List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, that's one positive thing to happen going forward - Hedwards and Hough signed.
Hedwards been with us 6 years already?? Just after the last flag?
"Eager to repay the club after six years of development, key defender Edwards has signed an extension until at least the end of 2027..."

Following the Hough and Edwards news there are going to be some tough (and some not so tough) decisions as to which players are offered contracts. Our Cat A rookie list will retain at least Hutchinson and probably Maric as I don’t see an obvious reason to shift him to the main list unless we want an extra rookie pick as opposed to national draft pick. Based on us trading Barrass, my preference would be:

Delist/retire (8)
Jones, Gaff, Witherden, Rotham, Trew, LEdwards, Baker, Rawlinson

Trade (1)
Barrass

Re-sign (1)
Livingstone

TBC depending on trades/FA (2)
Culley, Burgiel

That would leave us with 5-7 Main list spots (depending on what we do with Culley and Burgiel) and 2 CAT A rookie spots.

With the re-signing of Harry Edwards, our list of uncontracted players now stand at 10. In descending order of age :

Josh Rotham (25/2/98)
Alex Witherden (10/9/98)
Jamaine Jones (29/9/98)
Luke Edwards (12/1/02)
(R) Zane Trew (26/4/02)
(R) Jai Culley (24/2/03)
(R) Jordyn Baker (10/5/04)
Coby Burgiel (9/9/04)
(R-B) Coen Livingstone (25/5/05)
(R) Loch Rawlinson (1/6/05)

Culley close to signing a new deal according to his manager and Livingstone as a developing tall on the Cat B list should be safe

The rest would rightly be nervous

Following the Hough and Edwards news there are going to be some tough (and some not so tough) decisions as to which players are offered contracts. Our Cat A rookie list will retain at least Hutchinson and probably Maric as I don’t see an obvious reason to shift him to the main list unless we want an extra rookie pick as opposed to national draft pick. Based on us trading Barrass, my preference would be:

Delist/retire (8)

Trade (1)
Barrass

Re-sign (1)
Livingstone

Culley, Burgiel

That would leave us with 5-7 Main list spots (depending on what we do with Culley and Burgiel) and 2 CAT A rookie spots.
Culley / Burgiel are firmly in the delist pile if you have Trew, Baker, Rawlinson in there.

Well, that's one positive thing to happen going forward - Hedwards and Hough signed.
"Eager to repay the club after six years of development, key defender Edwards has signed an extension until at least the end of 2027..."

This is from pre the Carlton game, he’s now level with McDougall.

Seems right - it often takes KPP 5 seasons to hit their straps. Happened to Allen and Waterman was a bit longer, but got there.

That's why I'm not buying into this doom and gloom about a 10 year rebuild. Getting the KPP in place is the hard part and we managed to get the key pieces recruited while we were up the top of the ladder. The midfield and flankers we'll solve in 2 or 3 more seasons from our recruits developing (eg Hough, Reid, Ginbey, 2024 R1) and likely trading the rest in (like nearly our entire midfield in 2018).

Delist/retire (8)

Trade (1)
Barrass

Re-sign (1)
Livingstone

Culley, Burgiel

Reckon there might be more than one trade that will potentially save Culley, Burgiel or Rawlinson. Rest are gawn, imo.

Culley / Burgiel are firmly in the delist pile if you have Trew, Baker, Rawlinson in there.
Why?

Culley is coming off an ACL, is a big body in a young midfield and has versatility to play forward.

Burgiel has had two years of injuries, robbing him of one of his main weapons-pace. Not saying he’ll be a comparable player but Shuey only played 6 games in his first two years.

Rawlinson would be replaced by Champion and to be fair probably wouldn’t have been selected had Laura bothered to do her job in a timely fashion.

Trew only has one position he can play and has shown he’s not up to it. Would rather look at Hall and hopefully flashes of Hewett in that role.

Baker has put together a couple of good Beagles games and probably deserved a look this year but I’d rather select a second rookie or keep the spot open for a train on/SSP or MSD spot next year.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we are retaining Burgiel and Culley, I'd be all in on sending both to Qatar
Seemed to work well for Yeo and Gov. The wholistic approach to training/strengthening & analysis of body movements appears to have been positive.
Unsure about 'soft cap' BS, but I'd also consider sending a representative from the S&C Dept for some intel/learnings.
Big, wealthy club...do some spends heading towards best practice.

If we are retaining Burgiel and Culley, I'd be all in on sending both to Qatar
Seemed to work well for Yeo and Gov. The wholistic approach to training/strengthening & analysis of body movements appears to have been positive.
Unsure about 'soft cap' BS, but I'd also consider sending a representative from the S&C Dept for some intel/learnings.
Big, wealthy club...do some spends heading towards best practice.
Send Hewett over as well

Really don't get the requirement for Trac, for what he would cost at his age we're just delaying the inevitable full rebuild.
What is he 26? Thats 5-6 prime years (or 4 prime, 1-2 very good) from one of the best mids in the comp . Our young mids need that sort of quality to build around and Yeo is always a concern with injury and Kelly isnt the sort of grunt mid to protect the young players. Towards the end of his tenure, we could be contending.
Granted I would not throw our 2 firsts (pick 3 + Hawks 1rd) at him for that exact reason- we still need to draft quality youngsters, but using trades such as Waterman to get it done with Hawks R1 is a reasonable compromise between complet rebuild from bottom up and injecting high quality mids via trade that can help those young mids like HR, Hewitt, Chesser et al. come through quicker. MAybe get Ryan involved as well if he would be prepared to move as JD mght not move the needle all that much.

Anywy, I dont expect that Trac would entertain a move west, just tossing around scenarios. Its all we have to live for the next 2 months (yes I consider our season finished on Sunday and we dont have any more games until next preseason)..

What is he 26? Thats 5-6 prime years (or 4 prime, 1-2 very good) from one of the best mids in the comp . Our young mids need that sort of quality to build around and Yeo is always a concern with injury and Kelly isnt the sort of grunt mid to protect the young players. Towards the end of his tenure, we could be contending.
Granted I would not throw our 2 firsts (pick 3 + Hawks 1rd) at him for that exact reason- we still need to draft quality youngsters, but using trades such as Waterman to get it done with Hawks R1 is a reasonable compromise between complet rebuild from bottom up and injecting high quality mids via trade that can help those young mids like HR, Hewitt, Chesser et al. come through quicker. MAybe get Ryan involved as well if he would be prepared to move as JD mght not move the needle all that much.

Anywy, I dont expect that Trac would entertain a move west, just tossing around scenarios. Its all we have to live for the next 2 months (yes I consider our season finished on Sunday and we dont have any more games until next preseason)..
Waterman and Barrass for Petracca? No thanks

Why?

Culley is coming off an ACL, is a big body in a young midfield and has versatility to play forward.

Burgiel has had two years of injuries, robbing him of one of his main weapons-pace. Not saying he’ll be a comparable player but Shuey only played 6 games in his first two years.

Rawlinson would be replaced by Champion and to be fair probably wouldn’t have been selected had Laura bothered to do her job in a timely fashion.

Trew only has one position he can play and has shown he’s not up to it. Would rather look at Hall and hopefully flashes of Hewett in that role.

Baker has put together a couple of good Beagles games and probably deserved a look this year but I’d rather select a second rookie or keep the spot open for a train on/SSP or MSD spot next year.
Culley has shown absolutely nothing at AFL level this year. He is too slow to play up forward and even seems too slow as inside mid at WAFL level. Wouldnt get games ahead of Maric / Hutchinson in forward line anyway. Would put Trew ahead of him.

Baker has shown far more in the WAFL this year compared to Burgiel and his body is more resilient. Cant see the justification to give Burgiel more time and not Baker.

Rawlinson is one year in and has attributes that could allow him to play a certain role at AFL.

I am feeling the depth in this year's draft is similar to 2017. Yes, the year we traded our F1 for 3 R2 Suns picks (I think they are still annoyed but more that 2018 ended up giving up pick 18).

For those cynics who think anything after an early R2 is crap. let's go back and look at picks 20 to 45

Green (14) - regular AFL player and good standard likely best 22 (Murphy I included, concussion retired him)
Yellow (3) - OK to fringe AFL player but still on a list 6 years later
Orange (9) - delisted

So a 53% hit rate for good
A 65% hit rate for still being on a list
Only 34% failure rate

6 of these players have won a flag
Of the 17 still on a list, they have played 1,689 games
3 have been named as AA

1724226427837.png

Or here is the 17 in a line up

1724227344403.png

Status