List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
I’d love to trade Ryan to GCS or Freo, where he fills a need. Their early 2R picks are about right, unless we contribute salary. Knobel and Davies player swaps with picks to balance would also be very appealing.

I think he'd be worth a first rounder (in the teens) personally. At least that's what I think it would take to do it. A team in the window would consider it imo

Love your draft work but can’t possibly see how you’ve got 2 tiers about Travaglia based on his performance this year and athletic profile. Currently there’s probably about 10-11 players who have set themselves apart who I could see justifications (not that I necessarily agree with) to go before Travaglia but I’d be pretty keen to know why you think Tobie would fall outside the second or even first tier of players. Hasn’t put a foot wrong apart from a shit umpire trying to make a name for himself.
Bit harsh on Liam, late first at least for mine.

Smillie, O'Sullivan and Draper mentioned in who WC is looking at in the draft by Twomey

Also said they may look at splitting it, but only for 2 other top picks and not part of the Baker trade

On the split pick, Twomey was only saying what he would do, not what he thinks/heard the club will do. God knows what the club will do.

WC draft history since 2018, just so many misses the margins and with second round picks. This doesn’t even include missing out on guys like Nic Martin or the O’Neill pick split when Rowbottom and Hill were available.

2018 -
28: O’Neill - delisted
31: Foley - delisted
35: B.Williams - shocking
39: Cameron - not on list

2019 -
49: Jamieson - shocking
58 - Johnson - delisted

2020 -
52: L.Edwards - shocking, delisted
57: Winder - delisted

2021 -
14: Chesser - lol
31: Hough -
37: Bazzo -
57: J.Williams -
62: Clark - delisted

2022 -
9: Ginbey - solid
14: Hewett - if can get fit
23: Barnett - it’s not looking good
29: Burgiel - it’s not looking good
58: Long -

2023 -
1: Reid -
30: Reid - looks good
38: Hall -
49: Johnston -

Yep, its out constant misses at the draft table that have got us here - especially in picks 20-30. Its a range where its impossible to nail all of them but you hope to at least strike gold at some points in time.
2017: Brander (10), Ainsworth (32), Petrucelle (38)
2016: Venables (13) - concussion got him but he was a risky pick that was looking dicey at times. Very low possession type that we hoped would develop.
2015: Partington (28).

Its the Partington, Ainsworth, XON, Foley, (likely Burgiel) picks that are killing us and mean we have no midfiled depth whatsoever. All second rounders that never looked near it tbh.

There is no point crying over spilt milk but i really hope whoever is responsible as a team of recruiters for these picks need to be moved on. I know RoB is gone but hope those underneath him are also being re-considered.

Bit harsh on Liam, late first at least for mine.

This version of Liam Ryan is very different to the one that saw him in an AA blazer.

He’s a lot slower now and even aerially he seems to have lost a lot of athleticism.

His field kicking has been very hit and miss this season too.

Teams would be interested, but I don’t think any team would give up a first rounder for him considering his injuries and poor form.

Couldn't believe what he was saying about the tigers potential draft haul.
Said its a possibility that they trade Bolton, Baker to Freo for their 3xR1 picks, trade Rioli to GC for 2xR1 and go to the trade with 6 x R1 picks including pick 1. Wow that would be the biggest draft haul in history you would think.

It would absolutely suck from an Eagles pov watching all the clubs around us take multiple first rounders while we struggle to get two picks inside 30
If they tigers lose bolton , Baker, Martin, Graham and having lynch perma injured it would basically put them in norf territory of shitness for years .

Feel sorry for Toronto and hopper having been traded in then the club selling the farm for picks

It's really only minor stuff that is, to my mind, fairly simple to iron out. I'm gathering from the responses Ive gotten that I'm pretty alone in questioning his disposal, particularly his penetration by foot (or placement when he does penetrate) but that's something I'd want to see improvement in that'd jump him from that tier 3 to early tier 2, his tempo balance has certainly improved from last year but is still a RFI for mine, but I do love a lot of the same things everyone else does in terms of his drive from D50 and ability overhead

I will add in an edit here; so much of this year is going to be subjective with Rankings, similarly to how people are baffled I have Travaglia where I do I'm baffled most don't have Lindsay top 10. It's probably the first year I've been heavily involved in this stuff where most of the commentary is "how could you have this guy so low" rather than "how could you have this guy so high", so I do understand why Travaglia is a favourite of peoples
Love Lindsay and travaglia, if we could walk away with both of those I’d be ecstatic.

If we could create some currency through trades and walk away with those two whilst taking our current first, forget about it, you don’t want to know what I’m going to be doing to myself post draft…

I have been thinking about this recently and I think that we should be looking to trade our 2025 first to Freo or GC for 2 of their first round picks this year. I also wouldn't be against something like f1st, f3rd, Waterman to Freo for 3 first rounders.

I was against trading the future first but we need midfield help for Reid. Splitting our first this year to get Travaglia and Langford won't help in the middle.

If we finished the off season with Draper, Travaglia, Xavier Lindsey, Harvey Langford, Hamish Davis at 23, Liam Baker (I would use a 2nd round priority pick to trade for him, If we don't get one I wouldn't bother) and Tim English that sets us up for the future.

I think we could cash in on Waterman now because I don't think he would generate band 1 compo if he left next year. Freo getting our f1st would assure them off Warner if he wants to come home, but at this point we just have to look at how to improve our own team and not worry about them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bolton, Rioli and Baker is a lot of talent at their prime (26/27) to see walking out the door though

Its 4 years since their last flag, If we'd gone the scorched earth strategy in 22, 4 years after our flag where we had a similiar season to them only winning 2 games. I don't think its possible we could've been even worse the last couple of seasons.

We've tried to ride it out and hold on to our experienced players, but it has delayed our rebuild as they are worth nothing now and we still lack top end talent. I haven't really seen that much benefit to our younger players development by holding on to them. All it did was give Simpson the hope that we'd bounce back and an excuse not to play the kids. I can't imagine we'd be in a worse spot if we had traded out some established players and got an extra 5 or 6 1st rounders.

Be interesting to see what the club does during the trade period with the 2025 draft in mind

Charlie Banfield looks good, Wes Walley looks good and Koby Evans is a ridiculous athlete who could be anything. Wonder if they trade Ryan and/or Barrass and get some future picks in....

Remember the old adage in draft and trade - to get something of quality, you need to give up something of quality.

So in order to get more top 40 draft picks this year (nice way that Beatson explained the quality of the draft this year), here are out alternatives:-

Trade out targets (obviously not all)
Tom Barrass for a mid first round pick this year (if a club will give him a $$ increase and a year or 2 more)
Tom Barrass with a % of salary cap to get a better pick
Liam Ryan in a similar way to Tom and for the right buyer, they might well bite (would we do the Freo trade if he wants to stay in WA)
Jake Waterman a similar way to Tom and for the right buyer, they might well bite or do we leave it for 2025 with a possible band 1 FA compensation
Oscar Allan and possibly get multiple first rounders but this could be over multiple years

• all of the above would be counter cultural for a club in the west hell bent on retaining players.
  • the above also means we will be worse in 2025

Split the pick (assume pick 2) for
  • preferably 2 first round picks but this draft will not be placing such a high premium on the top 6 - 10 like 22 and 23
  • be prepared to get one quality top 10 pick and a mid teens pick or a top 10 pick and multiple second round picks

Trade forward the 2025 pick
Big proviso is that buying club values it as pick 1 or 2 and wants 2025 early picks
Possible buyers would be Suns, Freo and Swans (though latter would need to be both R1 picks this year and future R1 pick at a minimum
Downside is we give up on a possible pick 1 elite talent

Other
Borrow Norf' begging mat and go to the AFL and plead for assistance picks - give us 2 end of R1 next year and 2 after our R2 this year and promise to never borrow the Shinboner's begging mat
Go for a salary cap dump and run the risk not having enough for Harley and pushing back salaries when we should be looking to pay them forward. We may also upset agents who start boycotting our stance on not giving EBA % increases in contracts

Not sure about you but all of the above would be hard to swallow. Probably more so given Laura Kane helped knit the Norf begging mat.

Remember the old adage in draft and trade - to get something of quality, you need to give up something of quality.

So in order to get more top 40 draft picks this year (nice way that Beatson explained the quality of the draft this year), here are out alternatives:-

Trade out targets (obviously not all)
Tom Barrass for a mid first round pick this year (if a club will give him a $$ increase and a year or 2 more)
Tom Barrass with a % of salary cap to get a better pick
Liam Ryan in a similar way to Tom and for the right buyer, they might well bite (would we do the Freo trade if he wants to stay in WA)
Jake Waterman a similar way to Tom and for the right buyer, they might well bite or do we leave it for 2025 with a possible band 1 FA compensation
Oscar Allan and possibly get multiple first rounders but this could be over multiple years

• all of the above would be counter cultural for a club in the west hell bent on retaining players.
  • the above also means we will be worse in 2025

Split the pick (assume pick 2) for
  • preferably 2 first round picks but this draft will not be placing such a high premium on the top 6 - 10 like 22 and 23
  • be prepared to get one quality top 10 pick and a mid teens pick or a top 10 pick and multiple second round picks

Trade forward the 2025 pick
Big proviso is that buying club values it as pick 1 or 2 and wants 2025 early picks
Possible buyers would be Suns, Freo and Swans (though latter would need to be both R1 picks this year and future R1 pick at a minimum
Downside is we give up on a possible pick 1 elite talent

Other
Borrow Norf' begging mat and go to the AFL and plead for assistance picks - give us 2 end of R1 next year and 2 after our R2 this year and promise to never borrow the Shinboner's begging mat
Go for a salary cap dump and run the risk not having enough for Harley and pushing back salaries when we should be looking to pay them forward. We may also upset agents who start boycotting our stance on not giving EBA % increases in contracts

Not sure about you but all of the above would be hard to swallow. Probably more so given Laura Kane helped knit the Norf begging mat.
There are options and it will be interesting to see what they decided to do. A lot of the pick trading really can’t be locked in until the announce the matching rules and pick values. Draft intel will go a long way this year, with it being so even. The talk of decent players getting through to the rookie draft I think should have Rawlinson, Culley, Trew, Baker in real trouble.

Cleary now reporting Hawks are having a crack at TB.

I’ve been a seller but listening to
His Podcast with Dyl, I was a little surprised he pushed it a little last year with his caring for team mates and members ect talk

Cleary now reporting Hawks are having a crack at TB.

I’ve been a seller but listening to
His Podcast with Dyl, I was a little surprised he pushed it a little last year with his caring for team mates and members ect talk

I still think it’s bullshit he said he would only go if he was pushed out. Maybe the eagles have told these clubs he’s available to put pressure on him to start looking around.

It's really only minor stuff that is, to my mind, fairly simple to iron out. I'm gathering from the responses Ive gotten that I'm pretty alone in questioning his disposal, particularly his penetration by foot (or placement when he does penetrate) but that's something I'd want to see improvement in that'd jump him from that tier 3 to early tier 2, his tempo balance has certainly improved from last year but is still a RFI for mine, but I do love a lot of the same things everyone else does in terms of his drive from D50 and ability overhead

I will add in an edit here; so much of this year is going to be subjective with Rankings, similarly to how people are baffled I have Travaglia where I do I'm baffled most don't have Lindsay top 10. It's probably the first year I've been heavily involved in this stuff where most of the commentary is "how could you have this guy so low" rather than "how could you have this guy so high", so I do understand why Travaglia is a favourite of peoples
I should have prefaced my previous critique regarding your assessment of Travaglia by stating that I am a club sponsor of the Bendigo Pioneers and I interact with many of their players on a weekly basis. For instance, I spoke to Tobie at the game on Sunday, albeit briefly. Thus, it is fair to say that there may be a degree of bias to my subjective opinion. I acknowledge that, however, I am fairly realistic on a number of other Poineers prospects, such as Archer Day-Wicks, James Barrat, Lachie Hogan, Zaydyn Lockwood and Connor Evans even though I regularly interact with all of them. Having said that I think Tobie has demonstrated some truly top tier attributes (i.e. his intercept/overhead marking and his line breaking ability) that will be attractive to a number of clubs (including ours) and he has done this constantly not just this year but last year when he won the Pioneers B&F. Given this I would be somewhat disappointed if he landed at Fremantle (who likely have the picks in the correct range), as he is not one of the fringe players from the Pioneers who I think would be more lineball to be selected.

Whilst pumping up players if we need a good intercepting key defender then James Barrat would be a great option to consider later in the draft.
He had 9 marks last week against the Cannons and has really taken to the role as a defender after being a key forward basically his whole career up into the last 5-6 weeks of football. Possibly the best contested mark at CTL level this year. Probably just needs to grow another inch in height now.
James Barrat 1.jpg James Barrat 2.jpg

Last edited:
If we were smart we would trade him while he’s at his absolute peak worth wise, by the time we are contending he’d be 5 years into retirement life

Yeah...we're getting pumped with him IN the team...I wouldn't be heartbroken if we got a couple first rounders or something for him while he's 'at the peak of his powers' for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back