Toast Collingwood - the fastest rebuild ever

Remove this Banner Ad

Most ridiculous throwaway line used that I can think of.

Could have said the same for Geelong after their ageing list missed finals in 2015. Yet here we are. Again.

"Dead cat bounce" is a vacuous comment.
Just because you don't agree, doesn't mean that it is vacuous. Geelong have bucked the trend but the uptick before the extended downturn has been shown to occur occasionally in the AFL (2018 Hawks). Saying a team has rebuilt after 1 year is a much more vacuous comment based on what a rebuild is in the AFL.

Dead Cat Bounce. Wait till the old heads retire & they lose some of the close ones. See Hawks 2018.
This, Pies have not rebuilt a thing. They're overall scope if being masked by the fact they've won five games against bottom 8 teams by barely a kick over the past six or seven weeks. If they lose half of those they're barely scraping in for finals and sturggling.

Still very dependent on Sidebottom, Pendles, Adams, Mihochek, Elliot, Howe etc who are all far too old to be part of a rebuild.

Nick Daicos is an absolute jet, but this is not the squad for a sustained tilt.

This, Pies have not rebuilt a thing. They're overall scope if being masked by the fact they've won five games against bottom 8 teams by barely a kick over the past six or seven weeks. If they lose half of those they're barely scraping in for finals and sturggling.

Still very dependent on Sidebottom, Pendles, Adams, Mihochek, Elliot, Howe etc who are all far too old to be part of a rebuild.

Nick Daicos is an absolute jet, but this is not the squad for a sustained tilt.

28 is far too old ?

28 is far too old ?
For a rebuild.. absolutely. You'd want to be focussing on a core that is younger than 26 to allow you to draft players over the next two or three years and allow them to develop into contributors in a finals winning team.

You have no young key position players. So let's say you acquire one and draft some this year. You then need to wait two or three years until they start to become competitive. At that point in time your 28 year old is 31 or older and on the decline.

Anyone north of Darcy Moore is too old, unfortunately for you that includes a bunch of your highest profile players like Crisp, Grundy etc.

For a rebuild.. absolutely. You'd want to be focussing on a core that is younger than 26 to allow you to draft players over the next two or three years and allow them to develop into contributors in a finals winning team.

You have no young key position players. So let's say you acquire one and draft some this year. You then need to wait two or three years until they start to become competitive. At that point in time your 28 year old is 31 or older and on the decline.

Anyone north of Darcy Moore is too old, unfortunately for you that includes a bunch of your highest profile players like Crisp, Grundy etc.

I dont think you understand list management at all.

Docherty & Saad should be delisted for you guys this year. Too far north of 26

So you would replace Pendlebury, Sidebottom currently because we have no chance of tilting at the flag within 3 years?

I dont think you understand list management at all.

Docherty & Saad should be delisted for you guys this year. Too far north of 26

So you would replace Pendlebury, Sidebottom currently because we have no chance of tilting at the flag within 3 years?
We started our rebuild like six years ago when they were younger than 26. In fact i even had a thread on the Carlton board tracking it. I know exaclty what i'm talking about.

I wouldn't bin them no, but this is not a complete rebuild. This is the dead cat bounce at the start of a rebuild. Then you'll go through the period where your really bad as your old players are old and your young are too young. And then you will start to build.

Alternatively you could continue trying to top up and win now but your side isn't good enough to compete in the next two to three years so i think that would be foolish.

We started our rebuild like six years ago when they were younger than 26. In fact i even had a thread on the Carlton board tracking it. I know exaclty what i'm talking about.

I wouldn't bin them no, but this is not a complete rebuild. This is the dead cat bounce at the start of a rebuild. Then you'll go through the period where your really bad as your old players are old and your young are too young. And then you will start to build.

Alternatively you could continue trying to top up and win now but your side isn't good enough to compete in the next two to three years so i think that would be foolish.

You clearly know what you are talking about. Defintely spot on

You started your rebound 6 years ago?

Maybe the 3rd go, but you started nearly 2 decades ago.

Grand finalists in 2018, Almost grand finalists in 2019, semi finalists in 2020, 17th in 2021 and now finalists in 2022.
Apparently playing Nick Daicos, Ginnivan and Henry constitutes a rebuild.
BigFooty’s idea of a rebuild isn’t winning, it’s playing youf and finishing 16th

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not to take anything away from the Pies who are on an incredible run atm but this thread feels like it has massive backfire potential.

Underperformed last year, overperforming this year and will probably be somewhere in the middle next year.

I think this is closer to the truth.

Not sure they’re that young. Really not sure they’ve got that many quality kids other than Moore and Daicos’s. Maybe Quaynor.

They've won 8 games(?) in a row by less than 2 goals? Split them instead, they'd be 9-9 and 11th, which would probably be more where you'd expect them to be. See how they do next year first to see if it's an aberration or not.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Collingwood - the fastest rebuild ever

Remove this Banner Ad

Back