List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
Playing off a half back flank in a side conceding more inside 50's than any other club I would have expected him to have more possessions. The odd Duggo in your side is fine, trouble is, we have a team full of them.

I think if we had a team full of them we would win the CP pretty regularly.

Say what you want that is negative about him (I mostly disagree but it’s your opinion so go for it) but he is absolutely our toughest player. Not sure I have ever seen him shirk a contest.

Something a fair few of our others could actually do with learning tbh.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Burgiel has done another hamstring, he’ll probably not even play an AFL game for us before he’s delisted or is traded.

Yet another 2nd round pick that’s a dud.

People focus on the TK trade but the reality is we’re god awful at drafting for the most part, especially in the last 5 or so years.

Barnett looks like an awful pick as well, yes I’m aware rucks take time but he has been a complete flop even in the WAFL.

WC draft history since 2018, just so many misses the margins and with second round picks. This doesn’t even include missing out on guys like Nic Martin or the O’Neill pick split when Rowbottom and Hill were available.

2018 -
28: O’Neill - delisted
31: Foley - delisted
35: B.Williams - shocking
39: Cameron - not on list

2019 -
49: Jamieson - shocking
58 - Johnson - delisted

2020 -
52: L.Edwards - shocking, delisted
57: Winder - delisted

2021 -
14: Chesser - lol
31: Hough -
37: Bazzo -
57: J.Williams -
62: Clark - delisted

2022 -
9: Ginbey - solid
14: Hewett - if can get fit
23: Barnett - it’s not looking good
29: Burgiel - it’s not looking good
58: Long -

2023 -
1: Reid -
30: Reid - looks good
38: Hall -
49: Johnston -

WC draft history since 2018, just so many misses the margins and with second round picks. This doesn’t even include missing out on guys like Nic Martin or the O’Neill pick split when Rowbottom and Hill were available.

2018 -

2019 -
58 - Johnson - delisted

2020 -

2021 -

2022 -

2023 -
Barnett and Burgiel were both taken around the point they were rated so its not like WCE pulled them out of no where. Barnett was the highest rated ruck in the 2022 draft. Also Chesser was rated as a late first to mid second rounder.

2018, 2019 and 2020 were basically write off's with rubbish picks. Cameron was actually good but decided AFL wasn't for him.

Barnett and Burgiel were both taken around the point they were rated so its not like WCE pulled them out of no where. Barnett was the highest rated ruck in the 2022 draft. Also Chesser was rated as a late first to mid second rounder.

2018, 2019 and 2020 were basically write off's with rubbish picks. Cameron was actually good but decided AFL wasn't for him.

How is 2018 a write off? We had I think pick 22 and instead of drafting Rowbottom or Hill, we split and took two of the worst players I’ve seen ever play for us in O’Neill and Foley.

2019 and 2020 we didn’t have much to work with, sure

Barnett - I understood drafting the best ruck available, but I personally hated the pick

Burgiel - I didn’t mind the pick, but it was a reach

Chesser was never a good pick, literally every WC fan could see that yet our recruiters couldn’t. That was always a reach.

Jeez where to start with even more inconsistency.
Lmao
Yeo was a very good half back in the past, it was his run and drive along with being big enough to be a pseudo 3rd tall that worked for him.
I dont know where you assume I want him to be a pure defender.
Dumb comment
If it prolongs Yeos career by allowing him to do stints in the backline(maybe even play there full time), it also covers for the likes of JJ/Witho being delisted with an experienced player.
It’s not an assumption mate, you posted it. Grow a pair and own it. Embarrassing.

I suspect that the reason your comments lack any integrity is because you post so often you completely lose track of the moronic dribble you post.
We want Reid and Hewett to both be 60%+ CBA guys in 3 years time. Like Rozee and Butters, or add JHF to that as 3 attacking guys who all get 60% + cbas and can sit forward.
Yeo isnt a defensive mid.
Great young mids at Port. Might want to check your maths though. Reid and Hewett in 3 years time equals 2 attacking guys. Add Warner equals 3.

Another example is Sydney, by far the best side in the comp. Warner, Heeney and Gulden. Rowbottom defends for them and Drew does for Port.

That is a winning balance. Reid, Hewett and Warner attacking with Ginbey defensive.
Have you ever watched what Collingwood do with Daicos? Do they just load up on attacking mids with him?
No.
You mention Daicos as a singular attacking mid, I suggest you don’t watch Collingwood if you fail to mention De Goey.

Do you think they wouldn’t happily add a prime Petracca/Dusty/Danger to that mix if they could afford them? Of course they would! Any side would because they are match winners. You are delusional if you think otherwise.
They have Pendlebury and Crisp as defensive mids blocking so Daicos can do what he wants.
Setterfield can play a similar role to Pendlebury or Crisp.
Warner is a star, you don't overload the midfield with A1 mids. You need a mix.

Your whole reply is bleh
Pendelbury has less defensive mid pedigree than Yeo FYI.

You say you don’t want Warner for balance, but then when I prove how dumb that is you pivot to saying he will cost too much.

The reason teams don’t have multiple elite attacking mids isn’t because they don’t want them, it’s because they are bloody hard to get. There’s 18 teams and maybe a handful of genuine game breakers. You do the math… actually don’t. We’ve established that isn’t your strong suit… although neither is literacy at this point.

Your ‘balance’ argument is one of the dumbest things I’ve read on this forum, which is saying something.

Wait… I almost missed it!

Did you just compare Will Setterfield to Scott Pendelbury?? Hahahahahahaha

That truly sums up your football knowledge.

Either you are trolling or this is the point that I need to stop replying to you because your comments are too stupid for you to be saved 😂

I think if we had a team full of them we would win the CP pretty regularly.

Say what you want that is negative about him (I mostly disagree but it’s your opinion so go for it) but he is absolutely our toughest player. Not sure I have ever seen him shirk a contest.

Something a fair few of our others could actually do with learning tbh.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
As I said, I like his commitment to the contest ( made him Captain for a reason ) don't dislike him, the opposite in fact. Just putting my perspective on why we are such a poor side. It is not Duggan's fault, it is what it is. A lot of our middle tier age group have not progressed. I don't know why, development ? coaching ? management ? Just frustrated like everyone else I guess.

2018 -

2019 -
58 - Johnson - delisted

2020 -

2021 -

2022 -

2023 -
I'd really like to see how our picks between these periods compares to all other clubs.

Our 3/4 with top 20 picks look good (I also wouldn't write chess off just yet) - probably more an indication that the margin of error increases the deeper into the draft you go.

Lot of negativity going on here at the moment so here’s my hopeful moves we make this offseason. I’ll try to be somewhat conservative with it.

Sign English, was against it at the start of the year but Flynn can’t even stay on the park and we aren’t offering as much money now so that’s good.

Would like us to sign cumming but probs won’t happen.

Trade barass for English compo or the pick they get for smith, whichever’s higher plus a 2nd rounder. Would ideally want more for him but let’s just say it’s that.

Trade B. Williams for a 3rd rounder or even for free lol

Trade our 2nd rounder and the 2nd rounder from the barass trade for a top 15 pick.

I really like Draper but he probably won’t get past the crows and I think we’re better off splitting our pick 3 and hoping he slides.

If we do that we have should have 4 picks in the top 15 (prior to bids and all that). Then my ideal players to get would be Draper, travaglia, Lindsay and berry. Reckon they’d bring a lot of pace and excitement into the team and just overall a lot better energy than we’ve seen this season.

I’m not a list manager though so wtf would I know.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It’s not an assumption mate, you posted it. Grow a pair and own it. Embarrassing.
As an attacking defender like he was in the past? Do you go around calling guys like Whitfield a pure defender? Most people dont
I suspect that the reason your comments lack any integrity is because you post so often you completely lose track of the moronic dribble you post.
LOL
Great young mids at Port. Might want to check your maths though. Reid and Hewett in 3 years time equals 2 attacking guys. Add Warner equals 3.
Warner will cost 2 first rounders. We currently have Kelly, Yeo, Reid and adding Hewett next year is 4 attacking mids for the next 2-3 years.
Who else do we have that can play in there ahead of any of those guys?
If we recruit one random mature mid theyll be our 5th, or maybe its Ginbey.

We need to balance out our midfield as a priority with whoever we pick.

If you cant see that then you havent been watching our games.

Our stoppage work is abysmal because we have no ruckman, and we arent defensive enough.
Another example is Sydney, by far the best side in the comp. Warner, Heeney and Gulden. Rowbottom defends for them and Drew does for Port.
Heeney is more of an all rounder. Gulden plays more off the wing, hes not a full timer in the guts.

Port have Wines and Drew as the slower more balanced/defensive guys these days
That is a winning balance. Reid, Hewett and Warner attacking with Ginbey defensive.

You mention Daicos as a singular attacking mid, I suggest you don’t watch Collingwood if you fail to mention De Goey.
DeGoey has been injured all year and has done nothing. Im talking about this year since Daicos went full time midfielder.
Do you think they wouldn’t happily add a prime Petracca/Dusty/Danger to that mix if they could afford them? Of course they would! Any side would because they are match winners. You are delusional if you think otherwise.
Of course we would add an elite mid to the mix if it came to us.

Not when they cost 2 years worth of first rounders and we are in the middle of a rebuild though.
Not in the later parts of their careers
You say you don’t want Warner for balance, but then when I prove how dumb that is you pivot to saying he will cost too much.
LOL if we were 3 years in the future and Yeo + Kelly were gone, and we had some other more balanced mids floating around then YES id be all for Warner.
You have no concept of nuance

Right now this year Warner is NOT the right guy to chase. We need way too many other pieces
The reason teams don’t have multiple elite attacking mids isn’t because they don’t want them, it’s because they are bloody hard to get. There’s 18 teams and maybe a handful of genuine game breakers. You do the math… actually don’t. We’ve established that isn’t your strong suit… although neither is literacy at this point.
We drafted 2 of them in the last 2 years!! Reid is a guarantee and Hewett is still likely
Your ‘balance’ argument is one of the dumbest things I’ve read on this forum, which is saying something.
LOL

Are you slow?
They can play a similar role.

Either you are trolling or this is the point that I need to stop replying to you because your comments are too stupid for you to be saved 😂
LOL

Burgiel has done another hamstring, he’ll probably not even play an AFL game for us before he’s delisted or is traded.

People focus on the TK trade but the reality is we’re god awful at drafting for the most part, especially in the last 5 or so years.

Barnett looks like an awful pick as well, yes I’m aware rucks take time but he has been a complete flop even in the WAFL.
2022 draft looking gross atm considering we had pick 2 and 4 picks inside top 30

Ginbey is a pass but looks to be moving to the HBF because he struggles to impact in the midfield

Hewett had a pre existing foot condition he refused to disclose and misses the whole season

Barnett struggling to impact even wafl . Cat B Coen Livingstone looks a better prospect

Bergiel constant hammies

Long looks the best of the lot but has missed a massive chunk of his 2nd season

Culley looks like a delist unfortunately just not athletic enough

The head scratcher of chesser and ROB thinking he is too clever picking a guy who has NFI how to find the footy

Bazzo can't get on the park either

Hough and Jwill go alright 👍

2022 draft looking gross atm considering we had pick 2 and 4 picks inside top 30

Ginbey is a pass but looks to be moving to the HBF because he struggles to impact in the midfield

Hewett had a pre existing foot condition he refused to disclose and misses the whole season

Barnett struggling to impact even wafl . Cat B Coen Livingstone looks a better prospect

Bergiel constant hammies

Long looks the best of the lot but has missed a massive chunk of his 2nd season

Culley looks like a delist unfortunately just not athletic enough

The head scratcher of chesser and ROB thinking he is too clever picking a guy who has NFI how to find the footy

Bazzo can't get on the park either

Hough and Jwill go alright 👍
out of our last 3 drafts i like what we have got from the following excluding msd: hough, bazzo, jack williams i love him, ginbey(he is a gun i dont see the hate), hewett, long, and reid others havnet played enough or are bad

Not here to say we havent been pretty bad, but agree this would be an interesting read for all clubs Alot easier in hindsight

Hell Sydney in the year they picked Warner at 39 picked Dylan Stephens, Will Gould and Eiljah Taylor before him.

Its my biggest bugbear for those who claim the Kelly trade is the main reason for the state of our list now. In the hypothetical world where we dont trade for Kelly, suddenly the very same recruiters wouldve nailed every pick we gave away?

Chesser over Johnson and the pick split in 2018 instead of Hill were the real head scratching obvious misses imo. (and not just taking Kelly the year before but lets not go there)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not here to say we havent been pretty bad, but agree this would be an interesting read for all clubs Alot easier in hindsight

Hell Sydney in the year they picked Warner at 39 picked Dylan Stephens, Will Gould and Eiljah Taylor before him.

Its my biggest bugbear for those who claim the Kelly trade is the main reason for the state of our list now. In the hypothetical world where we dont trade for Kelly, suddenly the very same recruiters wouldve nailed every pick we gave away?

Chesser over Johnson and the pick split in 2018 instead of Hill were the real head scratching obvious misses imo. (and not just taking Kelly the year before but lets not go there)
Brander !

2018 -

2019 -
58 - Johnson - delisted

2020 -

2021 -

2022 -

2023 -
Feels this has been mentioned throughout the last few years and how bad the list has got. Think this issue stems back even before that to 2014. Duggan the only decent player from that year. Nelson played 100 games and as much as ai love him he was lucky to play that much. Cole starting to get a lot of flack recently and rightly so but he is only a slight upgrade on Nelson really. Jake before he came out of the clouds really was tracking in a similar career path to a cole as well. 2017 had a lot picks but lucky to nail Allen/Ryan.

Forgetting the recent drafts but Duggan/Waterman/Allen/Ryan/cole is just not good enough in the space of 10 years. As stars go Allens the real only one and Waterman close to joining that if he can maintain his form.

Have to confess I was in the no column to English earlier in the year but I’m in danger of flip flopping to yes. Mainly due to the following

• Flynn hasn’t yet proven to be what we hoped for. He’s had two injuries that have kept him out of the side for 13 of our 18 games so has done nothing to dispel durability concerns. And in the games he did play he looked slow and cumbersome, perhaps due to a lack of match fitness to be fair. Only his first year at the club so things might change but there’s no guarantee
• Williams has been forced to carry the ruck load again and despite his willingness to compete he’s consistently outsized and outmatched. As a No. 1 ruck he’s at the bottom of the rankings. Further, the hope was he’d be the backup to Flynn playing more forward but in the small sample of games in that role he was underwhelming
• The emergence of Jack Williams as a viable forward/ruck option
• The salary cost of English appears to have lowered as has the likelihood that the Bulldogs would match any FA offer provided they’d get Band 1 compensation which would be a top 10 pick if they miss finals

We definitely need additional talent by any and all means available. Being able to add an AA ruckman for no draft capital cost seems like too good an opportunity to pass up. At a minimum it gets us to a competitive level in a position we’ve struggled with the last 3 years once Nicnat broke for good

Flynn can be the first choice backup whilst Jack Williams can play as forward/ruck support for English. Barnett can continue to develop in the WAFL sharing the ruck with Flynn or we can explore other options for him as either a KPF or KPD

This gives us the option of trading Williams if there’s any interested buyers. I wouldn’t hold high expectations for what we might get but durable talls have good market value so a 3rd round pick is possible

I’m not trying to isolate you with the following as it’s more a general comment but this paragraph was a good launching point

We didn’t have pick 2 AND 4 picks inside top 30. We had pick 2 and 2 more picks in the top 30 which became 4 inside 30 only after we split pick 2. It’s being a bit pedantic I know, but it is accurate

Barnett and Burgiel are on exposed evidence looking like busts. At best they’re both slow burns that we’re going to have to be patient with. That said, I had another look at that draft and I’d challenge you (or anyone else) to find a name that has shown enough to say we really missed out.

Noah Long is arguably the best although some could rightly point to Lachie Cowan (puck 30) who’s done ok at Carlton

Now more generally, and this definitely isn’t aimed at you, there comes a time where this board needs to stop looking back and crying over past draft mistakes, real or perceived.

They’re done and can’t be changed no matter how hard we might wish it to be true

The challenge now is to pick through what we do have, and sort the wheat from the chaff. And hope that whilst past errors can’t be changed, new ones are avoided

Time to focus on the road ahead

I agree, no club is perfect but the amount of misses on the margins we’ve had is just insane. We haven’t used our resources well at all, which is a must when you’re in this phase.

Have to confess I was in the no column to English earlier in the year but I’m in danger of flip flopping to yes. Mainly due to the following

• Flynn hasn’t yet proven to be what we hoped for. He’s had two injuries that have kept him out of the side for 13 of our 18 games so has done nothing to dispel durability concerns. And in the games he did play he looked slow and cumbersome, perhaps due to a lack of match fitness to be fair. Only his first year at the club so things might change but there’s no guarantee
• Williams has been forced to carry the ruck load again and despite his willingness to compete he’s consistently outsized and outmatched. As a No. 1 ruck he’s at the bottom of the rankings. Further, the hope was he’d be the backup to Flynn playing more forward but in the small sample of games in that role he was underwhelming
• The emergence of Jack Williams as a viable forward/ruck option
• The salary cost of English appears to have lowered as has the likelihood that the Bulldogs would match any FA offer provided they’d get Band 1 compensation which would be a top 10 pick if they miss finals

We definitely need additional talent by any and all means available. Being able to add an AA ruckman for no draft capital cost seems like too good an opportunity to pass up. At a minimum it gets us to a competitive level in a position we’ve struggled with the last 3 years once Nicnat broke for good

Flynn can be the first choice backup whilst Jack Williams can play as forward/ruck support for English. Barnett can continue to develop in the WAFL sharing the ruck with Flynn or we can explore other options for him as either a KPF or KPD

This gives us the option of trading Williams if there’s any interested buyers. I wouldn’t hold high expectations for what we might get but durable talls have good market value so a 3rd round pick is possible
Unfortunately, to date, it's been a Flynn flop. Which is unfortunate. I was bullish about him.
Wasn't interested in English, but have flip flopped on that.
No draft capital, easy decision if he wants to come over.

I haven’t given up on Flynn. Extremely rare injury then a rolled ankle and obviously underdone in between.

If the club is dead set on English (I’d certainly prefer this to Baker) then make an agreement for them to trade the compo pick back and give them Barrass and Petch for pick 11ish, 30 and Garcia. BWilliams I’d happily trade to Melbourne for pick 38, who could use fwd/ruck because Petty is shit.

Those picks will probably get us Travaglia or Lindsay then Noah Mraz or Harry O’Farrell as well as one of Harrison Oliver, Zac Johnson or Hamish Davis to go with Garcia.

Sesame Street Popcorn GIF by Muppet Wiki

Playing off a half back flank in a side conceding more inside 50's than any other club I would have expected him to have more possessions. The odd Duggo in your side is fine, trouble is, we have a team full of them.
Please watch foxtel AA meeting where Nathan Buckley and a couple of others mentioned him for AA squad
Love to hear your feedback after watching that ?

Trading BWill (or as ‘steak knives’ in another deal) will also help balance our forward heavy list. Ridiculous having OA, JWx2, Maric, Hutch, Culley(?) with AReid in the background. (And assuming JD is now a Beagles player.)

More generally, it is time for us to start getting rid of the numerous 60+ game players who have never been much better than mediocre - instead of arguing madly about the merits of players with SFA games.

Well they might have been taken around where they were rated but someone didn’t do their homework or put their thinking cap on.

Bulk recruiting failures are a major reason the club is in such dire straits.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back