Preview Changes: Round 12 vs Horks - Sat 1st June 1:15pm

Who are you tipping this week?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Might be a bit damp next weekend and every chance we will need Berry's grunt.

So no change for me other than Smith to sub and Berry to start.

Smith out, we have a plethora of players that can do a better job in his position.

Laird out, Crouch is a better option for the grunt work and once again we have a plethora of players to give midfield minutes to Harry and Berry are already in the side + a few in the ressies that could have a crack.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Himmelberg in for Burgess is the obvious change if he's fit, I think that one will happen.

The other possible change would be something with Borlase - maybe out for Hamill. Hawthorn don't have tons of tall goalscoring options so could see an approach with two small defenders like against Collingwood.

Otherwise unchanged I'd imagine.

Pretty much every week, will need to win 8 for the final 12 games, best case scenario. 2017 was the last time we managed something like that, as in winning 8 games from a block of 12. That is to say, it isn't happening.
Hawks and Tigers. Should win both.
Then it becomes 6 of the last 10. Probably actually 7.

Players under most pressure prior to today’s game:

Burgess - he’s only a stop-gap for Himmelberg, who is only a stop-gap for Thilthorpe. Unsure if EH is available next week, but if he is, he’s in for Burgess

Smith - I thought he played well and I very rarely think he plays well. Not getting dropped. Will be interesting to see if he can play to that level in more challenging game.

Jones - 3 goals. Not going anywhere. Will be interesting to see if he gains confidence from this to carry into next week.

Sholl - game high disposal winner. Not going anywhere. Will be interesting to see if he can build on this and start to be more damaging by foot (took the easy option a lot today rather than being overly creative).

Borlase - was ok, but not really placed under any pressure. 50/50 to hold his spot depending on what kind of balance we elect to go for in defence. Hamill, Curtin and Ryan are the possible replacements.

Berry - laid some amazing tackles as sub and then “almost” did a bunch of stuff. 50/50 to retain his spot. May even stay as sub again. I would personally retain him.

Schoenberg - when he got the ball he made the right decisions and executed very well. Not going anywhere.

Laird - I didn’t really rate his game but he got a lot of it. Was significantly better than he was against Collingwood so isn’t going anywhere. I’d like us to move on but it won’t be next week.

Nankervis and Cook - they shouldn’t be under any pressure at all, but i thought I should mention that both of them are looking more and more comfortable at the level. Cook didn’t do anything after half time, but he was repeatedly burned by teammates when working into space. His possessions are continually high value. Nank is just a straight up jet. What a find he’s been.

Murphy - applied good pressure and was solid. Stays in.

If Himmelberg is fit….

Out: Burgess, Borlase
In: Himmelberg, Curtin

Sub: Berry

Emg (from): Taylor, Ryan, Dowling, Strachan, Borlase

B: Michalanney - Butts - Hinge
HB: Smith - Keane - Nankervis
C: Sholl - Crouch - Curtin
HF: Rachele - Walker - Schoenberg
F: Himmelberg - Fogarty - Murphy
R: O’Brien - Dawson - Soligo
Int: Jones - Laird - Cook - Keays
Sub: Berry

Horse for courses...

Ins: Himmelberg, Curtin, Hamill
Outs: Burgess, Borlase, Smith (managed)
B: Michaelanny, Butts, Hinge
HB: Laird, Keane, Nankervis
C: Sholl, Soligo, Jones
HF: Rachele, Walker, Keays
F: Cook, Himmelberg, Fogarty
R: O’Brien, Dawson, Schoenberg
I: Hamill, Crouch, Curtin, Berry
Sub: Murphy

Really would like Taylor to come in soon.

Hawks is a 50/50. Even with those 2 we have an extremely tough draw. Even if we beat the Swans here, the draw is still very tough for us because we have already given up too many games.
At the start of this year, we would have expected a win against the Hawks. It really shouldn't have become a 50/50 game.

Jack Gunston 250th game this week. At the G with both teams trying desperately to scramble higher up the ladder

Should be a really good game. Burgess and EH swap, they have a fairly tall forward line with Gunston, Dear and Chol. So the rest remains as is

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Nankervis and Cook - they shouldn’t be under any pressure at all, but i thought I should mention that both of them are looking more and more comfortable at the level. Cook didn’t do anything after half time, but he was repeatedly burned by teammates when working into space. His possessions are continually high value. Nank is just a straight up jet. What a find he’s been.
Nicks was asked about Cook specifically in the presser. Talked about how he has great skills but came to the club a bit 'young' in football terms and needed to work on his defensive game and work rate, said he had worked through a lot of that and been impressive and specifically talked about his defensive work today and his ability to impact aerial contests.

Didn't sound like his spot was at risk. Not that Nicks is going to say he sucks or anything but he went on for much longer than necessary if it was insincere.

I think Cook was at serious risk of being omitted a couple of times this year and they stuck with him, don't think he's going anywhere at this point.

Nicks was asked about Cook specifically in the presser. Talked about how he has great skills but came to the club a bit 'young' in football terms and needed to work on his defensive game and work rate, said he had worked through a lot of that and been impressive and specifically talked about his defensive work today and his ability to impact aerial contests.

Didn't sound like his spot was at risk. Not that Nicks is going to say he sucks or anything but he went on for much longer than necessary if it was insincere.

I think Cook was at serious risk of being omitted a couple of times this year and they stuck with him, don't think he's going anywhere at this point.
In the broadcast Roo said that Cook has a ton of talent with good offensive skills but needed to grow into his body and take on the contested stuff, which he’s now starting to do

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes: Round 12 vs Horks - Sat 1st June 1:15pm

Back