List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
Kingy already starting the narrative when talking to Cal about TB value. He thinks Gov saves TB a lot……

Their thoughts were
9-10 pretty much straight swap maybe some haggling over late picks
Around 13 and something else will have to be added maybe
Recruiting coup by Mitchell, rubbing his hands in glee.

Kingy already starting the narrative when talking to Cal about TB value. He thinks Gov saves TB a lot……

Their thoughts were
Barrass had his best season in 2022 with no McGovern so that blows a big hole in that theory.

Now i'm in no way involved in the actual draft and my rankings on players is a lot more limited this year than in years previous. But If I were in Massey's spot atm and the club holds pick 3 and Sid Draper is off the board i'm bidding on and would happily take him at 3. He's young relative to the draft crop and super strong for his size. He'll need to keep stacking on the size and core strength though. There's a lot of a young Daniel Kerr about his game.

He's a nugget with class and can find the ball. Super exciting player but might take 2-3 years to be AFL ready. Is 3 too high, maybe but it's a very even draft. Also if the suns fully set themselves up to draft him then it's an easy bid as you know it will be matched. Would ruin any future relationship with the suns recruiting and trade departments and they need plenty of points next year too.

AFAIK suns are literally just trying to lock down Rioli and Lombard as the key pieces out of this draft. They are at this stage also potentially looking at losing Lukosius as well. They want to get the two key pieces and move points into next years first 2 rounds.

Has already played against men and while he's not strong enough yet to play midfield at AFL level he could very well play up forward in year 1.
In terms of the Suns, we could have bid on Walter last year at 1 and that would have been grounds to ruin a trading relationship

Ashcroft at 1 is a fair price. Richmond should 100% bid on him. Richmond have raided and tried to raid the Lions den in the past. ✅

Lombard at 1 is being vindictive although he is the join Larke Medallist. No drama bidding provided we have had the conversations with him and his family and are happy to take him. It is not a threat but we can give him (and hence the Suns) a heads up. They want us to back off, they pick up the phone.

We bid on McDonald and Norf matched yet I cannot see a strained relationship there.

That said, I’m hoping for Sid

Their thoughts were
With supposedly 4 clubs chasing Tom, King has little influence on what is fair. How about we ask Stephen Wells what is fair if the player is contracted on low wages!!!

In terms of the Suns, we could have bid on Walter last year at 1 and that would have been grounds to ruin a trading relationship

Ashcroft at 1 is a fair price. Richmond should 100% bid on him. Richmond have raided and tried to raid the Lions den in the past. ✅

Lombard at 1 is being vindictive although he is the join Larke Medallist. No drama bidding provided we have had the conversations with him and his family and are happy to take him. It is not a threat but we can give him (and hence the Suns) a heads up. They want us to back off, they pick up the phone.

We bid on McDonald and Norf matched yet I cannot see a strained relationship there.

That said, I’m hoping for Sid
Happily bid at Lombard at 3... The kid is a jet. Powerful build, which I guess is expected when his old man was a UFC fighter.

At 3, I have no qualms in bidding on Ashcroft then Lombard. Why? They would be perfect additions to join our midfield and complement Harley, albeit in different ways.

In terms of who we pick that is available, I’m very content on one of Jagga, FOS or Draper. So I am totally relaxed with all of them. There is something about Draper that I am liking and I’m hoping Massey is aligned.
Have said previously that we have the game changing mid in Reid already, we need someone that can go out there and deliver a balanced 30 touches a game. We just struggle to get the ball and recycle the ball.

From what I've read that appears to be Draper?

Happily bid at Lombard at 3... The kid is a jet. Powerful build, which I guess is expected when his old man was a UFC fighter.

Lombard is a jet and has a bullet right foot.

Haven't seen much of him, does he have a left side as there were a couple of times he should've gone back on the left but turned back into traffic on the right?

If we get bo Allen with tb pick I will rage so ****ing hard. I'll take him at our second rounder or ideally where clay hall was taken

No set position
Doing worse then clay hall in national against men

Has he shown any ability to accumulate the ball in the middle. No not consistently

Dudes a rotham replacement at best (third tall). He can take rotham role. Forget it keep TB if our big brain recruiters are going to go to Bo ****ing Allen
Considering how well hough and ginbey look off the hbf it'd be a weird pick to use the barass pick on bo Allen. Travaglia has a point of difference, he could do his apprenticeship on the hbf then be the winger we are so desperate for after a year or two clocking up easier possessions ala naicos/sheezel

Couldn’t we bid on Lombard f we get him we get him but if not gc would have to give us picks right. That’s a way to get more picks bid on people.

Considering how well hough and ginbey look off the hbf it'd be a weird pick to use the barass pick on bo Allen. Travaglia has a point of difference, he could do his apprenticeship on the hbf then be the winger we are so desperate for after a year or two clocking up easier possessions ala naicos/sheezel
I’d like to go after Starcevich via FA next year. Would free Hough up to play a more dynamic role. Kane Farrell Port FA would be a good quarter back type pick up too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we bid at 3 gc would have to give 20 27 and 34 this would bolster our stock more
I'd hope you bid on Ashcroft followed by Lombard. Similarly I hope the dogs Bid on Kako if we take a first rounder to the draft. Teams definitely need to be more aggressive in that space and force the matching club onto the back foot.

Couldn’t we bid on Lombard f we get him we get him but if not gc would have to give us picks right. That’s a way to get more picks bid on people.
They'd have to use their picks to match, which in theory (and depending on the points in their draft hand) means the picks they use disappear and it brings everyone forward in the draft.

I.e. we bid with 3 that's worth 2,234 points, so Gold Coast would need 2,011 points to match our bid (Acadamy gets a 10% discount I think, although rules are changing). If they held pick 11 (1,329 points) and pick 28 (677 points), they'd be a touch short so would need to use some of the points from their third-round draft pick also, which would slide back. GC would then get Lombard, our pick 3 becomes pick 4 (i.e. the next pick) but picks 11 and 28 disappear from the draft and everyone shuffles up.

NOTE: these are random draft picks to show the methodology, not what is actually going to happen.

Unfortunately for Will, the more he talks and is exposed, the less credible he becomes.

From good beginnings, lesser and lesser things shalt come = Will.
Will also seems to be more bitter now its not his team anymore .
Most of the coaches, administrators are gone from his time at the club and most of his team mates are gone to .

He is on the outside looking in and must feel he has lost some relevance.

Its not like he is a club legend just a former player who lucked into a premiership.

If we bid at 3 gc would have to give 20 27 and 34 this would bolster our stock more
Not quite. If we bid on Lombard at 3 then GC have to use picks equivalent in points to pick 3 in order to match the bid.

We don’t get the picks they use. The picks they use get consumed matching the bid.

Not quite. If we bid on Lombard at 3 then GC have to use picks equivalent in points to pick 3 in order to match the bid.

We don’t get the picks they use. The picks they use get consumed matching the bid.
So we don’t get them the just disappear

920 on the yo-yo for Tobie, 3.1 on sprint from memory.

I like Bo but he’s a less athletic Ginbey (better footy IQ and leader though) vs 70/80m transition mid with one of, if not the best left foot kick in the draft whose skills we have been crying out for.
bzparkes put up some good selection history last year about us taking best available rather than the WA kid when all the Norf supporters convinced themselves we weren’t taking Harley at 1.

ROB said the same thing last year but if we take Bo over Lindsay he was obviously full of sh*t.
I'd take Bo over Lindsay, Lindsay is a good player with most of his kicking really high quality. But also prone to missing targets and turning it over.
Bo is tough, quick, dual position and gun footballer.

I just think there are other outside players you could get later in the draft. Boxshall or Artemis to name a few.

Another HBF that we will try turn into a midfielder because he dominated U18s midfield due to being bigger than the other kids .
With ginbey going back and all likely hood of moving chesser back wouldn't it be better to get a genuine mid ?
Probably best not to take chesser into future considerations

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

As mentioned they enter into the abyss but it then does remove some picks which will help with players being available in that range where I'm hopeful we'll have a few picks.

Richmond hopefully bids on Ashcroft at 1 and us or North bid on Lombard.

I'd take Bo over Lindsay, Lindsay is a good player with most of his kicking really high quality. But also prone to missing targets and turning it over.
Bo is tough, quick, dual position and gun footballer.

I just think there are other outside players you could get later in the draft. Boxshall or Artemis to name a few.
Hamish Davis maybe?

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

So we don’t get them the just disappear
Yes but if Gold Coast use 3 picks for 1 player everyone's later picks move up 2 picks in relation to those picks that disappeared.

Picks in the first round will move down eg pick 12 becomes pick 13 with the bid but picks in the 40s will move up eg pick 45 will become pick 43 .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back