List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
Man I would be pissed if Freo get McVee considering how many big names they will have to pay over the coming years.

I feel like Tassie will have as bad of player retention as GC if not worse. Could possibly see player that left other clubs to join them leave a few seasons later.

While neither of them were good, they were by no means orphans.

71 points to 15 points, generated from turn overs hurt us and those turnovers were all over the ground and one in fact from our Captain.

As others have rightly stated our skills are not up to it and that goes back to who we draft.

IMO recent history 3 - 6 drafts back we prioritised athletic middle distance / long distance runners, at the expense of those in the draft pool that had good footskills.

In short, our recruiters ( and all Club's to this ) did the crystal ball 🔮 thing and tried to predict which way the game was trending.

We got it wrong as the game style we peaked with a Premiership in 2018, has been quickly picked apart and countered with fast, courageous ball movement, and that to be effective, needs players with good to elite footskills.

We simple have to many on our list that burn their teammates and the newer game style, by being ball butchers.

Confounding our current problems, are ingrained game day traits, that prevent seasoned players from quickly moving the ball on.

Tommy Barrass Is a prime example of:

1. Marking stopping and propping- look left, look right, look backwards and then after having wound 10 seconds off the clock, kicks sideways. ( Did it heaps yesterday )

2. When he does kick his kicks are generally high floaters, that land on our players heads.
An absolute joy for opposition players/defender to kill the ball in air and destroy the contest.
And a double whammy with Barrass is that he often kicks off one step or a half scuffle, doing this stops you from kicking through the ball, which in turn deprives you of both distance with the range of the kick and simultaneously impacts the accuracy of the kick.
This frustrates the * out of me and how this was never ironed out of his game as a junior, simple astounds me.

So here is one of our more experienced players TB, not being adaptive to quick movement AND he also has average to poor foot skills.

If we want to get better …….. we need better users of the ball.
There was a clip of Alastair Clarkson giving some kicking tips to a NM player at training. I don’t remember the specifics of what he said, but he mentioned it was the same as making a change to your golf swing. Would feel
strange at first but you’d get used to it. I found it interesting that a senior coach (the most senior coach in league?) still giving out kicking tips.

How’s Jaxon Prior going briztoon

Out of contract end of year.

Only 23 years old and stuck behind a few at Brisbane
Should be in the side with our two main halfbacks out injured.

Fans rate him higher that the coaches apparently.

For what ever reason, Fagan would prefer to move Berry to halfback, than bring in one of our reserve halfbacks, which is p!ssing a lot of us off.

Last edited:
How’s Jaxon Prior going briztoon

Out of contract end of year.

Only 23 years old and stuck behind a few at Brisbane

Been pretty good in the odd Lions VFL game I watch, but don’t think he’ll ever be much at AFL level personally. Not worth bothering with imo

Moraes showed some signs of rust like many on the day and will be better for the run, but overall he played a solid game that helped to spur his Eastern team to victory. One of the more interesting developments was his impact when played in the forward line where he presented well on the lead and kicked a couple of goals.

The AFL website just updated its list of free agents.

Some unrestricted boys that I wouldn’t mind having a crack at include: Ollie florent, Jack graham, and Harry perryman. Will Hayward as a restricted free agent as well.

While these are all highly unlikely, with our recently acquired connections to Sydney and Richmond, maybe we could front load a few contracts to bring in some senior bodies in that mid age bracket to help the rebuild along.

Some unrestricted boys that I wouldn’t mind having a crack at include: Ollie florent, Jack graham, and Harry perryman. Will Hayward as a restricted free agent as well.

While these are all highly unlikely, with our recently acquired connections to Sydney and Richmond, maybe we could front load a few contracts to bring in some senior bodies in that mid age bracket to help the rebuild along.
Perryman Would be a great get. The GWS boys speak very highly of him.

There was a clip of Alastair Clarkson giving some kicking tips to a NM player at training. I don’t remember the specifics of what he said, but he mentioned it was the same as making a change to your golf swing. Would feel
strange at first but you’d get used to it. I found it interesting that a senior coach (the most senior coach in league?) still giving out kicking tips.

I’ve heard similar things about Sam Mitchell

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Priority should be a winger to take Gaff’s role.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We have randomly snagged players before like Hunt, Redden & Witho in recent times. With Matt Clarke now in the seat maybe he will be more proactive in getting some of the kind of players listed.

There are a heap of players on that list that would make us better. I get it is a balancing act (needing to play a certain amount of youth) but any player 29 or younger who would improve our squad (so most of the list) we should ask the question.

Reality is at best we get 3 FAs in, but that is like winning lotto and 2 is also unlikely. So cast the net wide, we have a lot of dead wood around and can afford to cut some 50/50 players to bring in AFL quality players (plus we have heaps of cap space).

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rowbottom Could only happen if McDonald and Gulden sign on and Sydney pay big money to keep them.

Which is pretty likely, don’t see Gulden leaving, McDonald I think will sign another short term extension with them. They’ll want to plan for Warner’s huge contract as well.

I’d happily overpay for Rowbottom and front end his deal, he’d be a perfect piece.

While neither of them were good, they were by no means orphans.

71 points to 15 points, generated from turn overs hurt us and those turnovers were all over the ground and one in fact from our Captain.

As others have rightly stated our skills are not up to it and that goes back to who we draft.

IMO recent history 3 - 6 drafts back we prioritised athletic middle distance / long distance runners, at the expense of those in the draft pool that had good footskills.

In short, our recruiters ( and all Club's to this ) did the crystal ball 🔮 thing and tried to predict which way the game was trending.

We got it wrong as the game style we peaked with a Premiership in 2018, has been quickly picked apart and countered with fast, courageous ball movement, and that to be effective, needs players with good to elite footskills.

We simple have to many on our list that burn their teammates and the newer game style, by being ball butchers.

Confounding our current problems, are ingrained game day traits, that prevent seasoned players from quickly moving the ball on.

Tommy Barrass Is a prime example of:

1. Marking stopping and propping- look left, look right, look backwards and then after having wound 10 seconds off the clock, kicks sideways. ( Did it heaps yesterday )

2. When he does kick his kicks are generally high floaters, that land on our players heads.
An absolute joy for opposition players/defender to kill the ball in air and destroy the contest.
And a double whammy with Barrass is that he often kicks off one step or a half scuffle, doing this stops you from kicking through the ball, which in turn deprives you of both distance with the range of the kick and simultaneously impacts the accuracy of the kick.
This frustrates the * out of me and how this was never ironed out of his game as a junior, simple astounds me.

So here is one of our more experienced players TB, not being adaptive to quick movement AND he also has average to poor foot skills.

If we want to get better …….. we need better users of the ball.
I agree with what you're saying, but it wasn't really that our gameplan was picked apart, rather that the AFL changed the rules (eg stand and 666) which rendered it obsolete over 12 months).

The thing with skills is they automatically get better once everyone is on the same page and knows where the other players will be. I hope the coaches persist with the current style for now because we were often only the last disposal away from breaking the lines. I remember Collingwood having similar issues in the first half of 2022 (which is partly why we beat them), only for it to click and lead to a prelim.

I agree with what you're saying, but it wasn't really that our gameplan was picked apart, rather that the AFL changed the rules (eg stand and 666) which rendered it obsolete over 12 months).

The thing with skills is they automatically get better once everyone is on the same page and knows where the other players will be. I hope the coaches persist with the current style for now because we were often only the last disposal away from breaking the lines. I remember Collingwood having similar issues in the first half of 2022 (which is partly why we beat them), only for it to click and lead to a prelim.

You’re right on the 666 and more significantly the stand rule. The game was already shifting but the rule changes accelerated it. So sides already moving that way got an advantage whilst sides hanging on to kick-mark got left in the dust

Our availability issues compounded the problem since we weren’t able to train game plan changes as a full group

That availability challenge has also contributed to the disposal errors as the playing group hasn’t been consistently playing together enough to build the onfield chemistry (or dare I say synergy)

The giants took half a season to get going last year and now they’re as well drilled as anyone

Unless they are AAA graders no one above 23 please

I’m happy to bring in older players who are best 22 and come cheaply (FA or late draft picks) on a moderate salary

Hunt and Flynn are recent examples of this

Unless they are AAA graders no one above 23 please
This is poor advice and will lead to a long extended tough rebuild. We have already attacked the rebuild with close to half the list now considered very young.

A more balanced approach to Trading, drafting and FA is now the way to move forward.

We can see from the start of the year how tough it is having several youngsters in the side at once. If our approach was to replace each delisted or retired player with a draftee it’s going to be years of misery.

I’m not saying we still don’t go to the draft, just certainly not to the extent we have of late. The better quality trades and FA we bring in balanced with quantity selections in the draft will turn things around quicker than just bringing in under 23’s.

A tough start to the season for the early pick 1 favourite. Finn suffered a thumb fracture in the first quarter, but battled on to have a positive impact for the Chargers. Even though he was understandably quieter than normal, he still showed some of the elite traits that have recruiters salivating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back