List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
Umm, what?

Yes it absolutely can.

The Big Lebowski Film GIF by The Good Films

Umm, what?

Yes it absolutely can.
noun

a view or judgement formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.
"that, in my opinion, is right"

Wrong. You can argue that you don’t share an opinion, or have an opposing opinion but you can’t say an opinion is wrong. It’s a subjective view, you’re not arguing a fact.

If I say Collingwood won the 2018 grand final that is a statement of fact which is wrong.

If my opinion is that Collingwood should have won the grand final, you can’t say that’s wrong. It’s my opinion (it’s not).

You can’t tell someone their opinion is wrong, it’s a view or judgement which is subjective.

I thought we were done with the whole 'idiot thinks Waterman is garbo' stuff.

There are some folk that aren’t quite sold on the ‘long term, high money contract extensions for perennial disappointments that finally play good footy in a bad team’ stuff.

…but I do get that people are very keen to grasp hold of every sliver of hope that presents at the moment.

Outside of Sam McClure, John Ralph has to be the biggest flog in the media.

Just suggested on MWT that we trade Barrass for pick 12 then give that to Richmond for Baker.

What a f**kwit.

Tom Morris would have to be in the conversation also… but it is a bit like the 2024 draft - a fairly large, even group in that category 🤣

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Read this morning that Hawk's pick 12 will be enough to get the deal done for Barrass, and then we're trading that on to get Baker from Richmond.

So essentially Barrass for a mediocre 27 year old mid who will be retired by the time the Eagles get near the 8.

And it wasn't even satire.

You'd be happy with this hey twce13 ? Master stroke of list management. 😂

Not sure I can stay on this thread much longer as way too many posters are jumping at shadows.

“We offered our future 1st for x or y”

Oh dear - you forgot to say what was coming back

John Ralph thinks xyz. It must be right! Surely!

Please posters, grow a set of testies and be ready to ignore crappy journos or oppo posters.

After all, haven’t St Blunder, Port and Freo been winning the trade and draft for the last decade.

You know who you are. We can smell the singed material from your self igniting petticoats

Vince Mcmahon Wwe GIF

"Singed material from your self igniting petticoats....."

Read this morning that Hawk's pick 12 will be enough to get the deal done for Barrass, and then we're trading that on to get Baker from Richmond.

So essentially Barrass for a mediocre 27 year old mid who will be retired by the time the Eagles get near the 8.

And you believed that did you?

If we essentially swap Barrass for Baker we're at the bottom for the next decade. That's squad killing moves.
It wouldn't be a squad killing move given his age but it's not an accurate reflection of each player's value.

noun

a view or judgement formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Wrong. You can argue that you don’t share an opinion, or have an opposing opinion but you can’t say an opinion is wrong. It’s a subjective view, you’re not arguing a fact.

If I say Collingwood won the 2018 grand final that is a statement of fact which is wrong.

If my opinion is that Collingwood should have won the grand final, you can’t say that’s wrong. It’s my opinion (it’s not).

You can’t tell someone their opinion is wrong, it’s a view or judgement which is subjective.

Have you been on the internet? People have all sorts of loopy opinions.

Damien Barrett wrote this morning that in his opinion Cox might still be interested in the Eagles job. He’s come out and said he doesn’t. But in Barrett’s opinion he might still be. And he’s wrong.

Eastern states clubs have the opinion that constant travel isn’t really a detriment. They’re wrong.

The AFL has the opinion that their fixture is as fair and balanced as it can be. They’re wrong.

Jon Ralph thinks we should effectively do a straight swap of Barrass for Baker. That’s his opinion. It’s wrong.

I think if we going in the forwards to go it has to be Liam Ryan doesnt it? He is atleast of the age profile that will see him not playing when we are back in finals contention. Atleast Jake will still be at FF in that situation
The problem with trading Liam Ryan now is that he's probably at his lowest value. IF he's fit next year we'd get more trading him at the end of next year than we would this year, despite being a year older.

Have you been on the internet? People have all sorts of loopy opinions.

Damien Barrett wrote this morning that in his opinion Cox might still be interested in the Eagles job. He’s come out and said he doesn’t. But in Barrett’s opinion he might still be. And he’s wrong.

Eastern states clubs have the opinion that constant travel isn’t really a detriment. They’re wrong.

The AFL has the opinion that their fixture is as fair and balanced as it can be. They’re wrong.

Jon Ralph thinks we should effectively do a straight swap of Barrass for Baker. That’s his opinion. It’s wrong.
You can’t argue an opinion is wrong that’s a fundamental fact of the definition of an opinion.

You can choose not to agree with it, say it’s been formed on a lack of understanding or not rely on facts but you can’t say it’s wrong. It’s a subjective view. You can’t tell someone their view is not their view.

Ralph as an example. Unless he’s lying (in which case it wouldn’t really be an opinion), his opinion is that Pick 12 should be traded for Baker. You can say you think he’s overestimated Baker’s value, or that he has an inherent bias towards Richmond but you can’t say he doesn’t think that Baker is worth pick 12 (that his opinion is wrong). Because he does think he’s worth that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It wouldn't be a squad killing move given his age but it's not an accurate reflection of each player's value.

I think it would set us well and truly back, we're a better team with Barrass, I'm not convinced we would be with Baker and I'd much rather hit the draft with any picks received.

noun

Lol.

Lmao, even.

According to my uncle's opinion, you can't trust 'big science' (his words), and the Earth is flat.

Waterman is averaging more goals, marks, contested marks, inside 50s, marks inside 50 and score involvements than Allen in 2023 and is extremely comparable with Darling's best season of 2019 where Waterman averages more in a couple of stats (goals, disposals, marks, marks inside 50) but is slightly behind in others (contested marks, score involvements, goal assists).
In terms of this year Waterman is averaging 2.7 goals, 12.4 disposals, 6.7 marks, 3.2 marks inside-50, 1.6 contested marks, 6.1 score involvements and 209 metres gained.
Compared that to Curnow who is averaging 2.7 goals, 12.1 disposals, 6.0 marks, 2.6 marks inside-50, 2.1 contested marks, 7.1 score involvements and 289 metres gained.
Or Hogan who is averaging 3 goals, 12.2 disposals, 6.4 marks, 4 marks inside-50, 2.5 contested marks, 6.6 score involvements and 211 metres gained.
Or King who is averaging 2.6 goals, 8.1 disposals, 4.6 marks, 3 marks inside-50, 1.4 contested marks, 5.1 score involvements and 185 metres gained.
I think you're downplaying his season where I would say that he is probably in the top 3 key forwards this year (I'd take Hogan and Cameron ahead but that's it).
Yeah all of this.

The other point that is worth making is compared to Curnow/Hogan/Cameron, who all play in front of top 8 midfields Waterman has been doing his thing in a team that is still regularly getting absolutely smacked out of the midfield. However you stack it up he's had a great year.

Yes it's one year but based on the way he's done it he's as good a bet as anyone to back it up. It's not just the goal totals, he's put together a really impressive package of hard running up and back the ground, his leads are very smart, his hands are absurd, and his kicking on goal, which has always been a strength of his, has been elite. So there's a lot of substance to his game and there's every reason to think he will back it up, or even improve if our midfield starts to give him better use.

I really can't think of any sensible reason to try and cash him for picks.

The point of high draft picks is to try and find players like waterman. And it looks like we found one. Be happy.

Pick 12 for Liam Baker and the rights to microwave memberships due to dumb decisions and its a deal.

There are some folk that aren’t quite sold on the ‘long term, high money contract extensions for perennial disappointments that finally play good footy in a bad team’ stuff.

…but I do get that people are very keen to grasp hold of every sliver of hope that presents at the moment.
That would be valid if

The first time he got a real, extended shot at playing the position he was drafted for, not being stuck behind out two most prolific goalscorers... ever, he didn't perform so well he was a serious Coleman contender for a significant portion of the year (and is still fourth). In a bottom four team.

But he did.

Last edited:
You can’t argue an opinion is wrong that’s a fundamental fact of the definition of an opinion.

You can choose not to agree with it, say it’s been formed on a lack of understanding or not rely on facts but you can’t say it’s wrong. It’s a subjective view. You can’t tell someone their view is not their view.

Ralph as an example. Unless he’s lying (in which case it wouldn’t really be an opinion), his opinion is that Pick 12 should be traded for Baker. You can say you think he’s overestimated Baker’s value, or that he has an inherent bias towards Richmond but you can’t say he doesn’t think that Baker is worth pick 12 (that his opinion is wrong). Because he does think he’s worth that.

My subjective opinion is that every third horse I see on the drive down to Margaret River isn’t really a horse, it’s two guys in a horse suit.

Just my subjective opinion.

Even Richmond fans are arguing they should help us out and give something else …to save us from ourselves.

Lol.

Lmao, even.

According to my uncle's opinion, you can't trust 'big science' (his words), and the Earth is flat.
So he has formed that opinion based on rubbish, you can argue that.

But you can’t tell him his opinion is not his opinion.

My subjective opinion is that every third horse I see on the drive down to Margaret River isn’t really a horse, it’s two guys in a horse suit.

Just my subjective opinion.
You don’t need to say your opinion is subjective, that’s tautological. All opinions are subjective which is why you can’t say an opinion is wrong.

Next time you’re heading down south, take someone in the car with you and hopefully they point out that the horse is just two guys in a horse suit and you might change his opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back