Preview Changes: R8 vs Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Have faith, you guys are every chance of beating us this week. We never perform well against teams at the bottom (won 2 of our last 7 against the then bottom side, by a combined 5 goals).

Strachan would love to play us too, he'd have a point to prove against his former VFL club.

Have faith, you guys are every chance of beating us this week. We never perform well against teams at the bottom (won 2 of our last 7 against the then bottom side, by a combined 5 goals).

Strachan would love to play us too, he'd have a point to prove against his former VFL club.

I don't think you have much to worry about.

Was that his first game ever though ??

EDIT : my bad, just looked up, he has played every game this year.

You have to persist with the young guys, you can't buy experience, its comes with longevity.
People are odd on one hand they say play the kids, then soon as they have a poor night its drop them for not dominating. It's MUCH harder to dominate and look the part in a team that's generally speaking shit. Get the games into them, another preseason too and you'll start to see some rewards. Sending them back to play scratch matches isn't going to expedite development.

I don't really care to win, long as we put in a competitive effort and generally show a few signs I'm good with that. I don't want to try to lose by any means because I'm not sure that's beneficial to anyone but if there were any year I don't care about finishing dead last its this one.

I don't think you have much to worry about.
Watch. Every team from here will be nervous that they'll be the first to lose to you guys the longer your losing streak continues. We're just better at it.
I don't really care to win, long as we put in a competitive effort and generally show a few signs I'm good with that. I don't want to try to lose by any means because I'm not sure that's beneficial to anyone but if there were any year I don't care about finishing dead last its this one.
I didn't quite feel the same way in 2016 but yeah I can understand. Besides, you're every chance of winning this.

Not to rag on Matt Crouch further, but I genuinely think he needs to go through a mini pre-season

Spend the next 2-3 weeks out of the side without playing reserves football with a pure focus on fitness. Then spend a couple of matches in the twos and work towards coming back for the last block of games.

He looks really, really unfit and that has shattered his confidence in his game and ability
I think with the 666 rule and the shorter quarters the game is even faster.

You simply can't have someone with Mrouch speed in the midfield.

If he wins the ball, he is immediately tackled, if he doesn't his opponent is already 5m in front.

He is being badly exposed for speed.

Watch. Every team from here will be nervous that they'll be the first to lose to you guys the longer your losing streak continues. We're just better at it.

I didn't quite feel the same way in 2016 but yeah I can understand. Besides, you're every chance of winning this.

I am not bothered about the result now but seeing improvement in our younger players and not persisting with veterans that don't offer anything.

Not to rag on Matt Crouch further, but I genuinely think he needs to go through a mini pre-season

Spend the next 2-3 weeks out of the side without playing reserves football with a pure focus on fitness. Then spend a couple of matches in the twos and work towards coming back for the last block of games.

He looks really, really unfit and that has shattered his confidence in his game and ability

I reckon they’re all really unfit, he’s our version of the frog.

Out:
M Crouch - Wasting midfield time on him.
Hartigan - Should only be in if a younger guy needs a week off.
Mackay - I'm not one of the perennial drop him guys (by default) but last nights disposal was that bad that he deserves to be dropped. Outside players need to be more effective.

In:
Schoenberg - It's time to get a look and by all reports he's earned it.
Butts - Again it's time to get a look for a couple weeks.
Poholke - Never gets a proper run at it, has proven he can take an overhead grab up forward.

Thin Ice:

Brown - Fallen off a cliff

I think despite the loss we gave ourselves a small chance last night. Obviously we've got huge issues in the midfield and then lacking class up forward but seemed to be better pressure and team defence so a few positives starting to emerge. At the very least we seem to have put a floor under our performances in the last 2-3 rounds which is a base to try build from over the rest of this season as we get games into young guys. I'm sure we have a chance of pinching one against a few sides, whether we do who knows.

You'd think instinctively our mids would just start to read the opposition's ruckman if they didn't have faith in O'Brien winning the hitout. That's probably what I'm struggling to understand with where we're falling down in the midfield.

We've seen teams with extremely poor ruckman where their midfielders make it still look like a 50/50 battle. Both the Crouch's are natural readers of the ball so I'm not sure why if it's poor midfield coaching they don't just back themselves in and ignore the structure some.

For mine, I think ROB is worst at the centre bounce as he lacks the jumping ability of most rucks. Once it's a ball up or something I think he competes quite well - tonight for example the hitout numbers were 28 v Ryder with 22 and Marshall 10. I won't argue that the opposition ruckman isn't hitting it down their midfielders throat at times yet the above is enough to show that it isn't reflective of the entire game.

Maybe it is just a failing of structure as I honestly can't figure it out. Well I think Matt needs to go back to being an inside midfielder as he sits out far too much and it just doesn't suit his skill set. Tonight he had 6 contested possessions and 0 centre clearances from his 28 touches. He finishes with 133 metres gained, it's just not how he should be played and this happened a bit last year too. I would love to know whether it's a coaching thing or he's just changed how he's played, it doesn't make sense...
I feel as though Matt being in the centre square for ball ups is severely hurting our clearance numbers. Matt is so good at reading the play and putting himself in the right spot to win the ball that he is first to it quite often. But then he just panics and gives the ball to someone under pressure who then gets tackled and there is a turnover. We looked so much better when he was out of the side as it gave some of the other guys a chance to get the ball in there.

A midfield of B.Crouch, Jones and Keays would be a much more effective unit IMO

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've introduced the most first game players of any club - as we should have - and we have a few more ready to go.

I'm not going to shit on Nicks if he's already made his call on Poholke and Himmelburg. We have to start making decisions.

We need to think long term about player development. McAsey, Jones and McHenry should all get some time out of the firsts, so they can get more of the ball and rest their body.

We might drop Matt Crouch because he seems like he's mentally lost out there. Mackay was one of our best so probably stays.

I think both Hartigan and McAsey might go this week, McAsey for a rest.

I'd also start swinging out players who aren't good enough by foot. For me, that means Kelly.

I'd probably also choose one of Jones and McHenry for a run around in the twos so they can get a bunch of the footy.

I think Fog may come back, Butts should be in the mix, Sholl has fallen off, which is a shame. Schoenberg should be close, as should Worrall. And Gibbs?

We've introduced the most first game players of any club - as we should have - and we have a few more ready to go.

I'm not going to sh*t on Nicks if he's already made his call on Poholke and Himmelburg. We have to start making decisions.

We need to think long term about player development. McAsey, Jones and McHenry should all get some time out of the firsts, so they can get more of the ball and rest their body.

We might drop Matt Crouch because he seems like he's mentally lost out there. Mackay was one of our best so probably stays.

I'd also start swinging out players who aren't good enough by foot. For me, that means Kelly.

I'd probably also choose one of Jones and McHenry for a run around in the twos so they can get a bunch of the footy.

I think Fog may come back, Butts should be in the mix, Sholl has fallen off, which is a shame. Schoenberg should be close, as should Worrall. And Gibbs?
Watch the replay. MacKay did some good things, but watch how many times he ballsed it up and watch his opponent and how easily they have it every time there is a contest. We must move forward ffs.

I'd like to see us try a center bounce structure where no Crouch brother attends a single bounce for the entire game. Maybe on the wing, or half forward. Maybe at stoppage clearances. But not once inside the square.

I'd be happy for us not to play him, but you're blinkered if you don't think Mackay was one of our best. One of the only players doing any run and carry, and had a lot on metres gained.

I'm not going to sh*t on Nicks if he's already made his call on Poholke and Himmelburg. We have to start making decisions.

I don't know what game you were watching but he was far from one of our best.

People are odd on one hand they say play the kids, then soon as they have a poor night its drop them for not dominating. It's MUCH harder to dominate and look the part in a team that's generally speaking sh*t. Get the games into them, another preseason too and you'll start to see some rewards. Sending them back to play scratch matches isn't going to expedite development.
I don't think that's what people are saying.

Some are saying that kids need occasional rest. Some are saying persist with the kids no matter what. And some are saying let the kids have one or two games in the twos, so they can get a bit of form back and remember what it's like to accumulate some possessions.

Different to that is the concern that some are showing that maybe our kids ds aren't actually going to amount to anything, but even those posters WANT them to.

I don't think that's what people are saying.

Some are saying that kids need occasional rest. Some are saying persist with the kids no matter what. And some are saying let the kids have one or two games in the twos, so they can get a bit of form back and remember what it's like to accumulate some possessions.

Different to that is the concern that some are showing that maybe our kids ds aren't actually going to amount to anything, but even those posters WANT them to.
There's a fair few that seem to be talking McHenry down on a weekly basis and writing him off! I'm all fine with a quick rest if they need it but when you start writing off these guys because they dont have big impact on matches in a shit team that's just ridiculous.

Happy to let both he and Jones ride the 2020 journey uninterrupted, but there’s some legitimate concerns.

The one that stands out most for Ned is his kicking. Can barely kick 35m.

Jones has had some nice moments but he had a deadset shocker last night, let’s hope he can start finding some footy soon.
Had a set shot from 50 and got touched on the line.....

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes: R8 vs Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back