List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
From McGuane at the Herald Sun.

I wouldn't have thought so Mickey.
Bolton is not a good fit for us and would cost too much.

WEST COAST
All indications are that key defender Tom Barrass is headed for the door, but the Eagles could potentially have some good players come back the other way.

Former Richmond recruiting manager Matt Clarke is now list boss at West Coast and should push hard to secure Tigers star Shai Bolton as he seeks to return home to Western Australia.
Bolton is still only 25 and could team up with Liam Ryan in the forward line to provide a real spark for the Eagles.

West Coast had its eyes on Western Bulldogs ruckman Tim English, but his decision to stay at Whitten Oval might mean they have to get creative in that area.

Why not try and bring Brisbane’s Darcy Fort west?
He’s got one year remaining on a deal at the Lions, but has only played two games this season as he sits behind Oscar McInerney in the pecking order.

Williams is a competitor but is undersized so is not the player you want in the No. 1 ruck role when you are trying to develop your midfield.

Playing with that four-way trade that was posted a couple of days ago and including Freo in the deal:

Hawks give: 12, F1
Hawks gain: Barrass

GC give: 5, 13
GC gain: Rioli, F1

WCE give: Barrass, 23
WCE gain: Baker, 9, 13

Rich give: Rioli, Baker, Bolton
Rich gain: 5, 10, 12

Freo give: 9, 10
Freo gain: Bolton, 23

Who’ve I ripped off?
Hawthorn, a little bit; Gold Coast, but by less than usual. We're doing pretty well out of this one.

I don't think Darcy Fort really addresses our need of a quality ruckman.

He's 32 next year, also a potato.

Would only entertain trading waterman if a club (Melbourne) and waterman came to us with a deal in our favour.

Otherwise, he’s in the right age group a loved team member and proven that if you put the work in you get results.

Saying that it’s a one year flash in the pan doesn’t sound right to me either, from memory he was pretty good in 2023 pre illness.

If Bailey Williams is in the mix for a reason for trading Waterman, then we might as well fold the club.
You will not he was down the list. As said, if he Is going to play with Flynn he needs to play forward as well.

I have a long history of saying Bailey Williams is crap….

ideally I’d hope Flynn is fit and back in his best form next year supported by Jack Williams.

Playing with that four-way trade that was posted a couple of days ago and including Freo in the deal:

Who’ve I ripped off?

Pretty good, Hawks might want a sweetener.

You will not he was down the list. As said, if he Is going to play with Flynn he needs to play forward as well.

I have a long history of saying Bailey Williams is crap….

ideally I’d hope Flynn is fit and back in his best form next year supported by Jack Williams.
There’s no place for baz if flynn or any other decent ruckmen is available

Who’ve I ripped off?
Possibly too good for us unfortunately. Reckon Hawks will at least want our F2, skeptical they'd give up 2 first rounders straight up. Richmond probably feel like they can get more keeping the deals separate as well.

Possibly too good for us unfortunately. Reckon Hawks will at least want our F2, skeptical they'd give up 2 first rounders straight up. Richmond probably feel like they can get more keeping the deals separate as well.

Yep. No way they will give up 2 first rounders, will definitely want something back. Barrass being 29 at the time of the trade period makes it hard for us to demand 2 firsts. If he was 27 then 100%.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Take two - Hawks get a sweetener and we get slightly less for Barrass.

Hawks gain: Barrass, 26

WCE gain: Baker, 9, 17

Freo give: 9, 10, 17, 26
Freo gain: Bolton, 13, 23

WEST COAST
All indications are that key defender Tom Barrass is headed for the door, but the Eagles could potentially have some good players come back the other way.

Former Richmond recruiting manager Matt Clarke is now list boss at West Coast and should push hard to secure Tigers star Shai Bolton as he seeks to return home to Western Australia.
Bolton is still only 25 and could team up with Liam Ryan in the forward line to provide a real spark for the Eagles.

West Coast had its eyes on Western Bulldogs ruckman Tim English, but his decision to stay at Whitten Oval might mean they have to get creative in that area.

He’s got one year remaining on a deal at the Lions, but has only played two games this season as he sits behind Oscar McInerney in the pecking order.

Williams is a competitor but is undersized so is not the player you want in the No. 1 ruck role when you are trying to develop your midfield.

Nick Bryan or Toby Conway are two young rucks that I would throw reasonable deals at. We need to try and find the next Lloyd Meek style pickup.

If we want an older type, Ivan Soldo has been pushed to the side at Port. He is 1000% better than Fort.

WEST COAST

Does McGuane know we’ve still got Flynn on our list?

Hawthorn, a little bit; Gold Coast, but by less than usual. We're doing pretty well out of this one.

Definitely GC losing.

I mean if we were demanding 5 & 13 for Barrass and a F1 (projected 13-18 before bids in what is apparently a heavily compromised draft) some circles would laugh at us.

Barrass is surely worth more than Rioli though?

Pick 5 for Rioli is too much, 13 seems fair, maybe a F2 or F3 added but anything more seems way overs.

That said, we would no doubt be happy to add 1-2x F3 to GC in that deal (would need to find another F3 but that doesn’t seem impossible), if another club did also then the points merry go round might start to stack up for the suns. (Pending AFL changes)

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Barrass is worth a top 5 pick. Anything less keep him. Hawks 1st and future 1st will not satisfy.
full rebuild and we need picks.
Going by Cal's latest phantom guide and assuming Hawks offer up 12 and 27 for Barrass, we could go to the draft and get
3 - a true midfielder in Draper or Lalor or M Reid (I would want these 3 above Smillie)
12 - another mid like Lindsay or a mid forward like Hotton (I prefer the former)
23 - a half back like Oliver (assuming we just miss on Travaglia)
27 - a KPD like Mraz (assuming foot OK) or Dennis or Gerryn
59 - Davis as an outside wing
NGA match may not be needed on Champion as a small forward/high half forward

WC should use a pick on Jaxon Artemis. WA MVP, very good user of the ball, fast and plays both half back and wing.

Its baffling how badly the club relationship with Barrass' seems to have broken down.

Even if he wants out and even if it turns out to be true the club has dealt with him unfairly in contract negotiations he seems to have just outright dropped his bundle with three weeks to go- is he even showing up at training?

Hard to know who is at fault but it is a really really bad look for him. He's under contract and a senior and experienced player, surely whatever has gone wrong with management and however shabbily he feels he's been treated the mature and professional thing to do is to keep showing up to work and do the job you're paid to do at least until the season ends- if for no other reason, at least out of respect and loyalty for the teammates you've played alongside for more than a decade?

It's hard to escape the feeling that something pretty nasty has gone down behind closed doors for it to get this bad.
it's probably down to one of the more well known board members, with their "if you're not on board you're out" philosophy

View attachment 2087502

It’s also pretty ignorant to say Culley’s performance as a forward is irrelevant when it’s one of the roles he plays along with midfield.
I’m not sure if you are taking the piss or not with the small forward vs medium forward stuff. Who is genuinely saying that Cripps can’t play as a small forward close to goals or a as a high half forward. Your way of thinking might have been a thing decades ago but not anymore.

It’s irrelevant because he has absolutely no hope as playing in the AFL as a forward. You would probably classify him as a medium forward based on height and say him and Cripps are capable of playing the same role hahaha.

Zane Trew is a year older than Culley and doesn’t lead him in many stat averages at all (noting time on ground also has Culley ahead by about 9% so that needs to be considered).

The biggest problem is role. Trew is an attacking mid, we have about 5 better options currently in a terrible midfield.

Culley is more a defensive mid, probably doesn’t make it but he’s almost on his own in that category (Yeo probably needs to revisit his tagging days, and Graham is looking a possible signing).

So for me Trew and Culley are somewhat similar in standing, but re-signing Trew would be a much worse decision for squad balance (not losing sleep if both go).

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Trew is a year older which is important to consider for sure. The issue is Culley just isn’t going to magically become faster by becoming a year older. His limitations have nothing to do with age.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back