List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
Why is there no talk about delisting or trading Chesser in the chat. I have heard he wants to head home to Vic.

He's contracted for next year, so don't think he will be delisted.

We'd also be selling at his lowest point if we were to trade him

If Culley kicking 4 goals once means we should keep him on for another year, does Petch kicking 6 goals once mean he gets an 18 month extension?

Because he's done all of this with Oscar Allen out of the side.

Different kettle of fish when he hasn't been the man up forward, and unfortunately that isn't going to change.

I like Jake, been probably my favourite player this year. But i do think we need to cash in on his purple patch/breakout year whilst we can, before his output goes back to pre 2024 Jake levels.

18 goals from 8 games since Allen returned. Ave 2.25

33 goals from 11 games prior to Allen. Ave 3

That's what... 25% drop?

His ranking point output over that period has also dropped from 96ppg pre allen to 64ppg.

Waterman was third string to JK and Darling.

Then third string to Allen and Darling.

He hit top form when Allen was out and he and Darling were the two senior forwards.

Next year it will be Allen and Waterman 1 ...2.

Darling phased out or playing elsewhere. That is what will change.

So the change is Waterman will permanently become the top 2 talls we go through. He no longer will be third or forth string in attack

The only reason we can consider the possibility of trading Waterman (192cm) is our current team makeup

Oscar Allen - 196cm a star. Younger and a longer record of performance than Waterman
Jack Williams - 198cm Could see him kicking 30+ goals next year (at age 21 season) if Waterman was gone.
Bailey Williams - 201cm if we are going to play Flynn and Williams he needs to play forward more. Can't do that if Waterman, Allen and Williams are up forward.
Archer Reid - 203cm has potential to be something, needs to play some AFL next year, which is possible if Waterman is gone.
Ryan Maric - 196cm - he's shown talent up the ground on the wing, but think he could be a hyper mobile goal kicking CHF as he gets stronger and develops.

So in short, key forward is an area we are stacked with. All are younger and taller than Waterman.
If Bailey Williams is in the mix for a reason for trading Waterman, then we might as well fold the club.

Lukosious and Rachele trade with some picks. Watch this space.
I reckon throw Rioli in there. Perfect for the Tigers age range and don’t have to go full team of 18yo. Also maybe target Hobbs and Tsatas with some of the picks they get.

Richmond - Rachelle
Adelaide - Lukosius
GC- Rioli

With some picks thrown in to even it out

Waterman has improved immensely from 12 months ago. He’s not only added a lot of endurance but been able to add body strength at the same time which eliminated his biggest weakness of routinely making a marking effort, falling over and having no further impact on the contest.

He now more often that not wins the contest or, at the very least, puts in a very competitive second effort.

To do this coming back from colitis is impressive and shows what can be done with dedication over an offseason and while it means it hard to let him go it also means he’s valuable as a trade.

With that said, given depth at tall forward and the likelihood of our next premiership tilt taking >4 years, I’d be on the side of accepting a deal of pick 8 (travaglia) and McVee for waterman and a future third. That’s an 18 and 21 year old I’m extremely confident of having successful afl careers for 10+ years.

A 2024 haul of Draper, Travaglia, Lindsay and McVee means we’re a CHB away from completing the backline including superseding Duggan and Cole out of it with more damaging players and we have Travaglia, Lindsay, Johnston, Maric fighting for 1 HBF and 2 wing position. We draft best available KPD with our 2nd rounder this year.

All of sudden we dont need Jack Graham anymore as Duggan can play a full time defensive mid role rotating off the bench.

We could also pursue trades for chesser, Cole, Bailey Williams for any currency that would help securing one of knobel/reidy.

Hough Hedwards McVee
Ginbey 2024R2/Barnett Travaglia
Johnston Reid Lindsay
Hutchinson Reid Long
Jilliams Allen Dewar/Champion
Knobel Draper Hewett/2025R1

Maric Duggan Hall bazzo Brockman Burgiel 2025R2

If this doesn’t happen, we get snake for another 6-7 years which is a fine result also.

I reckon throw Rioli in there. Perfect for the Tigers age range and don’t have to go full of 18yo. Maybe a Hobbs and Tsatas with some of the picks they get.

Richmond - Rachelle
Adelaide - Lukosius
GC- Rioli

With some picks thrown in to even it out
Not a bad shout. Depends on where Rachele wants to go. If Vic then it’s definitely an option. Pretty sure his folks are in the Goldie and the place would suit his…

Extroverted nature.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not a bad shout. Depends on where Rachele wants to go. Pretty sure his folks are in the Goldie and the place would suit his…

Extroverted nature.
Yeah, heard he has links there. Good fit for them too.

Personally don’t think Richmond go full 18yo and will target the 20-22yo with some of the picks.

List changes at an absolute minimum-

Barrass traded out for Hawthorn’s R1 which likely sits between 11-14 plus some sort of exchange involving future picks. I think Hawthorn will want to keep the Collingwood R2 they hold to maintain at least a foothold in this draft since their next pick is a R4 tied to Carlton

Gives us say 3,13,23 to take to the draft plus pick 59 for Champion.

Need to delist 3 players in addition to Barrass being traded out to open up the necessary list spots- Rotham, Jones and Luke Edwards

For better or worse, it looks likely we land Graham as a FA and I suspect we’ll secure at least one of our other targets. Maybe 2

So 2 or 3 more spots have to be opened up from -

Witherden
Trew
Culley
Burgiel
Baker
Rawlinson
Livingstone

who are all out of contract

Of those who remain we need to decide if we’re better keeping or using a late draft/rookie pick to replace them

*I’ve ignored any other possible trades out as the player traded creates a list spot for the pick we receive

Wow, how depressing is this scenario.....

5 wins max again next year.

If Culley kicking 4 goals once means we should keep him on for another year, does Petch kicking 6 goals once mean he gets an 18 month extension?
No because Petro has played 87 games, Culley 12.

These 60+ game mediocre players are just list cloggers. Or they mentor in the Beagles if contracted.

Players like Petro, even if currently best 23, are taking us nowhere. Better to bring in ‘kids’ that might, with time, be better than mediocre.

Playing with that four-way trade that was posted a couple of days ago and including Freo in the deal:

Hawks give: 12, F1
Hawks gain: Barrass

GC give: 5, 13
GC gain: Rioli, F1

WCE give: Barrass, 23
WCE gain: Baker, 9, 13

Rich give: Rioli, Baker, Bolton
Rich gain: 5, 10, 12

Freo give: 9, 10
Freo gain: Bolton, 23

Who’ve I ripped off?

One or two games of decent numbers is one or two more than Culley.

I mean if you want to distinguish small forwards and HFFs on arbitrary things sure. I think its pointless tho because essentially all of those players can play both roles. Dividing those players based on height is just weird. Dewar could play as a 'small forward' and Long could play as a "HFF". Ryan can play both. Cripps can play both. Rawlinson is more a HFF anyway.

Zane Trew is a year older than Culley and doesn’t lead him in many stat averages at all (noting time on ground also has Culley ahead by about 9% so that needs to be considered).

The biggest problem is role. Trew is an attacking mid, we have about 5 better options currently in a terrible midfield.

Culley is more a defensive mid, probably doesn’t make it but he’s almost on his own in that category (Yeo probably needs to revisit his tagging days, and Graham is looking a possible signing).

So for me Trew and Culley are somewhat similar in standing, but re-signing Trew would be a much worse decision for squad balance (not losing sleep if both go).

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Wow, how depressing is this scenario.....

5 wins max again next year.
Worst case should be 5 without injury crisis.

5 wins this year and raising our talent floor.
-Replacing the bottom 6-8 of our starting 23. (Hewett, Sid*, Lindsay*, Graham, Garcia, Peatling*, Baker)
-new game plan and standards
-Huge preseason from Flynn.
-Growth from Ginbey, JWill, Harley and Co.

You’d hope 7-8 wins next year

Playing with that four-way trade that was posted a couple of days ago and including Freo in the deal:

Who’ve I ripped off?
Hawks imo.

It’s pretty good

Last edited:

Who’ve I ripped off?

I reckon this is the best proposal I’ve seen. Can’t really see any club being disappointed. Maybe some 3rd and/or 4th round swaps to give a tiny bit more to Freo and Hawthorn and we’re good to go.

First rule of trade. Sell at a time when player is at their highest value for the next few years.

1) Barrass - He commands a R1 pick now. It only diminishes from here on out. Do it

2) L Ryan - Trade value diminishing by season. Get what you can for him. One more year like 2024 and he'll be worthless.

3) Darling - adds zilch to the future. You get something for him now, next year he walks for free.

4) B Williams - strangely still has currency according to other fans. Grab that bag of half eaten twisties and replace him with the best (and better than him) WAFL ruckman for depth.

5) Hutchinson - leverage that high mid-year selection and try an offload. He's no KF at 190 and won't have value when he plays WAFL all next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back