Prediction Changes v Melbourne (Round 19)

Remove this Banner Ad

This is a primetime game on 7 too btw, so that little curse is in play

They smashed us primetime, channel 7 in the wet at Optus in 2022 when we played
Yeah it’s not looking good. We lose and we’re out of the eight. Melb are probably a lot harder to prepare for without Gawn and Trac than with them

Prior to being drafted Draper played in multiple roles, back,forward and ruck. At Peel he seems to have been pigeon holed as the deepest tall defender.
If he does end up with an extended stint at Peel I hope he is used in more attacking roles.

I get the thinking. Might be something fun for the future. But it’s something Draper has never done at any level.

Let him get double figure possessions for Peel first.

Prior to being drafted Draper played in multiple roles, back,forward and ruck. At Peel he seems to have been pigeon holed as the deepest tall defender.
If he does end up with an extended stint at Peel I hope he is used in more attacking roles.

Some alternative facts at play here...

Can anyone confirm or deny that Draper has at any point in his life played the less accountable, more attacking 'Third Tall ' role?

Can anyone confirm or deny that Draper has at any point in his life played the less accountable, more attacking 'Third Tall ' role?

I was more talking about the idea of him racking up disposals simply by freeing him up. It’s not something he’s ever done or really shown a natural ability to be able to do. Half his touches at the moment come from marks.

If we want him in a more attacking role, let’s give him a chance at Peel first.

But from what I saw of him pre draft, it was mostly tall forward and some ruck work before moving to KPD late in the Colts.

Hawks in Tassie is very tough but I be won't as optimistic or calm if we drop this one. Next two games need to be locked away with minimal fuss to then give us a month to see if we are top 4 or not rather than scramble to make the 8. The footy we played yesterday is good enough to win all remaining games if we simply kick straight.

I don't think it can be understated how big an in Pearce will be, yet alone Darcy as well.

Last edited:
Out: Voss (structural), Draper, Walters

In: Darcy, Pearce, Brodie/ Erasmus

Aish to sub

Fyfe is on the thinnest of ice, its only credits in the bank keeping him in.
Walker more likely to come in over a mid in Brodie/Ras and if that happens we may see Chapman on a wing as part of a def/mid rotation (which I like).

Special mention to Sturts knee, if it’s not 100% WTf do we persist with an injured B grader

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Out: Voss (structural), Draper, Walters

In: Darcy, Pearce, Brodie/ Erasmus

Aish to sub

Walker more likely to come in over a mid in Brodie/Ras and if that happens we may see Chapman on a wing as part of a def/mid rotation (which I like).

Special mention to Sturts knee, if it’s not 100% WTf do we persist with an injured B grader

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Walker has to come in for Pickett. He’s the natural defensive stopper. Missed him v Shai Bolton and Watson. He’s underrated for the defence to work

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Darcy nullified Gawn last time. Him and Jackson should dominate Petty and Van Rooyen.
they will be ready for us this time, but we have had an 8 day break and we are on home turf

they have to win it for the Purple Haze (a shame it isn't on a Saturday night)

Gonna fly the flag for Sturt here. Sure he didn't do a lot with the ball, but he chased and harried well all day. Did you see that half-pitch sprint he put in and nearly got the Hawks player (I forget who). Wasn't a great day for him offensively, but unless the knee is bad, sticking fat will build confidence, and he's a confidence player if ever I've seen one.

If the other option is Walters, Sturt's got my vote. Can't see Emmett in at this stage - would prefer Voss playing as a medium tbh.

Melb looked on heavy legs finishing that game against the dons. Freo bounce back next week.

For those pushing for it, Walters won’t be dropped. JL just won’t do it. Obviously it’s the right choice, but it’s his to make unfortunately.

Pearce and Darcy return. Cox looked good v Hawks. Back 6 starting to strengthen leading into finals…yes I said it the F word. Sturt has gone goalless last two weeks. Doesn’t look 100%

Gonna fly the flag for Sturt here. Sure he didn't do a lot with the ball, but he chased and harried well all day. Did you see that half-pitch sprint he put in and nearly got the Hawks player (I forget who). Wasn't a great day for him offensively, but unless the knee is bad, sticking fat will build confidence, and he's a confidence player if ever I've seen one.

If the other option is Walters, Sturt's got my vote. Can't see Emmett in at this stage - would prefer Voss playing as a medium tbh.
Sturt and Treacy basically were our forward pressure. Even Jye tackled more than Freddy, Banners and Sonny, though he obviously had little game time.

On Pixel 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Walters, Fyfe & JOM are becoming problematic. Obviously judging by the selection this year JL doesn't want to drop any of them but Sonny & Nat are becoming net negatives and JOM while very clean & tidy doesn't dominate.

Brodie is the most hard done by player on the list. Surely he gets at least a chance at some stage if Nat keeps spudding up his kicks and making poor decisions? I know he's doing good work with his big body and general smarts around clearance but he's mentally shot.

Walters is physically cooked. It's a shame Simpson isn't doing more at Peel as he screams class. Emmett is all effort and no class. I would really like to see Erasmus given a chance as a half forward. At least you know he's going to put pressure on.

My kid played with him for a few years in the NGA academy. Remember him playing in the ruck mainly at that level. Tore West Coast a new one in one game at Mineral Resources.

Still find it strange that Walker was playing at Peel rather than against Hawthorn. Have yet to come across a rational explanation.
Favourites ?
Aish shouldn’t be ahead of Walker. Ain’t time for that crap.
JOM, Fyfe, Aish have to be put on notice not for experience.

Out: Voss, Draper, Aish
In Darcy, Pearce, Walker

We need Walker for Kossie, Chapman takes Fritch again and is given a clear role to defend like his spot depends on it.
Draper unlucky.
Voss needs to work on his accuracy, we can carry one forward with the yips (Amiss) we clearly can’t carry two.

He is really not.

Its going to take a couple of very bad performances for them to even discuss dropping him.

Sturt and Treacy basically were our forward pressure. Even Jye tackled more than Freddy, Banners and Sonny, though he obviously had little game time.

On Pixel 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app
I don’t really think you can fault Freddys effort, but the guy can’t hold a tackle to save his life. Haven’t rewatched but I remember him having plenty of tackle attempts but they’re all useless until he can hold them for longer than 2 seconds

it was a tough game, mostly played between the arcs and outside of young we had a pretty poor mid-fwd connection. wont judge the fwds too harsly off that outside of their accuracy as our entries were mostly shallow.

should be better matched up against the dees, especially with darcy back in. didnt watch the full melbourne game but from little bits it mostly seemed as if the bombers didnt play to the conditions? we should be able to get back on top of our clearance game with no gawn or trac and oliver off his best. keep it away from may and lever and should be good for our push to top 4.

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction Changes v Melbourne (Round 19)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back