Preview Changes Round 5 vs GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

From the Simmo post-game presser. Paraphrased unless "in quotes":

- Pleased to get the win - our effort last week was disappointment
- Had a big focus on start of the game, which we did well
- Went off the ball in Q2
- Conditions were tougher than they looked, but some "sloppy play"
- Shuey "rolled his ankle" .. "on the better side" of things
- He'll maybe go for scans, we're hoping he pulls up well - we think it's just a rolled ankle
- Basic errors from both sides - we made more of them Brisbane, but not good
- Both young sides, both beset with injuries - we're looking forward to getting players back
- You want your team to turn up hungry. Teams that start well in modern game start really well. We waited last week and were punished for it.
- [Question re Sheed specifically] - 1st half was good. Dropped away a bit in the second as young players can do.
- Liam had 11 touches in the last quarter - very impressive.
- McInnes had a good start and overcame some early nerves. Was a pretty good debut.
- [On question re Yeo] - we want him in the midfield more. He breaks tackles which we need. Today we were able to put him in the mid and he had "pretty good presence"
- Backline is still a work in progress. We have lots of things to work on across the board.
- If we turn up with intent we did today, we'll give ourselves every chance.
- Wellingham did "a pretty good job" down back today
- Rosa went down back to help free up Hurn at times
- Hutchings is "not far off", Brant "getting a lot of the ball", Barrass and Sinclair are starting to get the feel for defence
- Depending on injuries today, there will be a few guys putting their hands up
- [On GWS] - they're a legitimate hard-running and contested team. They're up and about - big challenge for us.
- Teams are measured by how they handled pressure - we need to do more there, more consistently.

what got me was his comments on WAFL form, mentions hutch, colledge, barass and sinclair... no mention of waterman. he really feels a bit forgotten about doesn't he.

We can't play too many forwards with our poor midfield, that is going back to the Worsfold days. We need more midfield rotations. Kennedy, Cripps, Lecras, McInnes, Hill and Lycett is 1 forward too many. Today was a walk in the park but up against the better midfields we get smashed and we need to constantly rotate players through the midfield to keep the pressure on.

So the options are to drop Hill or drop Lycett and play McInnes as a fwd/ruck. Hill is not part of our next premiership team while Lycett might be, so Lycett gets a couple of more games to prove himself. If Lycett continues to struggle then Sinclair comes in to replace him.
Or...McInness can go back, which will probably be necessary against taller opposition.

I think Hill cops a lot of unwarranted flack. He looks laconic but he actually provides more defensive pressure up forward than just about anyone, plus he usually chimes in with a couple of goals. He'll never be the team superstar, but he fills a role.

Or...McInness can go back, which will probably be necessary against taller opposition.

I think Hill cops a lot of unwarranted flack. He looks laconic but he actually provides more defensive pressure up forward than just about anyone, plus he usually chimes in with a couple of goals. He'll never be the team superstar, but he fills a role.
Yeah he's on the delist list, but he's way further down than the guy who he replaced this round.

Problem is that he's almost non-existent against good opposition, but he's not alone there I guess.

Should definitely retain his spot. Lamb and Tunbridge out means he has the opportunity

We can't play too many forwards with our poor midfield, that is going back to the Worsfold days. We need more midfield rotations. Kennedy, Cripps, Lecras, McInnes, Hill and Lycett is 1 forward too many.

Cripps, LeCras and Hill can all play HF and sometimes even feature at a center bounce or two. Lycett is a ruck and McInnes can play down back in a pinch as well. Once Darling is back I agree that one of Hill and McInnes will probably leave the side but until then I think it's working quite well up forward, and all of those players contributed up the ground today.

I like Hill and Cripps working the same forward line. Both have speed and can apply a good deal of forward pressure. Plus, having both of them gives a bit more flexibility for Le Cras to go further up the ground a bit.

I am keen to see what Colledge has earned a spot if Shuey is not good to go (or if the club chooses to demote a under-performing mid).

Mostly just want to see Duggan in for a full game.

Yeah he's on the delist list, but he's way further down than the guy who he replaced this round.

Problem is that he's almost non-existent against good opposition, but he's not alone there I guess.

Should definitely retain his spot. Lamb and Tunbridge out means he has the opportunity
Thought he was one of our best last week as well.

A bit out of left field, but...

Out: Shuey (inj)
In: Waterman

B: Nelson, McGovern, Schofield
HB: Hurn, McInnes, Butler
C: Gaff, Priddis, Rosa
HF: LeCras, Hill, Masten
F: Cripps, Kennedy, Lycett
R: Naitanui, Sheed, Yeo
I: Sheppard, Wellingham, Duggan
S: Waterman
E: Sinclair, Colledge, McGinnity

Duggan into the 21 for Shuey. Trying to think who would be a suitable sub - don't think Colledge would. Waterman's worth a go.
I Dont think we can play Priddis and Waterman tbh

Cripps, LeCras and Hill can all play HF and sometimes even feature at a center bounce or two. Lycett is a ruck and McInnes can play down back in a pinch as well. Once Darling is back I agree that one of Hill and McInnes will probably leave the side but until then I think it's working quite well up forward, and all of those players contributed up the ground today.
I'd actually like to see Lycett out of the team once Darlin is back and for McIness to back up Naitanui

The coaches are very reluctant to play McInnes down back even at WAFL level. Butler is being used as a taller def to help out McGovern & Schofield and Rosa went back a lot today to free Yeo up. I would be very surprised if McInnes was in defence against GWS.

Which again leaves us with 3 tall fwds, 2 mid-sized fwds and Cripps. If we concede that GWS have a better midfield we need to make sure we have plenty of options around the ball instead of 6 fwds. I want to see Duggan and Wellingham starting forward and pushing up into the midfield. And considering just how bad our midfield was exposed against Freo I would be copying Sydney's set up where Franklin, Tippett and McGlynn play fwd with the rest being mids rotating through. Kennedy, Cripps, LeCras and McInnes as the fwd/ruck would be the only forwards I would be picking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McInnes doesn't look to have the mobility to play in defence.

As opposed to playing with his back to goal? At least in defence he can run in straight lines and doesn't need to take a contested mark.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

But not best 22. So it's neither here nor there.

Hills problem is his contested ability and lack of midfield ability. Discrete forward with merely acceptable ground level ability and par defensive pressure.

But not best 22. So it's neither here nor there.

Hills problem is his contested ability and lack of midfield ability. Discrete forward with merely acceptable ground level ability and par defensive pressure.

Not everyone has to be a Gary Ablett type that transform into midfielders during their career
I wish the club would just play Hill and Lecras deep more often rather than trying to turn them into midfielders

GWS are looking really good imo, would be favourites to make the eight over us. Don't see us winning even if Shuey plays. I am scared.

As far as changes go, I have no idea. Fingers crossed for Shuey though I guess and Duggan to play a full game somehow but don't know who would sub for us if not him. In actual fact Duggan may be one of the best sub options on our list.

So if we win this will it be regarded as another flat track bullying? GWS have looked very good from what I've seen of them, although they've only played one top eight team.

So if we win this will it be regarded as another flat track bullying? GWS have looked very good from what I've seen of them, although they've only played one top eight team.
Big trip to Perth for the kids though. If we were playing in Sydney it'd be a different story perhaps.

They have got a few senior players though.

Not everyone has to be a Gary Ablett type that transform into midfielders during their career
I wish the club would just play Hill and Lecras deep more often rather than trying to turn them into midfielders

You've confused the issue here with some antiquated ideas about midfield ability and what is expected of a forward today. No such thing as a deep forward, especially of the non KP variety and in terms of skill set your forwards need to bring a mountain of defensive pressure and contested competitiveness at the ball drop and that's what i'd call midfield ability. It's what Cripps brings in spaces and it's what Newman brings at his best. Lecras is a grade or two better than Hill and knows how to find the pill as well.

Guys like Hill chip in when the games open up and the ball is coming in consistently. But if your midfield is down you need your forwards high up the ground and into the defensive half and making their presence known. Hill just doesn't do this and never will.

We won't play Waterman because like Colledge he needs to do more.

Are you being tounge in cheek here?

Both are far from complete packages but I'd be happy to give either a decent crack in the middle. I actually mean in the middle too. None of this flanker or sub bullshit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes Round 5 vs GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Back