Preview Changes vs Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Crouch must come in this week. Can't have another super talented youngster spending too much time in the sanfl and getting disgruntled. Win't happen but-

OUT: Van Berlo
IN: Crouch

The biggest problem with dropping anyone is that there's virtually nobody to bring back in. Wright, Crouch, Hendo.. after that the list is nothing but cloggers who are clearly worse than the players they'd be replacing.

Porps would be in the gun for sure. Petrenko probably should be as well, but will probably be saved by his last gasp heroics.

Graham vs Jacobs is a very tough decision to make.
Have you got a degree in ill-informed shit posts?

Riley has performed equally as well as Lyons and Kerridge before their call ups, the big difference is they've had a decent run to show what they can do without copping a poorly timed injury.

Brown was good after half time on Thomas but pretty sure he was on Thomas for the first 2 goals before Smith was put onto him for a bit. The one where Brown over ran Thomas near the goalsquare and turned him was pretty bad. Wouldn't be adverse to dropping Brown but we probably need him with Walters and Ballantyne. He'll turn into a fine player but he was a bit flustered with the ball today I thought.

Like Kerridge and Lyons??

We have list cloggers in our side in senior positions, how about giving guys like Martin a go to prove he isn't one??
Martin's had enough opportunities. I've made up my mind about him already. He's been on our list for 5 years now. Kerridge & Lyons in a completely different situation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Martin's had enough opportunities. I've made up my mind about him already. He's been on our list for 5 years now. Kerridge & Lyons in a completely different situation.
In his first two years he averaged 2 games a season for 17 and 22 possessions, he has then played 13 games over 3 years. Many as the sub and others being in and out. He's another who has copped untimely injuries and hasn't had a decent run.

Brown was good after half time on Thomas but pretty sure he was on Thomas for the first 2 goals before Smith was put onto him for a bit. The one where Brown over ran Thomas near the goalsquare and turned him was pretty bad. Wouldn't be adverse to dropping Brown but we probably need him with Walters and Ballantyne. He'll turn into a fine player but he was a bit flustered with the ball today I thought.

Nope Smith was definitely Thomas' opponent for the first quarter, right from the start. Had a bit of a shocker did Smith, hopefully will bounce back next week.

Unless they plan on giving him a full game I feel Porps may be dropped, can't green vest a guy 3 weeks in a row, he needs a decent run.

van Berlo was average, but he won't be dropped, I do worry though that we have a Captain that is clearly struggling for a role in the side and really cannot impact games in a positive way. With his engine he should be massacring guys across the park, wracking up 25+ possessions a game. He just seems like such a non-event at this stage.

Jacobs won't be dropped, but gee does he need to find a little Argo and fight in him, he's another of those "built like Tarzan, plays like Jane" types at the moment. I worry that every time I hear him talk about his poor form its a different reason. First it was the new ruck rules somehow affecting his ability to jump at centre bounces(only there are no new centre bounce rules...), then it was too much of a workload when Jenkins was second rucking, then it was that he was too worried about the team. In reality all he needs to do is start making an effort, he isn't quick or agile, but he has a massive frame so he needs to use it. He spends too much time trying to play like a Dean Cox, Leuenberger, Zach Smith type ruckman, when really he should be trying to play like Maric, Hudson, Goldstein or even Will Minson. He won't be dropped, Graham is nowhere near good enough to take his spot, even in his current form. I just hope were working hard to find an athletic young ruckman who might be able to put a bit of pressure on Jacobs.

Sauce looks really slow. Now I know that might not mean a lot because he's naturally slow anyway, but he finally gets into some good form and then bang, has another shocker. He had one handball today...1. Only 11 hitouts as well in 2 and a half quarters. That isn't even AFL standard. He needs an opportunity to hit back from that because he is our number 1 ruckman and one of our most important players. That tackle he missed on Goldy which led to a goal had me fuming at him. Totally unacceptable.

McKernan isn't a ruckman, lets get that straight. Well not a very good back-up one anyway...

Wouldn't drop Sauce as with most of Freo's rucks going down injured, he should return to form.

Play the same 22 & make Crouch, Hendo & Co really earn their way back into the team.

Sauce looks really slow. Now I know that might not mean a lot because he's naturally slow anyway, but he finally gets into some good form and then bang, has another shocker. He had one handball today...1. Only 11 hitouts as well in 2 and a half quarters. That isn't even AFL standard. He needs an opportunity to hit back from that because he is our number 1 ruckman and one of our most important players. That tackle he missed on Goldy which led to a goal had me fuming at him. Totally unacceptable.

McKernan isn't a ruckman, lets get that straight. Well not a very good back-up one anyway...
I thought McKernan was more than competitive in ruck today.

In his first two years he averaged 2 games a season for 17 and 22 possessions, he has then played 13 games over 3 years. Many as the sub and others being in and out. He's another who has copped untimely injuries and hasn't had a decent run.
Agree Martin has not done too much wrong when he has been given opportunities however he hid injuries have kept him from getting a decent run however he is one that has had to work twice as hard to get opportunity considering he continually rips it up in the SANFL. I would love for him to be given a go on the wing , not the back line nor the forward line apart from little stints now and then when they want to chop and change the team up abit.

The biggest problem with dropping anyone is that there's virtually nobody to bring back in. Wright, Crouch, Hendo.. after that the list is nothing but cloggers who are clearly worse than the players they'd be replacing.

Porps would be in the gun for sure. Petrenko probably should be as well, but will probably be saved by his last gasp heroics.

Graham vs Jacobs is a very tough decision to make.
Why is Wright anymore value than Riley, Martin, Johncock? Some guys deserve some faith. Martin once again in the best two for Sturt. Has all the attributes for AFL Vader, speed , ball carrier and good kick. Give hima a chance mate and I promise you he will deliver. I have seen alot of this guy and that's why I keep banging on about it. His only real game time Sunder Sando he played him at half back. he is not a defender as he has a forward running instinct however anywher fronm the wing up he will be great.

Unless they plan on giving him a full game I feel Porps may be dropped, can't green vest a guy 3 weeks in a row, he needs a decent run.
Tell that to Kane Mitchell!!

van Berlo was average, but he won't be dropped, I do worry though that we have a Captain that is clearly struggling for a role in the side and really cannot impact games in a positive way. With his engine he should be massacring guys across the park, wracking up 25+ possessions a game. He just seems like such a non-event at this stage.
Agreed and it's something that really annoys me about Van Berlo. This is a guy with a massive tank that can run all day, surely he could do a great tagging job and stop his opponent from getting a touch yet that never seems to happen, whether it be because he isn't annoying enough to get in his opponents head or what his exact orders are, he isn't a strong lockdown tagger.

So if he isn't doing that, you'd want to see him racking up 25+ touches as you mentioned like we saw him do when Bickley took over for the final 6 games of the Crows. However he hasn't been able to do this under Sando either, whether that be because Sando rates other guys higher than VB in the midfield or he just had a hot patch that he hasn't been able to repeat, I'm not sure.

Either way, for someone with elite endurance, I really feel as if Van Berlo doesn't have anywhere near the impact on a game you'd like to think someone could with that sort of tank and sort of why I'm hoping in the next couple of years he'll almost be pushed out of the side as he really doesn't add a whole lot.

Would love to see him do a Reilly of last year and really turn it around but I'm not all that confident in him at the moment.

Yeah that was Brown on Thomas, at least for that goal anyway.

Crouch must come in this week. Can't have another super talented youngster spending too much time in the sanfl and getting disgruntled. Win't happen but-

OUT: Van Berlo
IN: Crouch

Dont just put the kid in on reputation. He had a poor game on the weekend for West. VB is a front runner, normally plays ok when the teanm is killing it but when the oppositions midfield is elite often goes missing. A very fortunate footballer that has had a lot of faith shown in him over his career.

No change.

Crouch one more full game then in.
This what I see happening. But I also wouldn't be surprised if Crouch came in for Porps, it's the only genuine change I can think of. Porps is making a good impact as the sub though, so would be a tough call. Crouchy just got injured at the wrong time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes vs Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Back