List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
Understand that, but as far as I'm aware Culley is still on the rookie list. Replacing him wouldn't require a national draft pick, and we are still 1 player over the cap with the inclusion of Hutchinson.

Think we can all agree that at the very least Burgiel is either gone or (a remote possibility) is shifted to the rookie list on a 1 year contract
Culley would have to be transferred to the main list after having done 2022-2024 on the rookie list. He’s also played too many games to meet the new extension criterion so as far as I can tell we’d need to seek an exemption for him to remain on the rookie list.

Understand that, but as far as I'm aware Culley is still on the rookie list. Replacing him wouldn't require a national draft pick, and we are still 1 player over the cap with the inclusion of Hutchinson.

Think we can all agree that at the very least Burgiel is either gone or (a remote possibility) is shifted to the rookie list on a 1 year contract

Gaff has retired so we are no longer one player over

If Culley goes we’re replacing him with a draft pick via the main draft or the rookie draft. Either way, it’s still a very late pick

Burgiel being delisted is going to be based on his medical report. He has the ability but, so far, not the durability. I don’t think it’s a given he gets delisted

Culley would have to be transferred to the main list after having done 2022-2024 on the rookie list. He’s also played too many games to meet the new extension criterion so as far as I can tell we’d need to seek an exemption for him to remain on the rookie list.

I mean he is presently (in 2024) still on the rookie list

Burgiel being delisted is going to be based on his medical report. He has the ability but, so far, not the durability. I don’t think it’s a given he gets delisted

A player that still hasn't debuted and put out a 1 disposal game last week is definitely on the delist pile and he most likely already knows it

Why?

Culley is coming off an ACL, is a big body in a young midfield and has versatility to play forward.

Burgiel has had two years of injuries, robbing him of one of his main weapons-pace. Not saying he’ll be a comparable player but Shuey only played 6 games in his first two years.

Rawlinson would be replaced by Champion and to be fair probably wouldn’t have been selected had Laura bothered to do her job in a timely fashion.

Trew only has one position he can play and has shown he’s not up to it. Would rather look at Hall and hopefully flashes of Hewett in that role.

Baker has put together a couple of good Beagles games and probably deserved a look this year but I’d rather select a second rookie or keep the spot open for a train on/SSP or MSD spot next year.
I would like to keep Culley and burgeil.

A second full preseason away from an ACL always makes more gains in speed and endurance.

Burgeil has some qualities on field that would be worth another crack at it. I just don't want to delist a 20yo with talent BC of injury and then in 12 months have that player get 30 and kick 2 on us....that would be cliche eagles right there.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

I’ve searched a few times without success on whether Culley needs to be promoted to the main list

What you’ve written is correct but my understanding (which I haven’t been able to confirm) is that the year mid season draftees are selected doesn’t count as a year on the rookie list

The closest I’ve got is the new arrangements for extending a player who has played less than 10 games talks about it being possible for a player to spend 5.5 years on the rookie list. On that basis, Culley would be able to spend 3.5 years as a rookie and has one year of eligibility left

A second full preseason away from an ACL always makes more gains in speed and endurance.

Burgeil has some qualities on field that would be worth another crack at it. I just don't want to delist a 20yo with talent BC of injury and then in 12 months have that player get 30 and kick 2 on us....that would be cliche eagles right there.

What delisted player has ever done that against us?

I agree. Burgiel IMO would be the last to be cut and Culley the second last. I’m comfortable having both on the list and a spare rookie spot for the MSD/SSP but if we trade a few picks in and need the space for players we’ve identified I’d be reluctantly ok with Culley being moved on but really want Burgiel to be given one more year to crack in. As a few have mentioned a visit to some different exercise and physiology environments might be helpful for his career.

I’ve listened to the Gettable episode with Culley’s manager and i didn’t feel a new deal was imminent or definite. All he said was that talks were positive at this stage. He didn’t elaborate any further and I felt it was just a throw away line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve searched a few times without success on whether Culley needs to be promoted to the main list

What you’ve written is correct but my understanding (which I haven’t been able to confirm) is that the year mid season draftees are selected doesn’t count as a year on the rookie list

The closest I’ve got is the new arrangements for extending a player who has played less than 10 games talks about it being possible for a player to spend 5.5 years on the rookie list. On that basis, Culley would be able to spend 3.5 years as a rookie and has one year of eligibility left
Neither can I. Laura’s mid season update without explicitly saying it seems to imply that it’s 3.5 years but barring the COVID and other exemptions I can’t find an example of a player being on a rookie list for 3.5 years or more. Maybe three years is historically long enough to decide to either elevate them or that they’re not worth persisting with.

We seem to do a lot of things poorly

Kelly - “happy to stay at Geelong if a trade can’t be done”

Means we have to pay over the offs

Barrass - from what it looks like, we’ve already parted ways

Despite being contracted for 3 years, it doesn’t look like we’re going to get top dollar

A player that still hasn't debuted and put out a 1 disposal game last week is definitely on the delist pile and he most likely already knows it

In (a lukewarm) defence of his 1 possession game, apparently he played forward and the ball was barely down there. He was also on managed minutes.

I’ve still got him as a delisting.

In (a lukewarm) defence of his 1 possession game, apparently he played forward and the ball was barely down there. He was also on managed minutes.

I’ve still got him as a delisting.
Would be the only time he’s played forward and hasn’t kicked a bag.

Doesn’t help our bargaining position if he’s actually walked out.

It’s harder to claim “we don’t need to trade him, he’s contracted for three more years, if you don’t offer something decent we’ll just keep him” if there’s no prospect he’ll return.
Can't see how this really weakens our position.
It's not like Brander being out of contract and us letting him walk for free.

Even when their former clubs publically signalled that they wanted Stringer and Treloar to look elsewhere, they still got reasonable deals, albeit at the last minute.
I would assume there was no prospect of letting them go cheap, although the respective clubs had even less bargaining power as they wanted them gone, with their relationship irreparably strained for different reasons.
For Tom Barrass, he actually has plenty of suiters, not just Hawthorn, and we aren't the ones to offer him up to interested parties. He is seemingly the one looking around for a better deal.

We would have every right to hold Barrass to see contract if an acceptable trade is not achieved, and I believe Barrass would be a mature enough person to continue playing with us under the contract he had signed unless there was a verbal agreement that his contract would be re-negotiated and we blatantly reneged on it.

Last edited:
I like the call of ick 38 for JD + half his salary.
That makes sense for everyone.

I really feel for the senior players who have sacrificed their bodies and bled for the club over the last decade.

It's an exciting time for us but horrid for them...I really hope they earn good money out of any change (which they most likely will...It's a win for the club and player in that regard)

Thank you for everything guys....It's been a pleasure.

Why would you feel sorry for them? They are a fair part of the reason we are where we are at and have been really well paid for picking and choosing since round one 2019 when they turn up and when they don’t for work..

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Yeah I'm in the get JD to 300 camp.

Unless someone offers something crazy like 1st rounder

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Why is it so important for him to get to 300 games??
Sumich has this angle right with Gaff and he would with Darling.. these guys should have been dropped and moved on 30-40 games ago, they have for the past 30-40 games been gifted those games which only gets them near that marker and been well paid for it.. they have been gifted enough

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back