List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
Jagga's highlights from the weekend were very, very impressive. He's ultra smooth in traffic and has great hands. His kicking seems fine to me as well, missed a couple of targets, but hit the vast majority.

Looks like we'll have some great choices available at pick 3, regardless of who's left. Can't say I'd be upset with a genuine pig at pick 3. Sounds like Harley wouldn't be either.
He was very very good, his work rate is first class. Something to be said for mids that just run hard all day, always give an outlet or provide support or link up out of traffic. He doesn't get enough credit for this. His hands are elite and kicking generally very good, just prone to miss the odd target.
I remember Hough being super skinny when he came to us, looks pretty good now. I was nervous he wouldn't be able to put on size but he has.
If Draper was gone, and Jagga was at three I wouldn't hesitate taking him.

True, although he could be expected to get a little more agile 2nd year after an ACL. Maybe not straight line speed but closer to AFL quality.

He has kicking depth, and is tall and strong.

None of which makes him AFL quality, but things that Trew lacks which will always hold him back. I think Trew has AFL smarts, but like LEdwards the athletic attributes he lacks (across the board) will mean he likely doesn’t make it (would need to be an elite kick, or have positional flexibility etc).

So if it is one or the other keep Culley, if we are looking at retaining both then fold, if we have to cut both then no losing sleep over it.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Trews athletic attributes are way closer to AFL standard than Culley. Tall and strong doesnt matter if you dont get to the ball. But yes I agree wouldnt care if we lost both.

No I’m showing you that your claim that there’s no difference between small and medium forwards is bullsh*t.

If you’re going to lump players that play totally different roles like a 184cm hard running medium forward Cripps with a 172cm high impact small forward Champion together and state that the forward contribution of a midfielder/forward is irrelevant then there’s absolutely no point discussing list management with you.
If you are purely dividing based on height than you are completely wrong. No one would describe Cripps as a medium sized forward because he stands at 184cm tall hahaha. That is so so strange. You described rawlinson as a small forward when he is clearly more of a high pressure half forward flank. You also described Long like that which is again wrong. You display an inability to judge our players ability so you have fallen back on using their height as a guide.

Culleys forward contribution is irrelevant if he doesn't have the capabilities to play the role. He is way too slow to play any role in the forward line and not tall enough to compensate for it.

He’s had a great season - by his standards - which let’s face it were about as borderline league quality as it gets.
Waterman is averaging more goals, marks, contested marks, inside 50s, marks inside 50 and score involvements than Allen in 2023 and is extremely comparable with Darling's best season of 2019 where Waterman averages more in a couple of stats (goals, disposals, marks, marks inside 50) but is slightly behind in others (contested marks, score involvements, goal assists).
In terms of this year Waterman is averaging 2.7 goals, 12.4 disposals, 6.7 marks, 3.2 marks inside-50, 1.6 contested marks, 6.1 score involvements and 209 metres gained.
Compared that to Curnow who is averaging 2.7 goals, 12.1 disposals, 6.0 marks, 2.6 marks inside-50, 2.1 contested marks, 7.1 score involvements and 289 metres gained.
Or Hogan who is averaging 3 goals, 12.2 disposals, 6.4 marks, 4 marks inside-50, 2.5 contested marks, 6.6 score involvements and 211 metres gained.
Or King who is averaging 2.6 goals, 8.1 disposals, 4.6 marks, 3 marks inside-50, 1.4 contested marks, 5.1 score involvements and 185 metres gained.
I think you're downplaying his season where I would say that he is probably in the top 3 key forwards this year (I'd take Hogan and Cameron ahead but that's it).

The club needs to make some hard decisions and push player(s) out. Unfortunately if Ryan refuses to go, he still has 2 years to go on his contract so the club can't do too much until end of next year. I don't understand why the club would offer him a contract extension last off season when he was injured heaps the previous 2 seasons....just more Nisbett contracts screwing the club over
Agree

We seem to be the mother Teresa to has beens

Waterman is playing a similar role with higher workrate.... Gotta trade one of the forwards... Ryan for pick in 20s is good business by west coast

Wouldn’t worry about what the biased media are saying bakers worth. The club will know his worth, journos won’t change influence that. If Richmond ask for too much then freo can have him

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

If you are purely dividing based on height than you are completely wrong. No one would describe Cripps as a medium sized forward because he stands at 184cm tall hahaha. That is so so strange. You described rawlinson as a small forward when he is clearly more of a high pressure half forward flank. You also described Long like that which is again wrong. You display an inability to judge our players ability so you have fallen back on using their height as a guide.

Culleys forward contribution is irrelevant if he doesn't have the capabilities to play the role. He is way too slow to play any role in the forward line and not tall enough to compensate for it.
For your own learning by definition an opinion can’t be wrong so I suggest you familiarise yourself with that. I just posted a screenshot of the WCE website describing Jamie Cripps as a medium forward and you’re telling me he’s not a medium forward? Ok.

Your comment on my inability to judge players is the height of hypocrisy. Rawlinson has played one AFL game and had four touches and you’ve decided he’s a high pressure half forward flank at AFL level? You’re delusional if you think you can make that assessment based on one AFL game, what an ignorant comment. Again. You said we need 8 small forwards on the list. I said we don’t. There’s no dichotomous categorisation of forwards. Just because they aren’t KPFs it doesn’t mean they are small forwards.

Discounting Culley’s (mid/forward’s) forward contributions as unimportant isn’t even ignorant it’s just stupid. It would be like saying ignore a ruckman’s hitouts because I think they’re a bad ruckman so as I said, no point having a list management discussion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And we hired the bloke who thought it was a good idea to give up significant assets for Taranto and Hopper despite clearly being well out of contention.
No, we didn't.

I don't know why people keep making this assumption. Blair Hartley is their head of football talent.

What you're suggesting is akin to saying Duane Massey will be in charge of our list management strategy, as he's our national recruiting manager.

Clarke would've had some involvement in the process of bringing them in but he wasn't the one responsible for the list management strategy at Richmond.

Outside of Sam McClure, John Ralph has to be the biggest flog in the media.

Just suggested on MWT that we trade Barrass for pick 12 then give that to Richmond for Baker.

What a f**kwit.
Always look to the self interest. Unfortunately our media is less than impartial

Glad that list managers and alike share your views

Not sure I can stay on this thread much longer as way too many posters are jumping at shadows.

“We offered our future 1st for x or y”

Oh dear - you forgot to say what was coming back

John Ralph thinks xyz. It must be right! Surely!

Please posters, grow a set of testies and be ready to ignore crappy journos or oppo posters.

After all, haven’t St Blunder, Port and Freo been winning the trade and draft for the last decade.

You know who you are. We can smell the singed material from your self igniting petticoats

Last edited:
Some people really jumping to conclusions just because we have shown a little bit of interest in Baker and Graham, like seriously get a grip LMAO

We arent going to give up pick 12 for Baker just because Clarke knows him, thatd be the quickest way for Clarke to lose his job that im sure he wants to keep for at least a little bit

Waterman is averaging more goals, marks, contested marks, inside 50s, marks inside 50 and score involvements than Allen in 2023 and is extremely comparable with Darling's best season of 2019 where Waterman averages more in a couple of stats (goals, disposals, marks, marks inside 50) but is slightly behind in others (contested marks, score involvements, goal assists).
In terms of this year Waterman is averaging 2.7 goals, 12.4 disposals, 6.7 marks, 3.2 marks inside-50, 1.6 contested marks, 6.1 score involvements and 209 metres gained.
Compared that to Curnow who is averaging 2.7 goals, 12.1 disposals, 6.0 marks, 2.6 marks inside-50, 2.1 contested marks, 7.1 score involvements and 289 metres gained.
Or Hogan who is averaging 3 goals, 12.2 disposals, 6.4 marks, 4 marks inside-50, 2.5 contested marks, 6.6 score involvements and 211 metres gained.
Or King who is averaging 2.6 goals, 8.1 disposals, 4.6 marks, 3 marks inside-50, 1.4 contested marks, 5.1 score involvements and 185 metres gained.
I think you're downplaying his season where I would say that he is probably in the top 3 key forwards this year (I'd take Hogan and Cameron ahead but that's it).

Yeah look. Fine.

Look forward to more of the same next season.

Stoked to be proven wrong.

In this draft we must address our biggest issues. Ruck and Midfield.
If Hewett can overcome his foot injury and become an AFL midfielder, that would be a huge plus, 50/50 if he’ll ever get over the problem.
We must plan though as if he won’t.
Draft the best mid available with our 1st pick, and be aggressively looking to trade for a ruckman from another club.
If we don’t get a decent ruckman for 2025, it could be Groundhog Day.
I have a bit of faith in Pyke and list management, I’m sure they’ll be doing all in their power to make it happen.
Disappointing that the highly touted Barnett has given us zero to get enthused about.

Superior play Oscar?

Whos better when the ball hits the ground? Waterman
Who's better defensively? Waterman
Who's better on the lead 1 on 1? Waterman

The only advantage Oscar Allen has is his reach and maybe his kicking due to his technique.

The only reason Oscar isn't playing in chf because he is not fit enough to do so which is saying something.

Generally agreed. Oscar has been below his best this year and hopefully he gets his body right.

Neither of them are massive game changers who you want to kick the ball at, they need solid ball movement upfield to disrupt defensive structures.

Popcorn GIFs on GIPHY - Be Animated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back