List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
2022 draft looking gross atm considering we had pick 2 and 4 picks inside top 30

Ginbey is a pass but looks to be moving to the HBF because he struggles to impact in the midfield

Hewett had a pre existing foot condition he refused to disclose and misses the whole season

Barnett struggling to impact even wafl . Cat B Coen Livingstone looks a better prospect

Bergiel constant hammies

Long looks the best of the lot but has missed a massive chunk of his 2nd season

Culley looks like a delist unfortunately just not athletic enough

The head scratcher of chesser and ROB thinking he is too clever picking a guy who has NFI how to find the footy

Bazzo can't get on the park either

Hough and Jwill go alright 👍
There's no way Long is the best of the lot.

I'd have Ginbey & Hewett a million times over before I have Long. What's Long's ceiling? Not high

You can get in the weeds all you want but in the end the simple fact is that for the entirety of Simpson's tenure we just didn't pay enough respect to list management.

First it was Brady with zero experience in tandom with Simpson (also zero experience), then it was Vozzo (again zero experience), then Nisbett pulling his boots on for one last time and then with no other option but to choose someone with some relevant experience, O'Brien (and probably still Nisbett).

You just can't operate like that in the modern era. List management is everything.

We're so far away from being competitive that when we sneak into 8th in 2031 and get flogged by ten goals in our first final in a decade its going to feel bloody amazing.

IMG_5588.jpeg

How is 2018 a write off? We had I think pick 22 and instead of drafting Rowbottom or Hill, we split and took two of the worst players I’ve seen ever play for us in O’Neill and Foley.

2019 and 2020 we didn’t have much to work with, sure

Barnett - I understood drafting the best ruck available, but I personally hated the pick

Burgiel - I didn’t mind the pick, but it was a reach

Chesser was never a good pick, literally every WC fan could see that yet our recruiters couldn’t. That was always a reach.
Hold on there. Burgiel was hardly a reach. He was tipped to go earlier to mid round 2 and that’s where he went. He was seen as a balanced mid that could also play hbf or wing and had great speed and skills. You may not have rated him that high but plenty of people did. I had a chat with a Carlton talent identifier and he thought Burgiel was a steal. Reality is that his body is not holding up to AFL standards and that was something not known at the draft.

In terms of Chesser, I loved the fact that we extracted a R2 pick from Port to let them take Sinn but was gobsmacked when we overlooked Johnston. Chesser was a real Pieman pick of an athlete who good early years and in his draft year had an injury. While I thought we had reached, I recall briskent saying that the Lions had him in their sight a couple of picks later. So to you and me a reach but not to a load of other recruiters (not just draft watchers).

Don’t fall into the Donald Trump trap of making overstatements or untruths. I normally expect a 50% success rate with second round picks. You cannot get them all right. Plus Covid did have a big impact on the draftees development and opportunity to showcase

Last edited:
Would like to hear others thoughts on Corey Warner as a potential inclusion. Obviously when Sydney have a full list to pick from he is down the pecking order. He showed plenty of craft as a forward in their loss to Brisbane on the weekend, wouldn't demand a lot of currency in a trade and a year out from his brother being out of contract, we could get in early and set the foundation for Chad to join us at the end of 2025.

Playing off a half back flank in a side conceding more inside 50's than any other club I would have expected him to have more possessions. The odd Duggo in your side is fine, trouble is, we have a team full of them.
Number 9 on the list....

Champion Data’s Daniel Hoyne has revealed the top 10 in both categories, with a few star midfielders clearly needing to improve their disposal going forward.

“This is based on the degree of difficulty of the kick that you’re trying to pull off and how far above or below you actually pull it off,” Hoyne told SEN’s Sportsday.

0 seconds of 15 seconds

x close

The 10 best kicks inside 50

1. Ed Richards (Western Bulldogs)

Hoyne: “Ed Richards is the best kick inside 50 and there’s a significant gap between the top two and everyone else.”

2. Dan Houston (Port Adelaide)

Hoyne: “I’m interested to see what he could do as a midfielder (given how good a kick he is). Get him up the ground and get him involved and let him have four or five of these kicks.”

Kane Cornes: “He has done it and there was always fights at Port Adelaide because the midfield coach wants him, the backline coach wants him, but they’ve got the three star midfielders plus Ollie Wines and Willem Drew, they probably need him at half-back.”

3. Toby Greene (GWS)

4. Nic Martin (Essendon)

5. Brad Hill (St Kilda)

6. James Worpel (Hawthorn)

7. Hayden Young (Fremantle)

8. Elliot Yeo (West Coast)

9. Liam Duggan (West Coast)

10. Cam Rayner (Brisbane)

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Please watch foxtel AA meeting where Nathan Buckley and a couple of others mentioned him for AA squad
Love to hear your feedback after watching that ?
Other than the football itself I haven't watched any football show in years, probably 8 years ? Anyway, from what I hear from Bucks when in special comments he is one of the few who has good insight and makes intelligent observations.
I stand by what I have said.

Number 9 on the list....

Champion Data’s Daniel Hoyne has revealed the top 10 in both categories, with a few star midfielders clearly needing to improve their disposal going forward.

“This is based on the degree of difficulty of the kick that you’re trying to pull off and how far above or below you actually pull it off,” Hoyne told SEN’s Sportsday.

0 seconds of 15 seconds

x close

Hoyne: “Ed Richards is the best kick inside 50 and there’s a significant gap between the top two and everyone else.”

Hoyne: “I’m interested to see what he could do as a midfielder (given how good a kick he is). Get him up the ground and get him involved and let him have four or five of these kicks.”

Kane Cornes: “He has done it and there was always fights at Port Adelaide because the midfield coach wants him, the backline coach wants him, but they’ve got the three star midfielders plus Ollie Wines and Willem Drew, they probably need him at half-back.”

3. Toby Greene (GWS)

4. Nic Martin (Essendon)

5. Brad Hill (St Kilda)

2 Eagles in the top 10 , clearly why we are so good ? stats eh ?

Huge game from Hamish here as he racks up an impressive 40 disposals to help his Claremont team get a hard fought victory against Swan Districts. Lets hope we get to see him challenge himself at senior WAFL level in the coming weeks.

Unfortunately, almost the entire 3rd quarter of the broadcast was lost due to technical difficulties, so we missed out on 20 mins of the commentator mixing up Davis and Angove, a true tragedy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Twomey says the gap has flipped in regards to English, looked set to re-sign with the Dogs, but our offer is now better.

I'm not convinced we ever had an offer in front of him until recently, we baulked at paying over a million, reckon once form dropped and Dogs offer dropped we have come in with ours.

I don't think English is that great, but he's better than the ruckmen we have now and will cost nothing in terms of draft capital. As long as he doesn't encroach on Harley's $100m contract then we should go for him and any other free agents available.

Number 9 on the list....

0 seconds of 15 seconds

x close

3. Toby Greene (GWS)

4. Nic Martin (Essendon)

5. Brad Hill (St Kilda)

If we get Baker put Duggan and Maric on the wings. Perfect fits

I don't think English is that great, but he's better than the ruckmen we have now and will cost nothing in terms of draft capital. As long as he doesn't encroach on Harley's $100m contract then we should go for him and any other free agents available.
They're actually related. As part of English's contract, he has to work as Harley's butler Monday through Thursday.

Twomey also saying he thinks Liam Ryan is gettable when talking about the Bombers missing out on Ainsworth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back