List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
Why does everyone assume we will finish bottom two next year? We’re not bottom two now and should get some natural improvement from some of our young kids. Yeah, North might improve more, but other teams will go backwards.
I guess I'm just looking at the list and seeing that generally our better performers are still our older guys like gov ,barrass and yeo.
They'll be older and more injury prone most likely, sure there'll be improvement from our youngsters but in reality we don't have that many young guys that you can see us building a team around
If we trade barrass out for draft picks we get younger and while I think that'd be the best course of action it definitely won't improve us next season. If Bailey williams gets traded out that's us possibly being slightly less competitive in the ruck.maybe
We don't seem to be attracting the free agents that we'd hoped for so there may not be any plug and play options coming in(that could change obviously)
Hewett will hopefully come back but that's still.a big unknown, long will come back but while I really like him he's not going to make a huge difference
I just can't see us climbing the ladder next season. Maybe I'm wrong

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I reckon theres something to say about giving the players a chance to grow up physically and mentally in the semi pro environment first. But oh well they won’t be doing that

I've always been a fan of a U21 (or something) comp. Drafted at 18 like now, play U21 for a couple of years, get a degree or a TAFE diploma or whatever as insurance if they don't make it, then onto the AFL.

Counterargument has always been players like Reid ready to impact at 18 etc. But I'm still a fan of the idea.

You’re making the same assumption most people make, that next year will be basically the same as this year. But that’s not how it works, some teams fall dramatically. No one picked last year’s premiers potentially missing the finals this year.

As for North, we’ve been waiting for them to get better because of all their draft picks for half a decade. And they still don’t having a functioning spine.

Don't we?

Larkey and Comben go alright, with Xerri in the ruck.

Looks a lot better than it did 8 months ago.

Xerri and Comben's emergence have changed things dramatically in that regard.

Draft watchers … thoughts on Harvey Langford?

Haven’t seen his name mentioned much, but Twomey has him as the fourth-best which is pretty much where we’re picking at this stage (after Ashcroft goes as a F/S).
Personally I've heard he's slow, and he doesn't look overly quick when playing. But I believe he compensates with awareness and smarts, I don't think I've ever seen him play a bad game.

His kicking is the best in the draft pool for mine, and he has real penetration in it. Knows where to run to get the footy and then really hurts you by foot, I liken him to Sam Mitchell. Would have huge metres gained every match.

If we split our first both these guys could come into calculations

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

They are both close mates.

A point of note, they are not "Country" kids.

They are from Bayside Melbourne right on the border of of the Dragons and Stingrays zone. All Stingray players are designated as VIC Country for talent spread purposes, despite being more suburban Metro than other Coates League Sides. The equivalent to being in Watermans Bay or something and being classified as Country.

I'm sure it will form part of the assessment for your recruiters.

I reckon big Bailey will be in a lot of trouble if Flynn can stay fit. i know simmo was big on Baz but he has zero forward craft and best of times rucks like a pinch hitter. We know have two key forwards over 200cm that look promising and can pinch hit in the ruck and both will look to push into the 22 next year.
I'd put a line through Barnett and Flynn. Barnett would be playing wafl reserves if we had a side and Flynn will be 28 next year and played a measly 30ish games. The ability to play consistent football is a skill set that Flynn doesn't have, its unfortunate because he does have very good Ruck nous. Hopefully Livingstone can be a diamond in the rough but unless we target a mature age ruckmen this off-season bbw is our number 1 and not going anywhere.

The clearance differential in last week's game was more of a blight on our midfield structure than bbw.

Personally I've heard he's slow, and he doesn't look overly quick when playing. But I believe he compensates with awareness and smarts, I don't think I've ever seen him play a bad game.

His kicking is the best in the draft pool for mine, and he has real penetration in it. Knows where to run to get the footy and then really hurts you by foot, I liken him to Sam Mitchell. Would have huge metres gained every match.
He's the one I like the most of of all the vids I've watched too. (Not live I know)
Beautiful looking, racking kick. Poetry in slow motion.

Rucks (and hit outs) just don't matter that much. Perhaps our mids could actually get to work.

teams that have won the hit-out count in 2024 have only a 49 per cent win rate, suggesting it’s a largely irrelevant stat for the outcome of a match.

Yeah stats are one thing, I put more weight on what I see with my own eyes, from prime position at the game :)

Bailey was terrible against Brisbane. Multiple times at CBDs he let Big Mac take the ball out the front door for an inside 50 entry, unforgivable.

He needs a spell, lucky for him Flynn is injured.

60 odd games into his career, its a worry, he lacks aggression and football smarts. If I was list manager, I'd be seeing if he had any trade value, before there isn't any.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah stats are one thing, I put more weight on what I see with my own eyes, from prime position at the game :)

Bailey was terrible against Brisbane. Multiple times at CBDs he let Big Mac take the ball out the front door for an inside 50 entry, unforgivable.

60 odd games into his career, its a worry, he lacks aggression and football smarts. If I was list manager, I'd be seeing if he had any trade value, before there isn't any.
If there’s any legs to the Freo pick swap deal, add Knobel who is 4th in line and get BBW on the market, probably as part of a bigger deal.

He's the one I like the most of of all the vids I've watched too. (Not live I know)
Beautiful looking, racking kick. Poetry in slow motion.
From last year loved the kid from the moment I saw him. Only knock on him could be his speed at the National combine. Sorry Briz to drop you in this one but couldn’t resist 🤣
west_coast.png

CountryLad

Club Legend​

What if I told you the top mids are all small’ish and play for Oakleigh, plus Levi Ashcroft father son to Brisbane.
Without even thinking to much can name Harvey Langford, Cooper Hynes both at Dandenong. Josh Smillie 194cm at Eastern Rangers and there are others

Good news
Twomey reports Port & West Coast have shown interest in Riley Garcia

Not as good
West Coast not named as one of the clubs going after Isaac Cumming. Adel, Port, Freo, Melb have shown strong interest. I get that we're not a destination club atm & it may be hard to lure a good free agent, but we've got a cheque book so HAVE A flipping CRACK. It shouldn't need to be said - we need to find ways to build the list without compromising our draft hand. What happened to being more aggressive in building our list!?!?

Just because it’s not in an article doesn’t mean we aren’t having a crack at him…

I was there too (like every game)

He was actually pretty good around the ground and took some big marks. Agree he was pretty bad in the centre square and a couple of McInerneys clearances were very costly at bad times.

He's better when he plays more defensively and tries to nullify the oppo ruck imo (eg the Melb game vs Gawn)

None of that takes away from the fact that hitouts just aren't that important

Further to what I said on Malakai Champion being a slow burn but possessing immense level of talent.
I absolutely love the fact he's training with us already, will fast track the slow burn somewhat as he'll get months ahead of understanding what is required from dieting and nutrition, weights, way we play etc etc.

Love it if he could play for the WAFL eagles this year, but guessing as he's at Subi he wouldn't be able to.

I don't think our recruiting team would split with only 2 targets in mind, yeah they'd have a preference list but wouldn't be set on two players. My point is more there are heaps of players in the top 15 that are really even, suit our needs and if we missed out on one player we really liked there is 3 or 4 other great options.

Case in point was last year when we were sniffing around at picks in the 6-10 range well prior to the draft.

At the time it was assumed to be 100% Curtin focused but came out afterwards we also had interest in Caddy if Curtin was gone. (Noting that we likely would not have taken A Reid had Caddy joined us - probably for the better considering we keep our 2024 1st and it being a certain top 3 and likely top 2 selection, plus Archer starting to show form in what are very early days for a 200cm KPF).

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I reckon theres something to say about giving the players a chance to grow up physically and mentally in the semi pro environment first. But oh well they won’t be doing that
How long do you persist with a player? You can only keep them in the NGA for so long, and the rookie list is limited spots

Ralphy again saying Baker wants us, but it’ll come down to whether we split our first.

We better not split a top 3 pick on the premise of getting Liam Baker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back