List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting - any reason you have Draper and Langford where you have them? I thought they’d be a little higher.
I have picks 3 to 11 as on par and you could make arguments for and against all of them, Draper should probably be a little higher and post combine (interviews) I will probably move him up. Langford I'm a massive fan of the way he goes about it but his athletic profile is what is holding me back so post Combine (testing) he may climb aswell.
Any reason you have FOS number 1? I know he's had his injuries but has put together a pretty mediocre year.
If it weren't for his injuries I think he would've preformed at a similar trajectory to how he was tracking last year and be a clear number one, but obviously that isn't the case now. Based on talent, Maturity and Leadership I still feel comfortable having him above the rest.

If the rumours are true and we can add Carroll and Peatling for peanuts/free, I'd happily replace Gaff and Luke Edwards with them.

We might be able to get Carroll for free or close to it, but Peatling will cost. Giants have put a 2 year offer in front of him and several other clubs are also showing interest

If we somehow manage to convince him to move here it’s likely to take a 2nd round pick in a trade

If the rumours are true and we can add Carroll and Peatling for peanuts/free, I'd happily replace Gaff and Luke Edwards with them.
Of the players we’re linked to in the media I think these two are the most realistic. I also wouldn’t rule out a play for Barrass from the Blues where we contribute salary. Nothing concrete or in the media yet but with a tight cap us contributing salary would be very appealing for them and would mean better picks for us.

I feel with Adelaide wanting lukosious and now neale-bullen it will be hard to keep their first .

I feel that GC will want to get in front of a Lombard bid even if it means they swap lukosious + bulldogs first for pick 4 .

Then GC can trade 8 + 20 for rioli and late picks to match Lombard.
Not sure it will be that difficult.

Neal-Bullen is worth maybe a late second or even a third rounder given his age.

Lukosious is a second rounder, either this year or next.

We might be able to get Carroll for free or close to it, but Peatling will cost. Giants have put a 2 year offer in front of him and several other clubs are also showing interest

If we somehow manage to convince him to move here it’s likely to take a 2nd round pick in a trade
Yeah that's getting a little steep for Peatling, our 3rd rounder which is an early 3rd sounds about right. Maybe if we have a Hawks second rounder rather than ours, i could live with it.

Episode 2 Whatever GIF

I’d be delighted. Agreed Lindsay won’t get to 23. Most of the talls you mentioned will go late 1R/very early 2R IMO so there’s a chance a player like Gross might get to 23 but I think Lindsay is too classy to be left after those talls. Lindsay’s my second choice if Tobie is gone with Barrass 1R or we split pick 3. I’d be very keen to make a play for Freo or GCS pick with Liam Ryan and/or future pick to get another selection there to get both TT and Lindsay. They’d give us a great attacking and penetrating option down the HBF/wing. Would also be very happy with Clancy Dennis at 59 but I know you’re big on Barrat and with good reason.

Yep. Lindsay is our TT backup with the TB pick at 11 IMO.

English officially staying at the Bulldogs per Twomey

I'm not even slightly upset. He would have improved our team because we are so bad, not because he is so good.

Think they will regret that contract in 12 months time when it becomes clear Darcy has lapped him as a player.

Love Juddy but I call bullshit. He went to a side he assumed was stacked with young top end talent assuming that when they developed he’d be looking at success.

Keep in mind prior to Judd arriving at Carlton they had drafted

Pick 2 (2003) Andrew Walker
Pick 9 (2004) Jordan Russell
Pick 1 (2005) Marc Murphy
Pick 20 (2005) Paul Bower
Pick 1 (2006) Bryce Gibbs
Pick 17 (2006) Shawn Hampson
Pick 19 (2006) Shaun Grigg
Pick 1 (2007) Matthew Kreuzer

That’s 8 top 20 picks prior to him arriving with three number 1’s three years in a row.

Now add in veterans like Brendan Fevola, Eddie Betts, Heath Scotland, Nick Stevens, Jarrad Waite…..

Juddy thought he’d be the cherry on top but it might take a year or so for the youth to flourish. He wasn’t walking into a side that needed a rebuild, he thought he was walking into a future dynasty.

It isn't bullshit at all.

What had that Carlton list achieved before he arrived?

Nothing.

Zero.

Zilch.

His comment was he didn't want to step into a successful side already.

The Blues were far from successful. That's why they had so many top 3 picks on their list. Because they were finishing bottom 3.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

English staying goes in the "oh well" bucket. Would be nice if one of our rucks can find a way of going to another level next year - not really sure we can afford to add another marginal ruck prospect to our list.

Other than Tobie, Lindsay is the only player I’d take in the mid teens over pick 23 (Hynes/Oliver) and 27 (O’Farrell/Mraz/Gerreyn) that could realistically be available. I just think both can turn into magnificent players and leaders at the club.

I wouldn’t take Allan, Hotton, Moraes, Gross or any of the talls.

Joe Berry comes very, very close but I think we need to address other areas first. There’s huge value in 20s picks this year and I’d rather two picks there than a single pick in the teens in most circumstances. I’d want to be sure we could take a KPD like Dennis later in the draft too if we traded the 20s picks up.
As long as we can nail the first 2 picks I'd have no hesitation splitting 23 with Richmond assuming we get a first and a round2 for barass. Out 23 for 33 and 39.

3- fos/draper
11 (barass hawks)- travaglia/berry/lindsay
28 (barass hawks)- ofarrel/mraz/gerryn
33 rich- malakai
39 rich- dennis
59- baratt??

I was in the small boat that wanted English as I believed he would have improved and complimented our midfield but I won't lose sleep over it.

We really do need a better ruckman.

Carroll has an awful kicking style it’s on par with Ainsworth

Ahh yes, who was shueys bestie again that was going to come west every year?

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app
He was actually going to come over as a FA at the end of 2017 on 4 year contract, I think.

He was convinced by Essendon late to stay instead, as they basically sold a successful future to him.

Didn't seem to happy with that decision when talking about on a Podcast a few months ago.

Not sure it will be that difficult.

Neal-Bullen is worth maybe a late second or even a third rounder given his age.

Lukosious is a second rounder, either this year or next.
I would have to disagree. Both players are contracted luko 3 more years and ANB 2 more years .

Both GC and Melbourne would want a trade on their terms and letting good contracted players go for unders I don't see happening .

It would be extremely stupid of GC to sell their high picks and lukosious then trade back in after a Lombard bid at a premium for lesser talent .

With pick 8 13 20 and lukosious they should easily get a high pick before lombard bid and rioli .

GC then have picks 26 37 47 which will cover any bid on lombard up to pick 6 .

Good to be reading we're trying to lure guys here, years gone by it was all so hush hush.
Peatling seems a better fit age wise but Baker has the leadership skills.
Peatling instead of baker maybe, what's their comparable worth?

We really do need a better ruckman.
Would be interested to see how BBW goes in the ruck with an actual pre-season developing as a #1 ruck under his belt.

It's time to stop persisting with the theory that he's going to be a forward who can pinch hit. He's got zero forward craft. It's full time ruck or bust for him IMO.

Good to be reading we're trying to lure guys here, years gone by it was all so hush hush.
Peatling seems a better fit age wise but Baker has the leadership skills.
Peatling instead of baker maybe, what's their comparable worth?
Both would be good gets imo.

Peatling when he has got to play the role of mid has been very good but has also really only done it for half a year. 16 coaches votes in the last 3 weeks. Melb, Saints and Eagles were the names mentioned but a long list of clubs lining up. Wants inside mid time and we can offer it. Hawks 2nd Rounder if we get one for TB.

Baker leadership would be huge imo. Also an elite role player and need some of those. Know their role and execute. I reckon we could trade our F2 for Sydney or GC pick 19 or 20 this year as I believe they have some academy players next year and bid matching is getting harder.

F2 for GC 19 (which gets Baker if he selects us and isn’t already part of the Rioli trade)
Hawks F2 or Pies pick 30* for Peatling.

Address two needs straight away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back