Changes vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I see it there are three players who could, conceivably, be dropped - Wright, BoB and Rutten:
  • Wright was our worst player on Thursday night, by quite a margin, and was subbed out as a result. He wasn't great against Melbourne either and could be on thin ice after a string of relatively poor performances.
  • BoB was selected as sub this week. He did nothing wrong after being subbed into the game, but was clearly beginning to tire before the bye. Hopefully with a bye under his belt and the best part of a week off against Collingwood, he'll be sufficiently recovered to return to the starting 21. That said, we all know that the lime bib is frequently followed by a week in the SANFL.
  • Rutten destroyed his opponent, but looked oh so slow. Time waits for no man and Rutten is clearly getting towards the end of his career. Whether that slowness is caused by ongoing problems with his knee, or the inevitable aging process, I don't know. What I do know is that he could well be dropped this week if they don't think there's a suitable match up for him in Carlton's forward line.
That said, I think we'll go into the Carlton game unchanged. This has nothing to do with rewarding a team who played so very well, it has everything to do with the fact that there is nobody in the SANFL who would materially improve the team.

With Otten & Reilly apparently playing poorly in the SANFL (and I take any posts about Reilly with a grain of salt due to some seriously one-eyed agendas), that only leaves Grigg and Lyons as possible inclusions. Grigg has just been sent back to the SANFL after a couple of horrible games at AFL level - being subbed in very late didn't help him in the Footscray game, but he has no excuses for his poor showing against Melbourne. Grigg will need at least 2-3 high quality games in the SANFL before the selectors consider bringing him back into the AFL team. That leaves Lyons and I think we all know that that's just not going to happen. No matter what I, or anyone else here on BF think, Sando clearly doesn't rate Lyons and it's highly unlikely that he'll be selected next week as a result.

Even if Sando were to have an epiphany regarding Lyons, you have to ask whether selecting Lyons and dropping Wright improves the team. It's hard to argue that it does. On that basis, Wright holds his position (for now).

The only change I'm expecting to see is Matt Crouch starting in the 21, with Wright wearing the lime green bib.
It's hard to argue that it won't given Wright's recent form. I don't think you can simply rule out Lyons this week after all Sando made sub and subbed out the two guys he's supposedly competing with.

I'm a Laird fan too, and I don't think his game was particularly bad, he was just a bit quiet. The whole team played well, and Wright performed his role well without being flashy or exciting. No way was he our worst player by "quite a margin".....

Wasn't bad, just was off by a couple of % and it caused some uncharacteristic errors.

Too be honest, I dont think you can really say we had a worst player by 'some margin' on Thursday night, which is part of the reason why we played so well. Certain players had their moments, but no one stood out as particularly bad.

Sloane gets so much credit on here for cracking in harder than anyone in the side and his constant repeat effots. Wright is equal to Sloane in this category, dare I say possibly better. One is a superstar for it, the other is on the verge of being dropped. Im not saying Wright is = to Sloane, but don't think he should be anywhere near being dropped for his game on Thursday night.

I think Rutten and Laird were worse than Wright, but still not bad enough to warrant being dropped. Would love Lyons in the side, and I reckon someone will be unlucky to make way for him if that's what Sando and the coaches decide.

Too be honest, I dont think you can really say we had a worst player by 'some margin' on Thursday night, which is part of the reason why we played so well. Certain players had their moments, but no one stood out as particularly bad.

Sloane gets so much credit on here for cracking in harder than anyone in the side and his constant repeat effots. Wright is equal to Sloane in this category, dare I say possibly better. One is a superstar for it, the other is on the verge of being dropped. Im not saying Wright is = to Sloane, but don't think he should be anywhere near being dropped for his game on Thursday night.

I think Rutten and Laird were worse than Wright, but still not bad enough to warrant being dropped. Would love Lyons in the side, and I reckon someone will be unlucky to make way for him if that's what Sando and the coaches decide.
I think the fact that Matt Crouch was only subbed in late in the fourth was a testament to the fact that no one actually played badly.

I think the fact that Matt Crouch was only subbed in late in the fourth was a testament to the fact that no one actually played badly.

I saw it differently we had the momentum and were leading and Sando had the luxury of seeing what move Buckley made before reacting. Why change a winning situation? I think your point is correct though, structurally no change needed to be made and no player was struggling with form or fitness with 10 minutes left.

CC did well to play out the game, history suggests however first year players will struggle towards the arse end of the season.

Wow....

He really struggled tonight
four days and no likes for your post...

I know you hate being wrong, but you may want to at least concede that you're not always right

We will not win the flag this year.

We will not make the Grand Final this year.

We are unlikely to make the eight this year.

Unless it will significantly improve our team then look to the future.

Out - Rutten, Wright

In - Otten, Lyons.

What I expect is "no changes" but I'm sure Sando is looking for a chance to bring back Pets and Radar.

I agree with you in terms of what you are trying to say, but right now, we're only a game off the eight, i wouldn't say we are in the unlikely bracket just yet.

Especially if the collingwood game becomes the norm or close to.

IMO Wright is on shaky ground, doesn't seem to have any real weapons and is struggling to have an influence on games....

Now that we have Cameron and Betts playing the small forward role I would prefer to replace Wright with Grigg who has an elite leg
was one of our highest tacklers. His role has been effective and important imo

Can't see any changes after tonight except maybe Grigg or Lyons for Wright pending on SANFL performances.
wright has been good and seems t

Out - Rutten, Wright

In - Otten, Lyons.

What I expect is "no changes" but I'm sure Sando is looking for a chance to bring back Pets and Radar.
so Wright is not part of the future? I think some of you have no understanding of the role he is playing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree with you in terms of what you are trying to say, but right now, we're only a game off the eight, i wouldn't say we are in the unlikely bracket just yet.

Especially if the collingwood game becomes the norm or close to.

I hope I'm wrong but when you look at who is still to play who, we are not expected to make the eight.

Sportsbet has us equal 10th on the odds to make the eight. If we win the next 2 weeks (will the team that played Collingwood or the team that played Melbourne turn up on Sunday?) then we are in with a chance.

Even if we finish 7th or 8th, I believe we need to look at the big picture.

Yes Crowbots are Dead, I have been watching Wright quite closely. He has been OK this year but not really influential. If we were playing the Grand Final on Sunday I would pick Matty, but we're not and he is never going to be one of our top 10 players. Jarryd Lyon may not make the grade but if the difference between winning and losing on Sunday is playing Wright instead of Lyons then we are in more trouble than I thought. We need to give Lyons four games to prove himself and once Brad Crouch returns it will be even harder to find him a spot in the midfield. If Wright is as good as you think he will go back to the SANFL and dominate (just like Jarryd).

Out - Rutten, Wright

In - Otten, Lyons.

I think the Rutten/Hartigan swap for Otten is a good one, and for me, it's Rutten that goes* :(
We can't afford to be too sentimental at this stage. Just like with Johncock, perhaps the tough decision needs to be made with Truck (and that's coming from me, who has stuck up for Truck for the last 2 years to anyone who bagged him)...he hasn't been that bad, but there are just those times where he gets burnt when the ball goes to ground. He will only get worse in this regard in my opinion, and Hartigan looks a solid player with a bit more toe (despite a few shaky moments, he's only 10 or so games into his career).

That defence just looks too top heavy to me at the moment, with Talia Rutten and Kartigan
If we are playing Pods, Tex and JJ up front, we can't really afford to have 3 big defenders, rather we need a true '3rd tall'.
If things aren't going well up front, Otten provides versatility, as does Pods, who this year, has shown he can drift back as the 3rd tall. Rutten has no versatility.

*i can't believe i'm saying this

I think the Rutten/Hartigan swap for Otten is a good one, and for me, it's Rutten that goes* :(
We can't afford to be too sentimental at this stage. Just like with Johncock, perhaps the tough decision needs to be made with Truck (and that's coming from me, who has stuck up for Truck for the last 2 years to anyone who bagged him)...he hasn't been that bad, but there are just those times where he gets burnt when the ball goes to ground. He will only get worse in this regard in my opinion, and Hartigan looks a solid player with a bit more toe (despite a few shaky moments, he's only 10 or so games into his career).

That defence just looks too top heavy to me at the moment, with Talia Rutten and Kartigan
If we are playing Pods, Tex and JJ up front, we can't really afford to have 3 big defenders, rather we need a true '3rd tall'.
If things aren't going well up front, Otten provides versatility, as does Pods, who this year, has shown he can drift back as the 3rd tall. Rutten has no versatility.

*i can't believe i'm saying this

IMO the only reason we'd do this is because Rutten is not gonna be a part of our future. It's wouldn't be because he is playing poor or because we're too top heavy. We've had Talia & Rutten in defense for the last 3 years so it can't be that. So obviously some people think Hartigan makes us top heavy. Hartigan is quicker and more agile than Otten. I'm convinced.

Rutten Talia Otten is slower and more top heavy than...

Rutten Talia Hartigan.

I hope I'm wrong but when you look at who is still to play who, we are not expected to make the eight.

Sportsbet has us equal 10th on the odds to make the eight. If we win the next 2 weeks (will the team that played Collingwood or the team that played Melbourne turn up on Sunday?) then we are in with a chance.

Even if we finish 7th or 8th, I believe we need to look at the big picture.

Yes Crowbots are Dead, I have been watching Wright quite closely. He has been OK this year but not really influential. If we were playing the Grand Final on Sunday I would pick Matty, but we're not and he is never going to be one of our top 10 players. Jarryd Lyon may not make the grade but if the difference between winning and losing on Sunday is playing Wright instead of Lyons then we are in more trouble than I thought. We need to give Lyons four games to prove himself and once Brad Crouch returns it will be even harder to find him a spot in the midfield. If Wright is as good as you think he will go back to the SANFL and dominate (just like Jarryd).
I'm not saying that dropping Wright would be the difference between winning and loosing but it seems an odd move to drop a bloke that is one of our biggest defensive pressure players especially when the club has identified this as a weakness. I think you are overrating Lyons if you think he can replace this type of pressure.

Two indicators of defensive pressure are tackles and 1%ers. Matty had 5 tackles and zero 1%ers last Thursday night. On the measure of (tackles + 1%ers) there were 13 players with 6 or more and three players equal with Wright with 5.

I watched the replay again last night and it confirmed my impressions at the match, he did some good things in the first quarter but drifted out of the game.
I wouldn't go to war on the Lyons for Wright change. I do think that after 10 minutes of footy in 2 weeks that Bob should be ready to go. I would not drop Brown or Laird and unless we swap a tall for a small the only other possible candidates to create a spot for "Twin Peaks" are Wright or Martin. Whilst I prefer Wrighty, it would be foolish to drop Brodie Martin after finally giving him a full game and he was reasonably good IMHO.

No need to get upset Matty, I expect an unchanged line up.

Wright the sub and Otten in for truck or Hartigan unless they bring in another tall. Would like to see Otten trialled in lynch's role for 10 or so minutes a quarter with pods going back. Looked good up forward in the back half of last season and could help prepare for lynch's return.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back