List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Oscar Allen and Jake Waterman are set to sign new deals (Code Sports)
    • Allen is due to become a free agent at the end of next season, but is working on a six-year extension
    • Waterman will sign a four year deal, which is "heavily incentives based" and could see him earn up to $1m per year

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
People that are suggesting we take TT with our first, is he going to be able to play mid in the future? Seems a reach.

If we trade 13 for Baker (yuck, better be something coming back) and take TT with 3, then we are going to pick our first mid at 23 again, in a midfielders draft. Seems a very WCE thing but surely it is obvious that we need ball winners and possession getters.

If we use 3 on a top mid and then split 13 for Baker and a second rounder, still yuck but could take that.

Every team needs an elite rebounding half back. They are just as important as elite mids.

We don't have any.

And he looks like a Will Day type who can transition to midfield. Has done so to limited degrees already.

Because TT is flexible and can play defense and wing / on ball where other u18's are mids and just mids shouldn't rule him out as a potentially great mid.

We should be able to do better than this
Maybe, could do worse too. Already chat of pick 13 for Baker since my post. That’s a fair bit worse.

Also in all honesty pick 13 and hawks f1 with our F2 going back isn’t that much better than pick 13 and hawks f2 with nothing going back.

Pushing out the door a rare as hens teeth top key defender on the tail end of his prime and using the pick we get for him for a run of the mill, B grader is quintessential post 2018 flag West Coast.

I ain't even melting, that just sounds like something this era of West Coast WOULD do. I've accepted it.

Every team needs an elite rebounding half back. They are just as important as elite mids.

We don't have any.

And he looks like a Will Day type who can transition to midfield. Has done so to limited degrees already.

Because TT is flexible and can play defense and wing / on ball where other u18's are mids and just mids shouldn't rule him out as a potentially great mid.
Yep, all good. But, we can't take that risk at pick 3. We need to hit on a guaranteed gun mid. Not someone with risk, even if they might potentially end up fractionally better in the long run.

Pushing out the door a rare as hens teeth top key defender on the tail end of his prime and using the pick we get for him for a run of the mill, B grader is quintessential post 2018 flag West Coast.

I ain't even melting, that just sounds like something this era of West Coast WOULD do. I've accepted it.

1. He wants to go. He went and found a club with most money to go to. We didn’t shop around.

2. If anything, we got criticised for not pushing players out enough. I am not sure what you are referring to.

3. How many a graders out of 800 do you think are out there?

4. At this stage I wouldn’t mind a few b grade midfielder/ Harley + 4 b grade midfielders would do wonders for our competitiveness. It’s what hawks have essentially. They have 2x a grade mids but we have a rolls Royce.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don’t want Baker.

Messing up a critical drafting year.
But you can't just have all kids. Baker would be a great help guiding these kids through. Tough too. Doubt he'd allow Harley to get bullied as much.

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I am once again imploring the club to get as many picks as possible in this draft in the top 30 and take kids.

The proposed deal is 13 for 21 and Baker.
That would mean we only have one target inside the top 12 unless we were planning to bring forward a pick

Yep, all good. But, we can't take that risk at pick 3. We need to hit on a guaranteed gun mid. Not someone with risk, even if they might potentially end up fractionally better in the long run.

How has that approach gone for North?

As opposed to Hawthorn.

And all draft picks have risk.

Edit: Wouldn't mind knowing exactly what Random disagrees with here?

Last edited:

We don't have any.

Agreed we need that type of player. just think with our current list we need a gun mid while we have a top 3 pick. Once we start moving up the ladder a bit a HBF /Wing at 6 or 7 seems about right. At the moment we have noone who gets a lot of possessions. Plus we need someone to help Harley in the middle. Yeo is getting old and is 1 injury away. Ginbey looks more suited to half back and Kelly is probably suited more outside/hff. Our midfield is so shallow that adding a HBF at 3 seems a bit off.

A mid first round pick for Liam Baker and a start of second round pick

What poor trading.

Giving Richmond a real leg up. Be like us getting #5 for Liam Ryan.

People are really good at overlooking details in order to have a melt.

Could be possible that twomeys info could be coming from Richmond’s end. The recruiting team would be sussing out trade targets and there draft board but I doubt any decisions will be made until the head coach is sorted.

Giving up 13 for Baker doesn't make sense in isolation. Assuming the Barrass trade is 13 + 30 and Baker is 13 for Baker + 21, combined with a suggestion from stallon to get Warner, 18 + F1 from the Swans for 3 + F1, that could leave us with:

Warner
Baker
18, 21, 23, 30, 59
Swans F1, WCE F2, F3, F4

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back