Preview Changes vs Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Dont just put the kid in on reputation. He had a poor game on the weekend for West. VB is a front runner, normally plays ok when the teanm is killing it but when the oppositions midfield is elite often goes missing. A very fortunate footballer that has had a lot of faith shown in him over his career.

Did he really have a poor game or were Westies instructed to only play him about 60% game time?

VB will not be dropped. Those suggesting it, are smoking crack.

Pets won the game... but FFS, get a left foot Pets.

Jacobs sucked - but the alternative is Graham...

Crouch and Hendo needs to come in, but no-one deserves to be dropped.

No changes.
Nailed it. I don't think VB was that bad either, certainly lifted in that last quarter, which is what the captain should be doing. His game was fine, and his leadership is immense out there. Had a couple of basic skill errors, but who didn't? Danger had two in that last quarter which directly cost us dearly on the scoreboard.

VB cops way too much on here, not every player is a star.

Brown was good after half time on Thomas but pretty sure he was on Thomas for the first 2 goals before Smith was put onto him for a bit. The one where Brown over ran Thomas near the goalsquare and turned him was pretty bad. Wouldn't be adverse to dropping Brown but we probably need him with Walters and Ballantyne. He'll turn into a fine player but he was a bit flustered with the ball today I thought.
Walters will still be out injured, but good post.

Martin's had enough opportunities. I've made up my mind about him already. He's been on our list for 5 years now. Kerridge & Lyons in a completely different situation.
Vader , go back and have a good look. In the first few games he played 2 games which were excellent and his first was referred to many as the best debut game in Crows jumper- against the Saints. He then unfortunately was out for the next year with a knee injury, thus that was his first two years. On his return he had another setback with his knee which almost wiped out another year. Since then has played 13 games in which he has done little wrong however often came in of interchange bench and played really well in some games, but was always the one to make way for incoming player. He is not a full timedefender which I am the first to admit as he has too attacking a game but he needs to be shown some real faith- he has all the tricks, I have seen enough of him that why I keep screaming out for this. The young players in our team have put up no where near the performances that Brodie has in the SANFL week in week out but they have been shown the faith even though their games in many cases havnt been that appealing, unfortunately Brodie has never been given this luxury. He has been in the best two again in the last two weeks for Sturt. The kid has X factor and just need to told go out there and show us what youve got.

From their best 22 Fremantle may be missing:

Matthew Pavlich*
Stephen Hill*
Michael Walters
Jonathan Griffin
Adam Sandilands
Kepler Bradley
Anthony Morabito

Asterisks could return.

However if any team can battle on and win games without these key players, its Freo. I think we need to rest Otten or Reilly for a week, we're just too tall with Freo's forward line as it stands.
Talia on Pav, Rutten on the resting ruckman, Hendo/Smith/someone quick on Mayne.

Ballantyne needs to be watched as always, Crozier could be dangerous too.

If Jacobs can't produce at the bounces, we will get flogged at the clearances. I want to see more Smack in the middle.

Crouch should probably come in and be subbed off in the third. Porps to remain super sub.

Would be what I hope for.

Out: Tall in defense
In: Crouch

So VB is the captain, so he won't be dropped. Reilly will probably get another opportunity.

Crouch had a quiet week in the SANFL, so you'd expect him to have another game with Westies.

Porps did some nice things as the sub. If they thought he was behind Henderson, they would have made the change before this game.

Jacobs was putrid today, so it'd be gutsy to drop him for Graham. Considering Graham's form for Sturt, I'd find this unlikely.

I'd lean to no change again, for the 2nd week in a row.

Nailed it. I don't think VB was that bad either, certainly lifted in that last quarter, which is what the captain should be doing. His game was fine, and his leadership is immense out there. Had a couple of basic skill errors, but who didn't? Danger had two in that last quarter which directly cost us dearly on the scoreboard.

VB cops way too much on here, not every player is a star.

Watching him and Reilly "link up" is a privilege.

Why is Wright anymore value than Riley, Martin, Johncock? Some guys deserve some faith. Martin once again in the best two for Sturt. Has all the attributes for AFL Vader, speed , ball carrier and good kick. Give hima a chance mate and I promise you he will deliver. I have seen alot of this guy and that's why I keep banging on about it. His only real game time Sunder Sando he played him at half back. he is not a defender as he has a forward running instinct however anywher fronm the wing up he will be great.
Johncock is past it and should have retired last year. Riley & Martin are handy "depth" players, but they will never be "best 22" players. Wright is clearly head and shoulders above those three right now and is clearly AFL standard. Personally, I think Wright is suffering from confusion as to what his role is in the team right now. Get that sorted out and I expect that he'll return to playing the brand of footy we saw from him in 2012.

Your man love for Martin is duly noted. It's also getting very boring that you feel you have to write about it in every single post you make. To put it bluntly, Martin is not an AFL footballer, he's just a very good SANFL footballer.

It's a bit tricky at the selection table this week. Do you punish the boys for the first 3 qtrs or pat them on the back for the last quarter?
It goes deeper than that. The first half of our quarters were generally poor - but we came home strongly in the second half of the 2nd, 3rd and 4th quarters. We won the 2nd & 4th quarters outright and came close to winning the 3rd. It was only the 1st quarter where there were few redeeming highlights for Adelaide fans & players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is a bit of a selection squeeze at west lakes at the moment. With the new inclusions performing well, where does that leave these players:

johncock?
henderson?
shaw?
crouch?
wright?
jaensch?
callinan?

If only sloane, danger or thompson took over the captaincy last year, which means VB could be dropped. But atm he is undroppable because hes our captain.

How are we going to try and beat freo? We know how Ross lyon's sides play.

Of the players fighting for selection, which ones suit whatever the tactics we will be using ?

The game is going to be about Defence. They try and defend for two teams each time they go out on the park.

We beat them 3 times last year. By winning the contests. I don't think Henderson suits these types of games.Crouch does. Porps either gets a full a game or dropped ,he can't be sub again, his match fitness must be shocking.

How are we going to try and beat freo? We know how Ross lyon's sides play.

Of the players fighting for selection, which ones suit whatever the tactics we will be using ?

The game is going to be about Defence. They try and defend for two teams each time they go out on the park.

We beat them 3 times last year. By winning the contests. I don't think Henderson suits these types of games.Crouch does. Porps either gets a full a game or dropped ,he can't be sub again, his match fitness must be shocking.

We win by getting ahead early. Fremantle have gotten ahead of all their opponents early on in the match, and then they seem to find it hard to score and the match turns into whether or not fremantle can hold them off. (this is excluding gws, melbourne and gold coast obviously)

If only sloane, danger or thompson took over the captaincy last year, which means VB could be dropped. But atm he is undroppable because hes our captain.

I think calls to drop VB are bewildering. Do you know what role he is playing in the team? I'm pretty sure if he wasn't doing what the coach asked, we'd be hearing about it. He stood up in that last quarter.

I think calls to drop VB are bewildering. Do you know what role he is playing in the team? I'm pretty sure if he wasn't doing what the coach asked, we'd be hearing about it. He stood up in that last quarter.

All the good teams have inspiring captains. VB never does anything inspiring to lead the team.

The one outlier is Nick Maxwell, absolute spud of a captain. VB is better than him

All the good teams have inspiring captains. VB never does anything inspiring to lead the team.

So you know what he says in the breaks, and to each player?

On topic:

I think no changes.

Porps can be a super sub. NLM seems to have a lot of games as it in a row last year.

There is no mention of Callinan as a possible in, unless I missed him? what did he kick 3.2? I would like to see Martin given a string of games before making a decision on him. Jaensch and Martin in the same boat and appears Kerridge, Lyons, Brown, Laird all front of them. I feel both should play wing/HFF and were played out of position in defence. Now with Laird and Brown as natural defenders playing, if these positions open up for them, they must make the most of it.

I rate Laird ahead of Brown easily at this stage. Not sure about changes. Perhaps: In: Martin, Out: Brown. Shuffle the deck chairs slightly. Van Berlo needs to play as a tagger or half back not rotated as a half forward.

Out: Porps, Sauce
In: Crouch, Graham

Only want Crouch in so he can get amongst the vibe at the moment. get as many of these young guns in and playing together. Plus he looked good anyway before the injury. Porps needs a spell to. I've been backing him but if he's only valuable as a sub, then I'd rather give the gametime to some young guy. Needs to find his form and force his way back in, if he can.

Sauce needs to be sent a strong message. All we need out of Graham is competitiveness in the centre square. Our mids can take care of the rest. I'm all for giving Graham a run if it helps motivate Sauce. Amazing the performance he put in yesterday on the back of the St Kilda game. He was pumped up in the media and on here too last week...

So you know what he says in the breaks, and to each player?

On topic:

I think no changes.

Porps can be a super sub. NLM seems to have a lot of games as it in a row last year.
I mean by his actions on field. By all reports he's a wonderful captain in terms of communication. But personally I would rather one of our better players as captain, as he team rally's around them

I don't think VB was nearly as bad as some here are suggesting. Not his best game but not disgraceful either. Definitely nothing warranting a demotion.

The really poor players yesterday were Reilly and Jacobs. I doubt Reilly would be dropped on that game though, and we don't exactly have a natural replacement. He wouldn't want to be this far out of form when Shaw returns, though.

Jacobs is actually a possibility to go out, though I suspect the coaching panel will give him one last chance to avoid the humiliation of being replaced by Angus Graham, of all people.

I wouldn't be surprised if Crouch is asked to sit out another week, but I'd like to see him in personally. I'd swap him for Porps.

Could VB or Hendo play Reilly's role?

Hendo, maybe, not VB. Reilly takes those crucial, solid, contested marks often on the last line of defence. Sometimes you wonder how the hell the ball stuck in his hands. Hendo has the height, and is not a bad marker of the ball. Vb just isn't the right build I don't think.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes vs Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Back