List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:

Its baffling how badly the club relationship with Barrass' seems to have broken down.

Even if he wants out and even if it turns out to be true the club has dealt with him unfairly in contract negotiations he seems to have just outright dropped his bundle with three weeks to go- is he even showing up at training?

Hard to know who is at fault but it is a really really bad look for him. He's under contract and a senior and experienced player, surely whatever has gone wrong with management and however shabbily he feels he's been treated the mature and professional thing to do is to keep showing up to work and do the job you're paid to do at least until the season ends- if for no other reason, at least out of respect and loyalty for the teammates you've played alongside for more than a decade?

It's hard to escape the feeling that something pretty nasty has gone down behind closed doors for it to get this bad.

Last edited:
Its baffling how badly the club relationship with Barrass' seems to have broken down.

Even if he wants out and even if it turns out to be true the club has dealt with him unfairly in contract negotiations he seems to have just outright dropped his bundle with three weeks to go- is he even showing up at training?

Hard to know who is at fault but it is a really really bad look for him. He's under contract and a senior and experienced player, surely whatever has gone wrong with management and however shabbily he feels he's been treated the mature and professional thing to do is to keep showing up to work and do the job you're paid to do at least until the season ends- if for no other reason, at least out of respect and loyalty for the teammates you've played alongside for more than a decade?

For things to get this toxic it seems likely that something pretty nasty has gone down behind closed doors.
If anything it points to him not wanting out but also not happy with the contract he signed

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Culley has shown absolutely nothing at AFL level this year. He is too slow to play up forward and even seems too slow as inside mid at WAFL level. Wouldnt get games ahead of Maric / Hutchinson in forward line anyway. Would put Trew ahead of him.

Baker has shown far more in the WAFL this year compared to Burgiel and his body is more resilient. Cant see the justification to give Burgiel more time and not Baker.

Rawlinson is one year in and has attributes that could allow him to play a certain role at AFL.
Culley-Fair call he’s been below average when given an opportunity but be mindful he’s coming off a mid season ACL, was showing a bit before his injury and isn’t a one dimensional player.

Baker-Was taken the same year Burgiel was, has had a good crack at it injury wise and still hasn’t played a game.

Rawlinson-What role would he play with Long, Ryan, Brockman and Champion on the list with multi year deals until at least the end of the 2026 season?

Have to say I'm baffled by how badly the club relationship with Barrass' seems to have broken down.

Even if he wants out and even if it turns out be true the club has dealt with him unfairly in contract negotiations he seems to have just outright dropped his bundle with three weeks to go is a really bad look- is he even showing up at training?

He's under contract and a senior and experienced player, surely whatever has gone wrong with management the mature and professional thing to do is to keep showing up to work and do the job you're paid to do at least until the season ends- if for no other reason, at least out of respect and loyalty for the teammates you've played alongside for more than a decade?

Hard to escape the feeling that something pretty nasty has gone down behind closed doors.
Wouldn't surprise me if the new List manager has put the foot down with the older crew.
From, what I understood there was a handshake deal with ROB that he signed on and would get a adjusted pay increase later which never happened and then when the new list manager came in that got torn up essentially.

Between the extended Yeo negotiations and this with Barrass (duggos also took a while) it certainly seems like the days of rubber stamped contracts for the boys are done.

Hard to escape the feeling that something pretty nasty has gone down behind closed doors.

From hearing him on various podcasts he is a very strong minded type of person. I think its as simple as him thinking he was promised a re-structure by the old regime and the new regime has not pulled through and he's pissy.

I hate to break it to Tom but you dont sign contracts with a side promise to increase that contract half way through or expect/demand that promises to increase contracts be adhered to. Ultimately you sign what you sign and if its not in writing, you dont have it. I think he's got very bad advice from his manager more than anything, as it sounds like he thought he was guaranteed something that was never in writing.

There's various rumblings that there is a disconnect between Tom and some of the younger players, which wouldnt suprise me. I'm not too bothered he's going if he's got an attitude and its getting worse.

Doesn’t help our bargaining position if he’s actually walked out.

It’s harder to claim “we don’t need to trade him, he’s contracted for three more years, if you don’t offer something decent we’ll just keep him” if there’s no prospect he’ll return.

It’s harder to claim “we don’t need to trade him, he’s contracted for three more years, if you don’t offer something decent we’ll just keep him” if there’s no prospect he’ll return.
Kelly stayed an extra 12 months and wanted out.
I don't think Tom is that stubborn he'd sit out 12 months if he didn't get traded.

The issue though is if he doesn't go this year his value will only diminish every year from here. so it's in everyones interest to get it done this off-season.

Culley has shown absolutely nothing at AFL level this year. He is too slow to play up forward and even seems too slow as inside mid at WAFL level. Wouldnt get games ahead of Maric / Hutchinson in forward line anyway. Would put Trew ahead of him.

Baker has shown far more in the WAFL this year compared to Burgiel and his body is more resilient. Cant see the justification to give Burgiel more time and not Baker.

Rawlinson is one year in and has attributes that could allow him to play a certain role at AFL.

Just dont see it with Rawlinson - unfortunately it doesnt look like he can kick over 40m which is a rather big issue in a deep forward role. He just wont reliably be able to hit the scoreboard. Its a shame as he has most of the other attributes he needs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kelly stayed an extra 12 months and wanted out.
I don't think Tom is that stubborn he'd sit out 12 months if he didn't get traded.

Kelly made it clear he’d stay at Geelong if a trade couldn’t be arranged. That’s been the case for a lot of trade requests/demands by contracted players. We kept Mitch Brown, for example. Papley and before that O’Keefe at Sydney are other examples.

But if the relationship has irretrievably broken down in this case, it hurts our bargaining power. We can still insist we’ll hold Barrass to his contract, but the Hawks will know we’re risking him sitting out.

Keep witho
Why though?

We know his level, and it isn't good enough for where we want to go.

If he was contracted I could understand retention for depth; but offering someone like Witho a new contract? Yeah nah.

Wouldn't surprise me if the new List manager has put the foot down with the older crew.
From, what I understood there was a handshake deal with the ROB that he signed on and would get a adjusted pay increase later which never happened and then when the new list manager came in that got torn up essentially.

Between the extended Yeo negotiations and this with Barrass (duggos also took a while) it certainly seems like the days of rubber stamped contracts for the boys are done.

If that's all it is, I would say Barrass has got every reason to be pissed. Truthfully he doesn't deserve to be put in quite the same category as Duggan or Yeo, and based on his output and what he is capable of producing right now he deserves to be taken care of.

He's a bit younger than both and until he missed these last few games he was well and truly having an AA calibre year. He'd definitely be top 5 in our B&F and has been one of the few regularly excellent performers over the horrible past few years. You could count his bad games during that time on one hand, not only is he crazy brave in how he plays his footy, I would say he's also about the most consistent player in the side- very often when we are getting flogged he's been the guy holding it together. Simply put he doesn't just have elite ability, he comes across as an absolute professional.

All of which makes the past few weeks that more difficult to understand, both in terms of his behaviour and the clubs apparent unwillingness to come to terms with him.

Hmm true but I kinda feel like it's agreed in principal.

Imagine if he sits out a year like his old mate Dardy McCarthy.

I don't want to speak ill of the dead, but far out they're a couple of odd characters.

Kelly made it clear he’d stay at Geelong if a trade couldn’t be arranged. That’s been the case for a lot of trade requests/demands by contracted players. We kept Mitch Brown, for example. Papley and before that O’Keefe at Sydney are other examples.

But if the relationship has irretrievably broken down in this case, it hurts our bargaining power. We can still insist we’ll hold Barrass to his contract, but the Hawks will know we’re risking him sitting out.
Then sit him out.

About time the Eagles stopped being soft and the good guys. Might be worth it to get some attitude and pride back.

Why though?

We know his level, and it isn't good enough for where we want to go.

If he was contracted I could understand retention for depth; but offering someone like Witho a new contract? Yeah nah.
Depth - 1yr contract

He's not the future, and ideally would see him pushed out the side next year - but he's played most games this year, is hard at it, and is generally reliable.

Kelly was a pro, just got on with it. I don’t think it will come to this but if TB were to play silly buggers I’d happily have him sitting on his arse for not 1 but 3 years held to his contract without hope of getting another contract after that rather than have him destroy his own value then trade him for unders.

From what I’ve heard the Hawks are negotiating in good faith and TB and WCE will part on amicable terms if a satisfactory trade is agreed between the clubs.

Apart from Saints getting an extra top 10 pick, it would be in our best interests for Battle and Perryman (and anyone else) to both sign big deals with the Hawks.

We can still sell him to the highest bidder though and if we don't like what is offered, he is still contracted for another three years.

It is in everyone's best interests to move on but that doesn't mean we have to or should bend over to make that happen.

Then sit him out.

About time the Eagles stopped being soft and the good guys. Might be worth it to get some attitude and pride back.
Kelly was a pro, just got on with it. I don’t think it will come to this but if TB were to play silly buggers I’d happily have him sitting on his arse for not 1 but 3 years held to his contract without hope of getting another contract after that rather than have him destroy his own value then trade him for unders.

So, in circumstances where the club has apparently identified Barrass as a way to get some valuable draft capital, you’re proposing we hold him to his contract and end up with (a) an unhappy and inactive Barrass and (b) no draft capital?

Hmm true but I kinda feel like it's agreed in principal.
That's the impression I got as well. Trade is done so he's basically finished his time at the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back