List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
So, in circumstances where the club has apparently identified Barrass as a way to get some valuable draft capital, you’re proposing we hold him to his contract and end up with (a) an unhappy and inactive Barrass and (b) no draft capital?
I’m proposing in this order of preference:
1. We trade Barrass for a price we are happy with

2. We don’t get a price we’re happy with so we hold Barrass to his contract and he behaves like a pro and gets back to work

3. We don’t get a price we’re happy with, Barrass cracks the sads and tries to force our hand and we hold him to his contract anyway to show clubs, managers and players that we won’t be bent over

If Barrass refuses to play next year, then he doesn’t get paid. With a mortgage on a Peppermint Grove property, I doubt that happens.

He could adopt a “work-to-rule” attitude in which case he might end up playing WAFL.

He could get a doctor to sign him off as unfit for work, but that’d diminish his prospects of playing elsewhere the following year.

If a deal can’t be struck I suspect the club would consider an incentive based bonus structure season by season. There’s plenty of money in the salary cap.

Kelly was a pro, just got on with it. I don’t think it will come to this but if TB were to play silly buggers I’d happily have him sitting on his arse for not 1 but 3 years held to his contract without hope of getting another contract after that rather than have him destroy his own value then trade him for unders.

From what I’ve heard the Hawks are negotiating in good faith and TB and WCE will part on amicable terms if a satisfactory trade is agreed between the clubs.

Apart from Saints getting an extra top 10 pick, it would be in our best interests for Battle and Perryman (and anyone else) to both sign big deals with the Hawks.
I find it hard to see that being the case if he even isn't turning up to the club.

Sounds like the relationship is shot.

I find it hard to see that being the case if he even isn't turning up to the club.

Sounds like the relationship is shot.
It’s not a good look but we also don’t know the circumstances around it. He may have been granted leave, docs may have said to rest after his concussion etc. I find it hard to believe he simply hasn’t shown up with a week left in his WCE career

It’s not a good look but we also don’t know the circumstances around it. He may have been granted leave, docs may have said to rest after his concussion etc. I find it hard to believe he simply hasn’t shown up with a week left in his WCE career

I think this is probably more plausible, to be honest. The trade’s all but agreed, he’s not being played because there’s no point risking him, and he’s been given a leave of absence.

Just dont see it with Rawlinson - unfortunately it doesnt look like he can kick over 40m which is a rather big issue in a deep forward role. He just wont reliably be able to hit the scoreboard. Its a shame as he has most of the other attributes he needs.
He is also 19. Will likely add distance onto his kicking. Just feel like deleting players after one year on the list is a bit pointless.

Barrass has three years to run on his contract, not one, there's no way he's sitting out three years, which effectively ends his career. If they tried to lowball the Eagles and they refused, he would get back to work or have to retire essentially.

I think this is probably more plausible, to be honest. The trade’s all but agreed, he’s not being played because there’s no point risking him, and he’s been given a leave of absence.
This is far more likely the scenario.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Depth - 1yr contract

He's not the future, and ideally would see him pushed out the side next year - but he's played most games this year, is hard at it, and is generally reliable.

Usually I’m a ‘keep B22 players until someone else pushes them out’ mindset, but in our current situation Witherden and JJ’s weaknesses are so glaring that we are better off ripping off the bandaid and finding a better option either on or outside the list.

Or find a way to merge the 2, Witherden with JJ’s pace and attacking flair (or JJ with Witherden’s kicking). That does seem the less likely option though 🤨

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Culley-Fair call he’s been below average when given an opportunity but be mindful he’s coming off a mid season ACL, was showing a bit before his injury and isn’t a one dimensional player.

Baker-Was taken the same year Burgiel was, has had a good crack at it injury wise and still hasn’t played a game.

Rawlinson-What role would he play with Long, Ryan, Brockman and Champion on the list with multi year deals until at least the end of the 2026 season?
Culley doesn't have any dimensions at AFL as it currently stands let alone being multi-dimensional. Culley may have made it prior to his injury but he is even slower and less agile now. Is that really going to change? Trew has at least shows he can compete this year.

Is it Bakers fault he hasnt been picked? Burgiels done his hamstrings like five times and has been pretty bad whenever played this year. Why get rid of the healthy guy who has actually shown something?

I dont feel that strongly on rawlinson but most teams play up to four small forwards in their starting team. You need 7-8 on the list overall. The only lock to be a gun out of those three named is Ryan.

Culley doesn't have any dimensions at AFL as it currently stands let alone being multi-dimensional. Culley may have made it prior to his injury but he is even slower and less agile now. Is that really going to change? Trew has at least shows he can compete this year.

Is it Bakers fault he hasnt been picked? Burgiels done his hamstrings like five times and has been pretty bad whenever played this year. Why get rid of the healthy guy who has actually shown something?

I dont feel that strongly on rawlinson but most teams play up to four small forwards in their starting team. You need 7-8 on the list overall. The only lock to be a gun out of those three named is Ryan.
I’ve posted before that his speed won’t change and I agree with you that’s what’s limiting him as a player. You can’t teach speed but I still think he offers more than Trew with our list. In saying that if he’s delisted I wouldn’t lose sleep over it.

Players are picked on merit and he hasn’t produced a performance that makes him a walk up start. In saying that I agree the credits crew didn’t do him any favours in what should have been a development year.

7-8 small forwards on a list? Can’t say I share your view there. Ryan, Long, Brockman and Champion would be plenty.

If Barrass refuses to play next year, then he doesn’t get paid. With a mortgage on a Peppermint Grove property, I doubt that happens.

He could adopt a “work-to-rule” attitude in which case he might end up playing WAFL.

He could get a doctor to sign him off as unfit for work, but that’d diminish his prospects of playing elsewhere the following year.

If a deal can’t be struck I suspect the club would consider an incentive based bonus structure season by season. There’s plenty of money in the salary cap.

images

Culley and Burgiel are both getting delisted as soon as this season is over and I'm willing to put money on it

They may both get delisted but I’m not sure it’ll be as abrupt as that.

For one, Culley’s manager has stated a deal is close to being finalised which might just be manager spin but it’s an indicator a decision on his future by the club has been made just yet

Secondly, how deep we cut our list will be largely dependant on how many players we trade either in or out - as it stands we only have 3 usable draft picks (3,23,59) so cutting 10 players before any trades leaves us picking 7 players beyond pick 59 in the main draft or the rookie draft

Most, if not all, of our delistings are likely to be held off until closer to, or after, trade period

They may both get delisted but I’m not sure it’ll be as abrupt as that.

For one, Culley’s manager has stated a deal is close to being finalised which might just be manager spin but it’s an indicator a decision on his future by the club has been made just yet

Secondly, how deep we cut our list will be largely dependant on how many players we trade either in or out - as it stands we only have 3 usable draft picks (3,23,59) so cutting 10 players before any trades leaves us picking 7 players beyond pick 59 in the main draft or the rookie draft

Most, if not all, of our delistings are likely to be held off until closer to, or after, trade period

Understand that, but as far as I'm aware Culley is still on the rookie list. Replacing him wouldn't require a national draft pick, and we are still 1 player over the cap with the inclusion of Hutchinson.

Think we can all agree that at the very least Burgiel is either gone or (a remote possibility) is shifted to the rookie list on a 1 year contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back