List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
No club is giving us a second or third rounder for JD. You have to be realistic.

He’s done as an AFL footballer than can contribute to winning.

If you think otherwise say who the club will be and why.

The third round goes out to what ~ pick 57? I don't think it's unrealistic for a club, in their window, to consider using a pick in the top 57 for Darling. That would depend on the club & what picks they have available.

I'm just saying the ROI for us to trade him isn't worth it after certain point

I’m the opposite. I think the list spot and the ability to provide more opportunities to guys like AReid and Jilliams make it worthwhile getting him off the books and allowing him to chase success elsewhere.
The latter can be achieved while retaining him. He largely plays WAFL, comes in for injuries, gets the five games needed to reach 300.

Interesting comment that the AFL knew about Hewett’s injury. What is the purpose of them collecting the medical information if they don’t release it to the clubs?

His form tapered off a little in the under 18 carnival after a brilliant game against Vic Metro. IIRC he played WAFL (league) thereafter and was solid. In the lead-up to the draft I recall hearing that he was polarising and that some clubs wouldn’t draft him at any draft position.

Do you think the AFL may have leaked the medical information regarding Hewett?
Don't worry Geelong and Collingwood with one of their former players, coaching staff and/or executives in a role at AFL house would have let them know not to draft him.

In other news Graham Wright is leaving Collingwood and his role as footy boss to potentially take up a role at AFLHQ.

Here is a long shot hypothetical... Trac wants out of Melbourne. It is unlikely he wants a to move west but lets imagine he is open to it if we can put the right deal in front of him to team up with Harley and come back to his happy days at Optus (Sept '21).

Dees are desperate for a quality forward, even 2. Assuming we get Hawks 1st + extras for Barrass, would we do Waterman+Darling+Hawks 1st for Trac? Would Dees consider it?

Archer Reid and Livingstone are still a fair way off being AFL ready. TBH as anything other than second ruck and part time tall forward Jack Williams whilst performing reasonably well this year is still probably this preseason away from being ready and another after that before he's going to win his role more often than not.

You trade out Darling and we are 1 injury away from being short on AFL ready talls up front. We don't want to be wrecking young guys bodies before they are physically good to go.

Just to answer another question Archer's best game was when Darling and Sheed were in the WAFL against West Perth. If he had of kicked a touch straighter, could easily have had 5 goals. There were a couple of tough shots in his 7 scores that you wouldn't expect players to make most of the time.

Here is a long shot hypothetical... Trac wants out of Melbourne. It is unlikely he wants a to move west but lets imagine he is open to it if we can put the right deal in front of him to team up with Harley and come back to his happy days at Optus (Sept '21).

Dees are desperate for a quality forward, even 2. Assuming we get Hawks 1st + extras for Barrass, would we do Waterman+Darling+Hawks 1st for Trac? Would Dees consider it?
So basically pick 12 and an undersized key forward who has had one good year? Yeah that's not even close to getting Trac.

Don't worry Geelong and Collingwood with one of their former players, coaching staff and/or executives in a role at AFL house would have let them know not to draft him.

In other news Graham Wright is leaving Collingwood and his role as footy boss to potentially take up a role at AFLHQ.

Anyone worth their salt should always be happy to take a role at AFLHQ. It's money for jam with almost zero accountability.

I wouldn't even be bothered doing paperwork for Pick 41 for Darling. No offence but that's a nothing picks.

Equivalent to thr last pick in afl draft.

We may be better keeping him on to sacrifice salary cap and when he retires we have his salary cap to fully use. We need to meet salary cap requirements and Darling can be a temporary holder

I wouldn't even be bothered doing paperwork for Pick 41 for Darling. No offence but that's a nothing picks.

We may be better keeping him on to sacrifice salary cap and when he retires we have his salary cap to fully use. We need to meet salary cap requirements and Darling can be a temporary holder
Pick 41's since 2000. Noting that yes academy and f/s push pick 41 out, but then it's pulled back in by the picks used to match.

1724210319166.png
Bit of a crapshoot, the FS picks in Hawkins and Libba stand out. A Mason Wood type would be welcomed though.

Really don't get the requirement for Trac, for what he would cost at his age we're just delaying the inevitable full rebuild.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Next year I’d like our forwardline to be Allen, Waterman and one forward/ruck named Williams but not both

Darling would be the first choice replacement for either Allen or Waterman with the hope that Reid could elevate his game to compete with Darling if/when a spot opens up. Livingstone, who is very raw, would be our next and last remaining option

So I can see WCE_phil reasoning for keeping Darling as he provides mature depth that will be needed at some point during 2025 and can be a strong WAFL mentor for Reid, Livingstone and whichever Williams isn’t in the seniors. There’s also the not insignificant point that he would become just our second ever 300 game player in 2025 (he’s on 297 games now)

If he departs we get a pick in the 40’s or later, ideally a bit better if we pay some of his salary for 2025. Sounds like there might be some good options if we can manufacture a pick in the 30’s

To me, this is one I’d be happy for Darling to decide. If he gets an offer from another club that’s enticing enough to him to ask for a trade, then the club should do their best to facilitate it without giving him away for something stupid like a R4 pick

Alternatively, if no such offer materialises then having Darling stay to see out the final year of his contract floating between AFL and WAFL is fine

Has Archer Reid ever played ruck?

He's tallest on the list and probably more athletic than Barnett/Flynn/Livingstone etc

Even Jamo is taller.

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
This guy could be the dark horse to really turn heads next year. Pretty much forgotten about due to missing basically the whole year through injury.
Jamo and Bazzo could be a couple of massive ins next year filling some roles.

On the JD thing, personally I prefer to keep him and test the waters with Bwilliams.

If the past 2 years have told us anything, he isn't a key ruck. He would probably now be 4th + in line as a tall forward and would have more value than Darling in a trade elsewhere.
Having Darling around at least gives some valued experience for the young guys to learn from, particularly when playing with them in the 2's.

Flynn, JWilliams, Jamo could not be any worse than, Bwilliams, Bwilliams, Jwilliams.

You come up with some random posts.

What pick was Noah Long?

Frejaih?

Pick 41 is worth using this draft. A few KP's and decent defenders around that area.

Last edited:
If Darling is happy spending most his time in the WAFL and then come in for his 2/3 games needed for his 300 games im fine with that. Also if there are any injuries then he comes in.

Ditto with Cripps ( who has mentioned is willing to play WAFL and help develop) as we need to get more games into Long.

Has Archer Reid ever played ruck?

He's tallest on the list and probably more athletic than Barnett/Flynn/Livingstone etc

Even Jamo is taller.

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

He's the only pure FF we have developing at the moment and he's done quite well in that position, I wouldn't be turning him into yet another ruckman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back