Prediction Changes v Melbourne (Round 19)

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah but Melb are obviously going to play differently when they’re expecting to lose the hitouts.
this. plus Kossy getting more midfield time lately a huge potential banana skin if we don't plan for it. we know Dees' transition play is good.

on paper, we should beat them without Gawn and Trac but it needs the right game plan, in no way a lock.

it was a tough game, mostly played between the arcs and outside of young we had a pretty poor mid-fwd connection. wont judge the fwds too harsly off that outside of their accuracy as our entries were mostly shallow.

should be better matched up against the dees, especially with darcy back in. didnt watch the full melbourne game but from little bits it mostly seemed as if the bombers didnt play to the conditions? we should be able to get back on top of our clearance game with no gawn or trac and oliver off his best. keep it away from may and lever and should be good for our push to top 4.
I watched it & would say a good part of why Dees won was Oliver who played very well in the conditions.

Draper should stay in and Chappy sent to play wing.
Quite like this one. Who is out in this scenario? When things go south in-game most of our issues seem to be in the middle which is still a work in progress.

Structure looks good with Sturt above Walters so unless Sturt is injured he stays.

Quite like this one. Who is out in this scenario? When things go south in-game most of our issues seem to be in the middle which is still a work in progress.

Structure looks good with Sturt above Walters so unless Sturt is injured he stays.
Won't happen but Walters should be dropped for mine. We need a damaging mid or mid/ utility as sub, not a forward. Imo. Might be my imagination, as I haven't really checked the stats but we seem to be running out of legs, especially now that Serong is being tagged and sent forward sometimes.
Of course Walters will play this week and kick five and shut us all up for a month.

Won't happen but Walters should be dropped for mine. We need a damaging mid or mid/ utility as sub, not a forward. Imo. Might be my imagination, as I haven't really checked the stats but we seem to be running out of legs, especially now that Serong is being tagged and sent forward sometimes.
Of course Walters will play this week and kick five and shut us all up for a month.
Walters, 4 poss. 1 fluke goal..

I don’t really think you can fault Freddys effort, but the guy can’t hold a tackle to save his life. Haven’t rewatched but I remember him having plenty of tackle attempts but they’re all useless until he can hold them for longer than 2 seconds
He's just not getting involved enough. All his stats are down on the previous three years. Although a crude measure, even the fact he's had 1 free for and 2 against for the whole season, suggests he's not involved at all in contests. I hope he finds some form. It's been quite the slump and I'm getting sick of harping on about him. In form, he's such an important player especially when he gets involved in our attacking chains.

On Pixel 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app

He's just not getting involved enough. All his stats are down on the previous three years. Although a crude measure, even the fact he's had 1 free for and 2 against for the whole season, suggests he's not involved at all in contests. I hope he finds some form. It's been quite the slump and I'm getting sick of harping on about him. In form, he's such an important player especially when he gets involved in our attacking chains.

Seems to not be getting out on the flanks enough, I'd say that's an instruction? Just remember seeing him up the field more in the past.
Freddy is just one of those players (like Bolton) who doesn't need a heap of touches to have impact.

Like I said, can’t fault his effort, but his execution is just not there. Rarely in the right spots for his teammates to actually use him, and his tackles never stick. I’m hoping that it’s just the lack of continuity and the concussion that have affected his game, and that he gets back to his best next year.

Need the ball in his hands more bc when he does get it he uses it really well.

Seems to not be getting out on the flanks enough, I'd say that's an instruction? Just remember seeing him up the field more in the past.
Freddy is just one of those players (like Bolton) who doesn't need a heap of touches to have impact.
I remember watching games in the past few years at Optus and there being multiple instances every game where they ignore Freddy when he’s in a great spot. Can’t think of one time this year where I’ve thought the same thing. Definitely not getting up the ground as much this year.

this. plus Kossy getting more midfield time lately a huge potential banana skin if we don't plan for it. we know Dees' transition play is good.

on paper, we should beat them without Gawn and Trac but it needs the right game plan, in no way a lock.
I'd be very surprised if Melbourne won on structure. We have more gears than them so have it on flexibility. Overall there aren't too many games where you could isolate a loss to the game plan this year.

It's a bit of an intangible, but by my reading of it Longmuir's a better strategic coach than Goodwin by some margin.

fear of getting injured again? he isn't being the same mach winning Freddy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i think thats by design mostly. thinking back to 2022/23, freddy would have been just about the only player we ever had to connect the mids and forwards and we only looked good when he was involved, getting out the back and running into space. our game plan has certainly shifted this year, less involvement from the half forwards, probably from a result of losing shoota.

were also now resting a mid forward more often and having switta involved at the stoppages which i think limits freddy to the 50. agreed though he needs to get invovled more, adds a bit of spark and can make things happen out of nothing

Definitely, I think that's supported by the stats of so few rebound and inside 50s compared to previous years. I prefer him playing up the ground a bit. Get him more involved.

Love hearing the never ending calls for Fyfe to go.
So I have a question. Are we about to go into a must win game or are we developing for the future
These are the stats from last week
And I have included O’Meara for good measure

Fyfe. Johnson. O’Meara
TOG. 63%. 71%. 81%
Champion data. 10.4. 6.4. 5.2
Possession. 19. 12. 19
Cont p & marks. 8. 1. 3
Efficiency. 78%. 83%. 78%
Clearances. 3. 0. 2
Tackles. 2. 5. 3
Pressure acts. 15. 22. 14
Clangers. 1. 0. 2

Dropping Fyfe / keeping Johnson makes us a weaker side. I’m not saying drop Johnson but Fyfe is a long way from being our problem

Love hearing the never ending calls for Fyfe to go.
So I have a question. Are we about to go into a must win game or are we developing for the future
These are the stats from last week
And I have included O’Meara for good measure

Fyfe. Johnson. O’Meara
TOG. 63%. 71%. 81%
Champion data. 10.4. 6.4. 5.2
Possession. 19. 12. 19
Cont p & marks. 8. 1. 3
Efficiency. 78%. 83%. 78%
Clearances. 3. 0. 2
Tackles. 2. 5. 3
Pressure acts. 15. 22. 14
Clangers. 1. 0. 2

Dropping Fyfe / keeping Johnson makes us a weaker side. I’m not saying drop Johnson but Fyfe is a long way from being our problem
It's just his game time. When he fades out of the game he is replaced by Johnson instead of, say Brodie. They are also managing Young by playing him forward and Serong is being tagged out of there. Fyfe can'i carry that load for a full game. Would be nice of Brodie took over from him when Fyfe goes forward or rests on the bench

Maybe Freddy’s role has changed to some extent.
I think it was Taylor who yesterday mentioned that recovery from a concussion was extremely variable.
I recall Doug Wade being interviewed about his career. He said that it took him a full year to feel quite right after suffering a concussion.

Maybe Freddy’s role has changed to some extent.
I think it was Taylor who yesterday mentioned that recovery from a concussion was extremely variable.
I recall Doug Wade being interviewed about his career. He said that it took him a full year to feel quite right after suffering a concussion.
Same for Amiss - lingering concussion effects?

Same for Amiss - lingering concussion effects?
We never used, or got the chance to use Freddy in the corridor on Saturday. They denied us that and we struggles.But , he does not get invloved in scrums. He needs to become more invloved in passages where he has to work.But is still a required player.
He playes his best footy when we run the ball through the corridor.

None of our forwards do well when starting from a stationary position. You see them congregated 70m ahead of the ball waiting for the kick to make the lead, no time to get separation. Amiss is no good, actually none of the forwards/talls are good with it landing on top of their head flat footed, and needs to be on the move marking to be effective.

Just like every other side, we thrive when we are allowed to move the ball fast and a significant amount of effort every game goes into slowing down the ball movement.

What we need is to play the likes of Walker and Clark 30m ahead of the ball when we are trying to move it, before we ultimately bomb it long to the contest - take the mark and immediately handball to the overlap running half back to kick it over the back.

Unfortunately it leaves us massively out of position should the ball be turned over.

It's just his game time. When he fades out of the game he is replaced by Johnson instead of, say Brodie. They are also managing Young by playing him forward and Serong is being tagged out of there. Fyfe can'i carry that load for a full game. Would be nice of Brodie took over from him when Fyfe goes forward or rests on the bench
Sadly, I’m starting to wonder if we will ever see Brodie in purple again.

Pretty sure he is too!

I don't think it can be understated how big an in Pearce will be, yet alone Darcy as well.
particularly seeing melbourne's ruck situation is either petty/jvr/macdonald, or an underdone gawn. darcy dominated against petty when he came in as the 2nd ruck in alice, would hope for similar on sunday

particularly seeing melbourne's ruck situation is either petty/jvr/macdonald, or an underdone gawn. darcy dominated against petty when he came in as the 2nd ruck in alice, would hope for similar on sunday
Can't do the "shark the taps" thing with our combo either. Good luck doing that with Jackson against those guys, he'll just annihilate them in clearances

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction Changes v Melbourne (Round 19)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back