List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
Rhinos strike rate isn’t great lately but would be a good get for cap space only. Be interesting to see if we up that a little if TB looks like he wants to leave. Frees up more space or go after another FA hard.
Player's change their minds frequently, what's true today might be wrong a day later

If the choice is extending TB’s contract by 2 years to 2029 (when he’ll be turning 34) on increased money or trading him out at his request for what should be a top 10 draft pick then I think we should take the pick

Happy for him to stay but not if that requires a longer term contract on more money. Would be happy to increase his money since he’s likely underpaid but a longer term can only be with a performance based trigger clause

Cleary now reporting Hawks are having a crack at TB.

I’ve been a seller but listening to
His Podcast with Dyl, I was a little surprised he pushed it a little last year with his caring for team mates and members ect talk
TB manager must not be getting the response he wants from WC regarding renegotiation of his contract .

They tried this last year too .

If the choice is extending TB’s contract by 2 years to 2029 (when he’ll be turning 34) on increased money or trading him out at his request for what should be a top 10 draft pick then I think we should take the pick

Happy for him to stay but not if that requires a longer term contract on more money. Would be happy to increase his money since he’s likely underpaid but a longer term can only be with a performance based trigger clause

That’s where I’m at, under no circumstances should we be adding years to his deal when his current contract ends when he’ll be 32. He’s not someone I think will have great longevity either.

Just no reason whatsoever for us to cave to those demands (if that is what’s expected from TB and his camp).

Cant we just keep him ?

Without barass its old man McGovern then hedwards and jamo .

Losing barrass puts us back massively.

I still think it’s bullshit he said he would only go if he was pushed out. Maybe the eagles have told these clubs he’s available to put pressure on him to start looking around.
Nah he wants more money and a longer contract.

He tried this pressure tactic last year with Sydney.

He then got injured that could have been career threatening and he pulled the love the club routine and probably thanked his lucky stars for the contract .

Now he is playing well he is at it again but earlier in the season he couldn't fly for the ball or bend down .

Cant we just keep him ?

Does it though, we're already cactus. Of course it does in the short term, but we're trying to repair the integrity of the list for the long term - the next flag whenever that may be.

Not only that, but is he even going to last another 5 years with his back injury?

As hard as it would be to let a player like him go... it may be one of those very difficult decisions.

Cant we just keep him ?

Not at this stage of the rebuild.

We’re as far back as we’re ever going to be, and Edwards looks to be coming on and needs to be played.

Also have Bazzo. Barrass won’t be around for our next finals tilt, so makes sense to get the pick and get more younger talent.

Does it though, we're already cactus. Of course it does in the short term, but we're trying to repair the integrity of the list for the long term - the next flag whenever that may be.
Keeping barrass and not getting pumped by 100 puts regularly could be the difference in Reid staying and going .

I would rather beg the afl for a priority picks

Shuey and darling were both priority picks and I didn't give a shit when we won the flag in 2018

Keeping barrass and not getting pumped by 100 puts regularly could be the difference in Reid staying and going .

Shuey and darling were both priority picks and I didn't give a shit when we won the flag in 2018

I’d feel pretty confident in saying Harley would prefer 2 kids he probably knows coming into the club over TB who’ll fall off a cliff within 3 seasons when we still aren’t in finals contention.

Part of the reason were in this position is because we’ve let every senior player retire or just become completely washed instead of using them to generate picks.

We've been pumped by 100 plus or thereabouts pretty regularly for almost three years running. Including 70+ by St. Kilda last week with all of the above in the side. I don't think there's any illusion as to where this football side is at.

Who's to say we turn down a top 10 pick for him this year, sign him up, he lands awkwardly in round 1 of next year and can't play footy again? Dramatic but it's certainly a possibility. I'd love to keep him but if there is a monster offer on the table for a contracted top 3-5 key defender in the league... you would have to consider it.

If Reid decided to go, it'd be mostly for other reasons, because he'll get a shit ton more money at WCE and teams don't stay down forever.

History is littered with players who left to chase flags and ended up missing out with their old team winning.

Barrass moving on will expediate the process, keeping him delays it

Short term pain, long term gain.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also, if he were to leave, we'd get rewarded very handsomely for it. We'd get a lot more than we got for Judd, for instance.

We’ll need to make a decision on Reid next off season, if he still hasn’t extended, we’ll have to move him, can’t let him get to the end of 2026 uncontracted because future picks won’t be worth nearly as much with the 2027 draft being heavily compromised with Tasmania coming in.

Also, if he were to leave, we'd get rewarded very handsomely for it. We'd get a lot more than we got for Judd, for instance.

Picks 3 and 20 plus a top 5 draft pick just 2 years into his career

I don’t think we’re getting close to that

A pick between 6-10 is probably the best we can realistically hope for and tbh that’s fair value for a 29 year old KPD

A pick between 6-10 is probably the best we can realistically hope for and tbh that’s fair value for a 29 year old KPD

I think bzp is talking about Reid if he left and the compensation that we would get.

Doubtful IMO. Clubs will be jumping over themselves to sign him.

We'd get at least 3 top 5 picks(including future picks here), because it's so much easier to move picks around these days., especially if/when they extend the range for future picks.

I'm also presuming such a trade would include WCE sending picks back also, in the same scenario.

Still, reports are he's happy, so unlike the bed-wetters around here, I'm not going to worry about it unless it happens.

Cant we just keep him ?

Back where? we can’t get much worse… give me a guy who can play fullback one on one , doesn’t try and mark everything and has some mobility when the ball hits the ground and decent disposal.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Cant we just keep him ?

I’d love to keep Barrass and will be happy if he stays provided we stand firm on his contract as I posted

However, the reality is we are only likely to get another 3 maybe 4 good years out of him and that isn’t guaranteed.

Trading him gives us another top 10 pick and the ability to build our young list further, something that’s desperately needed

We’ve been reluctant to trade our stars in our recent past partly because none of them asked to be traded and partly because we were trying (unsuccessfully) to have another crack at a flag

If a trade happens, it will be initiated by Barrass or at least done with his blessing so there’ll be no risk of bad blood by forcing him out. And we aren’t challenging for a flag before he’d be due to retire

His absence gives Edwards and Bazzo more opportunity to develop with McGovern. Maybe Jamieson as well if he can stay on the park

Depending on what pick(s) the bulldogs have I’d also be pushing to see how much Busslinger really wants to stay a bulldog

It also frees up salary cap space

Hate to see him go but there is upside if he does

Just read that 2 Irishmen have arrived in Perth to train with Freo.

Why the hell haven't we got onto this? A mckenna type off half back would be useful right now. Not draft capital, cat b rookie.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

As an Eagles fan who sits in the stands of the Gabba to watch the Lions every odd week, you don’t want another McKenna. Butchers the ball in the corridor and is a poor defender.

Irishman are not going to be our saving grace here… if anything, a cherry on top.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back