List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s a shame Alex Condon committed to joining the pies would’ve been real handy for us at the moment. At 212cm I’m sure he could win a hit out. Is it too late to try change his mind or is the commitment set in stone and can’t change his preference?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Condon chose Collingwood because they gave him the open ended option of continuing basketball but also a guarantee that if he returned he would be on a list.

WCE wanted him for next season.

For what the club could get as opposed to what he can help provide as injury cover, getting to 300 and most importantly what he can provide at WAFL level to help with development unless someone offers him a couple of years with a trigger for a third I would much prefer to keep him on the list.

I’m with you, Darling to provide a real target for our 2s, kick 50+ and win the Bernie Naylor in 2025

One that may not be getting much traction but I know clubs are interested in is Connor Evans.
Kid is very dependable as a mid-sized defender. Very good interceptor for his height, usually piercing and accurate kick.
Just needs to get more of the pill averaging 13 disposals a game at Talent League. Also was injured going into the Champs so unable to have a run for Country despite being in the Squad. But the kid is class when he is involved.
Wouldn't surprise me if he gets picked up late (or as a rookie).
connor-evans-1-jpg.2085838
connor-evans-2-jpg.2085839

connor-evans-5-jpg.2085843
connor-evans-6-jpg.2085844

connor-evans-3-jpg.2085841
connor-evans-4-jpg.2085842

connor-evans-7-jpg.2085853
connor-evans-10-jpg.2085854

connor-evans-8-jpg.2085856
Them Hurn ears
Sign me up

I’m with you, Darling to provide a real target for our 2s, kick 50+ and win the Bernie Naylor in 2025
I've got a real soft spot for Darling. There's romance in a club stalwart finishing up his career at one.

It all came about for me, 2 years out from the draft, reading and hearing about a man child slaying all before him. Was it 22 goals in a game?

And then being despondent that there was no way we could jonjure up a top 3 pick to land him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Twomey's info only tends to come in very late. He tends to get it very right, particularly the top 10 but thats due to club and other contacts in the couple of weeks leading into the draft. Once you're past the top 10 all it takes is 1 team taking an unexpected player and everyone's phantoms fall to pieces.

I mean as a club in 2022 Carlton on draft day thought the Dogs were picking Busslinger, Eagles would pick Clark at 9 and Ginbey at 13 yet Twomey had it right. Hollands was a plan and it was a 2 year plan and I had spoken to his brother and family and part of selecting him was getting his brother via trade the next year. The club was hoping for Jakob Ryan to be available at the next pick but he was gone and Cowan was the backup. Cowan with the needs the club were chasing was my suggested pick. I didn't want to draft Binns as from all that I had seen he was a ball butcher. Got plenty of it but particularly under pressure was a turnover merchant. Scarily enough outside of his free kick for he had only 2 contested possessions and ran at 55.6% disposal efficiency and I thought it was one of the best games i had seen from him..... Club wanted a developing tall and despite thinking he could do with a year outside of the program there were other clubs interested so we went on highest available talent and drafted Lemmey. The choice was between him and Foster. Foster had had a much better year and it really was a 50/50 call. At that stage of the draft the club chose upside. Knobel was the other option and was seen as high risk, high reward and the club preferred a KPP over a Ruck and with Lemmey being 200+ CM the thought was if the club could develop some more physicality in him he could well be a Ruck Forward.

Now I just wanted to point something out to people once again. Clubs are not allowed to do medicals on draftees, they are only given the info the AFL allows.

This has ****ed multiple clubs over multiple times including West Coast specifically on Hewett and Archer Reid. If Hewett is a bust it has nothing to do with the recruiting team. It has since come out he had foot issues in his senior year and then even once at the club hid the minor foot problems from the club and played until he couldn't anymore. That is on the AFL & Hewett. Was like Scooter hiding how bad his ankle was having an effect on him. Archer Reid had a partially torn ACL. The AFL knew about both.

It's also why for me Mraz is a 100% do not draft. The club does not have enough resources in Victoria or the contacts on the medical side to get the info on how bad his foot is. So for me he is a 100% do not touch unless he's going to come to invterviews with his initial scans and up to date scans. It's just not worth burning a pick.
Interesting comment that the AFL knew about Hewett’s injury. What is the purpose of them collecting the medical information if they don’t release it to the clubs?

His form tapered off a little in the under 18 carnival after a brilliant game against Vic Metro. IIRC he played WAFL (league) thereafter and was solid. In the lead-up to the draft I recall hearing that he was polarising and that some clubs wouldn’t draft him at any draft position.

Do you think the AFL may have leaked the medical information regarding Hewett?

Interesting comment that the AFL knew about Hewett’s injury. What is the purpose of them collecting the medical information if they don’t release it to the clubs?

His form tapered off a little in the under 18 carnival after a brilliant game against Vic Metro. IIRC he played WAFL (league) thereafter and was solid. In the lead-up to the draft I recall hearing that he was polarising and that some clubs wouldn’t draft him at any draft position.

Do you think the AFL may have leaked the medical information regarding Hewett?

No, I was working for another club. In the last couple of hours leading up to the draft Essendon expressed interest in moving up the order of their second pick and the rumour was that it was for Hewett. Sydney had quietly expected Hewett to be there and after he was selected by us bid on 2 other teams academy players and then traded back as hawks were desperate for Weddle (good call)

Real question is: Do you think the afl will look at our 11 wins in our last 77 games and hand out some form of assistance eg more list spots, bigger soft cap for development. I highly doubt they will give us any picks, let alone some late ones.

We should have 1 positional trade target and that’s a ruck. We have to find a way to get a decent young ruck like hawks did with meek. Would love for us to find a way to get Ned Moyles from GC, but I think so would a lot of other clubs.

As a club we use to be able to draft and develop rucks but we are terrible at that now and we are turning them all into average backman.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Real question is: Do you think the afl will look at our 11 wins in our last 77 games and hand out some form of assistance eg more list spots, bigger soft cap for development. I highly doubt they will give us any picks, let alone some late ones.

We should have 1 positional trade target and that’s a ruck. We have to find a way to get a decent young ruck like hawks did with meek. Would love for us to find a way to get Ned Moyles from GC, but I think so would a lot of other clubs.

As a club we use to be able to draft and develop rucks but we are terrible at that now and we are turning them all into average backman.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

No I don't as we've won 5 games for the season. If we have another horrid season next year I would expect there to be something.

I’d take it but how do we convince Jack to uproot his life and move to Victoria, any idea if they offering extended years?

Pick 49 would be helpful.
JD would leave for the extra season or two. He is extremely passionate about playing AFL level football as long as he can. If Dees give a 2 year deal he would go

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s like if Ben Brown wanted to go around and dees wanting hough for brown.

You do realise by now its not really up to a club who decides to come and go. Its up to the player. So clubs rarely choose to trade players. The player requests a trade and the club does its best to get a decent deal.

There is no way Melbourne would want to involve McVee in a trade for Darling. Which is what some are suggesting. That is misinterpreting the situation and plain silly to post that suggestion.

However if one player is interested in a club quite often the club they are leaving will shake the tree to see if a player would be interested in coming the other way. Pyke has been shaking alot of trees its been reported.

And before nuffies post thats a stupid swap players dont need to be of equal trade value to be involved in a trade. That often happens. Thats what drafts picks are there to balance any trade.

Not no interest but unlikely trade up to take him ahead of players at a similar level (FOS/Lalor etc.) i.e. like you said we get pissed off with media assuming we want to trade up just because a kid is from WA.

Got that mail before his recent SANFL performances mind you so they may have a different view now.

When you hold pick 4 and a local gun mid is projected at pick 2 to 5 why wouldnt the Crows be keen?

He is a player of need in a position of need. Ranked spot on where their pick is with no go home factor.

Its a whisker between Jagga, FOS and Draper ATM.

After Draper players start presenting with questions on their game like Lalor and even Smillie.

Schoey leaking more of his insider knowledge? If we could get Darling off the books and get a half decent pick back by way of salary dump I’m all for it.

It’d be purely a salary dump. Most were calling for him to retire a month ago. We’re not getting a pick back for him, let alone a half decent one.

When you hold pick 4 and a local gun mid is projected at pick 2 to 5 why wouldnt the Crows be keen?

He is a player of need in a position of need. Ranked spot on where their pick is with no go home factor.

Its a whisker between Jagga, FOS and Draper ATM.

After Draper players start presenting with questions on their game like Lalor and even Smillie.
Yes it all makes sense I agree, just repeating what I’ve heard that’s all but as I said that info was before his last few games in the SANFL.

I think we should be making noises that we’re taking Draper at 3 to try and get Dees 2R from the Crows to slide one pick then bid on Lombard unless a trade with GCS is agreed then take FOS at 4 with Lalor as the back up.

It’d be purely a salary dump. Most were calling for him to retire a month ago. We’re not getting a pick back for him, let alone a half decent one.

Why would we need to dump Darling's salary for 2025?

We don't have salary cap issues.

We don't have problems opening up list spots.

If he moves its his effort to extend his career and earnings Nothing about managing cap space.

We will get a token pick for Darling or maybe a pick upgrade

Edit. Just checked and McVee is out of contract next season.

Darling plus Eagles F2nd

For McVee and pick 49.

Our F2nd likely taken up with NGA bids so we get later picks to cover that.

Is a future 2nd fair for McVee or being generous?

Last edited:
Demons bring a whole new meaning to the word desperation when it comes to forwards. Forget pick 49. Id want 49 and a future pick. Its all or nothing for them

Yes it all makes sense I agree, just repeating what I’ve heard that’s all but as I said that info was before his last few games in the SANFL.

I think we should be making noises that we’re taking Draper at 3 to try and get Dees 2R from the Crows to slide one pick then bid on Lombard unless a trade with GCS is agreed then take FOS at 4 with Lalor as the back up.

What people hear always has an element of what one party would like to happen.

Not necessarily what will happen when push comes to shove.

They sure aren't going to come out publically saying we WILL be drafting player X and will trade up for them..

What people hear always has an element of what one party would like to happen.

Not necessarily what will happen when push comes to shove.

They sure aren't going to come out publically saying we WILL be drafting player X and will trade up for them..
Of course, but it didn’t come from anyone within the Crows or with a vested interest.

Logically a highly ranked local midfielder who’s not a reach at a pick with a couple of similarly ranked players would presumably be of high interest and preference. Will be interesting to see what (if anything) plays out with their pursuit of Draper but we should be aiming to exploit it.

Why would we need to dump Darling's salary for 2025?

We don't have salary cap issues.

We don't have problems opening up list spots.

If he moves its his effort to extend his career and earnings Nothing about managing cap space.

We will get a token pick for Darling or maybe a pick upgrade
This is spot on. If it’s a token pick (F5) I’d rather keep him around the club then he can explore his FA options end of next year. If the Dee’s want him next year then something of value will need to come back. I’d be exploring 38 and 49 for 59 and Darling with salary paid. Or gauge interest to include BWilliams and maybe see if we can get Ned Reeves into the Barrass deal by contributing salary for Barrass.

I like the call of ick 38 for JD + half his salary.
That makes sense for everyone.

I really feel for the senior players who have sacrificed their bodies and bled for the club over the last decade.

It's an exciting time for us but horrid for them...I really hope they earn good money out of any change (which they most likely will...It's a win for the club and player in that regard)

Thank you for everything guys....It's been a pleasure.

Melb pick44 or coll pick47 would be good suitors for Darling. West coast can pay the remaining year of his contract with either clubs to offer him a 2 year deal. There is no way he should play any afl games next year at the expense of Archer or J Williams. From a buisness pov it'd be reckless for darling to spend a year in the wafl and get a couple of games to say goodbye when we could turn that pick into a developing KPB especially when we are helping barass pack his bags.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back