Preview Changes: R8 vs Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Love all the posters who are PLAY THE KIDS but also drop a bunch of 19-21 year olds...

Out:

- Matt Crouch: I’ve been a huge fan for a long time but I don’t know what’s happened to this bloke. Shell of the AA/B&F player he was. Has 0 impact.
- Hartigan: not great defensively and poor disposal
- Mackay: it’s Mackay
- Seedsman: he’s not interested. Just cruises around.

In:
- Fogarty or Frampton: up forward. Move Mcasey down back.
- Shoenberg
- Atkins Or Gibbs for Mackay...barely
- Sholl

I’m seeing people wanting Schoenberg in . I want people to tell me how we are going to play Jones, McHenry, Stengle and Schoenberg at the same time given they are all under 179cm. The other sad thing is we also have Lachlan Murphy also under 177cm, Matt Crouch at 182 cm , Mackay 181cm..... it’s just too short. We are going to have to get rid of either McHendry or Stengle or both if we want to give Schoenberg a game. Personally McAsey is missing something for me. I know he young but I don’t see it with him. Would give Worrell a chance

Average size for a midfielder would only be 180-183 cm. So not, it isn't too short.

Brad played like a guy wishing he was still in the Gold Coast...
I was actually driving along the M1 past Helensvale today looking up at the most amazing blue sky (not a ****ing cloud in sight, not even a whisp but thats nearly every winter day here..) thinking these AFL footy players from SA and Victoria that are/have been up here recently tasting a Goldy winter would have to be thinking ”what the **** am I doing living in miserable Melbourne or Adelaide”...

I turned off the M1 just before Nerang and drove past the Royal Pines... geez the Golf course looked a picture today too..

Last edited:
Gess, 3mins since the final siren and the changes thread is open.

We're learning to move on quickly!
our supporters just want to talk up the kids. Normally in the kids you see something that makes you say yes he’s got it. For Jones and McHenry I haven’t seen that beyond two things a game if not one. McAsey for mine is the same. All three just don’t look like natural footballers . I think Schoenberg has to come in for McHenry as we can’t have him and Jones, Stengle and McHenry in the same side as too short. I also don’t understand why McAsey is being so forced.... Butts played a great year in SANFL and is a long way ahead of McAsey as a defender. Also would play Worrell at this stage to change up the mix a little and give us some more run. Ronin OConor instead of Crouch also worth a try

Our midfield set ups are dire especially when ROB is getting pantsed like tonight with Ryder in the centre ball ups. We need a midfield coach and a forward coach badly. Defence seems to be structured up alright but when the balls in their hand they're pissing around with it instead of moving it with positivity and speed, meanwhile their defence are flooding back and blocking off any one on one contests.
You'd think instinctively our mids would just start to read the opposition's ruckman if they didn't have faith in O'Brien winning the hitout. That's probably what I'm struggling to understand with where we're falling down in the midfield.

We've seen teams with extremely poor ruckman where their midfielders make it still look like a 50/50 battle. Both the Crouch's are natural readers of the ball so I'm not sure why if it's poor midfield coaching they don't just back themselves in and ignore the structure some.

For mine, I think ROB is worst at the centre bounce as he lacks the jumping ability of most rucks. Once it's a ball up or something I think he competes quite well - tonight for example the hitout numbers were 28 v Ryder with 22 and Marshall 10. I won't argue that the opposition ruckman isn't hitting it down their midfielders throat at times yet the above is enough to show that it isn't reflective of the entire game.

Maybe it is just a failing of structure as I honestly can't figure it out. Well I think Matt needs to go back to being an inside midfielder as he sits out far too much and it just doesn't suit his skill set. Tonight he had 6 contested possessions and 0 centre clearances from his 28 touches. He finishes with 133 metres gained, it's just not how he should be played and this happened a bit last year too. I would love to know whether it's a coaching thing or he's just changed how he's played, it doesn't make sense...

Structures and mix was all wrong tonight. We're throwing numbers from our forward line into the middle to try and win the contest, but it leaves us unable to move the ball forward with any sort of method. Far too defensive down back.

So my changes would be

OUT: Mackay, Kelly, Hartigan
IN: Schoenberg, Davis, Frampton

Get the two forwards back in the side that we're stealing, but still add another midfielder back into the mix while McAsey goes back to defence to replace Hartigan.

I did like Laird on the wing, so you have an rotation in the middle.

Ruck: ROB/Frampton
Inside mids: Brad Crouch, Matt Crouch, Ben Keays, Chayce Jones, Harry Schoenberg
Outside mids: Rory Laird, Brodie Smith, Ned McHenry, Paul Seedsman.

Forwards are Tex, Frampton as the talls with McAdam, Stengle, Davis and Lynch, with one of the outside mids moving through a defensive and forward position for rotations.

I don't really get the hate on Kelly. He would be on an average wage compared to team mates playing in a defence continually under the pump. He is the least of our problems

Mackay and Hartigan are the minimum outs. Despite tonight's games I wouldn't bother with Tex either.

Overall someone needs to ask Nicksy what his selection strategy is. He needs to pick his strategy and stick to it.

Tonight's team didn't give any hope to supporters. I would of happily lost by three or four more goals but played a team with an eye to the future.

what exactly does he offer us both now and moving forward. He’s a role player type in a team that simply has very little need for his role.

We played the following players who you would best classify as small-medium defenders tonight: Doedee, Brown, Laird, Smith, Kelly, Hamilton, McPherson + Seedsman and Mackay whom Have played a fair bit of footy across half back. Why exactly is Kelly there?

changes for mine:
Out: Kelly, Hartigan, Mackay/Seedsman
In: Frampton/Fogarty, Davis, Scholl

Out: Nicks
In: Neeld

FFS...Nicks has SIX coaches to run the whole damn show. FIVE have left or been sacked. We went with eleven coaches the last few years. Give the man some quality support before he gets turned into Matthew Primus. Was criminal what the Pear did to him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FFS...Nicks has SIX coaches to run the whole damn show. FIVE have left or been sacked. We went with eleven coaches the last few years. Give the man some quality support before he gets turned into Matthew Primus. Was criminal what the Pear did to him.
People talk about our players not caring, that Power group were absolutely diabolical in terms of not giving a shit. Heard some stories from a guy who worked there at the time, it was barely a football club at the time.

People talk about our players not caring, that Power group were absolutely diabolical in terms of not giving a sh*t. Heard some stories from a guy who worked there at the time, it was barely a football club at the time.

Absolutely shat all over Primus after the sterling service he had given that club. Hope he stays far away from the club and the piss weak players that were laying down, week after week. Laidley "coaching" while in Melbourne using Skype. What a joke.

Even if he was, he's the same ruck as ROB. We need to find and develop a tall, mobile and athletic ruckman who can leap at a centre bounce.
Jacobs didn't have any leap but he was good at positioning his huge frame which ROB hasn't learnt and when he does, he will be one of the best ruckman in the AFL.

I know some of these are still injured but I feel this is the team we should be moving towards.

McPherson/Brown Talia McAsey
Sholl Doedee Milera(when fit)
Sloane(when fit) Smith Hamill
Lynch/Davis Fogarty(when fit) Schoenberg
Stengle Worrell McAdam

ROB Jones BCrouch

Keays Gollant O'Connor Laird

Add in 2 years of trades and high end picks and things may not be looking too bad in a couple of years.

Last edited:
We have a lot of Sub 180 players on the list, add to that a lack of speed, basically no forwards who can regularly take contested marks let alone straight kicks for goal and a Midfield who can't win a centre clearance.

Anyone who doesn't think the list is in dire shape, you need to sit down, I've got some bad news for you.

Matt Crouch is so bad I'd rather play Bryce ******* Gibbs right now. That's how dire the situation is
Does it need to be one or the other? Both out.

Gibbs:
Negotiated settlement. Cut the crap AFC that he's a valuable component.

Matt:
Get what we can for him and send him on his way. Win win for both parties. You cannot have a player running around constantly selling team mates into trouble as he cannot take any responsibility to do something with it.

Last edited:
Some of the comments on Ned have been poor at best, disgraceful at worst. But not uncommon to the people posting them.

He does need to drop the tough guy act, he's playing the game Keays is without the physical strength at this point.

However, try being a 6 gamer in the worst side in recent times when most of your senior players can't hold their heads up any given week.

I don't really get the hate on Kelly. He would be on an average wage compared to team mates playing in a defence continually under the pump. He is the least of our problems

Mackay and Hartigan are the minimum outs. Despite tonight's games I wouldn't bother with Tex either.

Overall someone needs to ask Nicksy what his selection strategy is. He needs to pick his strategy and stick to it.

Tonight's team didn't give any hope to supporters. I would of happily lost by three or four more goals but played a team with an eye to the future.

Looking at last night you would think his selection policy is to not get flogged

y

Some of the comments on Ned have been poor at best, disgraceful at worst. But not uncommon to the people posting them.

He does need to drop the tough guy act, he's playing the game Keays is without the physical strength at this point.

However, try being a 6 gamer in the worst side in recent times when most of your senior players can't hold their heads up any given week.

Ned just needs age to strenghten up, he has got the physical strength yet, maybe needs to play B's go to gym and drink stacks of protein drinks before coming back to AFL

We've introduced the most first game players of any club - as we should have - and we have a few more ready to go.

I'm not going to shit on Nicks if he's already made his call on Poholke and Himmelburg. We have to start making decisions.

We need to think long term about player development. McAsey, Jones and McHenry should all get some time out of the firsts, so they can get more of the ball and rest their body.

We might drop Matt Crouch because he seems like he's mentally lost out there. Mackay was one of our best so probably stays.

I think both Hartigan and McAsey might go this week, McAsey for a rest.

I'd also start swinging out players who aren't good enough by foot. For me, that means Kelly.

I'd probably also choose one of Jones and McHenry for a run around in the twos so they can get a bunch of the footy.

I think Fog may come back, Butts should be in the mix, Sholl has fallen off, which is a shame. Schoenberg should be close, as should Worrall. And Gibbs?

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes: R8 vs Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back