List Mgmt. Changes vs Port

Remove this Banner Ad

As I said last season and this season: drop Sheed. So massively overdue.
Drop JK - though he does draw some of their best defenders. To be fair, Darling has been rubbish as well.

Blood as many young players as we can. Our seniors haven't proven their worth much (bar a few exceptions: Gaff, Shep, Shuey).

Firstly, Cameron is not coming in off the back of half of a ressies scratchie. Baffling how many had that change early in the thread. One of our issues is legs and Cameron is underdone.

Secondly, dropping Nelson was exactly the gutless mentality our MC represents when things are going against us. Completely tokenistic change that remedied nothing and made us even taller into a slippery night game. The defence was the best of a bad lot vs GC and it was the only area that made changes. WTF?

Out: JJK(rested), Rotham, Petrucelle or Ryan if he doesn't come up. If Shuey and/or TK aren't right - rest them.

In: Vardy - you are going up against the Slycer. It needs a man sized body to support Nic
Nelson/Cole - Rotham was OK but we need more run and a smaller look across the ground. Give these guys a bit of license to run from defence. We are stagnant and predictable moving out of defence.
Jones - Just tell the kid to get in there and tackle. He's a bit more nuggety than Petru and a more natural forward.

If Shuey or TK need a freshen up. Get Redden and Sheed inside more. I would like to see X'ON but he is still working back from an injury, we have a paucity of outside talent so, given it's Port with Ebert/Wines/Pepper types I think Brayshaw could be an option as I don't think his speed will be as exposed as against some others.

Under Notice: Bunga - Snap out of it man. Needs to get angry and throw his weight around. You are light years better than the last 2 weeks, fight! Lead like we know you can!
Brander - A stay of execution given the day game. A decent opportunity for him to show a bit. Needs to be a lot more assertive when the ball is up for grabs.
Yeo - quit being pissy and start being bully. If you see yourself as a legitimate Brownlow calibre midfielder it's time to get your hands dirty.

In general I just want to see more aggression at the contest. I want to see players blocking and shepherding so we can start to run the ball, at least some of the time. I want to see less timidness when we have the footy, take the game on instead of refusing to make a decision until you are forced to bomb it long.

C'mon Eagles! You are a better side than what you have shown - let's see some pride in the wings and a determination to stand shoulder to shoulder with your team mates for 4 quarters of footy.

Out: Rotham - 1 contested possession, 20% efficiency and a few mistakes.
In: Gov - No brainer if fit.

Out: Petch - Hasn't been doing his job of applying tackle pressure
In: Jermaine Jones/Cameron (if ready) - hopefully one of these boys can.

Hurn Barrass Schofield
Sheppard Gov Jetta
Gaff Yeo Brander
Ah Chee Darling Cripps
JJones Kennedy Ryan

Nic Shuey Kelly

Sheed, Redden, Allen, Duggan

Players on thin ice: JK, Redden, Sheed

“Simpson was almost sacked in 2017”. Despite being contracted until the end of 2019 at the time, having taken the club to a grand final two years prior and to finals in all but his first season.

Yeah, nah.

He was under pressure in the media with the whole "flat track bullies/can't play at the MCG" narratives being thrown around, but there has never been a suggestion he was under pressure from the board to keep his job.

Out: JK ( Rest) Brander ( Balance) Petch , Ah Chee
In: Waterman Williams Jones Xon

Not sure Gov will come up but Schoey played well and i think Rotham needs another go.

Hurn Schofield Shep
Duggan Barrass Jetta

Kelly Sheed Gaff

JJones Allen Waterman
Ryan Darling Cripps

Ruck: Nic Nat, Shuey, Yeo

Bench: Redden ( Tag/inside rotation) Williams Rotham Xon

On paper it does seem a bit tall adding in Waterman and Bailey but we got rid of one tall on the wing and JK.

JK has lost a yard of pace which is no suprise as it sadly happens to our guns late in life.

I think the midfield mix looks more settled with Brander out. Kelly to rotate into centre, Wing & HFF. Sheed to play purely as an inside mid and shovel the ball out to our mids in Kelly, & Shuey. Yeo to go head to head with Wines and just bully him. Redden to be an inside mid roation/tagger who could possibly tag Boak who has been their best mid. Also i want to bring in Xon and see if he can play some minutes on the HHF/Midfield. Not sure if he is ready but we really need to get some young mids into the mix and see if he can play.

Jermaine Jones replaces Petch as that tackling HHF/small forward.

O Allen reminds me of a young JK who was agile and able to roam around the ground while also offering forward pressure. Let the kid play his natural role and not as a pinch hitter.

Bring in Bailey to help Nic Nat ( who had a great game) because he is ready.

OUT - Priddis hack snap kicks around the body, Marsden.

IN - Gaff hack snap kicks around the body, Brander.

Yep. I saw an article saying why teams don't rate Gaff. I didn't read it but I'd guess those snap kicks around the body has a lot to do with it. Gaff may get plenty of it but under pressure and in close he doesn't hurt you enough to worry you.

The entire team needs to stop hack kicking over the shoulder and make the effort to hit a target by hand or foot.

Lads, cameron played half a ressies game on the weekend. He aint coming in.

Petch won't be dropped either. Though I think he should be, simmo never swings axes. He just playes players into form. There's too much invested in him being a fixture of the team in the future. Same with Brander.

I want Brander to stay in tbh. If we're losing, might as well give him some time to get a feel for the game and develop. Think our problems are a lot deeper than his presence.
i actually think he played better this week ,hes still getting used to the pace of the big league,took a few marks but his skill level needs work ,u gottta stick with him as hes not the only one struggling

Petch won't be dropped either. Though I think he should be, simmo never swings axes. He just playes players into form. There's too much invested in him being a fixture of the team in the future. Same with Brander.

A few players might disagree with that “Simmo never swings axes” comment. Like Brander who was dropped three times in his first three games. Nelson who was dropped last week. Hickey who was dropped the week before. Premiership players Cole, Vardy and Venables who were all dropped during 2019. Sheed who was dropped to the WAFL in 2018 before Gaff’s suspension. Redden who was dropped several times in his first two seasons...

A few players might disagree with that “Simmo never swings axes” comment. Like Brander who was dropped three times in his first three games. Nelson who was dropped last week. Hickey who was dropped the week before. Premiership players Cole, Vardy and Venables who were all dropped during 2019. Sheed who was dropped to the WAFL in 2018 before Gaff’s suspension. Redden who was dropped several times in his first two seasons...

Plenty of players have been dropped in his time. Along with the ones you have mentioned are : Masten, Jetta, Redden, Schofield, Cripps, Hutchings , Waterman, Allen ect.

looks to me as if our guys have lead in their boots also hilights our age and pace in the middle still,nic nat won the ruck but we got the ball taken off of us a lot i dont think we can afford to have Sheed and Redden
id go with sheed he can kick goals ,but above all attitude and attack on the ball ,is lackin, the forwards arent kicking goals but thats partly due to how theyre being delivered the the ball although i think Petch needs to start showing something .Schoeys comment in the media last week about getting back home asap might be a clue with their attitude

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Petch had his best game v port last year. maybe coz port just run and gun and can be caught out.

he's the only one with pace.

Petch on a wing.

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app
Im pretty sure we are talking about this year and that game from memory was early in season. Not much to crow about since then. Not doing enough as stated before runs very hard one way but not the other, agree hes not a natural footballer but he needs to get more of the ball and tackle more than has been THIS YEAR. You dont get games on form from one game 15 months ago do? Otherwise blokes would never get dropped

Yep. I saw an article saying why teams don't rate Gaff. I didn't read it but I'd guess those snap kicks around the body has a lot to do with it. Gaff may get plenty of it but under pressure and in close he doesn't hurt you enough to worry you.

The entire team needs to stop hack kicking over the shoulder and make the effort to hit a target by hand or foot.

I don't get it. If you hack kick it in Ammo's (a decent grade) you look like a total idiot, the ball will get turned straight over and you'll get roasted. Literally.

What do AFL midfielders like Gaff and Redden actually think will happen when they do it?

How they are allowed to get away with it from coaching staff playing at the highest level is beyond me.

They aren't always a bad idea. But if you're struggling with ball retention and want to keep the ball off your opponent it's just silly.

I can gauge your level of intelligence just by reading your posts champ.

Trust me, you haven't got any rockets in your backyard.

What a cutting comment. Did you ask your mum for that pearl of wisdom?

And why would have I rockets in my backyard? That would be dangerous and unlawful.

What's next? You are going to ask your inbred cousin for some advice?

He was under pressure in the media with the whole "flat track bullies/can't play at the MCG" narratives being thrown around, but there has never been a suggestion he was under pressure from the board to keep his job.

He was. I know and what none of you seem to understand is that I don't care whether he keeps his job or not. If he can coach us to another premiership great; if we are going to keep whingeing everyday about staying in a five-star resort on the Gold Coast for a month, playing terrible footy that ruins our chances of making finals, he can **** off.

I am not here saying anything that wasn't widely acknowledged within football circles throughout 2017. We all work in different industries. I work in an industry where that kind of information is heard regularly and when you follow up with people who sit on the Board of that club and they confirm it, then you don't need to second guess.

Contact Mark Duffield at The West and he will confirm it.

He was. I know and what none of you seem to understand is that I don't care whether he keeps his job or not. If he can coach us to another premiership great; if we are going to keep whingeing everyday about staying in a five-star resort on the Gold Coast for a month, playing terrible footy that ruins our chances of making finals, he can fu** off.

I am not here saying anything that wasn't widely acknowledged within football circles throughout 2017. We all work in different industries. I work in an industry where that kind of information is heard regularly and when you follow up with people who sit on the Board of that club and they confirm it, then you don't need to second guess.

Contact Mark Duffield at The West and he will confirm it.

The only person whingeing everyday is you.

Sheed only really established himself in late 2018 after he was dropped. Besides Redden, who I have never rated, the rest are borderline fringe players. I mean Vardy was out of form for almost every game he played in 2019 and it took ages for Simpson to drop him. Brander was in and out as a first and second year player, Venables never really did much and was gifted a lot of games; Hickey is a no.1 ruckman so playing him second fiddle to Nic Nat doesn't make a lot of sense, Cole had a very good 2018 but for some reason, like Vardy, went off the boil in 2019.

Simmo needs to change his ways

By Damian Barrett

West Coast coach Adam Simpson is justified in publicly bemoaning his club's plight. Being stuck in a hub on the Gold Coast in order to allow the 2020 AFL season be restarted is far from ideal.
But it's a terrible look for a coach. And it's not surprising his team has lost the two matches it has played while in that hub, to Gold Coast in round two and to Brisbane on Saturday night.
Simpson should be making noises privately and not publicly. Another West Coast official – CEO Trevor Nisbett or footy department boss Craig Vozzo – should have been doing the on-record and on-camera media rounds relating to the valid unfairness of the Eagles' plight.
Simpson is as footy-smart as they come, and it was a surprise to seem him complain so publicly. But as of Monday, he needs to change his ways and inject some energy into his group, and refrain from the woe-is-us attitude.
Games are scheduled in south-east Queensland against Port Adelaide and Richmond in the next two weeks. Losses in both would be catastrophic, given there is a likelihood that at least one more game, and possibly two, will need to be played by the Eagles in Queensland before they get to return to WA.

So, you like the way the side is playing at the moment and the constant complaining by the coach? You must work in the public service.

How'd you know?

The boys obviously aren't handling the hub very well, but Simmo isn't whingeing, just advocating for his players and his club.

Normally he doesn't do that, but ordinarily we don't have 40 players and staff away from their family for an unspecified amount of time.

On the other hand, you're just a whinger all the time.

Sheed only really established himself in late 2018 after he was dropped. Besides Redden, who I have never rated, the rest are borderline fringe players. I mean Vardy was out of form for almost every game he played in 2019 and it took ages for Simpson to drop him. Brander was in and out as a first and second year player, Venables never really did much and was gifted a lot of games; Hickey is a no.1 ruckman so playing him second fiddle to Nic Nat doesn't make a lot of sense, Cole had a very good 2018 but for some reason, like Vardy, went off the boil in 2019.
Great argument. How do you think it applies to Petch‘s position in the side? Which is the point the original poster was making.

I don't get it. If you hack kick it in Ammo's (a decent grade) you look like a total idiot, the ball will get turned straight over and you'll get roasted. Literally.

What do AFL midfielders like Gaff and Redden actually think will happen when they do it?

How they are allowed to get away with it from coaching staff playing at the highest level is beyond me.

They aren't always a bad idea. But if you're struggling with ball retention and want to keep the ball off your opponent it's just silly.

I remember a few of our hack kicks that fortunately fell into our arms in the 2018 GF. They could easily have been our undoing, and 80% of the time, they are.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Changes vs Port

Remove this Banner Ad

Back