Changes V Lions Rd3

Remove this Banner Ad

Doc Larkins said there were concerns with Duffields Lungs. Apparently got scans and was cleared. So from that i expect him to play or he might miss one with soreness and bruising.

We were way too tall up forward to start off with so either Bradley or Anthony has probably got to give way for Neale/Mundy. Duffield probably will be rested as a pre caution, Mello should be fine from a cork, depending on how deep it is.

Ins: Mundy, Neale, JVB

Outs: Bradley, Duffield, Mellington (if injured)

In: Mundy, Morabito, Silvagni, Neale
Out: Anthony, Duffield, Mellingtonm Pearce

FB: Ibbotson Dawson Silvagni
HB: Mcphee Mcpharlin Suban
C: Hill Barlow Neale
HF: Mayne Pavlich Mzungu
FF: De Boer Bradley Clarke
1st: Sandilands Crowley Fyfe
Int Broughton Mundy Johnson Morabito (Sub)

Don't think Lyon will be doing a Harvey and bring back players early. Mundy has been ready for two weeks and he won't play him. Barlow spent two weeks as a sub. Couldn't see them rushing Mora back even if he didn't do his hammy this week.

When you consider the free kick count (27-14 in favour of Swans), and the major positive impact that Barlow had when he came on (Freo won the second half), I don't think there's a real need for major line-up changes.

IMO, Suban & Ibbotson need some WAFL time to rediscover their mojos. They seem to get gigs based on reputation. I hear Menegola played well on weekend - really like the look of him. Shame Spurr is on rookie list - would like to see how he goes in Suban's role. For me:

Out: Suban, Ibbo, McPhee, Mellington
In: Mundy, Silvagni, Menegola, Lower

First time caller, long time listener.....

Pending match ups ( which I haven't considered in depth )

I predict more positional changes than personnel changes - take Hill to the half back flank and Broughton with him down back, drop suban who IMO is not in the current best 22 freeing up a position bring Mundy into the middle with Barlow running out 4 quarters alongside him. Along that vein I would bring de boer into the middle to allow Crowley a rest - crowls habit of dropping to the ground in a contest and/ or bombing it without looking in general play is too costly, bring either neale or lower in to rotate through the HFF until bellas return next week. Lastly and of most concern has been keplars inability to clunk any form of contested mark this season- Anthony to be retained with pav and mayne permanently positioned forward, having zac Clarke rotating through the forward zone in rotation with sandi - both of whom have impressed with contested marking so far this year.
I rate silvagni in all areas over zac Dawson but for stability and until form warrants it will predict no change on that front.

And for those calling for mcpharlin to be rested need to take a bex and a lay down, likewise anyone who thinks crozier will play this season.

First time caller, long time listener.....

Pending match ups ( which I haven't considered in depth )

I predict more positional changes than personnel changes - take Hill to the half back flank and Broughton with him down back, drop suban who IMO is not in the current best 22 freeing up a position bring Mundy into the middle with Barlow running out 4 quarters alongside him. Along that vein I would bring de boer into the middle to allow Crowley a rest - crowls habit of dropping to the ground in a contest and/ or bombing it without looking in general play is too costly, bring either neale or lower in to rotate through the HFF until bellas return next week. Lastly and of most concern has been keplars inability to clunk any form of contested mark this season- Anthony to be retained with pav and mayne permanently positioned forward, having zac Clarke rotating through the forward zone in rotation with sandi - both of whom have impressed with contested marking so far this year.
I rate silvagni in all areas over zac Dawson but for stability and until form warrants it will predict no change on that front.

And for those calling for mcpharlin to be rested need to take a bex and a lay down, likewise anyone who thinks crozier will play this season.

Welcome the board Dman!

On Hill, I think he does extremely well when he is on ball as shown by the last to games in the 2nd half when moved inside at the drop of Sandi and earnt his own ball. Lyon made mention of this in his 6PR thing today and he admits he made a few mistakes with players and is learning a few things, I envisage Hill being kept on ball or coming in from the wing to the centre square this week.

Lyon made no mention of Silvagni as the guys in the 2nds performing well. (e.g. Roberton, Grover, JVB and Griffin) so he must be a few more games to earn his spot. The forward spot could become his avenue into the team if Jack and Kepler have shockers again...

If I was to take that game in isolation, Michael Johnson would get the bullet. He was beyond shit and the worst player on the field...including Mellington and Duffield who played a half.
Our structure was wrong. We played tall which was fine...but we played them up the ground...too far.

Suban was quiet, but wouldn't say he stunk.

Barlow made a hell of a difference.
I watched Sandi closely. He hit to our guys, who couldn't clear the congestion or stuffed the handball.

Clarke is looking really good now. Seriously drool worthy.
I'd drop Pearce, and toss up between Dawson and Johnson. Thought McPhee was reasonable and Hill's second half on ball was encouraging.
Mundy, Silvagni, Neale, Lower, even Morabito to be looked at.

If I was to take that game in isolation, Michael Johnson would get the bullet. He was beyond shit and the worst player on the field...including Mellington and Duffield who played a half.
Our structure was wrong. We played tall which was fine...but we played them up the ground...too far.

Suban was quiet, but wouldn't say he stunk.

Not sure I can agree with this. Suban had 11 touches, 9 of which were uncontested, 5 of which were ineffective.

Johnson wasn't great but he was easily a level above Suban. Suban just cannot get involved.

Well Morabito's out for 2 weeks with a tier 1 hamstring tear and then will be resuming his come back in the WAFL according to Ross Lyon tonight.

Ross also said that Mundy is likely to play but has refused to guarantee that Barlow will play a full game.

Johnson's "defending" was atrocious. He was lazy and making basic skill errors.
Suban had a couple of clangers. He wasn't great but after last week's good showing Johnson was diabolical.

Thought the real unsung heroes of the second half were Mzungu and De Boer.

And for Sydney Matthew Nicholls. That bald headed git butt ****ed us severely.

Well Morabito's out for 2 weeks with a tier 1 hamstring tear and then will be resuming his come back in the WAFL according to Ross Lyon tonight.

Ross also said that Mundy is likely to play but has refused to guarantee that Barlow will play a full game.

I don't know how he can do that. Barlow has played two half games and completed the majority of the pre-season so how could he be behind Mundy. You would think if anything Mundy would be the sub. I hope Mundy is ready but if he isn't don't risk it.

You can just see Mark Harvey getting into Vossy's ear and telling them to send over J.Brown with 5 small quick forwards at his feet and make MJ play accountable footy... :(

Tracking back over 50m, could any of these players beat a small FWD from Brisbane like Banfield/Cornelius/Rockliff:

1. Dawson - NO
2. McPharlin - Maybe
3. MJ - NO
4. Suban - NO
5. Pearce - NO
6. Ibbotson - YES
7. Broughton - Maybe

Surely we wouldn't bring in Grover or Roberton, even with good WAFL form?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can just see Mark Harvey getting into Vossy's ear and telling them to send over J.Brown with 5 small quick forwards at his feet and make MJ play accountable footy... :(

Tracking back over 50m, could any of these players beat a small FWD from Brisbane like Banfield/Cornelius/Rockliff:

1. Dawson - NO
2. McPharlin - Maybe
3. MJ - NO
4. Suban - NO
5. Pearce - NO
6. Ibbotson - YES
7. Broughton - Maybe

Surely we wouldn't bring in Grover or Roberton, even with good WAFL form?

Cornelius is a key positional forward.

Rockliff is a tall midfielder, who has spent time forward in the first 2 rounds but wont with Black out.

Ibbotson/Suban go to Banfield than the rest of them are medium types which you guys have plenty of.

Brown, Resting Ruck (Assuming merrett goes back) probably get Mcpharlin and Dawson (assuming SOS isnt named). M.Johnson probably gets Lester if hes forward. Ibbo as i said to Banfield. Than they have Polec and Bewick on half forward flanks. Not sure if Duffield is fit he would take one and i would think Mcphee/Suban gets the other if named to play.

Will be interesting to see who Crowley tags probably Rockliff or Redden. Beams will probably try target Fyfe. Rich will go H2H with who else starts in the middle Mzungu/Broughton/Mundy or Barlow. Pavlich surely goes forward in this game and stays there for long periods.

Welcome the board Dman!

On Hill, I think he does extremely well when he is on ball as shown by the last to games in the 2nd half when moved inside at the drop of Sandi and earnt his own ball. Lyon made mention of this in his 6PR thing today and he admits he made a few mistakes with players and is learning a few things, I envisage Hill being kept on ball or coming in from the wing to the centre square this week.

The idea has merit.

Thinking more about Hill's role and his dynamics in the team, I was going to create a thread about it this week. Despite appearances, he's not outside. I don't think he has played many games without a substantial percentage of contested possessions. He is about as 50/50 as a player gets. And so the comparison to Headland is wildly unfair. There is a reason he gets compared to McLeod and Matera - because they were of the same mould - extremely damaging on the outside with an ability to win the hard ball.

And no surprise they ended up playing a huge amount of their games behind the ball.

Johnson's "defending" was atrocious. He was lazy and making basic skill errors.

Can someone gif that clip of MiJ providing a shepherd rather than a chase, to allow Jetta in for an uncontested goal, after he clangered the mark?

Saw it again tonight and just about threw my shoe at the TV. Total brain snap... obviously thought Jetta was on the same team... :eek:

Jack was OK in patches. Tried hard (unlike some) but just isn't really up to that level I don't think.

Ibbotson is the softest player in the AFL bar none. Replace him with anyone willing to have a dip.

Silvagni MUST come in, either for Dawson, Mayne, Jack or Kepler.

cant see how dropping mayne once he finally got them through the big sticks is a good idea. :confused:

dawson is as good as silvagni, so i would suggest we drop kepler if silvagni played well enough in the wafl to warrant a recall, does anyone know how alex played?

McPhee, suban and Crowley need to be dropped if we have so much depth, they turn the ball over way to much. Barlow needs a full game, lower will still be over done. mundy for sub if mello is injured I'd like to see Walters come in... Deffintly scos for McPhee and Pav needs to stay in the forward line. to many times when we got the ball and did not turn it over we had no body in the forward 50.... today was a joke.

walters???? your joking right :confused:

If Silvagni doesn't come into the side, I'm going to cry. Does Lyon seriously not realize he is 100 times better than Dawson? And even as a forward he would be better than JA and Kepler.

I think dawson is equal to silvagni

Spurr seems fairly quick , problem is he's stuck on the rookie list.

its an unfortunate situation, bordering on laughable that we find ourselves in... whilst pearce may have earnt a spot on our squad, he has done nothign at afl level to suggest that he is anything other than a d-grade plodder, it was a mistake to elevate him.... and now that we have other rookies playing well at wafl level, who could be decent at afl level, we cant elevate them... i'm all for rewarding effort and wafl performances, but pearce will never be anything other than bog-ordinary in the afl

Out: Duffield (inj), Mellington (inj), Bradley (omitted)

In: Mundy, Neale, Lower

Mundy to start as Sub with Barlow starting on ball. Need to drop some height Bradley comes out cause he can't take a contested mark. Neale can go up forward with stints in the midfield. Would like to see Lower on ball with Broughton moved to the back line as a small defender.

Out: Duffield (inj), Mellington (inj), Bradley (omitted)

In: Mundy, Neale, Lower

Mundy to start as Sub with Barlow starting on ball. Need to drop some height Bradley comes out cause he can't take a contested mark. Neale can go up forward with stints in the midfield. Would like to see Lower on ball with Broughton moved to the back line as a small defender.

I like the idea, but i would rather see Pitt than Neale play. I just think he has more match fitness and we cant afford to take two under done players into the game.

I like the idea, but i would rather see Pitt than Neale play. I just think he has more match fitness and we cant afford to take two under done players into the game.

Yeah I was a little concerned about match fitness but more that of Lower than Neale as Neale has had a full preseason, several nab cup games and a run in the wafl I think he could handle playing up forward. Lower was more the question mark for me as I haven't heard much about his pre season and he has played hardly any footy this year. The only problem I have with Pitt is I can't see him holding his spot in the 22 with Duffield and Ballantyne likely to come back in round 4.

Yeah I was a little concerned about match fitness but more that of Lower than Neale as Neale has had a full preseason, several nab cup games and a run in the wafl I think he could handle playing up forward. Lower was more the question mark for me as I haven't heard much about his pre season and he has played hardly any footy this year. The only problem I have with Pitt is I can't see him holding his spot in the 22 with Duffield and Ballantyne likely to come back in round 4.
Duffield trained this morning ,Barlow and Johnson didnt

Duffield trained this morning ,Barlow and Johnson didnt

I wonder if Barlow missed training this morning because Lyon wants to play him to play a full game this week?

Remove this Banner Ad

Changes V Lions Rd3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back