the above rules: established players (eg. returning from injury) first. Then experienced players (eg. Otten). Then we go down the pecking order and choose the next man up.

Step 6: When players return from injury, refer to the pecking order

When a player returns from injury, how quickly they get back in the side depends on the pecking order. Established core players are straight back in. The next level may need 1-2 games in the SANFL. Players lower down will not be able to make it back in even if they have moved up the pecking order, because they'll still be too far down the order.

Step 7: Dropping players for form uses the reverse pecking order

If changes to the side need to be made, this will be done using the reverse pecking order. That is, players who are lower on the pecking order, will be dropped first. The pecking order of course is a list of experience, seniority and tenure at the Crows, so this means younger players will make way ahead of senior players, and there will be less tolerance for poor performance the more inexperienced you are.

Step 8: Occasionally make 'statement' changes, but follow strict criteria

Sometimes a statement selection is required to 'shake up' the playing group. However this can only happen under specific circumstances. These players will only ever be one rung below the absolute top of the pecking order at the absolute highest, with a preference for newer-to-the-club players. They will be dropped for the minimum possible amount of games. No more than one statement selection will ever be made at a time.

Step 9: Advancing in the pecking order is done in the off-season

The only time a player can advance up the pecking order is in the off-season. Moving up the order is achieved through strong work ethic and training ability, as well as understanding of the game plan, adherence to the game, 'good bloke' status, running ability and other intangibles. Players leaving the club can see others receive a relative rise in pecking order as fewer players stand between them and their AFL spot. Otherwise you will accrue status at the selection table based on your tenure and experience.

---

....and that's it. No consideration for form at almost any time, especially for players high on the pecking order. No management of players. No consideration of youth. No consideration for talent or skills at any time.

Every single time we follow this plan to a tee, basically
It stinks mate. It's the lowest ebb the club has been at imo. Worse than Shaw, worse than Ayres, worse than Craig, worse than Sando. Generally in football you get what you deserve. Ours is coming next year i feel.

We've got to get sauce to 200 games.

Personal milestones are more important than team success everyone knows that
Chappy really really really wants to hand out an on field plaque and bouquet of flowers for his best mate Sam

It's his fourth season on the list. He should be physically ready to play a full AFL season just like every other player
Tell me, how many games had he played in the AFL prior to this season ?? Also, how many games did he play last year at all ??

It makes absolutely perfect sense, some here just don't want to see it because it means Sauce comes back in. I get that, I really do, but it doesn't mean a guy who is in his first full season of AFL footy doesn't need a rest.

I mean if you want to ignore his last 2 weeks then fine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes: R21 2019 vs West Coast

Back