List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 56 18.8%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 83 27.9%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.4%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 35 11.7%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.4%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.4%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Draft prospect video highlights by noobermensch

Hope the Garcia interest/article is genuine.

He is cetainly the preference, for me, of the three WA mids we are linked with. I think he would be a great addition.

His 8.8 player rating would have him sitting 13th on our list, with only two players younger than him sitting higher (Reid & Ginbey). Whilst the PR doesnt jump out at you, that is whilst he is playing in unprefered positions behind the likes of Bont, Libba, Treloar etc.

He is out of contract and should he request a trade, surely we can pip Port to his signature.

View attachment 2050919
Sub games can kill stats for players.

Agreed Garcia would be the preference

Hope the Garcia interest/article is genuine.

He is cetainly the preference, for me, of the three WA mids we are linked with. I think he would be a great addition.

His 8.8 player rating would have him sitting 13th on our list, with only two players younger than him sitting higher (Reid & Ginbey). Whilst the PR doesnt jump out at you, that is whilst he is playing in unprefered positions behind the likes of Bont, Libba, Treloar etc.

He is out of contract and should he request a trade, surely we can pip Port to his signature.

View attachment 2050919

Sorry mate, Garcia isn’t going anywhere.

Conway for cats having navicular surgery. Cats desperate for a ruck come trade period.

BW for Lawson Humphries

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
I reckon big Bailey will be in a lot of trouble if Flynn can stay fit. i know simmo was big on Baz but he has zero forward craft and best of times rucks like a pinch hitter. We know have two key forwards over 200cm that look promising and can pinch hit in the ruck and both will look to push into the 22 next year.

I reckon big Bailey will be in a lot of trouble if Flynn can stay fit. i know simmo was big on Baz but he has zero forward craft and best of times rucks like a pinch hitter. We know have two key forwards over 200cm that look promising and can pinch hit in the ruck and both will look to push into the 22 next year.

There was definiitely a decision looming on Williams place in the side before Thicc Boi Flynn's injury.

Big fella going down really gave Williams a bit of a reprieve, and whilst Baileys output is much better when he rucks on his own compared to being a potato forward, it's still a bit of a net negative for the team overall.

We're ranked
  • 18th in the AFL for hitouts.
  • 16th for clearances

Baileys hitout to win rate is 32.3% for the year
Flynn's hitout to win rate is 45.7% for the year.

Really highlights how off the ruck pace Williams is when Flynn, who has been shit and looks unfit AF and short of a gallop, still wins more hitouts than he does.

There was definiitely a decision looming on Williams place in the side before Thicc Boi Flynn's injury.

Big fella going down really gave Williams a bit of a reprieve, and whilst Baileys output is much better when he rucks on his own compared to being a potato forward, it's still a bit of a net negative for the team overall.

We're ranked
  • 16th for clearances

Really highlights how off the ruck pace Williams is when Flynn, who has been shit and looks unfit AF and short of a gallop, still wins more hitouts than he does.

An overweight and crippled Nic Nat would be better than both :(

Much rather trade barrass and/ or BWilliams. Our tall stocks are decent,JWilliams can step into the ruck forward role permanently
Yep we’ve got a shed load of tall forwards both now and developing. I think BWill might be the one that needs to go - to balance the list a bit - although I don’t think we could expect too much in return.

Thanks for all your hard work over the last couple of seasons Bailey and good luck for the future.

I really hope we don't trade away our F1 pick, likely to be a top 2 pick and if there's a couple of stand outs would be worth a lot more then
Much rather trade barrass and/ or BWilliams. Our tall stocks are decent,JWilliams can step into the ruck forward role permanently

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Why does everyone assume we will finish bottom two next year? We’re not bottom two now and should get some natural improvement from some of our young kids. Yeah, North might improve more, but other teams will go backwards.

Why does everyone assume we will finish bottom two next year? We’re not bottom two now and should get some natural improvement from some of our young kids. Yeah, North might improve more, but other teams will go backwards.
Rofl. That's the funniest thing I ever heard.

Norf are about to leap frog us next year 100 percent. Richmond and us will be duking it out for bottom. Even then perhaps with a healthy list next year and not trading player they will overtake us (Richmond)

Other teams will need to have all their mids injured in order to get to our low level.

Norf are about to leap frog us next year 100 percent. Richmond and us will be duking it out for bottom. Even then perhaps with a healthy list next year and not trading player they will overtake us (Richmond)

Other teams will need to have all their mids injured in order to get to our low level.
You’re making the same assumption most people make, that next year will be basically the same as this year. But that’s not how it works, some teams fall dramatically. No one picked last year’s premiers potentially missing the finals this year.

As for North, we’ve been waiting for them to get better because of all their draft picks for half a decade. And they still don’t having a functioning spine.

You’re making the same assumption most people make, that next year will be basically the same as this year. But that’s not how it works, some teams fall dramatically. No one picked last year’s premiers potentially missing the finals this year.

As for North, we’ve been waiting for them to get better because of all their draft picks for half a decade. And they still don’t having a functioning spine.

It's gonna be alright, Toby Pink just triggered a 2 year extension. They will be fine...

I don't know.

You wanting to recruit Dev Robertson and make him captain and then trade out OA will take some beating.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep we’ve got a shed load of tall forwards both now and developing. I think BWill might be the one that needs to go - to balance the list a bit - although I don’t think we could expect too much in return.

Thanks for all your hard work over the last couple of seasons Bailey and good luck for the future.

I wouldn’t be too hasty to move Bailey Williams on just yet

Flynn has played 4 games in the AFL for us and 1 game for the Beagles. He won’t play this weekend so even if he plays every game after that for the rest of the year, he’ll have played 11 games at either level. Durability is questionable

Without Williams, our ruck depth would be the other Williams who’s more forward than ruck, Barnett who is only marginally competent at WAFL level and an exceedingly raw Coen Livingstone. Maybe throw Jamieson in there as an option but his ruck work was so good we’ve turned him into a KPD

At a minimum, Williams would give us a durable backup for Flynn as well as keeping him honest for a spot in the team

I’d like Williams to spend the offseason looking at tapes of Tom DeKoning and watch what he’s doing for Carlton. Williams is a similar height and weight and a year younger They both came through the Dandenong Stingrays system so fair chance he knows him and could even reach out for advice.

As good as DeKoning’s been this year it wasn’t obvious that he had that level of improvement in him. It would be massive if Williams could make a similar leap in output

Good news
Twomey reports Port & West Coast have shown interest in Riley Garcia

Not as good
West Coast not named as one of the clubs going after Isaac Cumming. Adel, Port, Freo, Melb have shown strong interest. I get that we're not a destination club atm & it may be hard to lure a good free agent, but we've got a cheque book so HAVE A flipping CRACK. It shouldn't need to be said - we need to find ways to build the list without compromising our draft hand. What happened to being more aggressive in building our list!?!?

Can't agree with you. I watched Humphries play in the PSA, WAFL and state 16's over the last few years. At every level he had the best disposal efficiency by either hand or foot of any player on the ground. The modern game is based upon retaining possession. I think the knock on Humphries was probably his fitness but if you get a kid with his elite skills in a full-time training environment anything can happen. Geelong's recruiters saw that - Eagles recruiters didn't
North supporter comes on here to give us a lesson in drafting. Right

How's Will Phillips working out for you?

An overweight and crippled Nic Nat would be better than both :(

Michael Richards Yes GIF

We're ranked
  • 16th for clearances

Rucks (and hit outs) just don't matter that much. Perhaps our mids could actually get to work.

teams that have won the hit-out count in 2024 have only a 49 per cent win rate, suggesting it’s a largely irrelevant stat for the outcome of a match.

Rucks (and hit outs) just don't matter that much. Perhaps our mids could actually get to work.

teams that have won the hit-out count in 2024 have only a 49 per cent win rate, suggesting it’s a largely irrelevant stat for the outcome of a match.

Michael Richards Yes GIF

Which makes it difficult to split our pick 3 in the hope we gain access to our targeted players. We may see trevaglia going around pick 9-13 and spit to gain the extra pick around that mark but then someone takes him at 5.

Ideally we need to keep pick 3 and find a way to get another top 10 pick in.

If the saints get band one compo for battle that's pick 5. Would they part with 5 for Waterman and 23? Or would they part with 5 for barrass?

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
I don't think our recruiting team would split with only 2 targets in mind, yeah they'd have a preference list but wouldn't be set on two players. My point is more there are heaps of players in the top 15 that are really even, suit our needs and if we missed out on one player we really liked there is 3 or 4 other great options.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

Back