List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Latest news and rumours

Done deals:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Last edited by a moderator:
Pyke indicated that we are after a top 10 pick, so probably not pick 51.
Looking to get back into the top 10 after just trading one out is a bold move.

Usually you make these sorts of arrangements before you trade out your most valuable asset otherwise you get f*cked over on both fronts.

Very worried about the meaning behind that comment based on what we’ve seen today. That could be our F1 for one of the Saints picks. At which point we may as well offer Harley up and get his replacement in the door this year because we’d be well and truly fu*ked

On Reid - the one element of the melts that I don’t agree with is that this pushes him out the door.

A 3-20 season with him heading into the final year of his contract potentially pushes him out the door.

Many won’t agree that this will lift our floor materially, and you can also argue if doing this to keep Reid (if that’s the reason) is too short sighted, but I certainly think it only helps the pursuit.

Doesn’t make the deal better, just think the tiny silver lining is that a more competitive Eagles is better for getting Harley’s signature.

No, that doesn’t mean finals and flag tilts, but it also shouldn’t have any games where we’re blown off the park by halftime. Need to sell a mid term vision as well as a long, even if we all really ****ing hate how they’re gone about it.
Darling and Barrass out
Baker and Owies in
That's a net negative for me.
Now we might do better next year but that'll be due to the natural improvement of our young players.
It'll have very little to do with our overall trades this year which (in their totality) are not favourable to us.

You will have a better chance of getting Warner with next year's draft hand once you collect the future picks from Hawks

Draper would have been nice though and you could have played hard ball with an uncontracted Baker plus Owies would have been free

I've melted hard over today's deal, but have also accepted that it's value can only be assessed once the TB situation is sorted.

If we can trade TB for a top 10 pick or 2x F1 them I'm pretty happy overall.

If we piss the bed with that though... I'm going to have some wet ****ing pants

Why is there this stance “we can assess once the TB trade comes in”. They are separate trades, any outcome on this was always open to us. The Baker is not worth what we paid- to us- with where our list is at. Having a mature body to help Harley and “increase training standards” we had graham for that. We are now pinning our hopes on extracting our fair pound of flesh out from hawthorn for TB. Fantastic. But that doesn’t excuse this terrible trade. Geelong changed the goalposts multiple times with Kelly. All that has been forgotten in the industry and only remembered by us. We need to be more ruthless, and the Don missed his moment to demonstrate this. Our nice guy trading reminds me of friends, family , flags. It’s a business, behave accordingly. Your loyalty lies with the club and what’s best for the club, and not your personal brand that they were more worried about, at the expense of setting us on the right path.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Looking to get back into the top 10 after just trading one out is a bold move.

Usually you make these sorts of arrangements before you trade out your most valuable asset otherwise you get f*cked over on both fronts.
I concur. The club must have something that they're gunning for though because Pyke was pretty adamant in his expectation on either a top 10 pick or a pick in the 10-20 range.

On Reid - the one element of the melts that I don’t agree with is that this pushes him out the door.

A 3-20 season with him heading into the final year of his contract potentially pushes him out the door.

Many won’t agree that this will lift our floor materially, and you can also argue if doing this to keep Reid (if that’s the reason) is too short sighted, but I certainly think it only helps the pursuit.

Doesn’t make the deal better, just think the tiny silver lining is that a more competitive Eagles is better for getting Harley’s signature.

No, that doesn’t mean finals and flag tilts, but it also shouldn’t have any games where we’re blown off the park by halftime. Need to sell a mid term vision as well as a long, even if we all really ****ing hate how they’re gone about it.
I liken it to Lebron at the Cavs the first time around. They kept on trying to top up with mid tier players to be competitive (out of fear of losing him) and it resulted in them never conceivably having a chance to win a championship.

Reid isn't stupid and he won't want to cap out at 10 wins a season for his whole career. You can sell a longterm goal to a star player by winning 6 games a year if you're doing it with top end talent in a similar age bracket to him.

This trade is going to reverberate at the club for years. Pyke, Clarke and McQualter have only just arrived and I can assure you, none of them are going to be involved in the next premiership at West Coast (whenever the hell that now will be).

After tomorrow Richmond could (and probably will) have 1, 6, 10, 14, 18, 20, 23, 24

Now they'll probably package up picks to move up but you think with all Clarke's "goodwill" there might be a chance to trade back in somewhere there
Hawks f1 for 18 would be alright, take Hynes there maybe after getting Travaglia at 12
The off-season would be redeemed in my mind with that

I'm totally perplexed at how Matt Owies was the key to unlocking that trade.

He's a perfectly decent player, but why on earth did we feel the need to target him?
We have experienced forwards in Ryan and Cripps.
We have exciting young players in Dewar, Brockman, Hutchinson and Long.
We have academy options in Champion (this year) and Walley (next year).
We have mids who like to rotate forward in Reid, Hewett, Kelly and now Graham.
We have Liam Baker, whose proposed role is unclear but who has often played on a HFF.

We are creating the most needless logjam and wasting salary cap space on someone who will be 28 at the start of the season. FMD.

Was a rumor that Cripps may retire early. And 2025 would likely be his last season.

Owies brings the running and work rate needed for that HHF role and it takes years for the kids to build that endurance.

Total stop gap but kind of understandable.

Owies wasnt why we did this deal.

You will have a better chance of getting Warner with next year's draft hand once you collect the future picks from Hawks

Draper would have been nice though and you could have played hard ball with an uncontracted Baker plus Owies would have been free
Not with the way Pyke gives away draft pick. He’s probably plotting to give away future pick to hide his embarrassing mistakes.

F1st for pick 10, or some other shit outcome

I liken it to Lebron at the Cavs the first time around. They kept on trying to top up with mid tier players to be competitive (out of fear of losing him) and it resulted in them never conceivably having a chance to win a championship.

Reid isn't stupid and he won't want to cap out at 10 wins a season for his whole career. You can sell a longterm goal to a star player by winning 6 games a year if you're doing it with top end talent in a similar age bracket to him.

This trade is going to reverberate at the club for years. Pyke, Clarke and McQualter have only just arrived and I can assure you, none of them are going to be involved in the next premiership at West Coast (whenever the hell that now will be).
Dead right. Chatting to a mate about this earlier. Sets the rebuild back YEARS

Was a rumor that Cripps may retire early. And 2025 would likely be his last season.

Owies brings the running and work rate needed for that HHF role and it takes years for the kids to build that endurance.

Total stop gap but kind of understandable.

Owies wasnt why we did this deal.
Owies has no place in our team. WAFL player only

Why is there this stance “we can assess once the TB trade comes in”. They are separate trades, any outcome on this was always open to us. The Baker is not worth what we paid- to us- with where our list is at. Having a mature body to help Harley and “increase training standards” we had graham for that. We are now pinning our hopes on extracting our fair pound of flesh out from hawthorn for TB. Fantastic. But that doesn’t excuse this terrible trade. Geelong changed the goalposts multiple times with Kelly. All that has been forgotten in the industry and only remembered by us. We need to be more ruthless, and the Don missed his moment to demonstrate this. Our nice guy trading reminds me of friends, family , flags. It’s a business, behave accordingly. Your loyalty lies with the club and what’s best for the club, and not your personal brand that they were more worried about, at the expense of setting us on the right path.

I think the problem for us is that (amongst other things) we were playing the no blinking game with two clubs (Richmond and Hawthorn) and may have felt we could only run one to the death tomorrow night.
I assume that because we "made promises" to Baker, we felt that we were obliged to complete that trade and not run it down to the wire.
Although I think this is optimistic, hopefully this means that we are prepared to run the Barrass deal to the last minutes to see if Hawthorn blinks.
I certainly agree with your assessment that the trades stand alone, and we're not going to make up for today's trade with anything that happens tomorrow.
However, hopefully we can salvage something from this wreckage and bring in two additional future first rounders, whether or not we trade back into this year or retain them for a larger draft haul next year.
It's still a net loss, but it at least improves the overall trade period for us (maybe moves the ranking from an F to a D or C-).
At least that's the logic I'm going to run with.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are you suggesting trading our own F1 (which most definitely will be a top 5 pick) to Richmond for picks 10 and 18 this year? That's two top 3-5 picks out the door in 2 years. Haven't Richmond got enough from us already? If we are trading any F1 out then it should be either Haw F1 or Carlton F1 assuming we get one or both (highly unlikely). Those F1s will be more like 12 and 14 this year.

If the club is planning to trade for Warner next year we should bring it forward.

100% right thing to do.

Bank the Barrass future oicks and use those to trade.

It would be the best way to utilise a top 5 pick if we are trading it anyway.

Darling and Barrass out
Baker and Owies in
That's a net negative for me.
Now we might do better next year but that'll be due to the natural improvement of our young players.
It'll have very little to do with our overall trades this year which (in their totality) are not favourable to us.
Plus Graham who is no world beater but is the exact sort we missed so so sorely this year, we had Zane Trew playing as our defensive mid ffs.

Darling is fourth in line for his own spot. Barrass out a huge loss, absolutely, but I’m guessing the thinking is if there’s more pressure at the coalface and fewer absolute bloodbaths in there, it makes it easier for the backs for a change.

I think we’ll be solidly improved. Doesn’t make the deal particularly palatable, but still.

Because how effective a team's trade period has been is assessed based on whether it's achieved its aims as a whole.

Clearly we were committed to using pick 14 or thereabouts for Baker. We also had to shift our approach from acquiring Baker via the TB trade to acquiring Baker using pick 3.

Neither trade has gone as anticipated, but if we still end up with a similar net outcome then fair play.

Plus Graham who is no world beater but is the exact sort we missed so so sorely this year, we had Zane Trew playing as our defensive mid ffs.

Do you intentionally bait your mate sharps or is it a subconscious thing?

If the barrass trade goes through I would argue our 2025 floor hasn't lifted at all. We could bleed terribly in the back half if Harry doesn't hold up or gov gets injured. TB will be far more important to the structure than baker, as much as I like baker as player.

Graham and owies will not significantly change things for better or worse.

I'm supportive of trading barrass but to suggest the changes will make us materially better in 2025 requires me to squint pretty hard when looking at the picture

Play hard ball with the Hawks, 2 x F1's or no trade... we now have nothing to lose.

It's all future picks anyway. TB is under contract and this exact trade scenario can be re-visted in 12 months time.

Out: 3 and TB
In: 12, F1, F1, Baker and Owies

Would not be as terrible, as we initially thought.

Hawks will smell blood.

We will get 2x 2nd rounders or something because of "commitments"

What a rabble we have become. Laughing stock of the AFL

Pyke needs to commit to sitting on his fist

On the contrary.

Hawks need to get the trade over the line, for several reasons:

They did the smart arse thing blowing the trade period up, would be a pointless exercise should they not land TB, not a good look in the Industry going forward, getting caught playing silly buggers.

• Hawks gave TB the commitment that they could get the trade done, not a good look coming up short, for other player thinking about a similar move. Hawthorn might be a club to avoid.

• Player Managers will have taken note, if you commit to a player and they don't do the deal - Red Flag for the future, as managers will be reluctant to advise their clients, to consider Hawks advances.

• Now this is not insignificant: Paul Conners who happens to own and operate one of the biggest AFL player management business, who manage TB. Conners phoned Hawthorn and gave them an absolute spray, for their little stunt Friday afternoon trading pick 14. Told them if they phone him up about trading one of his players from another Club in the future he will just hang up the phone and not return their calls.

Fair to say the onus in on the Poo's and Wee's to get this trade done to restore some semblance of credibility to their name as trading partners, both with other Clubs, Players and Player Managers.

We are in the driving seat with this one, we want get rogered over this trade, worst case TB is an Eagle in 2025.
TB will know that we were not the ones who blew up the trade.

My guess is that we trade TB to Hawthorn for a F1 & F2, deal goes down 20 minutes before the bell rings.

On the contrary.

Hawks need to get the trade over the line, for several reasons:

They did the smart arse thing blowing the trade period up, would be a pointless exercise should they not land TB, not a good look in the Industry going forward, getting caught playing silly buggers.

• Hawks gave TB the commitment that they could get the trade done, not a good look coming up short, for other player thinking about a similar move. Hawthorn might be a club to avoid.

• Player Managers will have taken note, if you commit to a player and they don't do the deal - Red Flag for the future, as managers will be reluctant to advise their clients, to consider Hawks advances.

• Now this is not insignificant: Paul Conners who happens to own and operate one of the biggest AFL player management business, who manage TB. Conners phoned Hawthorn and gave them an absolute spray, for their little stunt Friday afternoon trading pick 14. Told them if they phone him up about trading one of his players from another Club in the future he will just hang up the phone and not return their calls.

Fair to say the onus in on the Poo's and Wee's to get this trade done to restore some semblance of credibility to their name as trading partners, both with other Clubs, Players and Player Managers.

We are in the driving seat with this one, we want get rogered over this trade, worst case TB is an Eagle in 2025.
TB will know that we were not the ones who blew up the trade.
I hope you're right

If we get Tobie at pick 12 do all of our melts melt away?

Davo thinks we are a chance on his latest mock draft.
If we land Travaglia at 12 which is more like 15/16 it'd be because clubs reached for bo Allan, tauru and Lindsay not because Matt Clarke is a genius so the melts will continue for a while- granted in my opinion

On SM-A155F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back