List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a wide range of condition between sore back and crippled.

People make it sound like you either have a perfect back or are f-ed. Half the players would have bulging disks.
This is true, and with Barrass, his back is ok if he isn't immobile.. This is where a Vic move will help him immensely. Less time sitting on a plane (and who knows if we even had a spare business class seat for him)
I also can’t see Jones, rotham, long, Edwards, hewett, jamieson, brockman or sheed.
So it appears the whole rehab group missing except Gov
This makes far too much sense. Geez, 2 pages, people suddenly shitting on Tommy B, forcing him to sit out the rest of his contract.. Such drama.

Can anyone jail break this?
https://archive.md/uL6fb
"West Coast have tabled a contract to breakout star Jake Waterman that will lock him away until the end of 2028, The West Australian understands.
It is believed Waterman has been offered a re-structured deal by the Eagles that will extend his contract by three seasons, having already been on a deal that was set to expire at the end of next year.
It comes on the back of interest from Victorian clubs, including Melbourne who are believed to be willing to offer the son-of-a-gun a five-year deal to partner fellow Claremont product Jacob van Rooyen at the Demons...."

The rest is fluff.

I initially read the headline as 'Eagles offer up Waterman to Demons'

Was furious for half a second.
2 other posters on the other hand...
Never Mind Baby GIF

If that's all it is, I would say Barrass has got every reason to be pissed. Truthfully he doesn't deserve to be put in quite the same category as Duggan or Yeo, and based on his output and what he is capable of producing right now he deserves to be taken care of.

He's a bit younger than both and until he missed these last few games he was well and truly having an AA calibre year. He'd definitely be top 5 in our B&F and has been one of the few regularly excellent performers over the horrible past few years. You could count his bad games during that time on one hand, not only is he crazy brave in how he plays his footy, I would say he's also about the most consistent player in the side- very often when we are getting flogged he's been the guy holding it together. Simply put he doesn't just have elite ability, he comes across as an absolute professional.

All of which makes the past few weeks that more difficult to understand, both in terms of his behaviour and the clubs apparent unwillingness to come to terms with him.
From my understanding his Manager advised Barrass not to sign such a long contract at the time and also at the time of signing it wasn’t such a bad deal - just that things have changed since. I think I read recently somewhere also that Barrass didn’t really want to leave however realises if he wants more coin he would have to look elsewhere.

I also can’t see Jones, rotham, long, Edwards, hewett, jamieson, brockman or sheed.
So it appears the whole rehab group missing except Gov

Geez we're really loading up on this Hawthorn trade.

I’m proposing in this order of preference:
1. We trade Barrass for a price we are happy with

2. We don’t get a price we’re happy with so we hold Barrass to his contract and he behaves like a pro and gets back to work

3. We don’t get a price we’re happy with, Barrass cracks the sads and tries to force our hand and we hold him to his contract anyway to show clubs, managers and players that we won’t be bent over
How does that help? The reason we would be holding him to his contract would be that another club refused to increase what the maximum they were prepared to pay was. What lesson would other clubs draw from that, that would induce them to offer more than their maximum next time? The only lesson I see clubs drawing would be that, West Coast cannot force you to go above your walk away point.

This gives us an unhappy and unproductive player, and nothing else. No, lessons, no increase in power for the next negotiation. No club negotiating with us is going to give a shit what happened to Barrass, when it comes to them setting their walk away point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How does that help? The reason we would be holding him to his contract would be that another club refused to increase what the maximum they were prepared to pay was. What lesson would other clubs draw from that, that would induce them to offer more than their maximum next time? The only lesson I see clubs drawing would be that, West Coast cannot force you to go above your walk away point.

This gives us an unhappy and unproductive player, and nothing else. No, lessons, no increase in power for the next negotiation. No club negotiating with us is going to give a shit what happened to Barrass, when it comes to them setting their walk away point.
No the reason we’d be holding him to his contract is that he’s more valuable to us than loose change. You think if Hawthorn’s final offer is DGB and a 2nd rounder we should just cut our losses and accept it because that’s their “walk away point”?

Burgeil has some qualities on field that would be worth another crack at it. I just don't want to delist a 20yo with talent BC of injury and then in 12 months have that player get 30 and kick 2 on us....that would be cliche eagles right there.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
Would it though?

I’m not defending our drafting record, but everyone on every board spends hours hand wringing over their last few list spots and most of these guys are never heard from again.

Luke Partington, Matt Allen, Izzy Winder, these guys were all destined to make us look stupid and…disappeared from the AFL landscape for all intents and purposes.

Would it though?

I’m not defending our drafting record, but everyone on every board spends hours hand wringing over their last few list spots and most of these guys are never heard from again.

Luke Partington, Matt Allen, Izzy Winder, these guys were all destined to make us look stupid and…disappeared from the AFL landscape for all intents and purposes.
To be fair the first two put up very very good stats in the SANFL for long period of time. Those guys should have stayed on the list over others.

Winder has absolutely dominated WAFL this year. Been far better than any of our current wafl players.

I’ve posted before that his speed won’t change and I agree with you that’s what’s limiting him as a player. You can’t teach speed but I still think he offers more than Trew with our list. In saying that if he’s delisted I wouldn’t lose sleep over it.

Players are picked on merit and he hasn’t produced a performance that makes him a walk up start. In saying that I agree the credits crew didn’t do him any favours in what should have been a development year.

7-8 small forwards on a list? Can’t say I share your view there. Ryan, Long, Brockman and Champion would be plenty.
Trew has actually performed as an inside mid at afl level. Culley has not. It’s as simple as that imo.

I’m confused why you don’t agree? On the weekend we played three on the field and one as the sub. Arguably one of the talls should be a small forward. That’s four small forwards in the starting 22. Strange that you think we need more than four across the whole list.

If we trade him for under his value when we hold the whip hand ie he is contracted for three years, then other clubs will get the message and probably already have the message that we are weak in trade negotiations and will cave for under value trades if a little pressure is applied.

We have to have a minimum trade value for Barrass and that is definitely more than one pick around 12 - 15.
Talk of someone like DGB being involved as Hawthorn supporters like to bring up is just sheer nonsense.

Hawthorn or another team need to come up with an enticing trade or we should just walk away from it and try and mend the fences with Barrass. If Hawthorn don’t have the money to buy Barrass or don’t want to spend their money we should look at other potential suitors, and there could be a few of these.

Last edited:
Trew has actually performed as an inside mid at afl level. Culley has not. It’s as simple as that imo.

I’m confused why you don’t agree? On the weekend we played three on the field and one as the sub. Arguably one of the talls should be a small forward. That’s four small forwards in the starting 22. Strange that you think we need more than four across the whole list.
Trew has had one or two games with decent numbers. That’s it, nothing to me suggests he can be a consistent afl level inside mid.

Petch is 188cm and spends time in the midfield. He’s not a small forward. Cripps is 184cm, Dewar is 185cm and both play further up the ground as high HFFs. They are not small forwards, they are medium forwards at best. Your last sentence doesn’t make any sense in the context of your argument.

Kosi Pickett 171cm is a small forward
Champion 172cm is a small forward
Long 179cm can play as a small forward

Liam Ryan was the only small forward in the team on the weekend so yes, four main list small forwards out of 38 is more than enough.

I’ve searched a few times without success on whether Culley needs to be promoted to the main list

What you’ve written is correct but my understanding (which I haven’t been able to confirm) is that the year mid season draftees are selected doesn’t count as a year on the rookie list

The closest I’ve got is the new arrangements for extending a player who has played less than 10 games talks about it being possible for a player to spend 5.5 years on the rookie list. On that basis, Culley would be able to spend 3.5 years as a rookie and has one year of eligibility left
This is correct.

If we trade him for under his value when we hold the whip hand ie he is contracted for three years, then other clubs will get the message and probably already have the message that we are weak in trade negotiations and will cave for under value trades if a little pressure is applied.

We have to have a minimum trade value for Barrass and that is definitely more than one pick around 12 - 15.

Disagree to some degree that we hold the whip hand.

He’s contracted- so yes we do- but also we are in DESPERATE need to bring in more picks to assist our rebuild.

We’re far more desperate for picks than we are to retain TB.

Retaining TB does absolutely nothing for us.

On the flip side- Hawks are desperate for a quality KPD. And KPD’s of Barrass’s quality are rare in the trade market these days.

It’s a bit of both, and is more than just whether he is contracted or not.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Would it though?

Burgiel’s talent is undeniable. He’s fast, very damaging by foot. It’s just about whether he can put it all together.

You give someone like Burgiel more than 2 years to try and figure it out.

It was said by the coaches early this year that he would have debuted if he didn’t have his appendicitis.

To be fair the first two put up very very good stats in the SANFL for long period of time. Those guys should have stayed on the list over others.

Winder has absolutely dominated WAFL this year. Been far better than any of our current wafl players.

Winder coming good after we had delisted him? Yeah, that sounds about right.

https://archive.md/uL6fb
"West Coast have tabled a contract to breakout star Jake Waterman that will lock him away until the end of 2028, The West Australian understands.
It is believed Waterman has been offered a re-structured deal by the Eagles that will extend his contract by three seasons, having already been on a deal that was set to expire at the end of next year.
It comes on the back of interest from Victorian clubs, including Melbourne who are believed to be willing to offer the son-of-a-gun a five-year deal to partner fellow Claremont product Jacob van Rooyen at the Demons...."

The rest is fluff.
Waterman for Demons pick 8. Thanks and done.

We can send them back something in the later rounds if required. Though not sure it is. They need to keep Petracca and co happy, and the best way to do that is to go in on a key forward who is actually decent. Waterman is their best option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back