List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
Getting back to our current list, I went to the game with Monocle on Sunday and we discussed how both Jamie Cripps and Jack Darling have become more clumsy. They do not handle the ball as cleanly as they did 2 years ago and quite noticeably. They are also slower to react, slower to get off the ground and more prone to being knocked off the ball.

It looks like both these guys could well expect to spend more time playing Beagles in 2025

Just on Jack, a comment was made by someone we sat with as to why Jack does not retaliate to his being thumped in the head by defender. Given Jack has his black belt in taekwondo, we should have got him schooled by Tony Lockett on how to stop players hitting him in the head.
To be fair they're a combined 64 years 5 months and 547 games.

I for one think we should keep Darling, rather than trade him for a pick 60+. A break in case of emergency, get him to 300 next year.

We are not North who shunt of a boomer harvey, or Essendon who won't even give Heppell a farewell game.

We should have more than enough list turnover that he's not taking a list spot from a talent youngster.

Real question is: Do you think the afl will look at our 11 wins in our last 77 games and hand out some form of assistance eg more list spots, bigger soft cap for development. I highly doubt they will give us any picks, let alone some late ones.

We should have 1 positional trade target and that’s a ruck. We have to find a way to get a decent young ruck like hawks did with meek. Would love for us to find a way to get Ned Moyles from GC, but I think so would a lot of other clubs.

As a club we use to be able to draft and develop rucks but we are terrible at that now and we are turning them all into average backman.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Everyone wants Moyles. GC will dump Witts rather than let Moyles go though.

Waterman, Allen, Jack Williams, Archer should be the pecking order next year. Maric may slide in there off the wing.

If he has interest elsewhere for a few years, he should take the payday.
Why you got Waterman a 3rd or 4th tall fwd above our Captain and Full Fwd Oscar Allen?

Tis the season to trade Waterman at his highest. We are lacking midfield. Waterman was great while Oscar was out, but now he is back. Jack Williams has 2nd Ruck/Fwd locked down.
Now is the time to bring Archer Reid a 205cm Tall Fwd in. He kicks 1 to 2 goals every game in a woeful WAFL team.

Allen, J Williams & A Reid should be the 3 next season. We still got Livingstone and hell we still got Bailey Williams & Flynn on the books currently. You got Hutchinson, Maric and Culley all capable of playing 3rd tall fwd. Fook me. Open your eye balls. All season they and us have said we are way too tall in the fwd line.

At this moment they are trying the same Waterman experiment with Maric and Hutchinson. Trying to play tall fwds in other roles up the ground. Now is the time to trade to get us many draft picks. Hey we could get Bolton and Draper, Travaglla this off season if we show some guts trading Barrass, Waterman Ryan & Darling. We can get 1st rounders for Waterman, Barrass and maybe a late 1st round for Ryan too. Then we wheel n deal.

Someone like Bolton/Warner now maybe very important. Re - Yeo and Kelly do not have too much longer left, then what back to a list that looks like North Melbourne?

I highly rate Archer Reid. He reminds me of those Essendon Greats. Scott Lucas, Paul Salmon etc. He is going to be a hand ful next to Oscar. Translate 2 WAFL goals a game in a shit team to playing deep in a WCE Fwd line. You will get what Waterman put out + having Oscar back. J Willlams set as 2nd Ruck/Fwd.

Ask yourselves how many years does Yeo & Kelly have left in the guts? I pray Hewett's footy allows to play his best footy. Yeo was supposed to play half back this season. Tim Kelly looked a yard slower.

Last edited:
Why you got Waterman a 3rd or 4th tall fwd above our Captain and Full Fwd Oscar Allen?

Tis the season to trade Waterman at his highest. We are lacking midfield. Waterman was great while Oscar was out, but now he is back. Jack Williams has 2nd Ruck/Fwd locked down.
Now is the time to bring Archer Reid a 205cm Tall Fwd in. He kicks 1 to 2 goals every game in a woeful WAFL team.

Allen, J Williams & A Reid should be the 3 next season. We still got Livingstone and hell we still got Bailey Williams & Flynn on the books currently. You got Hutchinson, Maric and Culley all capable of playing 3rd tall fwd. Fook me. Open your eye balls. All season they and us have said we are way too tall in the fwd line.

At this moment they are trying the same Waterman experiment with Maric and Hutchinson. Trying to play tall fwds in other roles up the ground. Now is the time to trade to get us many draft picks. Hey we could get Bolton and Draper, Travaglla this off season if we show some guts trading Barrass, Waterman and Darling. We can get 1st rounders for Waterman and Barrass..

Someone like Bolton/Warner now maybe very important. Re - Yeo and Kelly do not have too much longer left, then what back to a list that looks like North Melbourne?
I'm agreed that we should encourage Waterman to see what other options he may have. I like the bloke but he's had one decent year. Is it going to be the outlier or a sign of change to come.

It could be a win win, he gets a nice juicy contract somewhere and we get a decent pick for the rebuild.

If the right deal isn't there then we keep him.

I've got a real soft spot for Darling. There's romance in a club stalwart finishing up his career at one.

It all came about for me, 2 years out from the draft, reading and hearing about a man child slaying all before him. Was it 22 goals in a game?

And then being despondent that there was no way we could jonjure up a top 3 pick to land him.
Yeah I'm in the get JD to 300 camp.

Unless someone offers something crazy like 1st rounder

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Definately the best value for us if we were to trade darling... Would be to offer either Richmond or North Melbourne Darling and our first pick... For their first.... Just to definately get either Jagga or Draper... Preferably Richmond

For what the club could get as opposed to what he can help provide as injury cover, getting to 300 and most importantly what he can provide at WAFL level to help with development unless someone offers him a couple of years with a trigger for a third I would much prefer to keep him on the list.

Didn’t Archer Reid’s best WAFL game coincided with Darling also playing??

Definately the best value for us if we were to trade darling... Would be to offer either Richmond or North Melbourne Darling and our first pick... For their first.... Just to definately get either Jagga or Draper... Preferably Richmond
Richmond and North do not want Darling. No one is giving us anything for Darling. Certainly not letting us move up in R1 for him.

Melbourne / Geelong might give us a decent pick for Waterman.

Richmond and North do not want Darling. No one is giving us anything for Darling. Certainly not letting us move up in R1 for him.

On the contrary... A mature key forward is exactly what North at least need... drafting at 3 gets them a good mid as well... And we get a preferred 🎯

I’m the opposite. I think the list spot and the ability to provide more opportunities to guys like AReid and Jilliams make it worthwhile getting him off the books and allowing him to chase success elsewhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So you know the intentions of both players?
Well you already said river's would go to freo to play with his bestie Jackson so I assumed you knew his intentions. And there's no way melbourne would part with mcvee for darling Without us throwing in a relatively high draft pick.

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'd rather keep Darling unless we can somehow package him up to nab an extra first rounder to go with 3 and whatever we get for Barrass.

We can cut deep enough without resorting to trading him for a packet of chips.
If the draft is as deep as they're saying, I'm the trade + salary camp.

Got to be under pick 40 though.

Has Archer Reid ever played ruck?

He's tallest on the list and probably more athletic than Barnett/Flynn/Livingstone etc

Even Jamo is taller.

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

He’s done some pinch-hitting in the WAFL.

If the draft is as deep as they're saying, I'm the trade + salary camp.

Got to be under pick 40 though.

Yeah agree

No club is going to trade a first rounder for Darling, but a team might be willing to throw a 2nd/3rd rounder at us to secure his services for a couple of years to try and nab a premiership.

Any pick higher than 35- 40+ is not worth it IMO. He brings a lot of experience that's invaluable to our developing forwards.

I'd be taking offers for darling, BWilliams and Ryan.
Whist none of them would get us anything more that a mid to late 2nd round pick(if that) this is the draft to gamble on late picks actually amounting to something (other than the odd fluke)
Obviously there's plenty on the delist pile that you'd hope someone might want (like rotham) but realistically they're just delist material

Yeah agree

No club is going to trade a first rounder for Darling, but a team might be willing to throw a 2nd/3rd rounder at us to secure his services for a couple of years to try and nab a premiership.

Any pick higher than 35- 40+ is not worth it IMO. He brings a lot of experience that's invaluable to our developing forwards.
No club is giving us a second or third rounder for JD. You have to be realistic.

He’s done as an AFL footballer than can contribute to winning.

If you think otherwise say who the club will be and why.

What was Gunston traded for?

Pick 48 and a future 4th.

Not earth shattering but better than nothing.

Anyone over 30 besides Yeo as he has recently extended should be turfed. Darling could still add something to a side but not ours, no point, move on, play the youth.

Well you already said river's would go to freo to play with his bestie Jackson so I assumed you knew his intentions. And there's no way melbourne would part with mcvee for darling Without us throwing in a relatively high draft pick.

I said Rivers likely goes to Freo due to being mates with Jackson.

And no-one said Darling for McVee straight swap.

Would always need something added to Darling for us to land McVee.

Or Darling trade helps us upgrade a pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back