Preview Changes V Bombers

Remove this Banner Ad

It was bad but I still have the worst in 20 years as Curtly Hampton's 2 disposal effort (83% TOG) against Richmond in 2018

It was so bad he retired a few weeks later, claiming lost motivation to play the game (and illness)
Ok, fair enough. But that game by Ned will be remembered by many in a similar vein.

“Remember when McHenry spudded it up against Carlton in that epic win? There were literally potatoes growing in the ground wherever he stepped foot he was that spuddy”

I really don’t understand our coaches mindset wasting games on the likes of McHenry or Murphy. We would be way better off using that spot to develop the likes of Peds, Dowling, Taylor, Bond, Curtin, Ryan or Edwards.

There is no way that Murphy or McHenrys immediate productivity outweighs the development value of putting games into those kids.

No, it does. The value for 'putting games into development' is precisely 0 on its own.

The only thing that matters in football is the next match and building the best possible side for winning it using whatever identity you've crafted.

It was bad but I still have the worst in 20 years as Curtly Hampton's 2 disposal effort (83% TOG) against Richmond in 2018

It was so bad he retired a few weeks later, claiming lost motivation to play the game (and illness)
You'd think that you'd at least leave the "I'm retiring" decision making until after the game though

Except when the immediate productivity of the player they are displacing is negative. Which is what Ned’s game was.

Sure, and I expect Ned to be dropped back to sub because of it and Crouch being suspended. After all, that kind of role has a very quick hook. Bottom of the rotation forwards are interchangeable if they aren't performing.

That said, any arguments about long term development of players is a reason to drop a role player holds no weight because selection has nothing to do with long term planning. It's purely about winning the next game with what you have available. If it is though that the best fit to a structure is a Ned McHenry - and there are genuine cases where that is true, most revolve the sub role though - Ned is the one selected.

Sure, and I expect Ned to be dropped back to sub because of it and Crouch being suspended. After all, that kind of role has a very quick hook. Bottom of the rotation forwards are interchangeable if they aren't performing.

That said, any arguments about long term development of players is a reason to drop a role player holds no weight because selection has nothing to do with long term planning. It's purely about winning the next game with what you have available. If it is though that the best fit to a structure is a Ned McHenry - and there are genuine cases where that is true, most revolve the sub role though - Ned is the one selected.
Ned as sub is a waste of seating that could be used to store drink bottles.

You have a good point on their forwards as they have only the 1 really big tall.

Keane - resting ruckman
Worrell - Jones
Curtin - Langford
Hinge - Stringer

There's absolutely no way I'd be debuting Curtin at FB. It's bleedingly obvious that he is a terrible FB, but a great playmaker through HBF/wing. I'd much rather that the AFC worked this out in the SANFL, than embarrassingly in the AFL for all to see.

There's absolutely no way I'd be debuting Curtin at FB. It's bleedingly obvious that he is a terrible FB, but a great playmaker through HBF/wing. I'd much rather that the AFC worked this out in the SANFL, than embarrassingly in the AFL for all to see.
Play him on Jones then who plays higher up the ground.

The point is Essendon have more mid sized type forwards so this is a good opportunity to bring him in.

Couldn't disagree more.

If you reach the point where you realise that your best team with all role players included ain't winning anything worth a pile of beans then the focus has to move to how we can build a team that wins.

There is no point soldiering on with a middling team with no improvement in them.

If what you're saying was the case, Greg Matthews would have kept twirling away and Shane Warne wouldn't have had the chance to average over 300 with the ball early in his test career, or to take 700 wickets later.

The SANFL side is terrible atm. He won't learn much until it gets stronger, and a system develops.

The SANFL side is terrible atm. He won't learn much until it gets stronger, and a system develops.
It looked so thin on paper Saturday

From our senior list, no Burgess (travelling emergency) plus Murphy, Thilthorpe, Sloane, Schoenberg, Murray, Milera, Parnell has left us a bit light on

After watching the 2 games the sanfl team has played, IMO there are only 4 players who should be in the AFL team. They are Dowling Curtain Edwards and ryan. These lads are getting slaughtered by the inepititude of the rest of the other players. Jay Boyle of the top ups is a good player.
People are saying bring Pedlar back in. Not so fast, His disposal is woeful. Streaming towards goal 40 metres out dead in front and kicks it OOF. He struggled to win possession for most of the game. He's sadly out of form atm.

On the subject of Toby Murray, he got the goal kicking yips this week. Another one who missed easy set shots for goal. Still there is some talent. I'll watch him with interest in the coming games. He maybe a good selection for the MSD.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After watching the 2 games the sanfl team has played, IMO there are only 4 players who should be in the AFL team. They are Dowling Curtain Edwards and ryan. These lads are getting slaughtered by the inepititude of the rest of the other players. Jay Boyle of the top ups is a good player.
People are saying bring Pedlar back in. Not so fast, His disposal is woeful. Streaming towards goal 40 metres out dead in front and kicks it OOF. He struggled to win possession for most of the game. He's sadly out of form atm.

I'd probably take an out of form Pedlar over McHenry.

Pedlar at least has some X factor and is a more mercurial player who may just turn it back on.

We have all seen McHenry.... He has 0 X-factor and ordinary skills. 8 Possessions, 0 goals with 81% TOG.

We technically don't lose anything doing this change lets be honest.

I'd probably take an out of form Pedlar over McHenry.

Pedlar at least has some X factor and is a more mercurial player who may just turn it back on.

We have all seen McHenry.... He has 0 X-factor and ordinary skills. 8 Possessions, 0 goals with 81% TOG.

We technically don't lose anything doing this change lets be honest.
You forgot 38% DE.

That’s 3 effective disposals!

Butts is not the answer at full back, I'm convinced he is not the future of that position.

Unfortunately we have no other options.
+
Butts has stuffed up so many forward thrusts
Jones is invisible.
This doesn't look like much but it might be serious.
Still 16 points behind, the Crows (Berry?) kicked across to Butts in space, who should take a straightforward mark:
1713162907789.png
but inexplicably, Butts dropped the sitter!
Either Butts was all ready playing on and took his eye off the ball, or (and this is not a nice suggestion)
he heard foosteps :grimacing: :sadv1: .
Luckily, the ball spilled to Nankervis who knocked it back to Butts, gets it back and it's cleared.

If Butts heard footsteps, I want him dropped.
I'd rather he got cleaned up, poleaxed, than shirk/fear the contest and drop a mark like that.

Michael F**king Christian. That cancer should have been cut out of the AFL a long time ago, instead its left tokeep attacking us and penalising us over and above any other club. I don't care that Butters is a port player, it was the same type of incident, yet Christian gets to keep being vindictive our way. He needs to be made and example of and sacked

Michael F**king Christian. That cancer should have been cut out of the AFL a long time ago, instead its left tokeep attacking us and penalising us over and above any other club. I don't care that Butters is a port player, it was the same type of incident, yet Christian gets to keep being vindictive our way. He needs to be made and example of and sacked

It’s different though and the still frames show it, as does the real time vision.
Crouch didn’t attempt to go for the ball until after he bumped him.

Laird says he doesnt think Butts will play this week…

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Does Lairdy doze off during the interview or does he muster the enthusiasm to get through?

Just kidding! Different strokes for different folks

images-2.jpeg

Ins - Outs
Curtin - Smith
Dowling - Crouch suspension
Strachan - O’Brien managed
Pedlar - McHenry

B: Keane, Butts, Hinge
HB: Michaelanny, Worrell, Hamill
C: Nankervis, Soligo, Jones
HF: Rachele, Walker, Keays
F: Cook, Fogarty, Gollant
R: Strachan, Dawson, Rankine
I: Curtin, Laird, Dowling, Berry
Sub: Pedlar
Can't risk Butts with a dodgy hamstring & we don't need a 2nd tall against the Don's.

Ins - Outs
Curtin - Butts injured
Dowling - Crouch suspended
Strachan - O'Brien managed
Pedlar - McHenry fishing

B: Michaelanny, Keane, Hinge
HB: Curtin, Worrell, Hamill
R: O’Brien, Dawson, Rankine
I: Smith, Laird, Dowling, Berry
Sub: Pedlar

Can't risk Butts with a dodgy hamstring & we don't need a 2nd tall against the Don's.

Ins - Outs
Curtin - Butts injured
Dowling - Crouch suspended
Strachan - O'Brien managed
Pedlar - McHenry fishing

B: Michaelanny, Keane, Hinge
HB: Curtin, Worrell, Hamill
R: O’Brien, Dawson, Rankine
I: Smith, Laird, Dowling, Berry