List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
Toby Travaglia at #21 on PMBangers draft thread.
In fairness PMBangers rates Harrison Oliver over Tobie Travaglia with his sole justification being that Oliver is a better kick and not "significantly behind in any other area". I disagree with this assessment and even looking at the raw statistics it paints a different picture.

AT CTL level Travaglia averages 25.38 disposals, 4.75 marks, 5 tackles, 3.75 i50s a game and has kicked 6 goals.
Whereas Oliver averages over 15.25 disposals, 2 marks, 3 tackles, 1.75 i50s a game and has not hit the scoreboard.

Then at Champs level Travaglia averaged 21.75 disposals, 6.25 marks, 2.25 tackles, 2 i50s and he kicked a goal.
Also worth noting that due to the way he was used Travaglia averaged 8.25 intercept possessions a game. Also he had 6 contested marks for the Champs which is bonkers considering the only Country player who had more was Jack Whitlock (who stands at 200cm).
Travaglia also went at 84.7% disposal efficiency over the four Champs games whilst averaging 387 metres gained.

By contrast at Champs level Oliver averaged 16.25 disposals, 5.25 marks, 1.5 tackles, 1.25 i50s and he kicked a goal.
Notably none of Oliver's 21 marks during the Champs were contested and he averaged 4.5 intercept possessions a game.
Oliver also went at 83% disposal efficiency over the four Champs games whilst averaging 220 metres gained.

What I think we can extrapolate from the above:
1. Oliver performed better at Champs level compared to his output at CTL level (thus receiving AA honours);
2. Travaglia averages more disposals, marks, tackles, i50s at both levels (particularly at CTL level);
3. Travaglia has hit the scoreboard much more than Oliver at CTL level; and
4. Travaglia was arguably the best intercept player in the Champs.

The following is subjective, however, I think the stats we have available from the Champs indicates that Travaglia is a far better mark (both intercept and contested) than Oliver.
I also think that Travaglia has a better turn of speed that Oliver and is a constant line breaker (both for the Pioneers as well as for Country).
Travaglia is also 2 inches taller than Oliver which is not insignificant.
In summation I strongly dispute PMBangers reasoning for rating Olver above Travaglia (amongst others).
Having said that, if there was some way that we could discourage other clubs from picking up Travaglia so he might be available to us in the early 2nd round, then, yes Travaglia is very likely a bust. Honestly I don't think that Travaglia will last to the 2nd round and is more likely to be selected by Fremantle with one of their mid-1st round selections.

In fairness PMBangers rates Harrison Oliver over Tobie Travaglia with his sole justification being that Oliver is a better kick and not "significantly behind in any other area". I disagree with this assessment and even looking at the raw statistics it paints a different picture.

AT CTL level Travaglia averages 25.38 disposals, 4.75 marks, 5 tackles, 3.75 i50s a game and has kicked 6 goals.
Whereas Oliver averages over 15.25 disposals, 2 marks, 3 tackles, 1.75 i50s a game and has not hit the scoreboard.

Then at Champs level Travaglia averaged 21.75 disposals, 6.25 marks, 2.25 tackles, 2 i50s and he kicked a goal.
Also worth noting that due to the way he was used Travaglia averaged 8.25 intercept possessions a game. Also he had 6 contested marks for the Champs which is bonkers considering the only Country player who had more was Jack Whitlock (who stands at 200cm).
Travaglia also went at 84.7% disposal efficiency over the four Champs games whilst averaging 387 metres gained.

By contrast at Champs level Oliver averaged 16.25 disposals, 5.25 marks, 1.5 tackles, 1.25 i50s and he kicked a goal.
Notably none of Oliver's 21 marks during the Champs were contested and he averaged 4.5 intercept possessions a game.
Oliver also went at 83% disposal efficiency over the four Champs games whilst averaging 220 metres gained.

1. Oliver performed better at Champs level compared to his output at CTL level (thus receiving AA honours);
2. Travaglia averages more disposals, marks, tackles, i50s at both levels (particularly at CTL level);

The following is subjective, however, I think the stats we have available from the Champs indicates that Travaglia is a far better mark (both intercept and contested) than Oliver.
I also think that Travaglia has a better turn of speed that Oliver and is a constant line breaker (both for the Pioneers as well as for Country).
In summation I strongly dispute PMBangers reasoning for rating Olver above Travaglia (amongst others).
Having said that, if there was some way that we could discourage other clubs from picking up Travaglia so he might be available to us in the early 2nd round, then, yes Travaglia is very likely a bust. Honestly I don't think that Travaglia will last to the 2nd round and is more likely to be selected by Fremantle with one of their mid-1st round selections.
I think you have summed all of that up perfectly. I know you along with a couple of others in here have followed Toby closely it’s why I mentioned it.

The advantage of bringing in English is that it can generate an extra draft pick by trading out BWilliams. Now, if only he would do his part and have a good end to the season.
Bailey is OK at depth its jamo, Flynn and looking like Barnett that are the crabs that are list cloggers

They're actually related. As part of English's contract, he has to work as Harley's butler Monday through Thursday.
The Addams Family Smile GIF

One of the reasons we'd split our first pick is too land travaglia. Travaglia in the best 22 would free up hough to play wing something that we have missed since jetta left

Rhino on hbg was saying Liam bakers not being offered as much as people think and it’s more around the 600k mark

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Can’t see that being true and if it is Richmond can’t ask for a first.

Eagles would be a bit more than that imo. So maybe why most have us in front of the race

On one of the draft threads chris25 writes a pisstake (kinda) post about what it takes to make the jump from BigFooty expert to espn employee.
Points like must have ppl rated way above the general consensus or dropping ppl down the order as their skills won't translate to afl.
Put some state league smokies in the top 20 . That sort of stuff
He's obviously taking a huge potshot at knightmare but I think it could be aimed at some of the others who maybe jumped over to espn

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Whoever we draft has to have traits that turn the oppo ball over. Tackle machines, hard ball gets and intercept.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He said that’s who he imagines we’re looking at. I.e. he doesn't actually know

Right now I hope we’re looking at everyone

And I mean everyone

Recruiters aren’t going their job if they aren’t

Bailey is OK at depth its jamo, Flynn and looking like Barnett that are the crabs that are list cloggers
Bailey wouldn't be happy as depth, particularly on the last couple of years' form. This year's form has been poorer, but if he can lift, we would have suitors where he is more needed. If we have English as our main ruck, JWilliams as fwd/ruck, then Flynn as depth and Barnett still developing looks a lot better.

Sounds clickbaity like this, I'd say moreso in my 'third tier' than 21 outright
Love your draft work but can’t possibly see how you’ve got 2 tiers about Travaglia based on his performance this year and athletic profile. Currently there’s probably about 10-11 players who have set themselves apart who I could see justifications (not that I necessarily agree with) to go before Travaglia but I’d be pretty keen to know why you think Tobie would fall outside the second or even first tier of players. Hasn’t put a foot wrong apart from a shit umpire trying to make a name for himself.

Twomey also saying he thinks Liam Ryan is gettable when talking about the Bombers missing out on Ainsworth
I’d love to trade Ryan to GCS or Freo, where he fills a need. Their early 2R picks are about right, unless we contribute salary. Knobel and Davies player swaps with picks to balance would also be very appealing.

Smillie, O'Sullivan and Draper mentioned in who WC is looking at in the draft by Twomey

Also said they may look at splitting it, but only for 2 other top picks and not part of the Baker trade
Couldn't believe what he was saying about the tigers potential draft haul.
Said its a possibility that they trade Bolton, Baker to Freo for their 3xR1 picks, trade Rioli to GC for 2xR1 and go to the trade with 6 x R1 picks including pick 1. Wow that would be the biggest draft haul in history you would think.

It would absolutely suck from an Eagles pov watching all the clubs around us take multiple first rounders while we struggle to get two picks inside 30

Love your draft work but can’t possibly see how you’ve got 2 tiers about Travaglia based on his performance this year and athletic profile. Currently there’s probably about 10-11 players who have set themselves apart who I could see justifications (not that I necessarily agree with) to go before Travaglia but I’d be pretty keen to know why you think Tobie would fall outside the second or even first tier of players. Hasn’t put a foot wrong apart from a shit umpire trying to make a name for himself.
It's really only minor stuff that is, to my mind, fairly simple to iron out. I'm gathering from the responses Ive gotten that I'm pretty alone in questioning his disposal, particularly his penetration by foot (or placement when he does penetrate) but that's something I'd want to see improvement in that'd jump him from that tier 3 to early tier 2, his tempo balance has certainly improved from last year but is still a RFI for mine, but I do love a lot of the same things everyone else does in terms of his drive from D50 and ability overhead

I will add in an edit here; so much of this year is going to be subjective with Rankings, similarly to how people are baffled I have Travaglia where I do I'm baffled most don't have Lindsay top 10. It's probably the first year I've been heavily involved in this stuff where most of the commentary is "how could you have this guy so low" rather than "how could you have this guy so high", so I do understand why Travaglia is a favourite of peoples

Last edited:
Geez - my eyes and brain struggles to assimilate this stat. If Yeo and Duggan rate so highly then the rest of the midfield must have shizen delivery skills.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Yeo’s a pretty good kick. Few others on that list that definitely aren’t, so the criteria they’ve used are clearly in need of some refining.

Melbourne just lost without a ruck.

If English headed this way Bailey likely joins the merry go round.

Straight swap for Baker would be a wonderful result. The melts on the Richmond board and Baker trade thread would be epic.

And I mean EPIC!
A Randy Marsh in the basement on his pc moment!!

Couldn't believe what he was saying about the tigers potential draft haul.
Said its a possibility that they trade Bolton, Baker to Freo for their 3xR1 picks, trade Rioli to GC for 2xR1 and go to the trade with 6 x R1 picks including pick 1. Wow that would be the biggest draft haul in history you would think.

It would absolutely suck from an Eagles pov watching all the clubs around us take multiple first rounders while we struggle to get two picks inside 30

Bolton, Rioli and Baker is a lot of talent at their prime (26/27) to see walking out the door though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back