List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
Im also wary of hitting one draft hard. Shows impatience a bit. North Melbourne had 2 seasons where they have bought in 13 new players in each. Not a fan of going that hard at it. Id rather give Chesser one last go then move him on for example

Im also wary of hitting one draft hard. Shows impatience a bit. North Melbourne had 2 seasons where they have bought in 13 new players in each. Not a fan of going that hard at it. Id rather give Chesser one last go then move him on for example

One draft hard?

We’ve been hitting the draft with 4-5 picks every year since 2021.

One or two games of decent numbers is one or two more than Culley.

I mean if you want to distinguish small forwards and HFFs on arbitrary things sure. I think its pointless tho because essentially all of those players can play both roles. Dividing those players based on height is just weird. Dewar could play as a 'small forward' and Long could play as a "HFF". Ryan can play both. Cripps can play both. Rawlinson is more a HFF anyway.
Culley kicked 4 goals in a match then did his ACL. As I said I won’t lose sleep if he’s cut but I’d keep him before I kept Trew. You obviously think otherwise and that’s fine.

They’re divided into small, medium and tall forwards. You can’t lump the role Cripps plays with the role a Willie Rioli played in our flag year for example. If you asked Cripps to do what Willie did and Willie to do what Cripps did we’d be f**ked.

Just because they aren’t 190cm+ and play in the forward line, it doesn’t make them a small forward.

If you asked Cripps to do what Willie did and Willie to do what Cripps did we’d be f**ked.

Or asking Brander/Hunt/Chesser/Trew/Edwards/Hall to do what the great Chris Masten did effortlessly and jubilantly.

pulp fiction gimp GIF

Culley kicked 4 goals in a match then did his ACL. As I said I won’t lose sleep if he’s cut but I’d keep him before I kept Trew. You obviously think otherwise and that’s fine.

They’re divided into small, medium and tall forwards. You can’t lump the role Cripps plays with the role a Willie Rioli played in our flag year for example. If you asked Cripps to do what Willie did and Willie to do what Cripps did we’d be f**ked.

Just because they aren’t 190cm+ and play in the forward line, it doesn’t make them a small forward.
Culley did that as a forward. He clearly isnt going to be a forward at AFL level so irrelevant.

What are you talking about? Willie played up the ground plenty for us and has done for port. This arbitrary division between small and medium forwards isnt a thing hahaha. Cripps can play up the ground and he can play closer to goal. The vast majority of our non key position forwards can.

I’d agree with that. I think Baker has shown enough to stay on rookie list.

I don’t think it’s an either/or though.

If we delist one and keep Rotham or Jones I’d be furious.
Yeah I dont think it has to be both either. This whole discussion point started because I said I would retain Baker over Burgiel.

I think we are past doing that. Jones and Rotham will both be gone.

All i know is if a desperate team wants to hit us up for a player at the peak of his worth after a purple patch season and pay a premium, i'm considering it.

Depends on the offer. Waterman just booted 50+ goals, i'm not suggesting letting him go for a pack of twisties.

Like Barrass though, if a team comes sniffing and we can accelerate our rebuild.... :shrug:

FWIW i think he'll sign on again any day now. The whole idea of him being traded was always an unlikely one for mine.

List changes at an absolute minimum-

Barrass traded out for Hawthorn’s R1 which likely sits between 11-14 plus some sort of exchange involving future picks. I think Hawthorn will want to keep the Collingwood R2 they hold to maintain at least a foothold in this draft since their next pick is a R4 tied to Carlton

Gives us say 3,13,23 to take to the draft plus pick 59 for Champion.

Need to delist 3 players in addition to Barrass being traded out to open up the necessary list spots- Rotham, Jones and Luke Edwards

For better or worse, it looks likely we land Graham as a FA and I suspect we’ll secure at least one of our other targets. Maybe 2

So 2 or 3 more spots have to be opened up from -

Witherden
Trew
Culley
Burgiel
Baker
Rawlinson
Livingstone

who are all out of contract

Of those who remain we need to decide if we’re better keeping or using a late draft/rookie pick to replace them

*I’ve ignored any other possible trades out as the player traded creates a list spot for the pick we receive

All i know is if a desperate team wants to hit us up for a player at the peak of his worth after a purple patch season and pay a premium, i'm considering it.

Depends on the offer. Waterman just booted 50+ goals, i'm not suggesting letting him go for a pack of twisties.

Like Barrass though, if a team comes sniffing and we can accelerate our rebuild.... :shrug:

FWIW i think he'll sign on again any day now. The whole idea of him being traded was always an unlikely one for mine.
i dont want to really bring this up....

but i will....

if a club came to us with two top 10 picks for Allen, id do the trade. Love allen, quality player....but our midfield dynamic is so flipping putrid we need to fix it and we do have a surplus of tall forwards.

List changes at an absolute minimum-

Barrass traded out for Hawthorn’s R1 which likely sits between 11-14 plus some sort of exchange involving future picks. I think Hawthorn will want to keep the Collingwood R2 they hold to maintain at least a foothold in this draft since their next pick is a R4 tied to Carlton

Gives us say 3,13,23 to take to the draft plus pick 59 for Champion.

Need to delist 3 players in addition to Barrass being traded out to open up the necessary list spots- Rotham, Jones and Luke Edwards

For better or worse, it looks likely we land Graham as a FA and I suspect we’ll secure at least one of our other targets. Maybe 2

So 2 or 3 more spots have to be opened up from -

Witherden
Trew
Culley
Burgiel
Baker
Rawlinson
Livingstone

who are all out of contract

Of those who remain we need to decide if we’re better keeping or using a late draft/rookie pick to replace them

*I’ve ignored any other possible trades out as the player traded creates a list spot for the pick we receive
Add Gaff as an out too

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What Hawks did is look at their list- understand they have young mids that need to be given opportunity, and they freed up positions on the ground so they could play at AFL level.

O’Meara and Mitchell leaving gave them collateral to get Meek and Weddle- two of their best players this year, and opened up opportunities for Day and Newcombe to play midfield, two more of their best players this year.

Let’s not forget everyone was screaming from the hilltops that Hawks were making list decisions to deliberately tank for Harley.

It’s turned out very well for them - and turned out well for Mitchell (jury is out on JOM).
Let’s see if it’s sustained success. (Or win the flag this year)

Sounds like what we are doing with TB? Have a ready made player to come in and fill that role. Not sure we have that anywhere else on our depth chart.

Wonder if the spate of retirements at Richmond will change their trade/movement plans for Graham, Baker, Rioli and Bolton

They've lost 4 players to retirement already, and they haven't even started their delistments yet.

I'm not saying trade waterman but pick 8 isn't enough? Wow

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Would Pick 8 plus more rate Waterman above Jeremy Cameron?

Geelong sent Gold Coast’s future first round selection acquired in 2019 (pick 15), West Coast’s future first round pick acquired in the Tim Kelly trade (pick 18), and their own first pick of the draft (pick 25) to GWS along with a future fourth rounder.

In return they got Jeremy Cameron and two future second round picks.

Wonder if the spate of retirements at Richmond will change their trade/movement plans for Graham, Baker, Rioli and Bolton

They've lost 4 players to retirement already, and they haven't even started their delistments yet.

I'm sure it's all part of their strategy

Culley did that as a forward. He clearly isnt going to be a forward at AFL level so irrelevant.

What are you talking about? Willie played up the ground plenty for us and has done for port. This arbitrary division between small and medium forwards isnt a thing hahaha. Cripps can play up the ground and he can play closer to goal. The vast majority of our non key position forwards can.

1724302775829.jpeg

It’s also pretty ignorant to say Culley’s performance as a forward is irrelevant when it’s one of the roles he plays along with midfield.

They had to know about the retiring players.

I think they'd be open to keeping Graham, Baker, Rioli and Bolton, but they all want to leave. They will try and extract top dollar for them where they can, but it's time for them to referesh and adding three more first round draft picks for Baker, Bolton and Rioli, will help that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back