List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
He has only done it for 1 season.

No one is giving a top 3 pick for a guy who would only need say 5 year 4 mill deal to entice over...

The math doesnt work out

Top 3 pick is getting FA compo band 1 in 2025 if he does it for 2 seasons.

Still feel he would get more than you are suggeting. If not he can stay if he is willing to sign up on a reasonabke contract.

It would be band 1 compo for a huge contract. Also just saw this on fox sports with some interesting musings that would appear to align with an increase valuation of Waterman:

They are saying to trade pick 2 for Allen AND Waterman not just 1 of them...

Top 3 pick is getting FA compo band 1 in 2025 if he does it for 2 seasons.

Still feel he would get more than you are suggeting. If not he can stay if he is willing to sign up on a reasonabke contract.
Ah that makes alot more sense

Im happy to do some dancing/get that kind of move done ala Ben McKay in that situation.

Seeing lot's of suggestions to trade some of our more valuable players to bring in youth.. i understand the sentiment based of where we are and how we're playing, but how much of it can be put on the coach and how much on the playing list? Do we have to follow the route North, Collingwood and Hawthorn went down or do we stick to our guns trying to acquire top end talent from the draft, free agents and taking opportunities to trade for key players like Baker this year and Warner potentially next year. Our approach has always been to rebuild aggressively and win similar to Geelong and Sydney and i think this mentality is part of the clubs DNA.

Personally i think the coach and the board is largely to blame for the rut we're in i would like to see them be the first to go before we start trading out star players for draft capital which will only prolong our rebuild and maybe leave us in the wilderness for 10+ years if it goes wrong.

Geelong and Collingwood are two good recent examples of teams who rebuilt aggressively and won premierships due to having great coaches, having great cultures and having a good mix of senior talent, role players and young talent.

I think tough calls certainly need to be made but we shouldn't be throwing the baby out with the bath water.

On a final note i'm all for getting Baker as long as he doesn't cost more than an early 2nd rounder. We need a player that resembles old school West Coast Eagles DNA such as Banfield and Beau Waters and i think Baker fits that mould perfectly.

I fear we still have people at the club who thinks with a fit list we could play finals, hopefully its clear to them that is not the case and it's time to rip the bandaid off and start again, as it stands we'll be 10 years away from finals but by being ruthless we could cut that by half.

No new deal for Barrass and if the option presents let him leave and bring in a good kid and draft pick, where there's smoke...
Ryan can also go, a top 25 pick would be a win.
I'd love for a club to offer a bucket load of cash to Duggan to trigger band 1.
We ideally need 5 top 30 picks in this years draft
Be aggressive towards free agents who can improve our team and right age profile.
I am not against Waterman leaving and right now is his absolute best value.

People don’t want to hear it but cashing in on TB and letting one of Oscar or Waterman go for a huge haul might be the only way for us to generate quality picks.

It would be band 1 compo for a huge contract. Also just saw this on fox sports with some interesting musings that would appear to align with an increase valuation of Waterman:

"Throw a hail mary offer at either Oscar or Waterman would be perfect for North?":oops::oops::oops:

Interested GIF by reactionseditor

Dont see our captain moving.

But Waterman?

Stuff it. Just created a Waterman thread on the main board. Let's see what the masses think he is worth.

Last edited:
No they aren’t, they are saying they are both targets it’s a deal for one or the other not both
If they are suggesting Waterman has similar value as Oscar Allen id print that article out, wipe my ass with it so it could get some functional use in this world

Just not logical

As nice as it sounds, there is no way I want to be put in the same level as the Tin Rattlers.
Big No for priority picks frome

If you’re worried about our pride, I think it’s long gone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the deeper issue at the moment is our development model coupled with gameplan.

Trading out our best players for a handful of picks will achieve nothing until both other issues are fixed first.

I actually think we have a decent core to start, and this may become evident with a fresh voice:

Key Fwds to build around in Oscar and Snake (who still have 5-7 good years left), as well as decent youngsters in Jilliams, Maric and A.Reid.

Young smalls in Brockman and Long that can be mentored by Ryan and Cripps.

A young midfield trio of Ginbey, Hewett and Reid that can be shielded by Yeo and TK the next few years.

TB, Duggo and Hough down back as a starting point.

The big holes I see are outside midfielders, key defenders and good ball users off HB. I think they should be our first priorities this draft and agree with a few that Maric and A.Reid should be looked at in Defence as well.

Allen 194, Darling 191( rerires end 2025), Maric, 196 J Williams 198, Archer Reid 200, Livingston 200 and a resting ruck. Bryan 206, B Williams 199 or Harry Barnett 203.

Thats nine talls.

How many more do you need?

Plus Hutchings 190 who is the same height as Darling. Plus Culley 194 now listed as a key forward on the Eagles site.

Are you saying there are no options to develop?
No I'm saying trading the best performed forward in the competition this year for a late first and a nobody ruck is a terrible deal.

Allen hasn't shown that he can stay on the park, Darling isn't even best 22 anymore and none of the others have proven anything yet, if a contracted Waterman wants out and we want to cash in then the deal has to at least be heavily in our favour considering he's one of the few shining lights this season and would probably be winless without him.

Ryan late first rounder 18?
Waterman mid/late first rounder 14
And I would be surprised if there is a contracted player requesting a trade.

Ryan is replaceable. Champion might be that player. Dewar. Johnstone.

Waterman replaceable. Allen and Jack Williams locked in for 25. Get archer reid to a level he can step in occasionally. BW as back up.

Darling can be payed out or traded....gonsky. I recom there is a couple of teams who would use him differently to the way we do, and would add value to there forward lines. Pies, Saints, north. Early third rounder maybe

Apply for couple end of first round PP to trade.

Draft
2, 14,18, 23

PP for Baker and Carrol.
Pay a mill front ended for Cummings, and 600 for another 4yrs.

We have make tough decisions.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
I can't see any club giving a first round pick for Ryan. Looking past his best.

No team will trade in Darling at his age.

Need to hold onto Waterman.

Last edited:
With McCarthy likely done, he who cannot be named possibly moving and maybe Charlie looking for a pay rise elsewhere looks like you will need them. Zorko almost done as well. Thats four players who rotate through half forward and Lions cant wait 2 or 3 years for a 18 year old to deliver. Ashcroft II playing in a grandfinal at 18 or 19?
Cameron just extended last week, signed through to 2027.

Levi Ashcroft will come in and most likely start as a high half forward.

We drafted the top medium forward from the CTL at the mid season draft. Already looks very good in our VFL team.

Not to mention we also drafted a WA small forward at the mid season draft as well.

And we have a Kosi Pickett like small forward in our academy for next year.

If they are suggesting Waterman has similar value as Oscar Allen id print that article out, wipe my ass with it so it could get some functional use in this world

Just not logical
Margot Robbie told me that your posts like above is the reason she is still staying at my place💋

I think the deeper issue at the moment is our development model coupled with gameplan.

Trading out our best players for a handful of picks will achieve nothing until both other issues are fixed first.

I actually think we have a decent core to start, and this may become evident with a fresh voice:

Key Fwds to build around in Oscar and Snake (who still have 5-7 good years left), as well as decent youngsters in Jilliams, Maric and A.Reid.

Young smalls in Brockman and Long that can be mentored by Ryan and Cripps.

A young midfield trio of Ginbey, Hewett and Reid that can be shielded by Yeo and TK the next few years.

TB, Duggo and Hough down back as a starting point.

The big holes I see are outside midfielders, key defenders and good ball users off HB. I think they should be our first priorities this draft and agree with a few that Maric and A.Reid should be looked at in Defence as well.

Our development side has been utterly atrocious. Besides Waterman making a leap at the ripe young age of 26 who the hell else has grown their game and improved since the premiership? No one. Oscar Allen?

Our development side has been utterly atrocious. Besides Waterman making a leap at the ripe young age of 26 who the hell else has grown their game and improved since the premiership? No one. Oscar Allen?
Clay Hall after a full pre season has upped his possession total from his pre draft days a whole 0.6 possessions per game as a result of the world class training systems we use at the Eagles.

Hough too, but yeah outside of that pretty much every young player progressively gets worse or stagnates. It’s a huge worry. Our WAFL does not seem like a good place to develop kids and our development and coaching staff must be pretty subpar at it as well.

I'd take pick three for Waterman

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back